Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Just Curious with no Agenda; it will happen to Us All..  (Read 12482 times)

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
Re: Just Curious with no Agenda; it will happen to Us All..
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 06:37:54 AM »

Might need both hands to drive by then.   So will have to get one of those hats with the straws that come down.  :drink:

Hmm, I've never had any desire to hang LEDs all over a street bike.  But I'd ILLUMINATE one of these bitches for the mall !

As others have said here, we don't do the big group riding thing anymore either. I have some good friends around here who I ride with occasionally, and one or two I ride with more often - but I've never been into the H.O.G. thing at all... too much politics and too many rules. I don't like much structure on rides because I go on rides to relax and enjoy - not to be part of a big group with a set course and agenda.

I am also uncomfortable riding with strangers, because I don't know how good they are at riding, nor how they would or could handle any sudden road situation. And that's a little scary when you're in a big group.

A friend of mine, with a LOT more miles than I will ever have, likes to say: New riders choose a destination, but old riders just choose a DIRECTION...

Anyway, I want to be like THIS guy someday...

After winning a car makeover to mark the release of Pimp My Ride Street Racing, 72-year-old Harold Churchill opted to have his mobility scooter upgraded instead after quitting driving years earlier. His £400 scooter was kitted out with a customised body kit, surround sound music system, LED lights, alloy rims, a carbon fibre racing seat and a Nintendo DS in the dashboard.

And it has FLAMES, too!  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 06:54:14 AM »

Been on two wheels since 1965, can't imagine not having a bike.  At 64 I still feel the "need for speed" but I admit my visits to 6000 rpm's are pretty scarce these days.  Crowds? Not my favorite either.  But there is still something about heading out with four or five guys I have been riding with for years, going down the road tandem, switching positions effortlessly as if each guy knows what the other is thinking, coming to stops talking about the ride, destination, or almost anything, is STILL (for me) something I do not want to give up.  Even when I am riding alone, the feeling of the road, the turns, the weather and the smell of the air are all part of the riding experience.  It is why we say, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."  There are those who, for one reason or another, will walk away, but you asked the question Stan; my "plans" are to stay on the steel horse for as long as I can.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 07:11:47 AM »

Been on two wheels since 1965, can't imagine not having a bike.  At 64 I still feel the "need for speed" but I admit my visits to 6000 rpm's are pretty scarce these days.  Crowds? Not my favorite either.  But there is still something about heading out with four or five guys I have been riding with for years, going down the road tandem, switching positions effortlessly as if each guy knows what the other is thinking, coming to stops talking about the ride, destination, or almost anything, is STILL (for me) something I do not want to give up.  Even when I am riding alone, the feeling of the road, the turns, the weather and the smell of the air are all part of the riding experience.  It is why we say, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." There are those who, for one reason or another, will walk away, but you asked the question Stan; my "plans" are to stay on the steel horse for as long as I can.

OWL

Very well said, Sir!

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 07:21:22 AM »

Thanks Ken, I respect your many contributions to this forum.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 07:43:35 AM »

That was well said X2
DND

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 10:43:42 AM »

I'm 62 and been riding since I was 14 and still love getting on the bike and go for a ride, no matter how long or how short.  Like anything else that could pose a danger you always have to proceed with caution.  My Father told me,( he use to race his homemade bikes in Italy,) "when you feel too confident, that's when something happens". I've had some close calls, but nothing earth shattering.  There's nothing better than going through the beautiful countryside on 2 wheels, you enjoy the scenery and the ride a whole lot differently, doing it in a cage is certainly not the same. If I give up 2 wheels you better believe there's a trike in the future!  Ride Safe!!!!!

Ray Z
RayZ

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 11:09:01 AM »

Ken to bad you couldn't have kept the trike you bought for your wife as by the time you decided to ride it would be all pimped out and powerful.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »

As expected some very good thoughts on this CVO mortality subject! I really appreciate everyone's  thoughts and dreams. As a FYI, I have zero intentions to hanging it up..as I said on my original post "I love my bike, and more importantly my BSR also shockingly loves it.  And yes as most humans today we stumble with what live gives us, but while on my CVO it just if even temporarily melts away for both of us.  Safety is always on my mind while riding and the rest is out of my control.  Thanks again!
Stan

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 01:04:10 PM »

I believe as long as your able to ride your bike safely go for it .GOD will take you when he needs you no matter where your at .

X2  I also believe that when and where you choose to ride can be a big factor in determining the chances of being in an accident.  Things like city vs country riding, four lane roads vs two lanes,  daytime vs night, etc.  all contribute to the "odds" of what might happen.  Situational awareness is probably the greatest factor in avoidance of an accident but even that doesn't allow for the unexpected and quite often the unavoidable obstacles we as riders often encounter.  So in a nutshell, experience, planning, riding attire (helmets, leather, etc.) proper maintenance on our bikes and keen senses about us ( not drinking and riding ) as well as familiarity with the route we choose to take will hedge the odds in our favor. None the less, I also believe that if it's your turn to leave this earth, it won't matter if you're in a tank.  You will go when it's your time.
Jesus is Lord

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 01:15:26 PM »

I'm with RayZ's father on this.

All riders need confidence, but over confidence leads to risk taking, pushing the envelope (also known as your luck), and poor decisions. In my later years I have become a very cautious, methodical, and deliberate rider. Yes, I still "get on it" once in a while, but I give myself lots of room, escape and bail routes, and I practice. I do all that I can, and then turn the rest over to Him.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

chiefs584ever

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »

I for one am a long way from giving it up, but do feel that my reaction times are slowing as I get older. I still enjoy to twist the throttle occasionally and to let the ole 110 throw some heavy sound out the pipes as the yellow stripes whiz by. The things that I see on the bike cannot be duplicated in a cage.  I would have to admit that the biggest threat to my feeling comfortable on the road any more are these damned cell phones.  I feel as bikers, we should have the right to kick big dents in the doors of all these kids who would rather text then drive.  That way when we see a door with a big dent in it, we know to stay away from that car cause they are about 1000 percent more likely to run over us because that text is soooo much more important than anything else on the road.  Sorry for the rant, but I am far from giving up, but I am constantly worried about texting drivers as I have been in too many near misses from them.
2004 CVO Electra Glide (pumpkin)
2013 CVO Ultra Classic (tribal orange)
2005 Ultra Classic

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 02:03:39 PM »

Ken to bad you couldn't have kept the trike you bought for your wife as by the time you decided to ride it would be all pimped out and powerful.

Oh, it's still in the area, and I retained visitation rights!

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »

Oh yea, it could also have a cool Orange type paint job by then :2vrolijk_21:

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 02:20:13 PM »

Oh yea, it could also have a cool Orange type paint job by then :2vrolijk_21:

With the new owner... NOT A CHANCE!

Now, CVO Tequila Sunrise, maybe...

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »

It's only a matter of time before the motor company releases a  Kandy Cobalt Blue  CVO trike, unfortunately it will probably cost 50 grand...or more.

I guess I better keep saving my pennies for that day when I make the switch to three wheels.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 24 queries.