Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Anyone get a Garmin ZUMO yet?  (Read 16071 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Anyone get a Garmin ZUMO yet?
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2006, 03:28:20 PM »

Yeah! Sometimes you go 1 or 2 tanks worth in a day. Sometimes it's 5 or 6 tanks. What happens in between those tanks determines how many you're gonna need! Usually when I head out West, it's 2 days to the Badlands (1800 mi from NYC) and then who knows after that? But sometimes I'll take 4 or 5 days to get to the Smokeys (only 600 mi). On one trip to the Smokeys I never got there! Wound up in Kansas City. Hoist!
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2006, 12:52:41 AM »

sit back, feet on teh pegs, enjoy the scenery and feel the bike rumble on.  

This is my favorite part too.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2006, 12:54:48 AM »

On one trip to the Smokeys I never got there! Wound up in Kansas City. Hoist!

Those are the trips I know I've liked best.  Have especially enjoyed the times when either never got where the first plan had been or never had a first plan to begin with.  Sometimes destinations just get in the way of a pleasant state of mind!

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2006, 12:41:20 PM »

Has anyone with one of these in their hot little hands had a chance to play with the XM features yet.  I have already read a post on another site, that the manual is very sketchy when it came to the XM functions.  You also have to buy the damn $300.00 XM antenna to make it work.  I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone with this unit. GPS and XM.
Thanks
Scrrem

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2006, 12:54:32 PM »

I have the XM for my 2730...unfortunately, I have only used it in the car...never did figure out an easily removeable mounting solution for the bike since I need to be able to move it.  Also wish it had a bigger buffer...cuts out under overpasses too often since it is on the dash and not outside.

/Bill

Has anyone with one of these in their hot little hands had a chance to play with the XM features yet.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2006, 03:35:06 PM »

Anyone that received their unit got pics of the unit mounted yet? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Also, does anyone know if this unit can be mounted to the fairing, like the Quest?   :-/

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2006, 10:44:52 PM »

As of tonight, GPSCRAZY.COM has it for $739 again.  I can't yet recommend them, as mine was supposedly shipped on 11/20, and I just got a tracking number today.  And they suck at returning emails and answering the phone.  So far no complaints from anyone online saying they are fraudulent...just poor service.  Good luck guys.
http://stores.gpscrazy.com/-strse-110/Garmin-Zumo-550/Detail.bok
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 10:47:11 PM by Doc »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2006, 12:32:22 AM »

www.offroute.com

This place currently selling them for $729.95.  I am very tempted to pull the trigger.  But so far it still sounds like some of the mapping and routing functions aren't any better than were the 28XX and those controls were already dumbed down a bit from the 26XX I'm used to and like.  The overall screen area is apparently also broken up such that the mapping area of the screen is smaller than one might expect from a first glance.  The ability to mate via Bluetooth to a helmet and a phone and link them all together is nice.  As is the potential for the (relatively expensive at $30.00 a month) weather radar onboard.  Just not sure the entire package, with its pros and its cons, is a worthwhile upgrade for the cost though.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2006, 05:57:56 AM »

Don,

Remember that NEXRAD images may not be possible on the ZUMO...it is a simpler weather function they are describing.  the 376 and 476 I believe have the capability.

www.offroute.com

This place currently selling them for $729.95.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2006, 10:05:40 AM »

www.offroute.com

This place currently selling them for $729.95.  I am very tempted to pull the trigger.  But so far it still sounds like some of the mapping and routing functions aren't any better than were the 28XX and those controls were already dumbed down a bit from the 26XX I'm used to and like.  The overall screen area is apparently also broken up such that the mapping area of the screen is smaller than one might expect from a first glance.  The ability to mate via Bluetooth to a helmet and a phone and link them all together is nice.  As is the potential for the (relatively expensive at $30.00 a month) weather radar onboard.  Just not sure the entire package, with its pros and its cons, is a worthwhile upgrade for the cost though.
Don,
If you didn't have either now which would you choose? Any others that are more up on this stuff can add in also. I'm still trying to figure which is going to be the best bang for my buck. I'm mainly interested in the GPS features (do like the Bluetooth stuff, but mostly wear a half helmet so not really sure if that would be applicable) any of the other feature(s) would be a plus.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2006, 10:48:58 AM »

Don,
If you didn't have either now which would you choose? Any others that are more up on this stuff can add in also. I'm still trying to figure which is going to be the best bang for my buck. I'm mainly interested in the GPS features (do like the Bluetooth stuff, but mostly wear a half helmet so not really sure if that would be applicable) [highlight]any of the other feature(s) would be a plus[/highlight].

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
"I don't know what that is.......but, I want it!"   ;D  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2006, 11:49:55 AM »

Don,
If you didn't have either now which would you choose? Any others that are more up on this stuff can add in also. I'm still trying to figure which is going to be the best bang for my buck. I'm mainly interested in the GPS features (do like the Bluetooth stuff, but mostly wear a half helmet so not really sure if that would be applicable) any of the other feature(s) would be a plus.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

d00d...I've got the 2820 which looks the same as the 26xx or 27xx series.  It has all the functions of the Zumo, but of course is shaped differently.  One advantage I see to the 28xx is the screen is wider...personally, I like the wider map, and the data blocks on the right side of the wider display.  The Zumo screen is more "square", which might also have an advantage by showing more of what's ahead instead of what's beside.  The other advantage to the Zumo is the battery backup (even if short lived), so the unit would stay on and operating when the power supply is switched off on the ignition.  On the 26,27, 28xx units, when you switch off the unit goes down, and when you switch back on, it has to boot up again...takes about 30 seconds to a minute, depending on how easy the satellites are found.  One thing I like about both units is the MP3 player...that comes in handy when you want her to talk to you, but listen to music when she's not telling you to turn.  The Bluetooth...even though I do not talk on the phone while riding, I do pair my phone up to the unit....in that way, the unit will still tell me that I have a call, and I can view the call and see if it's important enough to stop and return...rarely the case, as usually it can wait until the next gas stop, if then.  It might let you know if there's some kind of emergency though, and you need to stop...case in point would be a group ride and someone gets lost or goes down...somebody could call you and you'd know what was happening, so you could stop or turn around and help.

The shape of the two units might be something to consider...how it will mount, and how much it will intrude/block the view of the dash...as mine was (before chaning the bars...havn't remounted it yet) it just covered the view of the Air Temp Guage, which we all know is a worthless POS anyway...if I had the Zumo in the same location, it might have obstucted the fuel guage a bit.  Those things can all be accomodated, depending on what mounting system you use.

Now....are you even more confused?  Buying one of these things is like getting a computer...they will always be coming out with something better in 6 months, so waiting gets you nowhere.  I'm happy with my 2820...if I was looking, it would be a toss-up between it and the Zumo.  The thing that would make a difference to me is how they each would mount to the bike's bars.  I would not even consider ever putting a hole in the dash for a mount.  JMO....
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2006, 11:54:11 AM »

Don't need no stinkin' GPS - getting lost is what men are supposed to do, so our women can have more to razz us about.  What's next, a device to eliminate farts, belches, and scratching?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2006, 12:07:42 PM »

[highlight]Don't need no stinkin' GPS - getting lost is what men are supposed to do, so our women can have more to razz us about.
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2006, 12:09:09 PM »

Terry,
Thanks that's the type info I'm looking to hear about. One of the features I like about the Zumo is it comes w/the mounts, specifically the clutch/bracket mount. Waiting to see one mounted like that so I can see how well it will be able to see the gauges. If I remember correctly the mounts for the series that you have required the additional purchase of mounts.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 25 queries.