Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: need help with safely hauling my CVO to Colorado  (Read 9189 times)

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
Re: need help with safely hauling my CVO to Colorado
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 09:43:32 PM »

I use a Condor chock

When the bike is in the trailer I use 5 straps.

2 webbing loops around the driving light brackets with two ratchet straps going forward and out.
2 ratchet straps from the passenger foot pegs out and slightly rearward.
1 ratchet strap around the rear wheel pulling directly rearward.

I would not use straps on the handlebars, but thats just me.

I pull the straps tight enough to compress the springs about 1"
I let the bike ride on it's suspension. Some here prefer to pull the bike down tight on a block of wood.

Take the EZpass out of the bike and leave it home - it will register in the trailer, as will your tow vehicle.

No harbor freight crap for straps (or chocks)

Straps will stretch after the first hour or so, after that they will have minimal stretch.

I have over 20K in my RV doing this and thousands more in the motorcycle trailer with so far - zero issues.
Although since I may not be a real biker - take it for what it is worth.

This is dead nuts on. And make sure to leave your key fob with the bike so the alarm does not go off.

I have a 2 bike trailer that when tied in this way I have 2 inches of clearance on each side and in the middle. The bikes never move a fraction. I also add one more strap on the front wheel wrapping around the condor chock
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 10:30:47 PM »

I have a 2 bike trailer that when tied in this way I have 2 inches of clearance on each side and in the middle. The bikes never move a fraction.

My motorcycle trailer is the same way. The RV has a bit more room to play with though.

When I was using BikePro chocks I use to use a strap over the front wheel cinching down the tire into the chock.
That got to be a pain in the butt getting the bike out of the chock. So I tried it few times without the wheel strap.
Worked ok so I never bothered with that strap when I got the Condor's
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »

I use pingle wheel chocks (what came with trailer) with 4 straps on front & 2 on rear. make sure you get good ratchets. (look & compare thickness of blade with something like ancra as opposed to harbor freight, northern tool, advance auto.)  I use 2 loop straps around the engine guard, pulling forward with a ancra ratchet . (do this on both sides). then I use 2 more loop straps to the handle bar as a safety backup in case the others were to malfunction. then i use 2 on the rear, connecting to the passenger footboards pulling to the rear (not alot of pressure) just to keep the bike from walking. the importance here is the quality of the straps & to compress the front forks some but not all the way. also around the engine guard where it connects to the frame so the strap doesn't move or slide. I've seen people open the trailers & have bikes laying on top of each other due to lack of periodic checking for load security
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »

Using the handlebar to tie down a Harley Touring bike is a NO-GO. You risk having the handlebar wear loose (up and down), or worse. The handlebar is a hollow tube and is not meant for securing the bike under load.

Clyde

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 10:51:13 PM »

Just a thought Jesse, handlebars with internal wiring are slotted at the bottom between the risers for the wring to exit. That makes for a weak spot.

Agreed. No longer using the bars...

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 11:49:04 AM »

I use Condor Chocks, tie the front with ratchet staraps to where the frame and engine guard cross.  The back I will go from the frame below the transmission to the side at almost 90 degrees.  The back ones are simply to keep it from bouncing to the side. 

I check them every time we stop and have only had to ever adjust anything at the first stop.

The idea about strapping the tire to the Condor is a good one, will add that one too.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 12:22:39 PM »

I use Condor Chocks, tie the front with ratchet staraps to where the frame and engine guard cross. The back I will go from the frame below the transmission to the side at almost 90 degrees.  The back ones are simply to keep it from bouncing to the side. 

I check them every time we stop and have only had to ever adjust anything at the first stop.

The idea about strapping the tire to the Condor is a good one, will add that one too.
Yup, that's the strongest and most secure location. Both handle and crash bars will bend. I've never trusted the light bars, but I've never tried them either. 

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »

nice video showing use of chock and strap placement for transporting bike.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 07:23:34 PM »

I pulled my bike 240 miles to Doug Lofgren for a tune in Minnesota today. I strapped 2 to the down tubes, 2 to the engine guard, 1 to each rear floorboard, and 1 through the rear wheel. The bike never budged. Anyone who knows the midwest knows the roads SUCK lol.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »

My trailer below...
Enjoy the Journey

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »

Does anyone use the "Biker Bar" http://www.turnoverball.com/products/motorcycle/biker-bar to secure their bikes??  I'm getting ready to buy a new trailer and thinking about going this route…

FLH91

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »

Does anyone use the "Biker Bar" http://www.turnoverball.com/products/motorcycle/biker-bar to secure their bikes??  I'm getting ready to buy a new trailer and thinking about going this route…

FLH91

I had looked at this before. IMO it does not take into account the tires possibly vibrating and sliding sideways. Even with the biker bar I would still strap it down. If that is the case then I like the Condor chocks better.... just drive the front wheel into it and it locks the front wheel in place
Enjoy the Journey

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 10:46:14 PM »

The key is to use a good wheel chock. I use the Condor.

I use 2 straps for the front- around the frame and top of the engine guard, which goes to the side and slightly forward.

The rear, I'm still experimenting with, but I've used the passenger footpeg mounts or saddlebag bars.

Trailered for the first time last year down to NC- no issues at all and the good quality ratchet straps never loosened.

Doing it again for another trip down there in a week.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

senorjeem

• Starting Out
  • Full CVO Member
  • I SURVIVED THE MAYAN END OF DAYS!!!
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 11:05:28 PM »

I haul our two using wheeldock chocks and tiedowns that have spring loaded hooks on each end so that they cannot come unhooked by themselves when the suspension compresses for example.  The other thing that has been a real success storey for me is that I screwed 3 layers of 2" dressed lumber together, that are 2 feet long and I slide them under the bikes, and at least on mine, when I let the air out of the shocks, the bike sits down solid on this block, prior to me tieing them down.  Can't miss

BigD2112

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 07:04:32 PM »

double R
that is a very nice trailer...hell that could almost be a house for most bikers.....don't over compress your forks or you will blow out the seals....check the straps every time you gas up....keep the back wheel from swinging around....
2014 CVO Limited
2009 XR1200
2012 Challenger SRT8
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.