Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Second thoughts about my new 07 CVO  (Read 2871 times)

maia812

Re: Second thoughts about my new 07 CVO
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 11:01:53 AM »

Don't know about recalls but since 1996 I have put over 150,000 miles on one evo and 4 twin cams with no recalls and only two seal problems.  I agree, just ride.  One more thing, I don't modify much other than AC/pipes etc.  Run Synthetic Oil and change it about 5K miles. 

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »

Why bother reading a thread if that's all you have to add, can any one say (post count whor*)

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »

:'(
Why bother reading a thread if that's all you have to add, can any one say (post count whor*)
Do it now!

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 06:11:51 PM »

I've had an 07 and I have an 09

I would buy an 09 or newer, it's an unbelievable difference

jmho

Marty
Thanks Marty I have decided against the 07.

jayray00SERG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red FLTRSE1
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 07:21:14 PM »

rented a 2012 FLTRUltra for a 320 mile day in AZ last spring. My 2000 SERG is more stable, has just as much poop. I saved $24K when I decided to keep mine. I don't buy all the new frame hype. Seems like the new frame has a shorter wheelbase and a higher center of gravity. I only used 6th above 70mph. Overall I am happy with my "old" bike.

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 09:33:02 PM »

rented a 2012 FLTRUltra for a 320 mile day in AZ last spring. My 2000 SERG is more stable, has just as much poop. I saved $24K when I decided to keep mine. I don't buy all the new frame hype. Seems like the new frame has a shorter wheelbase and a higher center of gravity. I only used 6th above 70mph. Overall I am happy with my "old" bike.
Thanks for that reply , kinda what I was thinking, I think I'll ride my 01 a little wile longer, then i'm thinking S&S T124 for the old fat girl! ::)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »

I'd have to join that choir.  I won't totally dismiss the new frame.  There are improvements.  But with the right work our old bikes can do very well.  The power band is good too.  Only one consequential that I'd do is address the gear ratio.  RPMs are too high on the highway.  The old 95" SERGs really need a six speed or a gearing change.  Aside from that they are sweet rides.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2013, 10:38:04 AM »

if it were not for the speedometer problem i would have changed to a 30 tooth sprocket long ago... still will when the belt fails.

its, so far, the only thing on a new bike i actually want vs what i have on my 07

to

flhxi2go

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »

change the primary gearing to 25/36 and that will make you're final drive at 3.15 like all 02-06 touring bikes and the speedo will not be affected.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 11:24:32 AM »

:-\  A newbie grading the replies......  Some advice.... if you don't want to deal with replies, don't ask the question.  I thought the answer from Ironhorse was a very good one.

Thanks for the thoughtless and useless reply.

"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »

changing the primary gearing - its a LOT more money, work, custom machining - than changing the rear pulley, modify the swing arm - and add tts

at LOT more money.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »

:P flame away  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

zn14

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »

If you like the looks of the 07 keep your carbed 01 and paint to your liking.  the 01 is a better more reliable bike.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 01:18:22 PM »

If you like the looks of the 07 keep your carbed 01 and paint to your liking.  the 01 is a better more reliable bike.

Well the original poster did some good upgrades, like ditching the M&M for a Carb.

And while the engine and transmissions were well built, speaking only for myself based on the experiences with my '01 Ultra, I know there are some other areas of those '01 and older bikes that could use improvements. Having gone through four stators I know the electrical systems are challenged at best. The rear swing arm is the old hollow "box end", where the axle passes through. They have a propensity for cracking all the way through. On my bike I changed out the swing arm, axle, and bushings to the '02 later and used the swing arm pivot axle kit from Howard at motorcycle metal. I also used poly bushings for the swing arm pivot shaft too. Another issue those bikes have is wiring. For a while there HD used some lower quality wire. The copper strands had a tendency to break inside the insulation from heat and flexing. It was difficult to find as the breaks were not visible and with movement came intermittent electrical issues. Common breaking spots were at the injectors caused by heat, engine shaking, and vibration, and along the right side of the frame behind the fairing caused by flexing and road vibrations.

Like the original poster I really liked my '01. However due to age and a whole bunch of these type nagging issues I finally sold it and picked up my '06 CVO Ultra.

Based on all the previous posts and his replies, I'm sure that whatever decision the original poster makes, it will be ideal for him.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2013, 12:05:08 AM »

:-\  A newbie grading the replies......  Some advice.... if you don't want to deal with replies, don't ask the question.  I thought the answer from IronHorse was a very good one.

Newbie here I'll grant u that ! All useful info greatly appreciated!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.