Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: What are you thoughts on the 2014 CVO Roadking?  (Read 11455 times)

metfancowboy

Re: What are you thoughts on the 2014 CVO Roadking?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 05:18:37 PM »

My thoughts on the 14 RK? The 13 looked much better.

King2013

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 08:56:27 PM »

My thoughts on the 14 RK? The 13 looked much better.

I agree. I think the 13 looks better? I also like that it came with the audio and lowers.
The 13 has the oval type mirrors and I think the seat is more comfortable than my 13 street glides.
The orange is the only color that I think looks ok on the 14 and the rear lights look like an after thought or more like what the first gens should have looked like, something new and rushed.

casbar

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 RK
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 01:03:27 AM »

I didn't want tunes and lowers on a Road King, that's why I bought the 14, which I think is what a Road King should look like. But then I would say that, because I own one :) Pretty happy with the Rushmore advances as well. Each to their own!

JakeB

• Full CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2014 SERK
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 10:03:36 AM »

I didn't want tunes and lowers on a Road King, that's why I bought the 14, which I think is what a Road King should look like. But then I would say that, because I own one :) Pretty happy with the Rushmore advances as well. Each to their own!

exactly    :2vrolijk_21:
Jake

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »

RKs are good looking bikes.  The 2013 always throws me, though, b/c of the lowers--just doesn't fit my mental pic of a RK.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Smithbss

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 08:31:24 AM »

Just goes to show we all have different views, on your points above:

I don't find an issue with the seat, nor does my wife
One of the reasons I bought the bike was to get rid of the crash bars, if your pillion is short, the saddle bag guards push on their calves
Mirrors are fine for me, quite like them
Don't have an issue with passenger pegs, nor does my wife
You can leave the rain sock on, if its an issue, there are plenty of articles that show, the sock doesn't affect performance.
[/quote]

Yep, everyone's perspective is different. For me, any motorcycle classified as "touring" that has a seat incapable of accepting a driver backrest of any kind is going to rate very low.

it is however, a great looking seat.

mike jesse

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 02:49:15 PM »

I bought my 14 because it looks like a stripped down semi custom in my eyes.
No radio, no lowers, and a solo seat.

Personal bitchs.......the windscreen sucks for me. I'm 6 ft. 2 in. and no matter how I adjust the flap it has too much buffeting.
I want to try a standard King windscreen.
The bars are bent at such a severe angle my wrists start hurting after about 15 min. of riding.
Thinking Wild Ones 8 1/2 in. mini apes. Anyone try those? The angle is only 40* so it should be an improvement.

Blownbullit

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 10:20:54 AM »

I have had my 14 for about 3 months and I love it. I have 4500 miles on it in that short period of time. I just rode 9 hours to Pensacola from Memphis and then another 9 back and the stock seat was more comfortable than any I have ever ridden. I was not a fan of the stock bars so I replaced them with 10" Todd's Strip Bars. I prefer no lowers and I like to strip the bike down when riding locally (No windshield, pillion, etc.). The only complaint I have is the limited travel of the front suspension. The forks bottom out anytime I hit a substantial bump and I only weigh 185. I put Legend Air on the rear so it is fine. Overall I am very happy with the bike and I have no regrets.

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE 2014
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 11:35:47 AM »

I agree with the two last posts. No regrets at all!!
My only issue is the angle of the bars as well. I do like those 10" Todds. I was thinking wild ones as well. I do not want to have to replace the current wiring so staying away from anything taller than 10".
I did get rid of the windshield right away and am using the standard Road King windshield. Perfect, no buffeting when cruising at 80.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »

I like the Road King... That was going to be my first Harley... how I ended up with a Road Glide is still a mystery to me  :nixweiss:

I am just glad that 2014's were not offered in blue... I almost jumped on a green one a month ago...
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

jpdchicago

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE 2014
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 12:50:52 PM »

Another view of it with the driving lights...
Only about 1000 miles on it so far but I do find the seat more comfortable than my 2003 road king classic. A little too much forward (just about an inch or 2) but I will try to fix that with new mini ape handlebars. I like the adjustable shocks and not having to deal with the old air pump every other week. Turned the dial a few clicks and found the perfect setting.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »

Thinking about this some more... 2013 vs 2014.  Great to see the responses of the plus and minus from other folks here.  I like the 2013... but was somewhat unsure of the lowers...only liked the Anniversary edition as I was not to thrilled with the graphics on the other two.  When the new ones came out (2014) there was the complaint that they got rid of all that and were still charging the same price... but it did take it back to its pure form for a RK... but I like lowers for the protection they provide...

I am a pretty confused individual at this time  :D  I can't afford both... if I go for a new RK the RGC will have to go...  and I want a new one, RK or RGC, but it will have to be Blue  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:01:24 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »

And yes... the rear lights on the 2014 take a bit to get used to when compared to the smooth and integrated lights on the previous version... not sure why HD did that... but the paint and graphics are sooooo cool. 

On the seat. The seat is similar to the one on my RGC and I find it extremely comfortable and just beautiful to look at when not riding.  I have not found (well, not really looking to change it either) another seat that looks like it while providing more comfort.  Maybe with the years I will have to rejuvenate the internals to keep it working like new.

And before someone comments on the price... yes... 28,499 for the 2014 and 29,999 for the 2013... but, if you wanted, you can't put passenger backrest, speakers and lowers on the 2014 for that price difference...

I love the round mirrors, they work amazingly well.  Do not foresee changing those...

The saddlebag lids.. wow, the new system is just amazing... old ones are cumbersome to open and close.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:27:38 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 01:19:44 PM »

I like both the 13 and 14 Road Kings. I like the colors better on the 14 but I like the chromed out 13 better than the blacked out 14.
14 windshield goes straight to the trash pile along with the handlebars. Stock windshield and 10 to 12 inch black apes are a must first thing. I like the look of the 14 mirrors but not very functional. Also looks better with no crash bars at all on bike. With the black motor it also needs gloss black pipes.

The 13 is great but again handlebars go in the trash in favor of 10 to 12 inch chrome apes. Not a big fan of lowers on a bike with no fairing so they would probably come off along with the crash bars. Blue is the best color.

I like the new bag latches on the 14 as well as the updated suspension and all this is JMHO.

TIGER

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE6
    • CVO2: FLSTNSE
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »

so much improvments... I love my 2014

(dont remember where I pick up this)
part 1
Harley's Custom Bagger Now Has Dark Custom Styling
The  CVO™ Road King, Harley's entry in the high-performance bagger segment, gains a new attitude for 2014 thanks to Project RUSHMORE. New CVO Road King tweaks include blacked-out components like the handlebar, controls, mirrors, powertrain and covers.  The saddlebags get extended and now wrap around the mufflers, while the new low-profile seat (now two-piece) gets a removable passenger pillion. The brawny Screamin' Eagle Twin Cam 110™ V-Twin engine is fitted with a new tuned Heavy Breather air cleaner and intake runner.

Project RUSHMORE: A Journey, Led by Riders.

According to H-D, "Project RUSHMORE is a comprehensive effort by Harley-Davidson to improve every aspect of the motorcycle riding experience. After years of imagining, planning, engineering, styling, and testing, and countless hours of riding with and talking to its customers, Harley-Davidson presents the results of Project RUSHMORE on motorcycle models that are smart, comfortable, responsive and simply stunning."

"Project RUSHMORE has been touched by thousands of people, many of them our riding customers," said Scott Habegger, Harley-Davidson Director of Motorcycle Planning. "It represents a new direction in product development at Harley-Davidson that integrates the voice of the customer not just up front, but throughout the process. We gather input and ideas at formal focus groups, but also at all the events we attend, at our demo rides, sometimes just talking to that rider or passenger sitting on the next stool at a diner. Our dealers also provide valuable input. We take our ideas and solutions back to customers as prototypes and get more feedback before settling on a final design. "

The Project Rushmore enhancements slot into four customer-defined categories: Control, Infotainment, Feel and Style. For 2014 those elements were applied to the CVO Road King:

1. Control

Reflex Linked Brakes combine ABS with electronically linked brakes that dynamically optimize front/rear brake balance. Linked braking is activated when the motorcycle is above 20 to 25 mph. If braking is initiated at slower speeds the front and rear brakes function independently. When linked braking is active, applying the front, rear or both brake controls will apply braking force to both the front and rear brakes in a proportion determined by the Reflex Linked Brakes system to optimize performance. The braking will stay linked as speed drops below the 20-25 mph threshold. Reflex Linked Brakes incorporates ABS to further help the rider maintain control during braking events, especially those that happen in less-than-optimal conditions.

The Daymaker LED headlight delivers a highly focused lighting pattern that delivers outstanding "punch" into the darkness. The light quality mimics that of natural daylight to further enhance visibility, and its bright-white color is conspicuous in traffic. The Daymaker headlamp has two D-shaped lenses: one that focuses light into a pool directly in front of the bike for outstanding low-beam illumination, and another separate high-beam projector that delivers a super-bright, focused beam to penetrate deep into the darkness.

Improved Front Suspension including larger fork sliders and stiffer triple clamps, provide improved steering response. Fork diameter is increased from 43.1mm to 49mm (14 percent). The steering stem is supported by larger bearings. Suspension damping has been re-tuned for a smoother ride over minor pavement irregularities like tar strips.

In peacetime, nothing suits better than the calm, modesty, humility, but the war comes, then take example on the Tiger.
W. Shakespeare.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.