Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Runout question  (Read 10290 times)

cropsure

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Runout question
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 07:05:31 PM »

Once the shop got everything apart they discovered brass particles throughout everything. Oil pump, oil pan. I assume this it what scored the cylinder walls so bad. They said it was from the brass bushings on the connecting rods?  Said the new ones don't have this? Also, once the primary was disasembled, discovered a lot of black sludge in the bottom of it. I have always ran Redline's primary fluid and changed at 5 to 10,000 miles. I almost always pull a bushtech trailer with this bike as I only use it for touring. Am usually always on the interstate ruining between 75 and 80. Maybe I've just ran this thing too hard?  I don't know but I'm about done with HD. $37,000 motorcycle can't last anymore than 25,000 miles is pitiful. I see a 1600 GTL in my future.

cropsure

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »

Pic 2

cropsure

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »

Pic 3

cropsure

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »

Pic 4

cropsure

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »

Last one

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 07:18:54 PM »

Once the shop got everything apart they discovered brass particles throughout everything. Oil pump, oil pan. I assume this it what scored the cylinder walls so bad. They said it was from the brass bushings on the connecting rods?  Said the new ones don't have this? Also, once the primary was disasembled, discovered a lot of black sludge in the bottom of it. I have always ran Redline's primary fluid and changed at 5 to 10,000 miles. I almost always pull a bushtech trailer with this bike as I only use it for touring. Am usually always on the interstate ruining between 75 and 80. Maybe I've just ran this thing too hard? I don't know but I'm about done with HD. $37,000 motorcycle can't last anymore than 25,000 miles is pitiful. I see a 1600 GTL in my future.

Glad I am not the only one that feels this way.  :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 01:01:12 PM »

As an early victim of the 110 motor, my had .020 at 7000 miles and was replaced.  I traded it for a 2006 TC88 Street Glide and have never looked back.  I had Andrews 26 and hydraul.ic cam plate upgrade at 30,000 and the runout was .002!

I guess not too many bikes are getting gear drive theese days!

Just sad.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 03:23:41 PM »

As an early victim of the 110 motor, my had .020 at 7000 miles and was replaced.  I traded it for a 2006 TC88 Street Glide and have never looked back.  I had Andrews 26 and hydraul.ic cam plate upgrade at 30,000 and the runout was .002!

I guess not too many bikes are getting gear drive theese days!

Just sad.
With HD these days you either draw a long straw and have little to no issues, or you draw the short straw and have more and worse issues. Problem is more short straws than long straws. There that about sums it up.

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 12:18:25 PM »

The original TC88's had forged cranks from 99-02. I've never witnessed a bad crank from those. It may have happened, by I have no recollection of it. My 01 crank showed .0005 runout, someone took the time to make sure it was right!
The problems all started when some moneygrubbing a...le at HD said he could save Moco a boatload of $$ by going to a cast crank!! At the time, the cast crank where done in the USA at least.I've witnessed a couple of crank failures, but most held together fine.
 About the same time,  another HD prime said hell, lets use a single row bearing on the drive side, more $$ saved. Then going overseas to get bearings, and cranks, the situation has progressively gotten worse. (all to save $$).
Crank runout in the original was considered good at .0015, with a rebuild required at .003. That should have happened some 100,000miles down the road under normal conditions with proper maintainance.
Now they expect us to believe that .012 is acceptable and would cause no issues! Just one little point here, since the cam plate also supports the oil pump, and the crank end goes thru the camplate with.001 clearance when new, how much support will it have when the wobbling crank hogs it out to .012 or more.
Even worse,imo, that hole in the camplate is where the main feed to the crank pin/ connecting rods gets its oil supply! How much pressure/ volume is lost when the .001 tolerance new is opened up to .012!! Now the crank pin and rods are only getting a small portion of the oil they probably require to live.
Harley's answer seems to be, "don't give a sh..t" as long as it survives thru the warranty period, the suckers will still keep buying our crap, they're loyal to us forever. And this is all stock, add any performance enhancers,, and the failure possibilities rises expotentially. There I'm done  Twinotter
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 24 queries.