Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: WATER HEADS!!!  (Read 18058 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
WATER HEADS!!!
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »

Just a heads up if you are going to buy a new WATER HEAD!! They are having overheating issues on a lot of them and HARLEY doesn't know what the problem is. They don't know why but think it is an electrical component (or components) or the ECM are causing the issue. They first jumped right out there and said it had to be the race tuner. Problem is a bike in question had the problem before the race tuner was installed. Soooo I would say buy at your own risk till this problem is sorted out.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

FLHTCUSE7

Re: WATER HEADS!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »

I always buy at my own risk?????

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »

Have ridden one since 1973, but with HD the risk is not if.......but when.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »

I have a question about the heads.

What's the difference between the water head and the stock air head?  I understand that there is a water loop going around the hot spots in the heads and that's about it.

So if you didn't have any coolant in the water head bike and rode it, what would be the difference than a non water head motor?  It isn't like the barrels are double wall like on the V-Rods with coolant through water jackets in both the heads and barrels.

If you're up to speed on the freeway and the water head is overheating, it's only relative to the water tube loops in the heads?

Just wondering about it...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »

ABSOLUTELY DON'T BUY A NEW '14 WATER HEAD!  By my 2011 FLHTK instead, to help pay for my water head. :)

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 05:50:33 PM »

I have a question about the heads.

What's the difference between the water head and the stock air head?  I understand that there is a water loop going around the hot spots in the heads and that's about it.

So if you didn't have any coolant in the water head bike and rode it, what would be the difference than a non water head motor?  It isn't like the barrels are double wall like on the V-Rods with coolant through water jackets in both the heads and barrels.

If you're up to speed on the freeway and the water head is overheating, it's only relative to the water tube loops in the heads?

Just wondering about it...

The air cooled engines have cooling fins. I do not believe the 14's do
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »

Is anyone really surprised by these events?  Especially when the moco just slaps together some BS design for water cooling instead of applying some real engineering and modern technology to the approach?  Where is the team that championed the v-rod engine? 
Jesus is Lord

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:26:10 PM »

They had to start this way because most of the customers are backwards and stuck in the past. The average HD customers is "old" and don't want liquid cooling. Doing it this way they ease in to it and get the emissions down for mainly CA. I am sure we will see a full liquid cooled version in the future.

Also, its an American made, with steelworkers Union labor product, so I do expect quality issues. If I wanted perfect I would buy Japanese  :drink:

Tru-Blu

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 Road King in Sapphire Blue (Saphira)
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »

Maybe it's urban myth, but didn't Porsche help the Moco with the design of the VRod engine?

chiefs584ever

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »

Maybe it's urban myth, but didn't Porsche help the Moco with the design of the VRod engine?

Not a myth at all.  V rod motor was indeed a joint venture with Porshe on the design of the motor and cooling system.
2004 CVO Electra Glide (pumpkin)
2013 CVO Ultra Classic (tribal orange)
2005 Ultra Classic

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »

Harley's relationship with Porsche Design(separate entity, not car company) goes back many decades. Who do you think figured out how to make the air cooled motor not leak oil all over the yuppie's concrete garage floor? Porsche Design engineered the Revolution motor, they didn't "help" HD with it. HD engineers couldn't find their ass with both hands, as always, you get what you pay for. MoCo would rather spend the money on lawyers and tell customers that "they all do that".

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 07:17:45 PM »

The engines appear the same on the outside. the liquid cooling feature is almost unnoticeable if you don't know what to look for -- like the water pump and hoses where the oil cooler is located on the other models. And yes the heads have cooling fins and can be ridden a "short" distance, like to the nearest dealer, in the event of a coolant leak - per the article I read  in this months RIDER magazine--

As far as the OP's statement about the unknown nature of the leaking, I think the issue has been traced to a faulty "plastic welding" job on one of the pump fittings or hose fittings creating porosity resulting in the leaks on some of the bikes. I think that there are updated parts being installed on those bikes experiencing the problem - provided they are available, I remember reading somewhere that there may be an issue with that.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 07:27:09 PM »

They do...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »

So the "hot" new upgrade for the 2014's will be a retro fit to the regular air cooled heads and the removal of the H20 system.  I can just see that coming. If I owned one, I would be looking for a set of 110 heads on e-bay and calling my builder.

But, aren't they all supposed do that? Leak I mean?
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »

The engines appear the same on the outside. the liquid cooling feature is almost unnoticeable if you don't know what to look for -- like the water pump and hoses where the oil cooler is located on the other models. And yes the heads have cooling fins and can be ridden a "short" distance, like to the nearest dealer, in the event of a coolant leak - per the article I read  in this months RIDER magazine--

As far as the OP's statement about the unknown nature of the leaking, I think the issue has been traced to a faulty "plastic welding" job on one of the pump fittings or hose fittings creating porosity resulting in the leaks on some of the bikes. I think that there are updated parts being installed on those bikes experiencing the problem - provided they are available, I remember reading somewhere that there may be an issue with that.

If you read some of the responses on HD Forums, and others, the fixes are all over the place for the ones puking coolant. Don't know about leaks. But everything from new caps on the coolant recovery tanks to reflashing the ECM. Every dealer it seems trys a different approach. If Harley really know how to fix the problem, they aren't telling the folks in the field about it. Several have filled lemon law suits, and complaints with NTSB.
Most have said they love the 2014 bikes, but cant live with the coolant problems.  Cant believe with all the testing that was done on Project Rushmore, that some of these problems didn't surface during testing and a fix was developed. Then again maybe they did and this was the fix.......nah HD wouldn't do that.........would they?
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 20 queries.