Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Moving turn signals off of the handlebar  (Read 13952 times)

metfancowboy

Moving turn signals off of the handlebar
« on: December 20, 2012, 07:43:34 PM »

I see a couple of options from HD,the kit to put them on the forks and the custom auxiliary light kit. Just wanting some ideas on which way to go. I don't know if I want the passing lamps and signals or just the kit to move them off the bar like the RK Customs. Ideas and pics are welcome.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Moving turn signals off of the handlebar
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 02:00:37 AM »

Personally never a fan of signals on the bars.  But what'dIknow.....  Just as an example to consider here's a Road King with the signals down like the Street Glides have and some aftermarket smaller spotlights.

metfancowboy

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 10:24:32 AM »

That looks pretty good. I wish someone would post some pics with aux lights so I could decide. The real question is do I want the light bar like all the other RK's,or do I want to mount the signals to the forks to keep the clean look the MoCo was going for in the first place with this bike.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »

That looks pretty good. I wish someone would post some pics with aux lights so I could decide. The real question is do I want the light bar like all the other RK's,or do I want to mount the signals to the forks to keep the clean look the MoCo was going for in the first place with this bike.

Check out a company called Headwinds.  Different light mounting entirely.  Much cleaner (to my eye anyway).  It's what's on the Road King pictured above.  Will try to find a better illustration...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »

This bracket functions as both a light bracket and nice big hunk of chrome to cover the bottom of the tree.

dave726

• CVO1: '13 FLHRSE5 Anniv #61/900
    • CVO2: '05 FLHRCI 95ci, 92hp, 102'#
    • CVO3: '00 FLHRCUI 95ci
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:55:48 AM »

I went with the H-D Custom Passing Lamps, 69818-06 and the Bullet Smoked turn signals underneath. I took the LED passing lights and LED headlight off my old RK and installed them too. Note the part number for these passing lamps includes the chrome lamp rings. If you get the other Custom Passing Lamp kit, it's intended for replacing the stock Lamps with the crossbar, so it includes butt connectors and no lamp rings.

I have not connected the passing lamps to the bike yet or removed the cruiser turn signals from the handlebars. I think I need to remove the nacelle to get at the wires to remove the old turn signals and wire up the new ones. I got a Delphi Packard Five-cavity Wide-range Crimping Tool for the terminals, rather than the very expensive Amp tool. It looks like it should do the job. I'll find out when it's warm enough to work on the bike in an unheated garage.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:04:19 PM by dave726 »
No regrets, no maybe’s, live for today.

pa1adin

• CVO1: FLHRSE5 AE #411
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:57:50 PM »

Here is what tincup64 did with his:

~P~

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »

Here is what I did.
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

pa1adin

• CVO1: FLHRSE5 AE #411
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 06:03:06 PM »

Here is what I did.

Have any side view pics?  That is exactly what I was thinking about doing to mine...right down to the visor trim rings.  :)

~P~

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »

Here you go
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 08:46:55 PM »

Pic 2
2013 FLTRXSE2

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »

Pic 3
2013 FLTRXSE2

CVORoadKing2013

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:21 AM »

jr1000

That looks great. Looking to do the same to mine when I get it. What Kit did you use to do this and were there any other parts that you needed?

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 09:12:04 AM »

This bracket functions as both a light bracket and nice big hunk of chrome to cover the bottom of the tree.

Hello Twolanerider
I have the Headwinds 2" spots, pretty much like yours with 60w Bulbs.
You ar most correct about mounting, one nice clean bracket and one bolt.
I also rewired the passing light power supply so that my Spots stay on on both Low and Hi. I have and inliner 15amp fuse tucked up in begind the RH Aux Power switch. The HD Jumper to do this has the fuse in the Headlight bucket.

I still like my turn signals up on my handlebars, I feel it make a wider line of light at night.
If and when I want to move my turn signals, I would certainly go back to Headwinds for one of these choices.

http://www.headwinds.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=headwinds01&Category_Code=01022003

To me as clean as can be and NOT that ewveryday HD Passing Light over Turn signal look.

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

ICTCVOSE4

• CVO1: 08 FLHRSE4
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »

I removed my signals from the bars when installing 17" apes and went with a headlight with LED signals.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.