Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: Andy's School of scatter graphs  (Read 25858 times)

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Andy's School of scatter graphs
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2013, 12:22:36 PM »

So you don't verify things?  Really?

Andy

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2013, 03:09:06 PM »

So you don't verify things?  Really?

Andy
Anytime I feel it necessary I certainly attempt to verify whatever it is.
When a mfg tells me something about his product I DO take it a face value until I have reason to doubt the info.

Bob

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »

Here is on of the skis I am tuning right now doing a little acceleration enrichment testing.  My personal ski is almost that strong till about 50 where the race ski wis big blower gets the best of me.  That boat is entirely tuned with scatter plots and without a dyno.

Have fun tuning

Andy
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:03:42 AM by whittlebeast »

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2013, 12:16:30 PM »

Andy,
Not sure what point you were trying to make by posting a jet ski single acceleration straight line acceleration?
Are you insinuating a Dyno and tuning software cannot be used to tune AE as well as scatter plots?

Suppose if I were serious about tuning these water pumps this is what I would opt for:
http://www.land-and-sea.com/pwc-dyno/pwc-dyno.htm

But that's just me. I believe in controlled, measured testing.
Bob

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2013, 12:29:43 PM »

Those dynos have no way to simulate blowing out the prop (essentially boiling the water leading into the pump) and pump stuffing that happens at high speed.  These guys also fight racing is someone elses prop wash. 

Both he and his wife are nationally competitive racer so they test alternating being in the lead.  None of this is possible to simulate on a dyno.

Andy

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2013, 12:17:46 PM »

Have you spoke to anyone who owns one of these Land-n-sea jet ski dynos?

I have and there are able to simulate virtually any condition, including cavitation (free wind).

Andy, I realize you do not own a Dyno but understand dynos are far more accurate and useful for dialing in EFI than anything else due to the ability to tightly rein in any and all anomalies.

That said this may not be the ultimate testing for carbed skis due to the g forces applied to the float bowl
This is not a concern with EFI.

JMHO,
Bob

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »

I have found more issues with fuel starvation in the EFI world than I ever say with the run any position stuff we ran 10 years ago on the skis.  When you starve the fuel pickup on an EFI system, the fuel pressure instantly plummets and all hell breaks loose. I see it all the time on the high HP stuff.

Andy

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2013, 04:09:01 PM »

I have found more issues with fuel starvation in the EFI world than I ever say with the run any position stuff we ran 10 years ago on the skis.  When you starve the fuel pickup on an EFI system, the fuel pressure instantly plummets and all hell breaks loose. I see it all the time on the high HP stuff.

Andy

Would that be a FLHSKI ?
 8)
HOGMIKE

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »

Andy
So what you are saying is you have a fuel tank pickup up issue NOT an EFI tuning issue.

Come on Andy this thread was for scatter plots and how too read them and what all those dots mean.
There was a couple members state they Re interested in learning all a out scatter plots so this thread was started for you to school us on these plots.

So far we have seen some a couple scatter plots, some multi-line graphs, and heard all about your jet ski issues.

Stay on point please!
Bob

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »

I do find those issues with scatter plots...  When the PW and DC fall right in line as expected but I get a random but repeatable lean spot, I start looking for mechanical issues that can generate the symptom.

I am waiting for 2014 Harley data for this thread.

Andy

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2013, 01:29:16 PM »

I do find those issues with scatter plots...  When the PW and DC fall right in line as expected but I get a random but repeatable lean spot, I start looking for mechanical issues that can generate the symptom.

I am waiting for 2014 Harley data for this thread.

Andy
Sounds like you need to work in fuel pickup before worrying about the tuneup?
Bob

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »

We tend to see that on the racecars.  It is really bad on the wife's Sporty.

Andy

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2013, 03:06:19 PM »

...It is really bad on the wife's Sporty.

Andy
If that's the case you just want to take a peek inside the tank. Get back to basics...there is no trick here.
As the bike accelerates it sloshes fuel back right into the petcock so there should NEVER be a starvation issue...unless there is something wrong inside the tank.
Sometimes we let ourselves get caught up in the minutia of technical do dads when if we just think about it for a minute the resolve come clear.
Bob

whittlebeast

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »

In that case, it is the wife's bike.  Or simply fill the tank as soon as the light comes on....  In the race motors, the solution can get a little more involved.  In my kids car there is a 2 quart tank in the engine compartment that is always full to the brim.  We have a circulation dump in the tank and a pressure pump up front.

Starvation solved.

Andy

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2013, 06:00:10 PM »

In that case, it is the wife's bike.  Or simply fill the tank as soon as the light comes on....  In the race motors, the solution can get a little more involved.  In my kids car there is a 2 quart tank in the engine compartment that is always full to the brim.  We have a circulation dump in the tank and a pressure pump up front.

Starvation solved.

Andy
So the sporty's fine until it get very low on fuel.
Acceleration should not be a problem until empty.
The wife's bike a race bike?
Remember this a thread about learning scatter graphs as applied tuning Harley's....please
Bob
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 21 queries.