Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Greasing Neck Bearings  (Read 5432 times)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
Greasing Neck Bearings
« on: October 04, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »

So just like the 05 SEEG i go to lube the neck bearings on the SESG. I had pumped some in awhile back but decided to grease it until it starts to ooze out at top or bottom. Made me think of it when marty had to get his greased recenty on the road because it was bone dry and noisy. I cant believe how much it takes to get it greased. I pumped until my arm was tired and had to get another cartridge. Anyway for those who havnt done it or assumed the dealer did it you best start pumping :orange:

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Greasing Neck Bearings
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »

The bikes off the floor have little to no lube. Once you fill it up the next time it takes almost none.
Bill

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »

:nervous:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 01:54:53 PM »

When I greased my new '12 at its 1k service I pulled out the brand new pneumatic grease gun I had just purchased.  Big mistake.  If you think it takes a lot of pumping on a manual lever type grease gun, well I dang near wore out my finger pushing the button on that pneumatic gun before I finally saw some grease make it way out from around the neck.  Like muddypaws said the next time wasn't an issue.  But that first time - it sure does take a lot of grease!

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 02:13:05 PM »

What grease is best to use that won't liquify and run down left side upper fork slider
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »

Interesting, that when the stealer did my 1 K service they never greased these bearings.  I know this because when I took it to an independent shop 500 miles later to install some extras under my fairing the mechanic told me that the bearings were never greased.  He greased them, I know this because I can see the grease around the neck where it squeezed out.  I now know why the stealer never did it.., it was to much work.  :'(
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »

Well theres a lot of guys and gals with new bikes and id bet 90% of them dont know that the neck bearings dont come greased from the factory and the dealers wont do it either. I really dont get it. Theres a zerk fitting there ready to go but everyone seems to ignore it. Harley does make a special grease of course that you can go pay double for. I just put in whatever i have handy and after its full check it once a year. It has to improve handleing right?? :nixweiss:

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »

Well theres a lot of guys and gals with new bikes and id bet 90% of them dont know that the neck bearings dont come greased from the factory and the dealers wont do it either. I really dont get it. Theres a zerk fitting there ready to go but everyone seems to ignore it. Harley does make a special grease of course that you can go pay double for. I just put in whatever i have handy and after its full check it once a year. It has to improve handleing right?? :nixweiss:

Yes it did Van
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »

The fact that the cavity in the steering head between the two bearings isn't full of grease when the bike is shipped from the factory doesn't mean anyone did anything wrong.  The bearings are packed with grease when they are installed, but the factory doesn't also use the Zerk fitting to pump more grease into the cavity.  The Zerk is just there to make bearing maintenance easier later on.  Bikes without the Zerk, and that would include a whole lot of bikes, require removing the front end and removing the bearings when it's time for maintenance, just like the old style wheel bearings did.

All that grease oozing out of the bottom of the steering head and all over the place isn't lubricating anything (well, maybe the lower fork bracket and garage floor).  And unless you use a high volume air operated gun instead of a hand operated grease gun, you will be unlikely to ever get any to ooze out of the top because it will all be flowing out the bottom.  So how do you know the upper bearing really got properly lubed?  Gravity only works one way, so all that excess grease isn't necessarily doing much for that upper bearing.  It might keep the lower bracket from corroding however. ;)

As for a type of grease that doesn't liquefy and run out, good luck finding such a thing.  As long as Harley sticks with unsealed bearings you will have grease oozing out the bottom.  I just use paper towels to clean out the stuff that oozes out onto the lower bracket when I do my regular services or if I just happen to notice it while washing the bike.  As for those claims on the grease tubes that say they don't run or drip, see if you still believe them when you open the tube and have to immediately pour off a bunch of liquid.  Hmmmmmmmmm.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »

I use a grease used in the aviation industry to lubricate bearings inside bendix magnetos. Its good and thick and doesn't run out like the factory grease.  I'll check the name and post it when I get back to the hangar.  Only problem is it comes in a pint sized can and I have to hand pack it into a small tube to use it on my bike.  Doesn't thin out from the heat and really clings.
Jesus is Lord

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 07:41:49 PM »

TCM Bendix magneto grease P/N 10-27165, 1 lb. can, $69.75 available at Aircraft Spruce. I know, its expensive, but it's good stuff!  :2vrolijk_21:
Jesus is Lord

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 08:20:23 PM »

While I know it is a lot more work, how do I know, because I jsut finished doing it again, the only right way in my mind is pull it apart, clean & inspect the bearings, kack the bearing by hand, reinstall everything & set the preload properly on the bearings.

I use the red marine wheel bearing grease, I have used it for years, it sticks well to the bearings & packing them by hand it never leaks out.  I do it every 25k miles and the bearings always have grease when I take it apart.

But, if you have a dealer do it this way it costs a lot of money & they do not preload the bearings properly.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 09:32:57 PM »

Greased my 08 CUSE once when near new; never have done it again (now at 75K miles); my Kaw has not lube point and is at 68k, never been lubed.  I don't think it's necessary unless you plan to keep them forever.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 08:23:02 AM »

While I know it is a lot more work, how do I know, because I jsut finished doing it again, the only right way in my mind is pull it apart, clean & inspect the bearings, kack the bearing by hand, reinstall everything & set the preload properly on the bearings.

I use the red marine wheel bearing grease, I have used it for years, it sticks well to the bearings & packing them by hand it never leaks out.  I do it every 25k miles and the bearings always have grease when I take it apart.

But, if you have a dealer do it this way it costs a lot of money & they do not preload the bearings properly.

That must be the same stuff my mechanic uses, cause what oozed out is red and sticky  :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 08:44:39 AM »

I totally agree. And on most of the bikes I've owned over the years, including a Harley Dyna, it was the only way since there was no grease fitting on those bikes.  It's just a bigger PITA on a Touring model taking all the front end off to do it "the right way".  I assume that's why Harley stuck a fitting on the neck, but if they wanted it to be useful they should have put a seal at both ends of the neck to keep the grease in (and water and other contaminants out).  Letting it immediately ooze out the bottom isn't assuring the upper bearing gets properly lubed, and just hitting it with a grease gun instead of taking it all apart means the bearings and races never get properly inspected for pitting and flat spotting.

I remember not all that many years ago having to remove wheel bearings on a regular basis for cleaning, inspection, and greasing.  Then Harley joined the 20th century and finally started installing sealed bearings.  Maybe for the next century they can modernize their steering head bearings as well. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.