Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Wobbling at 110mph  (Read 17903 times)

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: Wobbling at 110mph
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2013, 07:20:35 PM »

I have a 2012 CVO RG and I have had the speedometer buried at 120 in 5th and took off in 6th much faster with no wobble.  I changed to a metzeler rear tire and all of a sudden I would get a bad wobble around 75 mph and then it would go away if I went faster or slower. HD blamed the rear tire and put a new stock tire on and the wobble went away.  They tightened the steering head bearings also.

Not sure which was the culprit in my case, but when they did my 10k tune up, it solved itself:perhaps it was one of the usual suspects you guys laid out for me. My service tech made the list. My mechanic did the neck bearings at 10m, maybe it was that, don't know

Happy to hear the problem went away!   :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2013, 03:17:52 AM »

LOL.... open stretch of road and some fresh power mods.... I'll be honest, I'd do the exact same thing.

We dont add power to putt around like __________ <---(insert derogatory term here)

I've had mine well into the triple digit territory and didnt experience what you describe, but then both of mine were/are Road Glides.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2013, 03:46:10 AM »

LOL.... open stretch of road and some fresh power mods.... I'll be honest, I'd do the exact same thing.

We dont add power to putt around like __________ <---(insert derogatory term here)

I've had mine well into the triple digit territory and didnt experience what you describe, but then both of mine were/are Road Glides.
I hit 110 a few weeks ago with plenty of throttle left when I backed off. I didn't have any wobble but when you get up past 90 on a SG the front wheel starts to feel a bit light. Gotta get the cobwebs out every now and then  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2013, 08:51:18 AM »

Glade to here it's fixed now no need to go 110 for a wile I guess ( Only Messing )
DND

msemersky

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2013, 07:07:34 PM »

I have stock suspension and my wobble usually starts around 110 - 115.  I can get the Garmin to show 127 but haven't been able to get it any faster.  Just running Fulsac's software, head pipe, and muflers.

MSS

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2013, 08:11:33 PM »

I have stock suspension and my wobble usually starts around 110 - 115.  I can get the Garmin to show 127 but haven't been able to get it any faster.  Just running Fulsac's software, head pipe, and muflers.

MSS

What was your speedometer indicating when the Garmin was showing 127?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2013, 07:55:58 PM »

No wobble at 120, just red lights and handcuffs ..
Letz Ride

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2013, 05:47:59 PM »

So far, the wobble thing has been fairly consistent for me in regards to 45-60 MPH speed in curves.  I found that with the Dunlops, if my rear tire lost any pressure, the front end wobbled in the curve and under hard deceleration.  As soon as I added air, or put new tires, it ceased.  I had Michelin Commander II tires put on the bike in the last tire change and so far, no wobble - solid. 

I did notice wobbling when riding down HWY 29 south of Hollister a while back, over 115 (Dunlops).  My GPS noted a top speed of 121 that day on my '07 Ultra.  (In the past, I hit 124 on a Suzuki GS750EZ and 127 on a GL1800, per GPS.)  It still felt good, but not quite as stable.  I agree with the above statements about the faring and lack of wheel contact with the ground.  Those are a bad combination if compromised.  But, with the right suspension, that should not be a problem.  Unfortunately, I'm still riding the stock suspension on my 07, but that will be changed out in the next month or so.   :huepfenjump3: 

So many things can be said about speed, but being in the right place, with the right equipment and weather really makes it an interesting experiment, if done right. 

Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2013, 09:09:25 PM »

I hit 110 a few weeks ago with plenty of throttle left when I backed off. I didn't have any wobble but when you get up past 90 on a SG the front wheel starts to feel a bit light. Gotta get the cobwebs out every now and then  :2vrolijk_21:

I concur....  :)

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »

Had my RG over 110 with a 23" and pickard trees and not even a wiggle!

:pineapple:

You need a RG man!

Yea if the fairing wasn't so ugly. IMHO. :oops:
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »

Speed wobbles can occur whenever something starts a vibration that matches a resonant frequency of the wheels. A resonant frequency is one at which your motorcycle will vibrate very easily; a particular motorcycle may have multiple resonant frequencies. The starting point may be a bump in the road, a rough patch in the road, or some combination of these factors. Other potential contributing factors include the small torques resulting from wheel rotation and the tiny lateral oscillations that spinning wheels make if they're not aligned with absolute perfection.
Your motorcycle will go through various "zones" of oscillatory stability and instability as it accelerates up to its highest speed. you might even compare this to musical notes or octaves of relative vibrational resonance.

Steering dampners are made to help with this problem as the main dampner ( you ) cannot always handle the correction of the vibrations.
The best advise is to slow down, as this can be a fatal but also unavoidable occurrence and even though the problem may go away with more speed the best way to take the bike out of that particular resonance range is to back off.

The tread of your tires could also be a contributing factor, particularly the front one. different treads have different resonant properties.

In addition to above, get both wheels statically and dynamically balanced. It reduces wobble, increases road holding and reduces tire wear and rider fatigue. Check forks and swing arm for correct operation. A lack of fork oil and too much side play in the swing arm are sources of vibration. Check panier box lids are fitting properly and are locked. Lid 'chatter' in the wind can be one of those resonances mentioned above that sets wobble off.

Now that was a well thought out articulate rebuttal, now your objection is denied. Hehe. Remember My Cousin Vinny?
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »

I always felt like my Harley was like a musical instrument....I just don't like it making the 'trills' & 'slurs'.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2013, 04:59:26 PM »

Mine is fine at 110, not that I will get many chances to go that speed but some roads here are not heavily patrolled by cops.

On the other hand we have a load of suicidal Deere running around.

bigskyroadglide

• Junior CVO Member
  • Live like today is your last day
    • MT

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide CVO Skunk
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2013, 07:21:46 PM »

My 12 CVO RG is very stable at 110.  Fastest i have ever had it was running out of numbers on the speedo.  Speedo is off 3 to 4 MPH so 120 = 116 or 117.  with 17K on the clock, the engine with my fullsac x pipe and full sac recores & PV makes hitting this speed easier.  Bike has always been rock solid, just like my previous 3 RG's.

Had an 04 batwing that experienced the same problem only at lower speed.  Would start to wobble at 95 and you would have to back off.  I added a brace(true trac) to the tranny, changed the fork fluid to heavy changed the front motor mount and installed new tires (front and rear)  still had the problem.  Got pissed off at my inability to fix and stripped the batwing front end off and installed the RG fixed fairing.  No more wobble!!  Weighted the batwing inner and outer fairing.  Almost 20 lbs of additional weight on the front forks.  figured the wind resistance was causing the wobble at speed and the fixed fairing seemed to cure the problem.  Been riding RG's ever since.  Still got the 04 and its still rock solid above 95 and well into triple digits and its still got the RG fairing on it.

Short of having loose steering head bearings, or a bad tire.  Based on my limited experience, I think your batwing is causing most of the issue.  javascript:void(0);

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2013, 08:51:51 PM »

:nixweiss:TWO THUMBS UP LOVE THE ROADGLIDE FOR THAT VERY REASON
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 25 queries.