Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: Starting bike in Neutral  (Read 13140 times)

SpeedisLife

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE - Autumn Haze/Vivid Black
Re: Starting bike in Neutral
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »

I always start in neutral (less stress on bike).  And, I always have the clutch pulled in (old habit).  SJ Ron :)

x2
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2013, 09:59:22 AM »

Yes they do move forward a bit, but once the stand locks they stay generally stay put. On bikes without the locking feature they continue forward until the stand folds and the bike falls on its side if not in gear.

Mine moves enough that I got tired of my wife's reaction whenever I got off the bike and she was watching. Gets left in gear all the time now - no roll.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »

Mine moves enough that I got tired of my wife's reaction whenever I got off the bike and she was watching. Gets left in gear all the time now - no roll.
Ha, been there too. One of the better reasons to leave it in gear. That little yelp they give out scares me more than the bike rolling forward

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2013, 10:15:33 AM »

Ha, been there too. One of the better reasons to leave it in gear. That little yelp they give out scares me more than the bike rolling forward

Yeah - that and when in the truck and she looks up from her phone, screams - puts her feet on the dash and yells "lookout" because she "just" sees the car alongside us that I have been watching for several hundred yards.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »

I could always tell a difference between starting in neutral vs starting in gear...could always feel the bike want to move when initially hitting the start button when in gear.  100% of the time, I pull the clutch in. 100% of the time I have two fingers on the front brake lever before hitting the starter button.  Both feet on the ground unless I's starting cold, then I do the same routine from the left side of the bike, put on my helmet/gloves, etc and then get on the bike from the left side.  I cannot remember a single time I have ever started the bike with my right foot on the rear brake pedal...I want both feet on the ground "just in case".  Front brake engaged, start the bike, let the idle speed drop to normal, support with right foot, put it in gear, both feet back on the ground, ride off.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

BaggerProud

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 banana
    • CVO2: 1994 FXSTC
    • CVO3: 1983 XLX
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »

Yeah - that and when in the truck and she looks up from her phone, screams - puts her feet on the dash and yells "lookout" because she "just" sees the car alongside us that I have been watching for several hundred yards.
How come my wife's ridin' in your truck?? :bananarock:

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »

If you've taken an MSF RiderCourse, you know they always stress leaving the bike in first gear when you shut it off---keeps it from rolling while you dismount and mount again. Then put it in neutral before you start it. And like a previous poster said, I pull the clutch when I hit the starter for two reasons; insures the bike won't move when you hit the starter and breaks the clutch plates loose so it will slide into first much easier. On the old kick start bikes, we always squeezed the clutch and kicked it through to free the clutch plates, still needs to be done on the electric starts.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2013, 03:51:57 PM »

Unfortunately that isn't the case, especially on a cold start, due to a phenomenon called clutch drag.

Jerry

x2
If you want peace, prepare for war.

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:18 AM »

Just to make a point about starting the motor while not in neutral.  It does put a load on the starter when cranking while in gear.  Just to prove my point,  leave the bike in first gear,  pull in the clutch and try to roll the bike forward,  very hard to do,  this just proves that there are parts that are still slightly engaged which does cause more of a load on the starter when attempting to start while in gear.  Just my thoughts,  sounds reasonable.  HUH
Jimmy

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2013, 02:19:59 PM »

Park in 1st gear, start in neutral with clutch in. Old habits hard to break. Never kick start a bike in gear don't ask how I know this. ;D
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2013, 03:39:37 PM »

Put the bike on a lift, make sure it's strapped down. Start it up in neutral the rear wheel will spin. You can stop it by hand, but it will rotate on it's own in neutral. Start it in 1st with clutch in, it'll spin faster with more torque to the wheel. I've only done this after detailing and engine wasn't warmed up, but as Jerry said clutch drag.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2013, 03:55:51 PM »

There is a reason that Motor officers always start in first gear and foot on brake..................................................

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »

Park in 1st gear, start in neutral with clutch in. Old habits hard to break. Never kick start a bike in gear don't ask how I know this. ;D
Mike
 :drink:

That is the kind of thing you do only once, if you are lucky.   :drink:

Watched a bike - not mine - that was started in first gear run up over a curb a time or 2.  Once it gets going, it's like a wild bronco & doesn't want to stop.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »

There is a reason that Motor officers always start in first gear and foot on brake..................................................

I guess it depends on region and training. I know and have ridden with several, none of them do. I'll ask the instructor when I see him in December.

masiman

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »

I start in neutral with clutch disengaged.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.