Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: My 110 took a dump on the way home from Daytona  (Read 23053 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: My 110 took a dump on the way home from Daytona
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2014, 11:59:12 PM »

Then of course its a $33K bike that experienced catstrophic engine failure at 18K miles.  WTF is that???  The more you pay for the bike, the less reliable, makes no sense to me.

[/quote]
To be fair that is not only true about bikes but most "toys" with motors. In cars "the more you pay for them" i.e. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce etc the more you pay for them absolutely the less reliable they are but damn, they sure are fun while they are exchanging fuel/air for exhaust fumes...
Just saying
Alan

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »

thanks for the info.  i wasn't expecting that the process was totally painless, but i was really curious as to whether they were searching for any kind of 'out' on their end.  it seems like it is somewhere in between and then also luck of the draw.  you hear of some folks who get their esp's cancelled for having aftermarket valve stems, and then there's others who have superchargers and nitrous and still get work done (ok, i exaggerate a little :D)

the fact is these warrantees and the bikes cost a lot of money and it would suck to be stuck out in bfe with them telling you, 'nope, not covered'.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2014, 04:53:06 PM »

thanks for the info.  i wasn't expecting that the process was totally painless, but i was really curious as to whether they were searching for any kind of 'out' on their end.  it seems like it is somewhere in between and then also luck of the draw.  you hear of some folks who get their esp's cancelled for having aftermarket valve stems, and then there's others who have superchargers and nitrous and still get work done (ok, i exaggerate a little :D)

the fact is these warrantees and the bikes cost a lot of money and it would suck to be stuck out in bfe with them telling you, 'nope, not covered'.....
What ESP will cover has really changed recently... Both My Dealer and myself really got an "education" recently with the '09 (SE Stage III Kit ~ all Harley). It's odd to both of us that the 259s are "street legal" in the 103s and not the 110s :nixweiss:

'Just very, very fortunate to have a Dealer that is standing behind his word=Priceless!!

If I have a failure in bfe, I'll just have to deal with it, or get the bike back home...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2014, 06:11:53 PM »

:confused5:
"What ESP will cover has really changed recently... Both My Dealer and myself really got an "education" recently with the '09 (SE Stage III Kit ~ all Harley). It's odd to both of us that the 259s are "street legal" in the 103s and not the 110s "

:-\  Can you be a little more specific as to what you mean by the above comment,  I and many others may have "opted" to wait a while before (maybe) going for the extended warranty.........and your reply may help us decide if it's worth it. :nervous:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2014, 12:52:43 AM »

In my experience, what it boils down to; ESP has covered some modifications in the past, and between the Dealer and ESP, the claim process (whether stock or slightly modified) has been relatively painless and efficient to the Purchaser, but recently ESP will not accept any claims that do not meet the letter of the contract, and even at that, customer satisfaction with ESP seems to be on a decline. On the other hand, it comes down to actuarial data, ESPs bottom line, and Harley's recent shortcomings.

Within this thread, bigskyroadglide's Skunk was stock at failure, and; 

(Post 119)
"it was nothing like upfront and painless.  If that was the case, i would have gotten the engine repaired a lot differently.
it was very painful and took too long & created needless hours of missed riding over the course of 4 weeks.  Then of course its a $33K bike that experienced catstrophic engine failure at 18K miles.  WTF is that???"

(Post 1)
"So ESP sent a inspector out (very quickly too) and i am waiting after an overnight stay and a 600 mile rental car trip home to hear about my bike."

Other than bigsky's catastrophic failure of a premium Harley product at 18k (I had 2 failures in 22k ~ professionally adult ridden ~ properly maintained ~ I'm not very happy about the '09 with the MoCo at this point...) I feel that 4 weeks (for bigsky) is a reasonable (3 weeks, would be very impressive) turnaround for a complete rebuild including #s matching cases, I would be curious as to how satisfied bigsky is with the way his Skunk runs, after this drama, and how many miles until (if?) another claim (failure).

The '05 SEEG; (bone stock) still has ESP and it is comforting.

The '09 SERG; ESP denied the claim for the same (front intake lifter / catastrophic ) as bigsky because of a SE Stage III Kit (all HD) ~ my Dealer's reasoning was that since the 259 upgrade is "street legal" in a 103, then the 259s would have ESPs blessing ~ not so... (ESP would not accept any mods whatsoever to reinstate) I cancelled ESP...

My short take;
Read the contract (what will be / not be covered), if you can enjoy your Harley within the parameters of the contract (basically no 'mods) then IMO ESP is a worthwhile expenditure.

Don't purchase ESP until very near the end of the factory warranty period (they will hit you with overlap, if you let them).

There is approximately 50% margin for the ESP selling Dealer.

You can cancel ESP for a rebate anytime.

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2014, 07:28:12 PM »

In my experience, what it boils down to; ESP has covered some modifications in the past, and between the Dealer and ESP, the claim process (whether stock or slightly modified) has been relatively painless and efficient to the Purchaser, but recently ESP will not accept any claims that do not meet the letter of the contract, and even at that, customer satisfaction with ESP seems to be on a decline. On the other hand, it comes down to actuarial data, ESPs bottom line, and Harley's recent shortcomings.

Within this thread, bigskyroadglide's Skunk was stock at failure, and; 

(Post 119)
"it was nothing like upfront and painless.  If that was the case, i would have gotten the engine repaired a lot differently.
it was very painful and took too long & created needless hours of missed riding over the course of 4 weeks.  Then of course its a $33K bike that experienced catstrophic engine failure at 18K miles.  WTF is that???"

(Post 1)
"So ESP sent a inspector out (very quickly too) and i am waiting after an overnight stay and a 600 mile rental car trip home to hear about my bike."

Other than bigsky's catastrophic failure of a premium Harley product at 18k (I had 2 failures in 22k ~ professionally adult ridden ~ properly maintained ~ I'm not very happy about the '09 with the MoCo at this point...) I feel that 4 weeks (for bigsky) is a reasonable (3 weeks, would be very impressive) turnaround for a complete rebuild including #s matching cases, I would be curious as to how satisfied bigsky is with the way his Skunk runs, after this drama, and how many miles until (if?) another claim (failure).

The '05 SEEG; (bone stock) still has ESP and it is comforting.

The '09 SERG; ESP denied the claim for the same (front intake lifter / catastrophic ) as bigsky because of a SE Stage III Kit (all HD) ~ my Dealer's reasoning was that since the 259 upgrade is "street legal" in a 103, then the 259s would have ESPs blessing ~ not so... (ESP would not accept any mods whatsoever to reinstate) I cancelled ESP...

My short take;
Read the contract (what will be / not be covered), if you can enjoy your Harley within the parameters of the contract (basically no 'mods) then IMO ESP is a worthwhile expenditure.

Don't purchase ESP until very near the end of the factory warranty period (they will hit you with overlap, if you let them).

There is approximately 50% margin for the ESP selling Dealer.

You can cancel ESP for a rebate anytime.

I have a little different take on this.  The ESP (except for tire & wheel) never begins until the moco factory warranty expires.  This is true whether you purchase it day one or the last day of the factory warranty.  Couple reasons imo to purchase sooner rather than later.  If you wait over a certain amount of time (don't recall the exact number of days - ninety maybe?) then there is an additional charge for the ESP.  And by waiting you are also subjecting yourself to possible rate increases.  If you want the tire & wheel then sooner is better because it begins when the ESP is purchased.  All you save by waiting is the time value of the money you spent on the ESP and what with today's low interest rates you'll not make much leaving the money in the bank.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:00:48 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

bigskyroadglide

• Junior CVO Member
  • Live like today is your last day
    • MT

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide CVO Skunk
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »

Well since i am not picking the bike up until the 12th, can not really say how it will run until after that date.  However my opinion about ESP is as follows:

I purchased ESP approx 2 months before the end of my factory warranty.  Why, just never thought about ESP, this was my first new bike, had always had new to me bikes, not brand new.

2nd reason, had experienced the noise with lifters, prior to end of warrenty however dealer could not replicate the issue therefore was told to ride the bike.  (i have this in writing from the dealer on the RO). Was somewhat worried therefore, purchased ESP.

3rd reason Had experienced a blow out on rear tire, on hwy 50 in nevada,  approx 6 months earlier and if i had wheel and tire, would have only been out 350 for the tow vs 850 for the tow and tire.

therefore, my opinion at the time was wheel and tire would have been a good deal since my one incident would have paid a 1/3rd of the ESP cost for an additional 5 years.

With these facts in mind, i purchased ESP from Kutter and not from my local dealer due to price.

Overall, ESP has been a good deal so far, since, i have recovered my entire investment in one incident and still have 4 years left.

The question, is would i do it again?  If i had listened to my gut, i would have just changed out the lifters despite ESP and avoided this incident, however i was attempting to stay true to the ESP concept and changing out the lifters would have potentially provided a reason for future claim denial.

So my answer is Yes i would purchase again.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:29:53 PM by bigskyroadglide »

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2014, 08:38:47 PM »

'Sorry if I misspoke. 'Don't think that wheel & tire was available when I first purchased ESP... (around '03 I think... :nixweiss:)

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »

I would've thought you'd be entitled to a copy of the inspection report?  I'll have to double check the claim procedures and rules on my ESP.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

bigskyroadglide

• Junior CVO Member
    • MT

« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2014, 08:23:52 PM »

OK guys and dolls, gather round.  Attached are the representative photos of the destruction of my 110.  You will see the main character, his partner in the deed, the fallout as in (debris) and will hear about the solution, how its working and final thoughts.

this will be pic heavy

as you can see, 4 lifters, two in decent shape, one about to fail and one failure.  Note the roller bearings, they are suppost to all be the same size.  Note the lifter that is apart, shouldn't that be together?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:25:36 PM by bigskyroadglide »

bigskyroadglide

• Junior CVO Member
    • MT

« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2014, 08:26:39 PM »

now for the failed lifter shots, sorry for the crappy photos

bigskyroadglide

• Junior CVO Member
    • MT

« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »

another lifter shot

bigskyroadglide

• Junior CVO Member
    • MT

« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »

another lifter shot  again bad photo

bigskyroadglide

• Junior CVO Member
    • MT

« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »

shot of the oil pump internals, check out those grooves

bigskyroadglide

• Junior CVO Member
    • MT

« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2014, 08:31:43 PM »

shot of the inside of the lift bore, this was getting pounded for a while
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 24 queries.