Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Time in shop for major repairs; top end or bottom end rebuild or full rebuild.  (Read 6367 times)

turbo357

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2

How long is acceptable before you start "*pushing for completion" of major engine projects?(* Some may translate, raising heck, getting upset or worse.)
95 inch 10.5:1 compression pistons (manual compression releases)
SE HTCC Heads
SE 257 cams
48mm tb from Speeds Performance plus
Arlen Ness Big-sucker air filter
RevTech close ratio 6 speed (@3100rpm at 70mph in 6th)
Vance&Hines Pro-Pipe
104hp/98tq

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon

Depends on what is being done. Head porting/polishing?, crank rebuild,? Is all work being done in house or sent out?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

I was in the old days (70s) a auto mechanic I'd pull the motor out strip it down do a complete overhall motor back in drive it out of the shop on the 3rd day. That was v6 and 4 cyl. Can't see why a shop can't do it in a week. To take 2 weeks or more to me, that says they don't have a very good parts stock to do the job at hand, or they got their mechanic bouncing from one job to another. Seen it, been there,it all comes down to poor management in the shop and it's the mechanic that gets the ear full.
If you know be for hand what has to be done have the shop forman confirm all parts are at hand to do the job. None of this "oh" we didn't have this part, you needed that part, "all that is" is a stall tacktic that they didn't have  all the parts to begin with. Like I say, bin there!!!.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4

Depends on what is being done. Head porting/polishing?, crank rebuild,? Is all work being done in house or sent out?

Agree with Jim's comments... 

Was a completion date ever part of the agreement or ever stated by the vendor?  Is communication flowing freely as to the status and any issues?  As long as communication is happening and you understand what's what, I'd be patient.  If not, I'd pay a visit and seek some facts...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

turbo357

Last year I took my motorcycle in to a local HD shop to get the hydraulic cam chain tensioner installed. They found that I also needed new lifters and cams. I waited almost 3 months to get it back.  In november it went there again because when they were doing the conversion, they ruined the crank shaft when they used a grinder to clean it up. They are making it good by giving me a new fly wheel and rods. It been 2 months already. The last call I got they said it would be done before Christmas.
SE HTCC Heads
SE 257 cams
Vance&Hines Pro-Pipe
104hp/98tq

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

Three months is way too long for cams, lifters, and tensioners.  If you have parts in hand, that's a one day job, IF nothing else was wrong because of the tensioner failure.  Grinding on your crankshaft?   :vrolijk27: :vrolijk27:

I'd say you need to find yourself another place to get work done.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool

Three months is way too long for cams, lifters, and tensioners.  If you have parts in hand, that's a one day job, IF nothing else was wrong because of the tensioner failure.  Grinding on your crankshaft?   :vrolijk27: :vrolijk27:

I'd say you need to find yourself another place to get work done.

+1
The last time I had any engine work done it was on the '01 Fatboy and it took less than a week (about three days if I remember) to install the  S&S gear drive cams, new lifters, "quick install" pushrods and dial it all in on the Dyno.

What happened to  the crank to require them to "clean it up"  using a grinder??? Did it get damaged due to a tensioner failure or was it damaged due to something the "mechanic" did during the removal/installation?? :oops:

IMHO it's time to find another shop.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

turbo357

What happened to  the crank to require them to "clean it up"  using a grinder??? Did it get damaged due to a tensioner failure or was it damaged due to something the "mechanic" did during the removal/installation?? :oops:

IMHO it's time to find another shop.

Yes. If they will ever get my bike back, I'll definitely take it to another shop (70miles further way).  Even for the small stuff. 
SE HTCC Heads
SE 257 cams
Vance&Hines Pro-Pipe
104hp/98tq

turbo357

The mechanic said he couldn't get the new high volume oil pump on. So he use a dremel grinder to clean the crank shaft up. Last spring that original high volume oil pump broke apart. They give me a new oil pump. Then it happened again just before thanksgiving. They admitted the pumps were breaking because the run out was too much out of tolarance because of the grinding.
SE HTCC Heads
SE 257 cams
Vance&Hines Pro-Pipe
104hp/98tq

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Last year I took my motorcycle in to a local HD shop to get the hydraulic cam chain tensioner installed. They found that I also needed new lifters and cams. I waited almost 3 months to get it back.  In november it went there again because when they were doing the conversion, they ruined the crank shaft when they used a grinder to clean it up. They are making it good by giving me a new fly wheel and rods. It been 2 months already. The last call I got they said it would be done before Christmas.

Are you still waiting? have you seen your bike? do they let you go in to the work shop to see what their doing? Have they shown you the old parts that their changing and show you why they had to change the parts?
Man change shops.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool

The mechanic said he couldn't get the new high volume oil pump on. So he use a dremel grinder to clean the crank shaft up. Last spring that original high volume oil pump broke apart. They give me a new oil pump. Then it happened again just before thanksgiving. They admitted the pumps were breaking because the run out was too much out of tolarance because of the grinding.

That is unfreaking believable  :o  

You my friend have way more patience than I do......

never mind completion of the (hack) job, I would be pushing for a new motor or maybe a factory rebuild - regardless of your current mileage, and the fact that it's an '01 makes no difference at all as far as I'm concerned because their tech scrood the engine up.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 07:02:21 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue

WOW !!! 3 months are you kidding me !!! NO WAY.
DND

Fed68

• Full CVO Member

I'm still shaking my head at taking a dremel to the crank shaft to install the oil pump!!!!!

turbo357

Well, I went by there today to check on it. They said it was ready and they have been trying to contact me. FUNNY, I never received any calls or had any missed calls from them. Well, I glad I've got it back.  Everything seems good on it.
SE HTCC Heads
SE 257 cams
Vance&Hines Pro-Pipe
104hp/98tq

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com

There is NO way my bike is going to sit in any shop three months, even if it's during the winter months! I would be on the phone or down there everyday if needed to be sure they get it done. In my opinion they just took advantage of you. My 05 was in the shop for almost a month when I had the crank replaced and that was because I sent it of to be plugged and balanced. Plus, I was out of town and told them I'm in no hurry. Three months is rediculous, no way it takes three weeks let alone 3 months. :nixweiss: Just saying...

:bananarock:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.