Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Currently broke down in southern Indiana  (Read 14847 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Currently broke down in southern Indiana
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »

Damn, what a cluster ****!

Mike
 :drink:

You read all the issues with this 110 on the forums but you say to yourself you are only seeing a handful of whats out there and there are a lot great running bikes out there and then BAM you get the massive failure. Makes me want to fix it and sell it. If I had a car motor fail at 19k I would be seriously pissed off yet it seems to be a common issue on Harleys and one that people just shrug off?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2014, 09:43:35 PM »

Do the 110's have an issue with the guides dropping? That is what caused my bent valve.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »

Do the 110's have an issue with the guides dropping? That is what caused my bent valve.

I am not sure but I do not have a warm and fuzzy feeling for any of the QC from the factory. Play in the valve guides on both of my heads real nice...

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2014, 10:14:59 PM »

Let me add that after leaving my baby broke down 600 miles away in a strange land I passed an 04 Cherry on the interstate and couldn't help but think REALLY? My 12 can't complete a 4k trip and this guy is out on a 2004! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »

Well, if it was red it was an '05, but not that it matters.  I had an '04 SEEG and broke down about 300 miles from home.  Wasn't catastrophic engine damage, but still pissed me off enough to trade up to the '12 SEUC.  Built the motor right away in it, but still feel like I'm at the mercy of the 110 gods.  Air-cooled, 110 year-old designs bring air-cooled, 110 year-old problems.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »

Well, if it was red it was an '05, but not that it matters.  I had an '04 SEEG and broke down about 300 miles from home.  Wasn't catastrophic engine damage, but still pissed me off enough to trade up to the '12 SEUC.  Built the motor right away in it, but still feel like I'm at the mercy of the 110 gods.  Air-cooled, 110 year-old designs bring air-cooled, 110 year-old problems.
Damn I always get the 04 and 05 mixed up. Yes 05 cherry.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »

My 2009 SEUC at 19,989 miles, front cylinder exhaust valve guide slipped down toward the piston.
Exhaust valve held open. Intake valve bent. Probably same issue on Jesse's bike. (different cylinder, same issue)

Warranty covered mine also.

SBB

Something I want to mention that to me is important. Before my 09 SEUC went clatter, clatter, clatter I was warned.
The problem was that no one knew what was happening. Maybe once out of a hundred accelerations (up to redline) as I hit the higher RPM's all of a sudden I would lose power, just like cutting the bike off. The Harley shop had no clue, no one did. Until everything came loose. What was happening was the valve guide on a hard acceleration would slip down and hold the exhaust valve open. Bingo, any valve open = no compression = motor not running. Then the guide would go back in place and everything was fine. Until the last time and the guide stuck. The valve stuck and intake valve hit exhaust valve then the clattering meant motor was done.

A couple thoughts Jesse, my Harley shop replaced everything with new parts and they assembled the heads from those parts.
1) If the dealer is installing a new factory assembled head, I wouldn't have the warm fuzzies. If they are going to assemble the head I would go for that.
2) With 19000 + miles the shop also noticed the tensioners were very worn so they were replaced.
3) When the shop assembling the heads (they did both) I went on to put 30,000 more miles on that bike.

Harley Davidson of Charlotte took good care of me. All they asked in return was "Chip, please don't run anymore race gas."

Yes!
I'm think lack of quality assembly at the factory.

You read all the issues with this 110 on the forums but you say to yourself you are only seeing a handful of whats out there and there are a lot great running bikes out there and then BAM you get the massive failure. Makes me want to fix it and sell it.

Jesse, been there, felt the same way. I have since purchased two more 110's since that 09 SEUC. Am I disappointed in the issues that surround these high dollar bikes, YES. I am very fortunate to have a great dealer that will take care of my issues. Should any arise.
We pay our money, we have fun, we deal with issues when they arise. You have had 19K miles of fun don't let a bad issue spoil that future fun. Let the dealer fix the bike. (hopefully assembling the head in his shop) Please don't be offended by what I'm going to say next. In the big scheme of things if I saw you and your wife pass by on that beautiful bike I'd probably be thinking "I wish they had a helmet on" versus "I wonder how long that 110 is going to last this time."

But that's just me.
Good luck with the repair and then go riding.
Riding is a passion you, I and the great members of this site share.
Don't let one issue get to you.

[/color][/b]
[/quote]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2014, 10:31:23 PM »

Something I want to mention that to me is important. Before my 09 SEUC went clatter, clatter, clatter I was warned.
The problem was that no one knew what was happening. Maybe once out of a hundred accelerations (up to redline) as I hit the higher RPM's all of a sudden I would lose power, just like cutting the bike off. The Harley shop had no clue, no one did. Until everything came loose. What was happening was the valve guide on a hard acceleration would slip down and hold the exhaust valve open. Bingo, any valve open = no compression = motor not running. Then the guide would go back in place and everything was fine. Until the last time and the guide stuck. The valve stuck and intake valve hit exhaust valve then the clattering meant motor was done.

A couple thoughts Jesse, my Harley shop replaced everything with new parts and they assembled the heads from those parts.
1) If the dealer is installing a new factory assembled head, I wouldn't have the warm fuzzies. If they are going to assemble the head I would go for that.
2) With 19000 + miles the shop also noticed the tensioners were very worn so they were replaced.
3) When the shop assembling the heads (they did both) I went on to put 30,000 more miles on that bike.

Harley Davidson of Charlotte took good care of me. All they asked in return was "Chip, please don't run anymore race gas."

Yes!
I'm think lack of quality assembly at the factory.

Jesse, been there, felt the same way. I have since purchased two more 110's since that 09 SEUC. Am I disappointed in the issues that surround these high dollar bikes, YES. I am very fortunate to have a great dealer that will take care of my issues. Should any arise.
We pay our money, we have fun, we deal with issues when they arise. You have had 19K miles of fun don't let a bad issue spoil that future fun. Let the dealer fix the bike. (hopefully assembling the head in his shop) Please don't be offended by what I'm going to say next. In the big scheme of things if I saw you and your wife pass by on that beautiful bike I'd probably be thinking "I wish they had a helmet on" versus "I wonder how long that 110 is going to last this time."

But that's just me.
Good luck with the repair and then go riding.
Riding is a passion you, I and the great members of this site share.
Don't let one issue get to you.

[/color][/b]
Chip they have ordered new heads and guides and valves and will be assembling them to my knowledge. I'm calling the service manager at 9 am for a full update. He was gone on Monday.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »

Lol and Chip we both had helmets on the entire trip. I even wore mine on the way home although I didn't have to once I reached Kentucky I chose to keep it on. The half helmets I purchased are very comfy.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2014, 10:36:34 PM »

Chip they have ordered new heads and guides and valves and will be assembling them to my knowledge. I'm calling the service manager at 9 am for a full update. He was gone on Monday.

Guess what, your bike will be a better bike even though it was rough on you.
Keep us informed on the progress!

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »

Lol and Chip we both had helmets on the entire trip. I even wore mine on the way home although I didn't have to once I reached Kentucky I chose to keep it on. The half helmets I purchased are very comfy.

Cool.
Next time you ride repeat this as a big bug hits that helmet.
I'm wearing a helmet because I want to, not because Chip thinks I should.

:huepfenlol2:   :nervous:   :huepfenlol2:   :nervous:   :huepfenlol2:

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2014, 11:42:15 PM »

Jesse, sorry about your breakdown, been there not fun. Hopefully everything will be repaired and you will be good to go.  I am heading west on my 06 next week and it has 66,000 plus on it. Hope it holds up, I think it will but you never know. If it doesn't I guess I will be upgrading on the road.

Can't wait to here how the repair goes.

Good luck and ride safe.

Chains
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2014, 11:44:25 PM »

Jesse, sorry about your breakdown, been there not fun. Hopefully everything will be repaired and you will be good to go.  I am heading west on my 06 next week and it has 66,000 plus on it. Hope it holds up, I think it will but you never know. If it doesn't I guess I will be upgrading on the road.

Can't wait to here how the repair goes.

Good luck and ride safe.

Chains
Thank you. I hope you get 66k more.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 11:46:52 PM »

Bike not running is never good no matter how close or far away from home you may be! Glad you are ok and made it home safe. Happy you broke down close to a good dealer. It will be good as new.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2014, 12:00:58 AM »

I guess no one mentioned the new blue ones don,t have valve problems! they are a little faster also. you had a great trip!! the pictures say that!! you and the bsr arrived home safely!! a little dealer work some new plans and another adventure. you have a lot to be thankful for. oh yeah thanks for sharing all the photos!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 21 queries.