Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: I'm about done with the POS Harley Drive Train  (Read 15991 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: I'm about done with the POS Harley Drive Train
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »

:nixweiss:
Willie............have ya looked at this post regarding the Beemers......

Re: CHP going back to Harley Davidson

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spoke with the owner, who said California was not satisfied using BMW anymore.  THE COST TO MAINTAIN THE BMWs WAS PROHIBITIVE.  Apparently, the Beemers were having transmission issues, along with other problems, and they were too expensive to maintain.  CA tested several bikes for reliability, including Kawasaki.  They found the HD with the 103 to be the most reliable and cheapest to maintain.

Dig a little deeper and you will find that that post was just repeating some propaganda put out by that Harley dealer.  Harley got the contract because they were the only company to bid on the contract, period.  And even then CHP had to give them a waiver because they didn't meet all of the requirements.

Dig even deeper and you will find that the last time CHP had Harley's they went with a different company because they couldn't keep the Harley's on the road due to failures and repairs.  When you can't keep enough vehicles available to fill all the patrol slots because too many are sitting in the shop, it isn't exactly a great endorsement for that brand.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 05:13:36 PM »

Dig a little deeper and you will find that that post was just repeating some propaganda put out by that Harley dealer.  Harley got the contract because they were the only company to bid on the contract, period.  And even then CHP had to give them a waiver because they didn't meet all of the requirements.

Dig even deeper and you will find that the last time CHP had Harley's they went with a different company because they couldn't keep the Harley's on the road due to failures and repairs.  When you can't keep enough vehicles available to fill all the patrol slots because too many are sitting in the shop, it isn't exactly a great endorsement for that brand.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thats why the LAPD kept a bunch of Kawasaki 1000s on hand. I had a motor cop friend describe the city yard as the 70s all over again. The racks were littered with HDs for the same things we experience. Blown starters, mufflers and heat shields falling off, over heating, broken fairing brackets,...and everything else.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 07:53:54 PM »

Talking to a couple of CHP's at a motor competition, one had 135K and the other had 180K on their boxers. They said BMW was set to get the contract but wouldn't match the HD warranty so HD got the contract. Also said  it's going to put an end to sustained high speed chases as the HD's can't match the top speed or maneuver as well as the RT's, nor will the motor hold up at top speed for repetitive extended periods of time. Having both, I tended to agree

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »

Willy, I live near Lake St. Louis just off Bryan road.  I have an '09 SERG with just the CAT removed, Fullsac 2" baffles and Steve's TTS Mastertune canned map.

My bike has just over 11k miles and I've not noticed anything like you have mentioned.  I still have the stock compensator in the '09.

If the weather is good for a couple hours this weekend, maybe we can hook up and you can ride my SERG to see how it compares in noise and feeling to yours.  This may give you a fresh baseline to go back to the dearlership and ask for some help.

Let me know.  You can PM me if you like.

Good luck with your bike.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 09:11:13 PM »

Willy, I live near Lake St. Louis just off Bryan road.  I have an '09 SERG with just the CAT removed, Fullsac 2" baffles and Steve's TTS Mastertune canned map.

My bike has just over 11k miles and I've not noticed anything like you have mentioned.  I still have the stock compensator in the '09.

If the weather is good for a couple hours this weekend, maybe we can hook up and you can ride my SERG to see how it compares in noise and feeling to yours.  This may give you a fresh baseline to go back to the dearlership and ask for some help.

Let me know.  You can PM me if you like.

Good luck with your bike.
Dan,

After reading GRC's comment above about throttle sensitivity I beginning to wonder if that could be a big part of what is creating the issue. I've never liked the Throttle By Wire setup because of the stickiness of the throttle control. To me, it's just not as seamlessly smooth as the cable throttles I've grown up on.

I'm running a PCV and there is definitely throttle control. It's pretty snappy. I think I'll talk to by tuner and see if that might be it.

I think there's really nothing more that can be done with the poor compensator design UNLESS the local HD guy is fit about a fix coming out from HD on Aug 29th.

Either way, stay in touch and maybe we can get the local STL CVO guys out for a ride sometime. I'm not sure where on here I could post something about a STL CVO ride. :nixweiss:
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 09:59:04 PM »

I think you might have just hit it. TBW should be really smooth. If you have a binding feel, you need to have it replaced. 08 road king taught me that!!
Secondly, I believe with TTS the sensitivity can be adjusted on your laptop.
RETIRED! :fireman:

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 07:23:27 AM »

The throttle is smooth but like all plastic on plastic gears they tend to have a little bit of a creak. Can these things be lubricated?

I'm afraid changing the darn thing might be a big pain.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 08:10:37 AM »

No way to lube. If any binding it needs to be replaced. Should be silky smooth if operating properly.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 08:18:47 AM »

That's not good news.

Do you have to pull the wiring out of the bars?

joe_lyons50023

• Full CVO Member
Re: Re: I'm about done with the POS Harley Drive Train
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 08:32:40 AM »

Pull outer fairing, locate 6 pin black plug, remove 6 wires after recording their positions, attach nylon string to the end of the pins, remove TGS after removing right grip, spray wd40 or some other lube into handlebar, use electrical tape to keep new TGS pins together and slipknot the nylon string around the taped pins and pull it through the handle bars.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2013, 09:31:41 AM »

Windex is a great lube for pulling the wires. Got this tip from the H-D service manual. Worked great when we did handlebar swaps on a couple bikes

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Re: I'm about done with the POS Harley Drive Train
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2013, 11:10:56 AM »

Pull outer fairing, locate 6 pin black plug, remove 6 wires after recording their positions, attach nylon string to the end of the pins, remove TGS after removing right grip, spray wd40 or some other lube into handlebar, use electrical tape to keep new TGS pins together and slipknot the nylon string around the taped pins and pull it through the handle bars.
That's great but the wires are shrink tubed as a part of that wire bundle. Part of the installations from Yafee when I installed their 12" bars said to do that.

The wires are a real pain in the ass to pull.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »

Harley Delphi Throttle Position Sensor Patent

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »

The throttle is smooth but like all plastic on plastic gears they tend to have a little bit of a creak. Can these things be lubricated?

I'm afraid changing the darn thing might be a big pain.
Yes, that little bit of bind will screw it up. Mine squeaked and was just bad enough to screw up shifts. Maggie did that twice...now she is gone!
RETIRED! :fireman:

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 06:25:49 PM »

Buy a Bike with EVO and a Carb. Simple. You will be Happy! Happy! Happy!
Ltank
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.