Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Regret buying a 2013 CVO Ultra :-(  (Read 22964 times)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
Re: Regret buying a 2013 CVO Ultra :-(
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »

:-\  Funny how things just have a way of sorting themselves out sometimes...

1 week ago today on Father's Day, I had my first motorcycle accident in 40 years of riding. The bike sustained superficial, cosmetic damage and I ended up with a fractured ankle. I would have to say that I was damned lucky - it could have been so much worse. I had sent my seat to Alligator Bob to have the hammock seat slimmed down and was using a reach demo seat from the dealer. The seating position felt great and then this.

I was travelling westbound on a rural highway and met up with a vehicle that was eastbound on a very tight  90 degree corner. I ended up smacking into the car's rear door and kept it upright for another 50-60' until I was able to come to a complete stop and then gently laid her over on the right side engine guard. (See attached pic).

In any event, you know when you reach that point that you and the bike just aren't a good fit....well I am at the point with this bike. I'm sure that it will be great for someone and give them many years of excellent riding....just not me. I am going to get it repaired back to showroom standard and offer it up for sale. PM me if you or someone you know is interested. I am likely going to go back to riding an FLHTK.

it's been an interesting forum - you guys have offered up some good information and I appreciate it.

Take care
Soot

Soot - first, I want to say that I was really sad to read about your accident, and I wish you a speedy recovery. Looks like you were able to minimize the damage to YOU first, and the bike second. Bikes are a lot easier to fix than are people! Glad you weren't any more seriously injured - but any injury is bad.

Reading this thread got me to thinking about why one bike, such a Limited, would "fit" you, whereas another bike, like your CUSE8, would not. They are exactly the same bike - except for the seat, the 110" engine vs the 103" engine, the wheels, and all of the CVO chrome doodads.

I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam and a 33" reach. Simply finding the right seat for you would help immensely, I think. No need to sell the CVO and take the financial hit.

When I bought the Honey Badger, I made LOTS of mods - starting with the seat. You think the Hammock is bad - try riding on the thin, useless little stock pan on the FLHXSE3! I tried a Reach - no good - put me WAY too far forward and super-cramped. Luckily I didn't have an accident as you did. I returned the Reach.

Then I tried a Hammock that I bought on here - no good at ALL for me - I sat way too high, and the BSR position was way too low in relation to the rider. The neck was too wide for me too, and my boys didn't like it. I hated the Hammock. Luckily, I was able to sell it someone on here for what I paid for it.

Then I found a beautiful Corbin DualTour on here with orange and silver flame stitching. The seller couldn't sell it, I guess because of the orange flames. The look was perfect for the Honey Badger tho... so I bought it, along with rider and passenger backrests and the matching TP backrest, for $400. I got lucky... It would have cost 3 times that if I had bought it new from Corbin. I was also able to sell the stock seat and sissy bar for the same $400 to someone ELSE on here. So in effect,  I was able to upgrade from suck-ass thin stock seat to a Corbin custom leather DualTour for $0.

The only problem with the DualTour is that it sucks for a BSR. The rear seat is narrow, and slopes forward - making the passenger slide forward into the rider backrest. Not good. SO, I bought a nice Mustang Super Touring Wide Vintage seat with the integrated rider back rest, along with a matching Mustang TP backrest. Good for me and perfect for a BSR... Nice and wide and comfy for both of us! Those two items new set me back about $850 tho... Yikes! Gotta keep Momma happy tho... even tho she rarely rides BSR with me... preferring to ride her nimble little Ninja 650 scooter herself.

I use the Corbin when riding solo without the TP on, and the Mustang when riding two-up with the TP. I prefer the Corbin for me on long rides because it is so firm - but the Mustang is fine for me, too.

As far as bars, that's an endless discussion. I hated the stock bars, so I went with the Wild One Chubbys 575 bars. They are MUCH better than the stock bars. That was before the WO 578 bars came out, tho. If I were replacing bars today, I might go with the 578 bars - even tho I would probably need to get longer clutch and brake lines. The 578s look and feel awesome, but I am OK with the 575s I have.

Anyway, think on it before you sell your CUSE8... It all starts with the right seat, as has been said in this thread... then, the bars. That may be all you need...

Sorry for the dissertation here. Good luck in whatever you choose to do, and always Ride Safe!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2013, 02:04:37 PM »

Hey brother, I feel your pain! I have been convinced for years that Harley could give you the bike for free and still make money off you by selling you all the stuff required to fix all the deficiencies. ;)

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »

Warlock - good point. I did feel rather close up.......especially whe I saw that car door swinging out in front of me!!

Ken: I was reading the stats you listed and I thought holy chit that's me to a tee- 5'9"; 30" inseam and a 33/34 reach. I may follow your suggestions once the bike has been fixed and I heal up. Thanks for the wishes.

Ridefar: what an interesting concept - get the bike free then pay for everything else. 

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »

:-\  Funny how things just have a way of sorting themselves out sometimes...

1 week ago today on Father's Day, I had my first motorcycle accident in 40 years of riding. The bike sustained superficial, cosmetic damage and I ended up with a fractured ankle. I would have to say that I was damned lucky - it could have been so much worse. I had sent my seat to Alligator Bob to have the hammock seat slimmed down and was using a reach demo seat from the dealer. The seating position felt great and then this.

I was travelling westbound on a rural highway and met up with a vehicle that was eastbound on a very tight  90 degree corner. I ended up smacking into the car's rear door and kept it upright for another 50-60' until I was able to come to a complete stop and then gently laid her over on the right side engine guard. (See attached pic).

In any event, you know when you reach that point that you and the bike just aren't a good fit....well I am at the point with this bike. I'm sure that it will be great for someone and give them many years of excellent riding....just not me. I am going to get it repaired back to showroom standard and offer it up for sale. PM me if you or someone you know is interested. I am likely going to go back to riding an FLHTK.

it's been an interesting forum - you guys have offered up some good information and I appreciate it.

Take care
Soot

Giving up your cuse8 is one thing, leaving the forum is another. I, for one, have enjoyed your presence & post. Don't leave!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »

Thanks 2KSoftail...your comments are most appreciated. I just naturally assumed that if you no longer owned a CVO that taking yourself off the Forum would be the polite thing to do. However, I am not done with this CVO saga as yet.......stay tuned - to be continued....lol.

Soot

p.s. to those of you that have commented in one way or another, I want you to know that it has been very much appreciated. I am always learning on this site. Amazing!! 

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »

Giving up your cuse8 is one thing, leaving the forum is another. I, for one, have enjoyed your presence & post. Don't leave!!

Ditto that! I've been following this thread since the beginning and can relate to some of the issues Soot has had with his new ride. It is frustrating to spend what we spend on a CVO and then budget another $4K or so to make it "right". I have some of the same complaints about my 2013 SEUC, the seat primarily, then the bars, but I am addressing each of those to find the perfect combination for me. I'm into it too far to let those relatively minor details spoil my enjoyment of this bike. That is part of the heritage with these bikes, and a lot of autos/trucks/houses/apartments, is that we can and do personalize each and every one of them to fit our riding style, our personality, our taste, and our stature. In a perfect world we would all be the same size and a manufacturer could make one product that would actually fit all of us. I think that would be a boring world personally, I like diversity and appreciate the tweaks that each individual makes to his rides, his habitat, his choice of attire, everything that makes us unique.

Don't give up on a great bike, Soot, just because it doesn't fit you out of the box. There are plenty of options that will add to your enjoyment; yes, you will have to spend a few bucks to get there but far less than you will lose if you try to unload it at this point. We would all enjoy hearing about what you've done to make this machine work for you.  Maybe you will find something and share with us so that we all can benefit. That is what I enjoy the most about this forum and I am sure a lot of the members will concur. Your choice though...

SHRK2TH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Street Glide / Black traded
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / White Starfire Black
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »

Maybe MOCO needs to come up with a custom build to order for CVO's.  I too with a 2012 CVO "SkunK", change the seat and bars.
Disappointed, not really but I see where you guys are coming from.  The above is just a thought to offer that the other competitive manufactures may not. :nixweiss:

Bigfoot16

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic SE
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2013, 11:23:23 PM »

Don't give up Soot... I'm still getting use to mine, I almost took it back the first week to get another Heritage, but I know when I finally get comfortable I will be happy I did....  They are truly awesome bikes, hang in there. 
[img] C:\Users\Steve\Pictures\dragon.png

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2013, 03:13:12 PM »

It would be nice if you could order the bike with what you wanted, but how would you know? It would be nice if they would give you a choice on bars, seats and windshields when you buy one, but not very cost effective, I guess. Myself, I have a 2012 Ultra CVO and don't have a real problem with the bars or seat. First time I didn't have to change out the seat. Like someone said, you can not make a bike to satisfy everyone. You change it to make it your own. Things like seats, bars, and windshields are personal preferences and will not fit everyone. It would be nice to see what size rider they set their bikes up for.

Alot of dealers, at least in the Chicago area have a Harley fitment display thingie.  Where you can try different seat and handlebar combo's, and check leg reach.  This includes a floor with three height levels with 1" increments.  I've never messed with it, but I have seen them at a few places.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2013, 03:32:46 PM »

I'm back!!!  Not quite riding yet but soon ( another couple of weeks).

Traded the Ultra in for a SeRK!

Soot
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:34:32 PM by Soot »

Soot

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2013, 03:40:52 PM »

Can hardly wait to be able to ride !!

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »

Good for you! That king sure looks sweet  :2vrolijk_21:

Heal up some more so you can ride.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2013, 08:22:42 PM »

Soot, I made the same move in May.  Don't regret it one bit.  The King is so nimble and light it is just so fun to ride.
Didn't even change the exhaust system as for my many other bikes I've had.  Good luck on the new ride and hope you
enjoy it as much as I have.

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »

Enjoy ! !

brwk

• Full CVO Member
  • Annv #782

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »

Congrats!!!!!  Beautiful bike. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.