Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Has anyone installed saddlebag guards on your SESG? Pictures? Impressions?  (Read 5630 times)

montess408

Unfortunately, I have layed my bike down twice already. I am not so sure the guard would protect the bag from a lay over, but it would give me a location to grab to lift the bike back up. I do not want to clutter up the look, but it may be a necessary evil. Would like to see some pictures if you have them. Thanks.

Take Care.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: Has anyone installed saddlebag guards on your SESG? Pictures? Impressions?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »

Unfortunately, I have layed my bike down twice already. I am not so sure the guard would protect the bag from a lay over, but it would give me a location to grab to lift the bike back up. I do not want to clutter up the look, but it may be a necessary evil. Would like to see some pictures if you have them. Thanks.

Take Care.

WOW  :'(. Maybe I should knock on wood cause I've never laid a MC down.  How did you do this?   :nixweiss:  Did you own a much lighter MC prior to this one and you're just not use to the weight?
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »

I'm guessing that you're using the front brake at slow speeds?  You might want to invest in the Ride Like A Pro videos if you're not able to take their course.

Until then, a simple short tie strap is the tool that you're looking for.  Loop it around the frame or foot board bracket (down low, not up high) and as you back your butt into the seat and grap the bar (with the handle bars turned away from you, you'll be able to walk your bike up backwards, using your legs and not your back.

My wife did it on more than one occassion when she dropped her Street Glide and I've seen several other women do it.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

100HP

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »

I have the 2011 Black diamond SESG and I added the Black saddle bag guards. They look fine on the bike and have gotten several good comments about them. Unfortunately I am unable to send any pics at this time.

sammy56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG Ruby red
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 05:05:44 PM »

I hope this may help.

montess408

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »

Thank you for the picture. That is what I needed. I was wondering about how the bar fit under the stock seat.
I am having issues with slow turn maneuvering. I have a Yamaha roadstar, it is like handlings a minibike compared with this bike. I do plan on getting into the rider courses.

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Inferno Orange
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:13:00 PM »

I've had them on mine from day 1. I don't think they look bad. I just give me a little more reassurance if it was to go over. Only had that happen once backing out of the building, but the highway pegs actually kept if from getting on the saddle bag.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:57:24 PM »

I like the water bottle attachment so getting a set too

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 09:15:52 PM »

I like the water bottle attachment so getting a set too

That was the main reason I put them on my SESG......the extra protection is not a bad thing either

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »

Hmmm... Interesting. And they ARE chrome. Mmmmm... CHROOOME! We LOVES chrome!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Texas Fat Boy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 09:44:25 PM »

I think they look fine. I put them on my last Street Glide that had extended bags.
I sold them when I traded bikes but I wish I had them back now.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »

I am having issues with slow turn maneuvering.

Sorry to hear about the drops, sometimes those are part of a learning curve. Like JC suggested, keep OFF the front brake in slow riding, use the rear brake for control. Apply steady dragging pressure on the rear brake, while slipping the clutch. You don't want to stop the bike, just drag the rear brake and slip the clutch. Also, learn to turn your head and commit your eyes where you want to go. This is difficult for some riders to learn as they always want to look down or in right front of the bike. Learn to snap your head over and put your chin on your shoulder. This will make your turn tighter and smoother.

If you are interested in a DVD, check with Jerry Palladino at www.ridelikeapro.com. I don't have any in stock as I am out of the country right now.

Please feel free to PM me any questions you have about the exercises and techniques. Just give me a day or so to get back to you as I am on the other side of the world.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 09:36:54 AM »

Not a very good picture, but I have a set of the slanted guards in black on my bike.

montess408

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 06:31:23 PM »

Hey, I made it through the Tail of the Dragon today and I did not drop my bike.   :huepfenjump3: We are vacationing in the smoky mountains this week.
Seriously, I was very tense it took a while to get more relaxed. Thanks for the information on using the rear brake during slow turn manuevers. I used that many times today. The tail of the dragon is a very challenging road.
I do plan on getting the DVDs on riding like a pro. I have taken the riders edge course on buell blast motorcycles. The safety director from my hog chapter conducts the class. He also does the skilled rider courses on your own bike. I will be signing up for that course.
Anyway I know practice and experience is the key. Thanks again guys for your help and information.

Take Care

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »

Hey, I made it through the Tail of the Dragon today and I did not drop my bike.   :huepfenjump3: We are vacationing in the smoky mountains this week.
Seriously, I was very tense it took a while to get more relaxed. Thanks for the information on using the rear brake during slow turn manuevers. I used that many times today. The tail of the dragon is a very challenging road.
I do plan on getting the DVDs on riding like a pro. I have taken the riders edge course on buell blast motorcycles. The safety director from my hog chapter conducts the class. He also does the skilled rider courses on your own bike. I will be signing up for that course.
Anyway I know practice and experience is the key. Thanks again guys for your help and information.

Take Care

Happy to hear that things are going better for you.., just remember to have lot's of patience  :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.