Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Wobbling at 110mph  (Read 17908 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Wobbling at 110mph
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2013, 06:46:31 PM »

Before I have back track, do non cvo's, but still a FLH Harley count in this Russ?   ::)
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »

Was heading north on i-380 in NY today - open road, nice and curvy for an Interstate.  I usually keep it to 8 or 9 over in unfamiliar areas as I don't know what I can get away with.  I see in my rear view a bike gaining FAST.  As he approaches, I roll on the throttle and fall in behind.  It's a BMW K1600GT and hauling a$$.  For the next 30 miles we cruised mostly between 90 and 100, topping out at 118 (according to Garmin).  The optimistic speedometer was buried at max speed.   I have pushed over 100 before, but not like this time for extended periods, including the curves and hills. 

Not a wobble in sight - solid as a rock, even with the crappy stock suspension, roll-aboard computer bag on the pillion, and premium tour pak rack bag on the rack.  Pirelli Night Dragons on the rims, Klock Werks Flare Windshield on the Bat Wing, and 71K on the clock.

YMMV
Spada84
NoSofa!

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2013, 09:14:22 AM »

Very interesting comments Kraut.  What was the stable mechanical top speed considered to be for the earlier touring models before the '09s?  spyder

about the same as today since they started the TC 88 :-) Harley used to state in the manual though that speed over 80 mph might be unsafe. But that was in the old days before the new EC consumer laws ::)

I never really trusted my 05 FLHRCI (true track equipped!) above 100 mph.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »

I'd be interested in knowing if Dyna Beads would help in the front tire at high speed.  I run them in my front tire on my RG and it is really stable, been to 110 and that was fast enough--once.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Snowyone

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 02:08:04 PM »

After all the obvious things are checked I would try the Dyna beads mentioned above.  Put them in my Fatboy and it made a wonderful difference.  It had a wobble but was in the 30 to 40mph range and it went away and boy howdy was it ever smooth.  Also Custom Cycle engineering has come out with a steering stabilizer for the Glides and that would be a real plus if everything cks out.  Don't use it as a crutch but as an addition.  And in closing I haven't heard so many chicken chits for Harley riders in one group as this.  Hell ya I'm going to try it out and get away with it as much as possible.  ON that road you better have a bike with bright colors or a GPS locator cause if you go off the road the only way they will find you is the buzzards circling. 

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »

For people on the east coast that want to ride fast on a closed coarse this is exciting to do or even just watch until you can visit the salt flats some time.  You might really be surprised how much a Harley speedo is off when it's actually clocked at the end of a measured mile.  Setting a record is a lot harder than people might think.   Go to the east coast timing association http://ecta-lsr.com/ there they have links to Southern California timing association and the salt flats.     
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2013, 11:36:15 AM »

I'd be interested in knowing if Dyna Beads would help in the front tire at high speed.  I run them in my front tire on my RG and it is really stable, been to 110 and that was fast enough--once.

I am not sure but I don't think so at least not the beads alone.  I used simular product and even mercury filled disc and at high speeds they decreased in performance
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2013, 07:48:03 AM »

For people on the east coast that want to ride fast on a closed coarse this is exciting to do or even just watch until you can visit the salt flats some time.  You might really be surprised how much a Harley speedo is off when it's actually clocked at the end of a measured mile.  Setting a record is a lot harder than people might think.   Go to the east coast timing association http://ecta-lsr.com/ there they have links to Southern California timing association and the salt flats.     

Nope.  Last three or four Harley's my speedometer is off by quite a bit.  If I set cruise by my GPS showing 77mph, the bike speedometer is dead on 80 mph.

I have also checked no stretches of interstate where they have a marked mile, not the mile markers.  Set the bike dead at 60 mph and it took longer than 60 seconds to cover the distance. 

Seems my last three, the 09, the 12 and the 13 are 77 on GPS is 80 on speedometer, same with a friends 12 an 13.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2013, 12:21:25 PM »

GPS speed, if out on the open road, is always going to be accurate.  All three of my most recent HD bikes read 3 mph faster than the GPS.

If you have a TTS tuner, you can correct the speedometer reading.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »

GPS speed, if out on the open road, is always going to be accurate.  All three of my most recent HD bikes read 3 mph faster than the GPS.

If you have a TTS tuner, you can correct the speedometer reading.
Is there a second or two delay with the GPS?  :-\  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2013, 05:32:04 PM »

Is there a second or two delay with the GPS?  :-\  spyder

Spyder, what Terry is saying is with the cruise set, the speedo will be showing 80, while the GPS indicates your true speed is 77, for example.  That's been my experience, too.  3 mph difference between the two with the speedo reading higher.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2013, 05:45:23 PM »

Spyder, what Terry is saying is with the cruise set, the speedo will be showing 80, while the GPS indicates your true speed is 77, for example.  That's been my experience, too.  3 mph difference between the two with the speedo reading higher.

Yeah, got that.  Mine is 3 mph optimistic at about those speeds when measured against my GPS when held at a steady speed.....but seems that there is a 'delay' with the GPS reading of a second or two, so you have to set a speed and hold it  steady to get that measurement.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »

Yeah, got that.  Mine is 3 mph optimistic at about those speeds when measured against my GPS when held at a steady speed.....but seems that there is a 'delay' with the GPS reading of a second or two, so you have to set a speed and hold it  steady to get that measurement.  spyder

Not to make it too complicated, but it depends on several things.  How many satellites the GPS is "seeing" at any given moment in time.  It needs to be at least 4 to get a really accurate reading.  Most GPS devices, like a Garmin, have about 12 channels, so it is possible for them to "see" up to 12 at a time, but you'd have to be out in the desert or something.  There are 27 in earth orbit (that we can use?).

Long story short...there is a slight delay, mostly from processing the signals with our little GPS units.

I've got a Garmin C76 (?)....it's a handheld unit I use if out in the woods, on a lake, etc.  It can give you position and altitude, but it also shows how many satellites it's seeing, and if you don't have at least three, it won't tell you altitude, and the positioning will be off some too, so if you're down in a "holler", it lies a little, but is still close enough for horseshoes.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 01:42:45 PM »

Not to make it too complicated, but it depends on several things.  How many satellites the GPS is "seeing" at any given moment in time.  It needs to be at least 4 to get a really accurate reading.  Most GPS devices, like a Garmin, have about 12 channels, so it is possible for them to "see" up to 12 at a time, but you'd have to be out in the desert or something.  There are 27 in earth orbit (that we can use?).

Long story short...there is a slight delay, mostly from processing the signals with our little GPS units.

I've got a Garmin C76 (?)....it's a handheld unit I use if out in the woods, on a lake, etc.  It can give you position and altitude, but it also shows how many satellites it's seeing, and if you don't have at least three, it won't tell you altitude, and the positioning will be off some too, so if you're down in a "holler", it lies a little, but is still close enough for horseshoes.
Very Impressed, great post, understandable!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »

Ha!  I've got one of those little things also....takes awhile for mine to lock in on the sats, but it was 'free' for test driving a car, so, can't complain about it.  :D spyder
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.