Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Question for those that change their own oil  (Read 3874 times)

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
Question for those that change their own oil
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:24:49 AM »

I had 9,000 on the bike, so I took it to the dealer to do the 10,000 service. Cleaning up the bike I noticed that my oil filter looked shorter then normal (meaning the oil filter top used to be up next to the oil cooler hoses, but now it's an inch short). Am I missing a spacer or something for the oil filter? Does your oil filter come up next to the oil cooler hoses?

Thanks for taking a look and letting me know if I'm crazy or not.
Fullsac stage 1

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Question for those that change their own oil
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:37:21 AM »

If you're thinking they put the wrong filter on the bike, measure the actual length and compare to a new one out of the box, or one on a new bike sitting on the showroom floor.  I wouldn't use the space between the rubber hoses and the filter to gauge anything; they may have repositioned the hoses when they did the oil change.  There is no spacer as such between the filter and the adaptor plate it mounts to.  If they had actually removed the adaptor plate you wouldn't have anything to attach those cooler hoses to, so that's unlikely.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:09:48 AM »

The adapter is there, but I was wondering why the oil filter seemed smaller by an inch. Just wondering if anyone has a CVO Street Glide take a look to see if their oil filter top ends where their hoses are. Mine now is a 1 inch shorter, then before. Possible when the dealer's changed it the other three times  (3 different dealers 3 different times) put on a taller oil filter by mistake. I don't know.
Fullsac stage 1

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »

Guess I should have said it is 1 inch short compared to the regulator. The hoses were not changed, so they are the same and in the same place.
Fullsac stage 1

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 12:03:33 PM »

Guess I should have said it is 1 inch short compared to the regulator. The hoses were not changed, so they are the same and in the same place.

The TC and Evo filters are the same size externally.  So that's not what got swapped on you.  If it actually is a physically smaller filter only thing I can think is they started using the Wix filters.  Wix makes a chrome filter for Harleys but it is physically smaller.

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 12:05:42 PM »

That must be it, thanks.
Fullsac stage 1

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 12:09:14 PM »

I had 9,000 on the bike, so I took it to the dealer to do the 10,000 service. Cleaning up the bike I noticed that my oil filter looked shorter then normal (meaning the oil filter top used to be up next to the oil cooler hoses, but now it's an inch short). Am I missing a spacer or something for the oil filter? Does your oil filter come up next to the oil cooler hoses?

[/quote
an OEM filter is approx. 3 1/2 inches long if your is an inch shorter then that there is something wrong
]

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 01:54:01 PM »

It has been my practice to use the largest filter available that conforms to thread size and seal diameter of the original.  There are filters out there that may be listed in automotive applications that are longer but will fit your bike.  Although I am currently using a K & N filter that is listed for my bike, I have used larger (or longer) filters on other bikes I have had. As long as it fits and doesn't interfere with anything like the crankshaft sensor and it has the correct threads and seal diameter, it is OK to use.
Jesus is Lord

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 12:07:25 PM »

[/quote
an OEM filter is approx. 3 1/2 inches long if your is an inch shorter then that there is something wrong
]

Yup, oil filter is 3 1/2 inches long so something is missing
Fullsac stage 1

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
CVO Street Glide question
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »

Okay, I'm going to try this again. This is a question for CVO Street Glides only, so don't move thread. Just got back from oil change and notice the oil filter seemed smaller, but it's 3 1/2 inches long, but mine used to come out the length of the regulator to where the hoses are for the oil cooler, but now it's about an inch shorter. Do you guys have a spacer or something that the oil filter is threaded into before the adaptor, and does your oil filter cover the length of the regulator. So can you guys with Street Glides take a look and let me know.
Fullsac stage 1

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
Re: CVO Street Glide question
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 12:25:15 PM »

1 photo

smiley1049

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »

vinnieee

• Orange Jewel
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 12:46:06 PM »

Thanks Chuck!
Fullsac stage 1

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »

Okay, I'm going to try this again. This is a question for CVO Street Glides only, so don't move thread.

can you guys with Street Glides take a look and let me know.

Or can go to one of the online parts manual sites and just look it up.  No Street Glide necessary.  No spacer nor other part that extends the filter out from the housing.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »

Okay, I'm going to try this again. This is a question for CVO Street Glides only, so don't move thread. Just got back from oil change and notice the oil filter seemed smaller, but it's 3 1/2 inches long, but mine used to come out the length of the regulator to where the hoses are for the oil cooler, but now it's about an inch shorter. Do you guys have a spacer or something that the oil filter is threaded into before the adaptor, and does your oil filter cover the length of the regulator. So can you guys with Street Glides take a look and let me know.

What makes you think Harley has a different setup for a Street Glide than it does for any other Touring model?  The engine is the same, as is the frame.  As for the oil cooler adaptor and filter, those are also the same for any and all cooler equipped Touring models (TC103, CVO110).

Anyhow, there is absolutely no other part between the adaptor plate and the filter, so this is not a case of someone leaving out a part.  If your current filter is 3.5 inches long, and that is the length of the normal Harley filter, then if the previous filter stuck out an inch further it must have been 4.5 inches long.  That would mean it wasn't the OEM filter.  You might want to question whoever it was who has been doing your oil changes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.