Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: Regret buying a 2013 CVO Ultra :-(  (Read 22957 times)

OlDog

• Full CVO Member
  • The Mistress 4
    • AB

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond crimson tags. Stage one with V&H slip on ovals. Rider backrest.
Re: Regret buying a 2013 CVO Ultra :-(
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »

i'll apologize right off the start, I did not read all the posts.
If the CVO was a true factory custom, shouldn't we be able to order exactly the bars, seat, windshield's etc. when we purchase or at least get a stripped down bike and have the dealer attach the "custom" parts we want at the MSRP or so price?
Just sayin'

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2013, 06:27:57 PM »

I won't go into how long I've been owning/riding Harleys and other motorcycles, or how many motorcycles I have ridden. I will state that I have 5-1k mile days under my belt (and many more >700mi.) on the '05 SEEG.

'Was just posting earlier "My take on it" and got bashed for things like the seat, suspension, and Chopped Tour Pak (the bashing on the CTP really cracked me up~imagine what would have been written if I liked the Razor Tour Pak??) As we wear our helmets when we are travelling, the "Ball & Chain" & I, have not missed the other 3"-4" on our (many) month long motorcycle adventures. (even the F-250 would not hold all the shoes that she wants to take)

As far as handlebars go; I have never even thought about changing the handlebars on any of my bikes (other than adjustment).

As far as suspension;I have owned / ridden enough bikes that I know what I prefer.

As far the seat on the '05 SEEG goes; I was just remarking that it was a high quality (firm, like I prefer) leather piece and not the "pleather" (soft) as on the '09 SERG (which I will probably modify/replace someday)

'Have just been sharing my take on things, not putting anybody down, and just commiserating with the OP about buying a SE bike and then having to spend a bunch of $$$ on it for one reason or another. I do feel that comfort on a touring bike is a primary safety concern, as if you are uncomfortable, you are distracted, and one needs focus to travel safely.

Harley and the aftermarket have made personalization of these bikes a Billion $ business. I'm all for all the plug and play choices / options out there, since when I bought my first Harley, the MoCo didn't even have a P&A catalogue and the Drag book was about 4 pages.   

As far as ergonomics; I am 6'4" (maxed the Marine PT the first time I took it) Nobody that has ever met me, has ever accused me of having small nuts... (only A$$ Clowns behind a keyboard)

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2013, 06:38:46 PM »

i'll apologize right off the start, I did not read all the posts.
If the CVO was a true factory custom, shouldn't we be able to order exactly the bars, seat, windshield's etc. when we purchase or at least get a stripped down bike and have the dealer attach the "custom" parts we want at the MSRP or so price?
Just sayin'

I agree, it would be great to have an option list like the US automakers had in the '60s, but even they don't do that anymore, nobody does, all they offer are "option packages" and the CVOs are really just "option packages".
The difference between "factory custom" and "custom".
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »

I won't go into how long I've been owning/riding Harleys and other motorcycles, or how many motorcycles I have ridden. I will state that I have 5-1k mile days under my belt (and many more >700mi.) on the '05 SEEG.

'Was just posting earlier "My take on it" and got bashed for things like the seat, suspension, and Chopped Tour Pak (the bashing on the CTP really cracked me up~imagine what would have been written if I liked the Razor Tour Pak??) As we wear our helmets when we are travelling, the "Ball & Chain" & I, have not missed the other 3"-4" on our (many) month long motorcycle adventures. (even the F-250 would not hold all the shoes that she wants to take)

As far as handlebars go; I have never even thought about changing the handlebars on any of my bikes (other than adjustment).

As far as suspension;I have owned / ridden enough bikes that I know what I prefer.

As far the seat on the '05 SEEG goes; I was just remarking that it was a high quality (firm, like I prefer) leather piece and not the "pleather" (soft) as on the '09 SERG (which I will probably modify/replace someday)

'Have just been sharing my take on things, not putting anybody down, and just commiserating with the OP about buying a SE bike and then having to spend a bunch of $$$ on it for one reason or another. I do feel that comfort on a touring bike is a primary safety concern, as if you are uncomfortable, you are distracted, and one needs focus to travel safely.

Harley and the aftermarket have made personalization of these bikes a Billion $ business. I'm all for all the plug and play choices / options out there, since when I bought my first Harley, the MoCo didn't even have a P&A catalogue and the Drag book was about 4 pages.  

As far as ergonomics; I am 6'4" (maxed the Marine PT the first time I took it) Nobody that has ever met me, has ever accused me of having small nuts... (only A$$ Clowns behind a keyboard)

That would be me you thought was bashing was you.  Trust me, you were being quite happily talked with rather than being "bashed" or ridiculed.  Disagreement isn't ridicule (unless you take it that way, but that's not on me).  Were I really trashing you in some way I'd have been a lot more direct.  

You're right, the Razor tour pak is way more half assed than the chopped pak.  Make it 1/8th assed.  It not only isn't functional it looks bad too.  The rest may or may not be distinctions without a difference since the difference is in the ass of the rider (not dependent on nut size).  Personally my take is that the stock suspension sucked; especially compared to really good suspension once it's installed.  Night and day difference.  You've got no idea how much time the front wheel is off the ground until suddenly it's not anymore.  

That 05's saddle was a nice looking piece.  But, for me, a saddle has to work well before it has to look good.  It's not a great saddle unless it does both. It can't be good if it's only cosmetically good with decent materials.  And that thing just didn't.  When they were new what the saddle's nose tried to do for the boys being what a push up bra does for the women wasn't a notion particular to me.  Having discussed this with my nuts many times they agreed completely.

Sorry you were offended by the curb racing and the chat.  Nuance can easily be lost in non-verbal communication.  Take it for truth though my friend, if I think you're a stupid jarhead sumbeach with pretensions toward being a Neanderthal's father and its mother rather than just disagreeing in a friendly bike chat you'll know it.

Otherwise, it's all good :2vrolijk_21: .

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2013, 07:45:21 PM »

I'm pleased to see that my orig post has prompted some good dialogue on this matter. More importantly, I hope that someone from the MOCO has someone that actually takes the time to read these offerings (assuming that they give a rat's ass about what the buying public thinks). 5Train raised a good point that there should be a demo of the major models in the showroom and not perpetuate the myth. But it All boils down to $$$$.

I also agree that the they should do the initial installs of seat, bars and windshield at the dealer level after you have been properly fit for your size. I know I'm being optimistic but maybe some good will come out of a bad experience.

Soot

Jerry/MD

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »

I must be an odd-ball. The seat on my 2011 FLTRUSE is the most comfortable stock seat I've experienced...and my handlebars fit me perfectly.

Sorry to hear about your issues Soot. Hopefully you will find the magic combination sooner rather than later...which would translate into less $$$ out of your pocket. As others have stated (especially grc), Harley makes a ton of money off those accessories. I guess they are banking on more uncomfortable customers like you, and less immediately satisfied ones like me. Good Luck.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:18:55 PM by Jerry/MD »

Cosmic Charlie

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »

I like all these GOOD suggestions that Moco Could / Should do !!!

And they could become reality if MoCO Could Charge MORE  $$$  for them -  otherwise fugetaboutit

That is what MoCo is in business for - BOTTOM LINE (but heck - who ain't)

and the Dealers are totally in bed with MoCo  (MoCo = Mother Cash Cow)

jus reminding ya'all    "MoCo don't want your opinions or tears - just your Green Backs"

In America the Dollar is King (and sadly nice guys (and nice Dealers) often finish last in the $ department)

Like most everything else in life - ya make the best with the hand your dealt (the bike you bought)

No One Twisted Your Arm To Buy It

btw - I have no complaints on my bike (& nobody cares to hear them if I did)

It is what it is - and that's pretty dam decent - Thank You Willy
2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange RG SE 110
D&D Boss Fat Cats with Ghost Pipe
CeeBaileysSuperStepContour14"
TTS Tuner
Ohlin's #3-3
J&M 7 1/4's & 250 amp
Utopia Drivers Back Rest

Nothing Left To Do But Smile Smile Smile

JoeSDE

• Full CVO Member
    • DE

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2013, 11:13:04 PM »

WOW! So much to say about this after 35 plus years on a Harley. My impression of most of the Harley riders I've been involved with bought bikes with the intention of modifying them. The CVO guys are some the biggest modifiers of them all. Enough said on why new bikes fit or don't fit, but if the OP's feet tingle after riding for moderate periods, I would be looking at medical issues in addition to the seat. I also have found that distance riding is no different than sustained physical activity, you need to work up gradually and build up endurance. The price of the bike has no bearing on modifications IMHO. Joined an Audi forum recently after buying an S4, and was stunned at the level of mods going on with these 50-60 thousand dollars. They are all the same type of things the bike guys are doing; suspension, ECM performance chips, exhaust systems, and tires. The perception is totally different, however. They want to mod. I made the decision to go with an FLHTK instead of a CVO because I knew I was going to make so many changes. I may not get the resale value of a CVO, but the fun of building it was what I enjoyed. The bike would be just as good stock, but it's the added pleasure of the enhancements the make it better. OK, so I drink the kool-aid, but if I wanted something else I'd buy it. OP, break it in some, demo some seats and don't feel so guilty because you spent the money. Believe me, life is way too short. Thanks for listening.         JoeS

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2013, 10:07:29 AM »

Thanks for writing in Joe. I too had an FLHTK and did a chitload of mods...really had no intention of selling it but a neighbour made an offer I couldn't turn down (guess he's got the last laugh now..lol). I strongly suspect that my issue is with the seating and as many others (smarter than me) have previously eluded to in this post- positioning is key. I don't fit the Hammock seat and I also suspect that the widened positioning of the thighs is pressing on some nerve group that is causing the numb feet. I plan to demo a couple of different seats and go from there. Love the bike otherwise!

Soot
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:09:41 AM by Soot »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 10:42:15 AM »

Maybe it is as simple as putting a Limited seat on your SEUC?

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »

On the 2009 SERG the seat was defective from the factory and was a safety issue.  Due to the poor construction and design (or lack there of) the front of the seat would detach from the tank due to the flex in the seat.  This happened numerous times to me while driving.  MoCo replace the original seat with the same defective model and it continued to happen.  MoCo's "fix" was to create two little bumpers to keep the seat from flexing so much; half assed at best.

I suspect that MoCo's counts on the buyers replacing a vast majority of the seats, windshields, etc. and does so to boost their bottom-line.  I frankly can careless about the shareholders; I think too many companies care more about what Wall Street thinks then their customers.  I care more about the quality of the product and lack of US production of their parts.  If there is an American aftermarket item, even if costs me twice as much, I will buy it instead of the crap MoCo sells.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Bigfoot16

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic SE
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2013, 09:37:19 PM »

I had a few issues when I bought mine, this is my first bagger after a few Heritage Softails.  I'm 6'4" with 36" inseam, 37" sleeves, and a size 16 boot, so I expect to make adjustments to any bike I purchase.  I was not happy with the feel of the stock bars so I changed them.  True, these bikes are a lot of money, but I always add a ton of chrome other things, which to me is half the fun of owning a Harley.  Since there is not much more chrome needed on the stock bike, I didn't think buying bars to make it more comfortable was that bad..  After the bars were put on, the bike felt much better and I could not be happier with my first bagger. Make it fit and enjoy it :)
[img] C:\Users\Steve\Pictures\dragon.png

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »

For me/us the stock seats on both the 03 Fatboy and now the 2010 SESG, were only good for an hour or 1.5 at best before things that don't need to be numb were going numb, hence the changing to Corbin.I actually did the Yaffee bars due to looks but enjoy the ride also, I upgraded suspension for comfort as like with any other company now a days they install the cheapest products in order to meet their profit margins.
What bothers me the most is, the windshields should be one item that could be adjusted per customer, I'm running a 6" now instead of the stock 4" and IMHO that should be an item that the dealers could swap out at no charge as of course we are mostly all different sizes.And then to add so many chrome goodies as stock on the CVO, I think they should have done the front motor mounts in chrome instead of the lousy pot metal ones they throw in as an after thought.
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2013, 10:09:15 AM »

I am pissed at the fact that I am having to make mods to the bike that kind of defeat the whole point of buying a CVO (the bike that was supposed to be the ultimate). I am a bit disillusioned right now and regretting my decision to go with a CUSE8. I have taken 3 mid length rides (200+ miles) and paid the same price - sore lower back and numbing in both feet.

I have read many posts that talk about the bars (I have WO575's on order), and some ppl have had problems with the Hammock seat. Personally, the Hammock seat is a joke! You sit high and back and the support is lacking. I am considering going with a stock Ultra seat or even an 08 CVO heated seat. Point being that I am having to shell out more $$$ to make this bike rideable for me. Maybe the answer is to sell and accept that the fact that this bike is not a good fit for me. Wah wah wah. Sorry for bitching like a little girl but if anyone wants to chime in with some suggestions.......i'm all ears!

Soot

I never encountered these type of issues with my 2010 FLHTK... :nixweiss:
Who said you wouldn't have to do any mods after the purchase that's just plain silly lol. We are all kinds of different shapes and sizes. It is VERY rare you hop on ANY bike and the bars, seat, etc fit you to a T. I suggest buying a base model if that bothers you. I have had to buy a seat and installed different handlebars, exhaust, tuner, etc.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »

After a very hard, up a mountain 10 mi pull, the guys I ride with, who are WFO when safety allows, my right hand was completely asleep. As we neared the top I was a little scared I would have to let off and get left. Sure, they would wait on me at the top but with snickers & catcalls (why do I ride with a bunch of A'holes.....oh, that's right they're my friends). Now back to the topic.........one thing I'm not going to do is look for a problem with the scooter.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 21 queries.