Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: changed clutch lever, now won't start unless in neutral  (Read 14997 times)

harleygirl12

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

changed clutch lever, now won't start unless in neutral
« on: September 14, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »

2012 cvo softail convertible, I had Harley dealer change the clutch lever to the short reach lever on Saturday and I love it....less fatigue at long stop lights BUT, now it only starts in neutral and the gear display doesn't register what gear I'm in.  I called the dealer back immediately about the gear display not working and they said something about it not being related to changing the lever, it's an electronics thing. Didn't know the bike wouldn't start in gear until I took it out today.  Anyone have this happen to them?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: changed clutch lever, now won't start unless in neutral
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »

in respect to the bike not starting in neutral unless in neutral, there are 2 possibilities.  the first, the clutch lever they used did not have the 'tang' on it that presses in the neutral switch in the clutch perch.  the second, is that the lever does have the tang, but they broke the switch during the install.  its a small microswitch, much like the brake light switch in the right hand lever and is easy to break.

the other situation is not related to the clutch lever switch, but don't let the dealer off the hook.  it's supposed to work, you want it to work, if it is under warranty, he needs to fix it.  if it isn't under warranty, then you have to decide if it's worth spending the money on.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:10:24 PM »

I'm not familiar with a "short reach" clutch lever from Harley, and using the search feature on the Harley accessory website doesn't show anything either.  What exactly did they install?

If the bike would start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in before the dealer worked on the bike, and if the only thing they did was to change the lever, the odds are they either screwed up the clutch switch as noted by ekim60, or whatever lever they installed isn't designed to work with a late model bike with a clutch interlock switch.

Btw, I'm not aware of any "short reach" lever that's meant to be used with the hydraulic clutch.  There are a few I've seen in aftermarket catalogs, but they are for cable clutch models only.  Thus my question as to what part this dealer actually installed.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harleygirl12

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:33:03 PM »

Interesting about the clutch lever switch.  My Harley dealer purchased the lever and installed it for me, it's a kuryakyn  lever designed with a shorter reach for less fatigue.  I like being able to start in gear, mainly if the bike were ever to stall at a red light and finding neutral isn't the easiest on this bike.  I may have to decide what I want to forfeit, being able to start in gear or better clutch control....I just want it all!  My dealer is one of the good ones, I'll see what they say when I call them tomorrow.
Thanks for the replies.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:55:45 PM »

I'm aware of two Kuryakyn short reach clutch levers - the Trigger and Boss Blades.  Both are designed for cable operated clutches - not hydraulic clutches.  Do you know what specific Kuryakyn clutch lever was installed?  Here is a link to each...

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/115/trigger-levers

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/3972/boss-blades-with-adjustable-clutch-lever

Does your bike not start in neutral because the clutch is still partially engaged when you've squeezed the clutch lever, causing your bike to "lurch" forward when you engage the starter?  If so, either the technician allowed air to enter the hydraulic system when installing the clutch lever (and the system needs to be bled), or the design of the lever does not allow enough piston travel in the master cylinder when you squeeze the lever - which means the clutch plates are not fully released.

Do Softails have indicators which tell you what gear you are in?  Or is it just a six gear indicator like the touring models?

Regardless, if your indicator worked when you dropped off your bike, it should work when you pick up your bike.  I suggest taking your bike back to the dealer and tell them to fix it...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mark

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:16:52 AM »

Interesting about the clutch lever switch.  My Harley dealer purchased the lever and installed it for me, it's a kuryakyn  lever designed with a shorter reach for less fatigue.  I like being able to start in gear, mainly if the bike were ever to stall at a red light and finding neutral isn't the easiest on this bike.  I may have to decide what I want to forfeit, being able to start in gear or better clutch control....I just want it all!  My dealer is one of the good ones, I'll see what they say when I call them tomorrow.
Thanks for the replies.

From a safety stand point, you need to be able to start the bike in gear.  As you noted, if you stall in the roadway, you may find yourself needing to get out of the way in a hurry.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:34:50 AM »

Sounds like the lever is not designed to operate the switch. You do have an option, but only you can make the decision to use it as it would be considered un-safe. You can wire around the switch so it will start at all times.......the danger of course being that you would have to make sure the clutch was dis-engaged b4 hitting "Start".
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »

Thanks for the replies.

Not that I want to be argumentative (yeah, right ;)), but a dealership that installs a lever that is not designed to be used with a hydraulic clutch on a bike with a hydraulic clutch isn't exactly what I would call "one of the good ones".  That reduced reach lever also reduces the travel of the master cylinder plunger and the actuator, thus affecting the full release of the clutch.  In other words, it can cause clutch drag which will lead to other issues.  There is a very good reason why H-D and the aftermarket do not offer alternative shape levers for the hydraulic clutch bikes.  Kuryakyn specifies that those levers are for cable operated clutches only.

If you want to improve your reach to the stock lever, try smaller diameter grips.  That will get you maybe an eighth of an inch closer to the lever depending on the grip.  If the problem is the effort it takes to pull the lever, there are other alternatives to help with that, like the Clutch Wiz you can find detailed in threads on this site.  Do yourself a favor and have that dealer put your stock lever back on the bike.  They didn't do you any favor, and they need to learn something about hydraulic clutch bikes.  Now that Harley installs the hydraulic clutch on regular models and not just the CVO's, you would hope a dealership service department would already know better.

Jerry 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:23:49 AM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harleygirl12

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »

Didn't get a chance to talk with Harley yet, but I will most likely have them put the stock levers back on.  Already have the smaller diameter grips.  I've been riding with the stock levers with no problem, my hand gets fatigued at a long red light....no problem, but going to Panama City Bike fest in Oct. and you know how riding in town is stop and go.  I'll be interested to hear what the mechanic says.

King2013

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »

Not that I want to be argumentative (yeah, right ;)), but a dealership that installs a lever that is not designed to be used with a hydraulic clutch on a bike with a hydraulic clutch isn't exactly what I would call "one of the good ones".  That reduced reach lever also reduces the travel of the master cylinder plunger and the actuator, thus affecting the full release of the clutch.  In other words, it can cause clutch drag which will lead to other issues.  There is a very good reason why H-D and the aftermarket do not offer alternative shape levers for the hydraulic clutch bikes.  Kuryakyn specifies that those levers are for cable operated clutches only.

If you want to improve your reach to the stock lever, try smaller diameter grips.  That will get you maybe an eighth of an inch closer to the lever depending on the grip.  If the problem is the effort it takes to pull the lever, there are other alternatives to help with that, like the Clutch Wiz you can find detailed in threads on this site.  Do yourself a favor and have that dealer put your stock lever back on the bike.  They didn't do you any favor, and they need to learn something about hydraulic clutch bikes.  Now that Harley installs the hydraulic clutch on regular models and not just the CVO's, you would hope a dealership service department would already know better.

Jerry

I couldn't agree more. Dealer did you no favor. Get your stock lever back on and seek an alternative, there are plenty out there that are much safer.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »

Although not familiar with this particular model, in general the switch at clutch should be irrelevant to starting in gear or neutral. A kickstand switch will determine starting whether in gear or neutral  when deployed. Or am I missing something?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 08:56:56 PM »

Although not familiar with this particular model, in general the switch at clutch should be irrelevant to starting in gear or neutral. A kickstand switch will determine starting whether in gear or neutral  when deployed. Or am I missing something?

The only reason the clutch lever interlock switch exists is to prevent starter operation when the bike is in gear and the clutch is engaged.  The ECM uses the data from the neutral switch and the clutch switch to decide whether to allow the starter to operate or not.

As for the side stand interlock, that also will affect starting.  This is how Harley explained it back in 2008:

NEW Jiffy stand interlock switch
• For HDI, UK and all Police Models, meets European regulations.
• Motorcycle will not start if jiffy stand is down while rider attempts to start motorcycle in gear.
• While running in neutral, if the jiffy stand is not retracted before putting motorcycle in gear, motorcycle will stall.
• If jiffy stand drops while rolling in gear, the instruments and tell tale lights will flash and odometer will display message (SidE StAnd).

The bike in this thread only has the clutch switch.  The HDI (export) models get the jiffy stand switch, to meet European regulations.

Jerry

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »

The OP states "now it only starts in neutral", which indicates to me the bike cannot be started with the bike in gear and the clutch lever squeezed.  Lacking further detail, this would seem to mean the clutch is still at least partially engaged with the clutch lever squeezed.  A short reach clutch lever on a bike with a hydraulic clutch could cause this condition...

If the bike could be started with the bike in gear, I would question the function of the clutch lever interlock switch, but that is not the problem being described.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 08:02:39 PM »

if the clutch were partially engaged, the bike could still start, it would just lurch.  a lot.  the op didn't make any mention of said lurching when attempting to start, so i still think it's a neutral switch problem.  which takes us back to the aftermarket levers.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

tysndys

• Full CVO Member
    • UT

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 (sold)
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 08:20:47 PM »

There are reduce reach levers available for hyd clutches. I installed a set on my flstfse2 to improve the drivability for my wife. I can't confirm or deny the condition the OP is describing, but I had no problems.  Maybe something changed in years after 06?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:54:27 PM by tysndys »
Tires just don't last long enough
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 24 queries.