Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Street Glide vs. Road Glide  (Read 24938 times)

PA Harley

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze/Antique Gunstock
Street Glide vs. Road Glide
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:12:06 PM »

He Gone
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:58:54 AM by PA Harley »

do-dahman

• do-dahman
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Under George's nose
    • TX

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE, Ivory and Gold delivered 12/17/11
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
Re: Street Glide vs. Road Glide
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »

Hi Dan, you ask 6 guys you'll get a half dozen opinions. There's a reason the SG is H-D's largest selling bike. It is great looking! I traded my '10 Ultra Limited for my CVO RG. Mainly because of the weight of the fairing is off the forks. It is my personal opinion. I put 900+ days on both bikes although I am not as fatigued on the RG. I suggest you rent/borrow/test ride each a few times and put some miles on them in different conditions, especially on a windy day, to find your personal preference.
Good luck! You won't go wrong with either!
Dave
'84 FLT Tour Glide
5-speed
Blueprint stock engine
 '11 FLTRUSE
FuelMoto Header
Fullsac 2" Cores
Direct Link Tuned
Clearview shield 14.5" with vent
DayMaker Headlights
Sold 10/18
2017 FLHXSE
V&H Slipons

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:55:57 PM »

Dan I have both and consider the roadglide a better ride for me but the street glide also has its pros.The road glide at 120 mph is glued to the ground,like its on rails.The street glide is ok at speed but you get a little wiggle from the fairing not being fixed.The street glide has much less wind buffeting and more wind protection. After that its all about aesthetics and what you like.

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:11:42 PM »

Ridden both, own a Road Glide.  I like the looks of the RG and I think it handles better.  Both are good bikes, it kinda depends on what you like and which one make you smile when you walk into the garage.:)
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:15:38 PM »

I agree with both of these guys, have had both, now have a RG and for me the roadie is the only way to go. Once you go shark the rest you will park !
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »

It is best to have both, not to have had both. :P

As has been mentioned, the Road Glide has a lighter front end, so can be a little easier to maneuver.  It also has a more open and spacious cockpit.  The batwing fairing is somewhat claustrophobic in comparison.  Could be the differences in the way our bikes are set-up, but opposite what digga25 says, I get a lot less wind on my Road Glide than on my Electra Glide.  It feels more isolated and is definitely hotter in the summer (both bikes have lowers).

I like them both.  Both have a totally different feel and it is nice to be able to switch back and forth.  If you can, you should spend some time with each before dropping the coin to see if you have a preference.

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:35:09 PM »

I own a 12 cvo ultra and i wish it handled as good as the 12 year old cvo Road Glide that i traded in on it.
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 08:21:52 AM »

Well, I'm the 6th guy to comment and like do-dahman stated, you will get 6 different opinions.  I do agree that unless the money is burning a hole in your pocket, it's a great idea to rent both and see for yourself.  Personally, I like the Bat.  I have owned many EG's and ridden a couple RG's but I've never really warmed up to the fixed fairing.  Had a 2002 GW for 8 months and main reason I sold it was the fixed fairing.  To me, on the RG it seems like there is an awful lot of plastic hanging out in front of you to block some of your field of vision.  Yes, the SG/Bat wing fairing will also block some of your vision field but, in my opinion, not quite as much.  Also, the RG controls/faring/radio seems so far away for me when sitting on one and feels disconnected/distant to me.  Now, my buddy rides a SERG Skunk and absolutely loves it.  I'm not sure he would ever convert to the batwing.  That seems to be the general opinion here.  I also agree the RG feels lighter on the steering and handles different than the SG (different, not better...again, my opinion).  However, I like the feel of the batwing (put a whole lot of miles on the batwings since my first 1989 EG) and really like the fact that my headlight turns where I turn...a small thing but one I would miss.

Bottom line...everybody has different ideas.  Most will post go with the RG.  Give them both a try and decide for yourself.  Good luck on your decision and make sure to let us know which one swayed your inner rider... :2vrolijk_21:

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 08:26:33 AM »

I had the RG and now have a SG,the RG  was a better ride and had more room for the rider,the street glide is better looking,buy both.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »

As you can see, there are pros and cons to both.  Personally, I couldn't stand the wind buffeting on my RG and changed it to a batwing.  That made the ride so much better (for me and the BSR)! 

My best advice here is to test ride them for yourself.  The proof is in the pudding! 

Big Lew
IBA #595

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »

Andy and Don both have both and both have said on the long hauls it'd be the batwing fairing.

Personally, I much prefer the batwing fairing to the goldwing fairing.....I guess that's why everybody keeps saying the batwing looks better.  I dunno. :nixweiss:  But there's a reason they're sold out of Street Glides and have plenty of Road Glides left.  :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »

I just bought a 12 FLHXSE3 ( Street Glide ) I can't speak on the RG but I am wondering why you would go '11 SG over '12 SG? Personally I would buy the 12 it has the upgraded stereo that you are going to keep seeing and wishing you had!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 10:53:38 AM »

If you are looking for an 2011 SESG, here's one on the site...

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=80120.0

Just make sure to ride both a SG and RG before you jump in.... ;D

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 11:37:53 AM »

If you have the 015 2012 issue of HOG magazine they have a cover story article "Road vs. Street" which lays it all out for you. If you don't have access to it I could copy and post it. The last paragraph starts with "If your a current Road Glide rider, there's nothing more I need to say...and ends with once you swing your leg around one "there may be no coming back from the other side".  
Doc
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:29:01 PM by grandpadoc »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:09:55 PM »

I rode only fixed fairing bikes back in the 70s and 80s - Jap bikes with Vetter Windjammer fairings and lowers in winter.  When I got my first Harley Ultra and the bat wing I did not know how I would like it but it did not take much getting used to and I did like it.  Then in '11 when the RUSEs came out I jumped on that right away thinking I'd have the best of both worlds - a fixed fairing Harley with all the accoutrements that the bat wing Ultra Classic has.

And I liked the bike OK.  Front end is lighter but at road speed it doesn't really seem to make any difference to me.  I don't ride 100 mph+ and the stability of the RG at 70 to 80 mph was not noticeably better to me than the bat wing.  I don't really like all that extra space in the cockpit.  I like things closer and within ease reach.  I put the backrest as far forward as it will go on all my bikes as I like to sit up close but even with my 33" arm length I'd have to lean forward to reach the radio controls if I had to do something I could not do from the handlebar switches.

Any once it warmed the bike was HOT - unbearably so in summer.  Without the wing vents like the bat wing has you only option to direct air flow it by moving your arms and legs and that is not sufficient.  I keep the lowers on year round and just did not want to go without them.

Lastly my dear BSR did not like the bike at all.  She found that the airflow was directed over the windshield and hit her directly in the face.  I know I could have changed windshields perhaps but I really liked the look of the stock RUSE shield.  I've seen several aftermarket shields on RUSEs and simply did not like the way they looked or fit.

When the '12 CUSE7s hit the floor and my BSR saw that orange / black one that did it for her.  Probably would have kept the RUSE if not for that but after having gone back to the bat wing I am happy I did.  Not to offend any of by RG brethren but it just doesn't do it for me.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:13:34 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.