Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Second thoughts about my new 07 CVO  (Read 2870 times)

silverone

• Full CVO Member
Second thoughts about my new 07 CVO
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:38:04 AM »

Due to the weather, I have not had the opportunity to test ride the 07 ultra classic so I spent the time reading and learning about this new breed of Harleys, I had to do some extraordinary things to my 01 ultra to make it run.  It had inferior pretty much everything from the fuel injection to the cams and the heads spent a lot of money on the top end, had a Harley dealer do it once which was a total waste of money then I tore it down myself put in the fueling oil pump, lifters, Andrews gear drive cams, which by the way are quieter than my chain drive cams were.  It's putting out 100 foot pounds of torque and 97 horsepower, I went from fuel injection to a Mikuni 42 CARB branch flowed heads branch pistons 10 1/2 to 1 compression and the bike does run great I never had it professionally tuned with my crane ignition but I did have it dyno tuned on the carburetor settings, which was also a waste of money as he couldn't get any more power out of the motor than I was getting out of my garage tuning it by ear and seat of my pants!
 Everything I've read about the CVos I'm going to have to do everything that I did to my 01 just to make it last and the 01 is paid for I could put some money in it stroke it or whatever, get some more cubic inches out of it it's only a 95 inches.
 My old 01 has about 50,000 miles on it and it's not as pretty as it was when it was new, and the 07 CVO is one of the most beautiful bikes I have seen, not to mention my wife says buy it!
 So what do you say guys convince me, this bike has had all the recalls and everything done on it to repair the O7 factory defects it has a V&H true duals stage one kit and a screaming eagle race tuner supposed to have 115 foot pounds of torque it would be nice to get back to a fuel injected bike again, and I'm getting it for 21 grand it was a 38,000 dollar motorcycle new 26,000 miles.  But I'm still going to have to go in the motor to fix the factory defects even if I keep stock compression and everything else, like I said guys convince me as you can probably tell I'm very conflicted I don't need another project.  And on top of all of that I have to try to sell the 01 in this economy I didn't even consider having the dealership take it in trade you know they wouldn't give me crap for it.
 Sorry for going long! :-\

twistedcherokee

Re: Second thoughts about my new 07 CVO
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 01:13:09 AM »

:worthless:
They both have their pro's & con's. I test rode a 2010 Limited & was not impressed enough to pursue trading up, even though I know that it is a better bike than my 99 Ultra. But I liked the way my bike is compared to the 2010. Maybe it is because I have ridin mine more & only put a few miles on the Limited. Or maybe it was because I could not afford the Limited & I just told myself that I liked mine better. Both are nice bikes. I ma lucky to have either one. Bring it out here to Colorado & I will ride it for you & let you know if it is a keeper. Either one or both. Good luck

Toby
1999 Ultra Classic  95 CI, 2005 SG wheels, Fullsac TD

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:51:44 AM »

You say the bike has had all the recalls and stuff done that was prone to failure on the 07's, so just ride it and enjoy. Thing is, the more you read on these forums, the more we end up worrying about our bikes blowing up, when I'm sure in reality and in viewing the total picture, its only a few bikes that have issues.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 11:31:44 AM »

:worthless:
They both have their pro's & con's. I test rode a 2010 Limited & was not impressed enough to pursue trading up, even though I know that it is a better bike than my 99 Ultra. But I liked the way my bike is compared to the 2010. Maybe it is because I have ridin mine more & only put a few miles on the Limited. Or maybe it was because I could not afford the Limited & I just told myself that I liked mine better. Both are nice bikes. I ma lucky to have either one. Bring it out here to Colorado & I will ride it for you & let you know if it is a keeper. Either one or both. Good luck

Toby
thanks for the reply,  I'm coming out to Sturgis this year you'll have to meet me there. Still not sure which one I'll be riding.  ;) 

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:18:14 PM »

Don't know about recalls but since 1996 I have put over 150,000 miles on one evo and 4 twin cams with no recalls and only two seal problems.  I agree, just ride.  One more thing, I don't modify much other than AC/pipes etc.  Run Synthetic Oil and change it about 5K miles. 
Do it now!

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »

You say the bike has had all the recalls and stuff done that was prone to failure on the 07's, so just ride it and enjoy. Thing is, the more you read on these forums, the more we end up worrying about our bikes blowing up, when I'm sure in reality and in viewing the total picture, its only a few bikes that have issues.
Thanks I agree, I can get a warranty on it just to make sure its not a lemon. I just don't want to have work on it to fix things Like oiling issues and such.

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »

Don't know about recalls but since 1996 I have put over 150,000 miles on one evo and 4 twin cams with no recalls and only two seal problems.  I agree, just ride.  One more thing, I don't modify much other than AC/pipes etc.  Run Synthetic Oil and change it about 5K miles. 
The 07 was the 1'st year for the 110 It had some recalls my 01 was just a pig and couldn't get out of its own way. But if you remember they were hard to find and buy back then.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 02:05:37 PM »

01 was the last year for the inferior MM fuel injection system. Delphi system since 02 much better.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 08:12:57 PM »

Stay away, you'll have headaches and nightmares.  :'(
Jesus is Lord

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »

you should consider the lifters with that kind of mileage.  Not a recall, but have been know to fail at above 20K miles.  S&S a good options for lifters and adjustable pushrods.  This will also reduce some of the top end noise.  Might want to consider a cam while you're in it.  You need a good tune to ensure the heat is manageable

2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:10:37 AM »

How about this,....

Buy the bike and ride it. If you like it, keep it. If you don't sell/trade for another. If you don't like that one, sell/trade it for another. Repeat until happy.

Too easy.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 09:24:59 AM »

you should consider the lifters with that kind of mileage.  Not a recall, but have been know to fail at above 20K miles.  S&S a good options for lifters and adjustable pushrods.  This will also reduce some of the top end noise.  Might want to consider a cam while you're in it.  You need a good tune to ensure the heat is manageable

Thanks for the thoughtful and informational reply.

silverone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »

How about this,....

Buy the bike and ride it. If you like it, keep it. If you don't sell/trade for another. If you don't like that one, sell/trade it for another. Repeat until happy.

Too easy.

Mark
Thanks for the thoughtless and useless reply.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »

I've had an 07 and I have an 09

I would buy an 09 or newer, it's an unbelievable difference

jmho

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 10:19:37 AM »

Lots of opinions and perspectives.  I've had my '07 SEUC2 since Nov 06 and suffered through all the first year 110 headaches.  So many days in the shop dealing with the head gasket/oil leak/cylinder sleeves/compression release problems I was ready to push it off a bridge.  But I didn't and it now has 84k on it.  Got a RUSE in '11 and now have a '12 CUSE7.  Between those two bikes I put over 30k on them so I am well acquainted with the new bikes also.  But my wife won't let go of the '07 - she loves it and I have to agree with her, I do too.  The newer bikes have some pluses but the older style bikes imo handle just fine and are not nearly as top heavy.

I recently had a catastrophic engine failure due to failed cam bearing/lifters.  Don't know what went first but that failrue is not unique to the 110s and can (and does) happen to the 96s and 103s.  Thank goodness for ESP.  So get your ESP, ride and enjoy your bike.  I've resigned myself that with the kind of miles I ride I'll be either trading bikes quite often or be faced with some engine problem(s) as the miles add up.  That's the ticket to the dance and I'm willing to pay it.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.