Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Street Glide vs. Road Glide  (Read 24769 times)

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

Re: Street Glide vs. Road Glide
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »

...Lastly my dear BSR did not like the bike at all.  She found that the airflow was directed over the windshield and hit her directly in the face.  I know I could have changed windshields perhaps but I really liked the look of the stock RUSE shield.  I've seen several aftermarket shields on RUSEs and simply did not like the way they looked or fit. ...

I had the same report from my BSR.  I test rode a FLTRU at Sturgis last year to see if the "improvements" helped, but no.  She couldn't wait to get back off it and behind a batwing.
Big Lew
IBA #595

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 01:50:20 PM »

the RG controls/faring/radio seems so far away for me when sitting on one and feels disconnected/distant to me. 

really like the fact that my headlight turns where I turn...a small thing but one I would miss.

everybody has to make their own decisions on which version they prefer, but the above statements are ones that you hear a lot, but are way off base.  first, the radio controls are only as far away as your thumbs....  and second, the only time that the batwing fairing points the headlight into your turn is during very slow speed parking lot maneuvers.  anything over that and you're countersteering, which actually is pointing your batwing headlight away from your turn while the fixed fairing headlights are pointing into the turn.....

but either way, you cant really go wrong.  both excellent bikes.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 03:18:20 PM »

I bought a 2010 FLHXSE.  It is currently under way to becoming a FLTRXSE.

At the time I bought my FLHXSE, there was no CVO RG option.  The year prior had one, and in 2011 we saw the CVO RGU.  By the time the 2012 CVO RGC came out, I was hooked on the look of the bike, and just couldn't justify starting over with a new bike.

I've ridden the RGs, and for me, the ride is that much better than any batwing I have ridden.  If you haven't already, you really need to spend some time in the saddle of each model to make a decision.

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 09:02:30 PM »

'the RG controls/faring/radio seems so far away for me when sitting on one and feels disconnected/distant to me. 
I really like the fact that my headlight turns where I turn...."

EVERYBODY has to make their own decisions on which version they prefer, but the above statements are the most common ones that you will repeatedly hear.  Here is what I dispute about those statements...first, the radio controls are only as far away as your thumbs, and the guages are at a better viewing angle.  Second, WHAT?  your car or truck doesnt either.  Normally, the only time that the batwing fairing points the headlight into a turn is during very slow speed maneuvers including hard right or left turns from a stop!.....

but either way, you cant really go wrong.  both are excellent bikes. but I ride a roadglide!!!    :bananarock:
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 10:42:38 PM »

Just a note. If you read my original post you will note all through it I stated that these were my opinions and observations. Everyone else has a different view of things as it should be. Yes, the radio controls are as close as your thumb but to me having the radio that far in front of you compared to a SG is a bit awkward for me. Also, you can't change a CD from the handlebar switches. As for the headlight deal, as stated it was a little thing but important to me. As a matter of fact I enjoy the light moving in the turn under slow speed/parking lot style maneuvers and yes it bothers me that auto headlights don't although you can get cars now with turn sensitive headlights.
We all have our likes/dislikes and as the originator of the post wanted input on his decision, I was attempting to give him mine.  It's so much fun seeing all the over reaction on all the comments. That's what makes this forum so much fun... ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:31:41 AM by Ultrarider1 »

Jerry/MD

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 10:53:37 PM »

I owned 2 Electra Glides before my present Road Glide. I will not go back to a batwing bike. For me the frame mounted fairing handles much better and the overall comfort on long rides is superb. Just my $0.02 on the subject.

Jerry

Tannehill Kid

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »

I have had two SG's and love riding them.  Have a buddy that has two RG's and I have ridden both of them and the ride is good but I would not give up the SESG for his SESG.  But on the other hand he feels just the opposite that I do.  So there you go two different people and two different opinions.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 11:17:32 PM »

I own 2 Road Glides. For me the RG rides "Big". For a big guy (6'3"+) that's important. I like the space between me and the instrument dash. My reach is plenty good to get to everything. When I ride an SG I feel like I am on a 3/4 scale bike. I know that sounds funny because they are on the same frame. However, with the SG dash crammed up in my face it just feels uncomfortable for me. If you aren't over 6' the SG might feel better to you. Like the folks said.. do a demo, buy what feels good to you.

DH

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 11:18:55 PM »

I own 2 Road Glides. For me the RG rides "Big". For a big guy (6'3"+) that's important. I like the space between me and the instrument dash. My reach is plenty good to get to everything. When I ride an SG I feel like I am on a 3/4 scale bike. I know that sounds funny because they are on the same frame. However, with the SG dash crammed up in my face it just feels uncomfortable for me. If you aren't over 6' the SG might feel better to you. Like the folks said.. do a demo, buy what feels good to you.

DH

Makes perfect sense. I am 5'6" and was looking at the '13 CVO Roadie but I couldn't do it. Ended up going back to the SG it fits me perfect!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 07:10:18 AM »

DH

i'm not a big guy, i'm only 5'4''.  but i also like the open feel of the roadglide fairing.  the batwing just feels to 'in your face' for me.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 07:24:39 AM »

Guess it never occurred to me that the batwing dash was that close and it seems just right to me at 6'2". But then I have shorter legs and a longer torso. I wouldn't mind the RG dash so much if they did something with the big oval thing around the radio and incorporated the gauges in the main dash. But as I've mentioned before, I need to rent one for a day or two and see what I'm missing. I'm just hung up on the batwing I and the dash layout. I'm definately warming up to the shark look though.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

rebelhoop

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 09:43:58 AM »

streetglides 4 ever!  No goofy dash, no pointed out of balance dual headlight... JAO!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 01:12:01 PM »

streetglides 4 ever!  No goofy dash, no pointed out of balance dual headlight... JAO!

rock on!  if there weren't any streetglides, then everyone would be riding roadglides and we wouldn't be different anymore :D

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »

I have spent time riding both.

Road glide is the one for me.  I think the road glide does much better on the interstate around 18 wheelers and in cross winds.

I think the road glide does better in twisties, and in slow speed parking lot, no weight shift.

I feel cramped or closed in on a Street glide.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 02:47:55 PM »

On a RG, windshield height is VERY critical, IMO.  Especially if you have a BSR.  Because the windshield is further away from your face/eyes, it is much easier for the top edge to get in your line of sight when going uphill, and that drives me nuts.  So you'll likely have to change windshields to find one that suits you on a RG, unless you don't mind looking through the windshield, then the choices are easier.  The face of the radio is further away too, so it's a little harder to reach things if you need to, but I rarely have to do that when riding down the road.  The RG "feels" like a bigger bike because of the fairing design.  The RG is affected a little more by direct crosswinds than the Batwing, but less affected by headwinds or big trucks in front of you.  And I do think the RG fairing design helps the bike stick to the road at higher speeds better...the Batwing is like pushing a piece of plywood into the wind when you get over a certain speed.  It's not a big deal, but there is a difference.  If you have a decent front end suspension under it, the RG definitely handles a little better in the twisties simply because there is no extra weight on the forks.  But we're talking nuances here, not dramatic differences.  Some small things:  I like having the two glove boxes up high on the RG fairing...they are quite handy for your wallet, cell phone, and other small, flat items.  I like the angle of the gauges, in general, but at certain times when the sun is behind you and the angle is just right, there is some glare off the gauge faces.  But that's true on the Batwing too, but seems more noticeable on the RG for some reason.

Saying all that...I like the RG better.  I like the "look" of the RG from the side.  Since this '11 SERGU will likely be my last HD, I got exactly what I wanted, and will run it until I am either tired of it, or too old to ride.  It's a keeper for me.  I would have no problem with a Batwing either, if I were looking today.  It really boils down to which one you like the looks of better...the differences in handling, wind control, etc. can be addressed with either bike.  Personally, I think the RG looks more "aggressive" from a side view, if that makes any sense.  I like the lines a little better...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 20 queries.