Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: New Rinehart Tru Dual system install problem  (Read 23686 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: New Rinehart Tru Dual system install problem
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2007, 07:42:37 AM »

So I installed the new Kuryakyn brake lever and it fits perfectly and looks great (almost identical to the stock) in addition to being extended. Now I have another problem with these friggin pipes. I purchased the Zippers Thundermax auto tune kit and received it today. I went to install it and guess what, another problem. The new 5 wire O2 sensors are longer than the stock sensors and will not work on the front header. I cannot get the sensor line up with the port to screw it in because of the oil filter housing. I attempted to re-position the header after several hours of work without success. I was finally able to get the O2 sensor installed but the header would not seat properly on the gasket because of the length of the O2 sensor. I am seriously considering taking these Rineharts off and sending them back for a refund. Nothing but aggravation !!!  >:( >:(

A while back, I was speaking with John K. of Zippers, and he told me of the problem with the O2 sensors and the Rineharts.  He told me the way they got around it was to install the sensor in the pipe BEFORE installing the front pipe on the bike.  I got the impression that the problem was the angle of the bung did not allow enough room to install the sensor, not that there wasn't enough room for the sensor once it was installed in the pipe.  I would call John before going any further and performing any other type of mod.

Best of luck,

Chief

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2007, 07:59:38 AM »

A while back, I was speaking with John K. of Zippers, and he told me of the problem with the O2 sensors and the Rineharts.  He told me the way they got around it was to install the sensor in the pipe BEFORE installing the front pipe on the bike.  I got the impression that the problem was the angle of the bung did not allow enough room to install the sensor, not that there wasn't enough room for the sensor once it was installed in the pipe.  I would call John before going any further and performing any other type of mod.

Best of luck,

Chief

In my installation, installing the sensor first still did not obtain the proper clearance necessary.  I had to loosen the oil filter adapter and rotate it as much as possible, and also mill clearance on the oil filter adapter.  Doing both of these things gave me sufficient clearance to install the 02 sensor.

I included pictures in another thread...

sadunbar
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2007, 08:02:55 AM »

In my installation, installing the sensor first still did not obtain the proper clearance necessary.  I had to loosen the oil filter adapter and rotate it as much as possible, and also mill clearance on the oil filter adapter.  Doing both of these things gave me sufficient clearance to install the 02 sensor.

sadunbar

Thanks Scott. The more I hear, the closer I am to getting a set of V&H TD's for the new bike.

Cheers

Chief

hdfatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • Pain is Mandatory. Misery is Optional.
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2007, 10:22:11 AM »

sadunbar

Thanks Scott. The more I hear, the closer I am to getting a set of V&H TD's for the new bike.
Cheers
Chief

Guys,
Not questioning what anyone has done, how they did it or why. . . BUT I just got mine back up an running last night after several weeks of down time for engine mods  ;D. One of those mods was to swap out Vance & Hines True Duals w/oval mufflers for the Rineharts. I only had the V&H system on the bike for less than a week. They made great torque but only moderate HP (yes other usual mods also – SERT, & A/C). In search of more power and matched to other mods I went with the Rineharts. (again – had them on my ’03 Ultra, and ’06 CUSE) I had NO fitment problems on my '07 CUSE2. In fact they went on fairly simply. No cutting, no modifying, no grinding! The only problem I had was with the instructions and bracket for the rear pipe  [smiley=furious3.gif]. The instructions are wrong (admitted by Karen at Bub) and they are going to re-print the corrected instructions. It seems early versions of the pipes had been shipped with instructions for the 88”/103” platform and they are not even remotely close for the 96”/110” platform. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] After mock up & clarification everything got torqued and works fine with no clearance problems either  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif].

The other issue Bub had was that pipes from late ’06 were making they’re way into ’07 packaging  [smiley=wall.gif] which could be the fitment problem. (again confirmed by Karen at Bub) CHECK THE PART NUMBERS and VERIFY with the distributor be it Drag Specialties or your HD dealer when ordering and then verify again when you get them before installing. It seems Bub began building the Rineharts with dual 02 sensors in the same position in the pipe as the ‘07s but were designed for the previous powertrain platform (88"/103”) late last year. This could most definitely be your problem. The new (correct) version fits very well. No brake pedal interference, no O2 sensor clearnce issues, chrome is perfect, etc. etc. with loads of power and a sweet sound!  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2007, 10:29:03 AM »

Guys,
Not questioning what anyone has done, how they did it or why. . . BUT I just got mine back up an running last night after several weeks of down time for engine mods  ;D. One of those mods was to swap out Vance & Hines True Duals w/oval mufflers for the Rineharts. I only had the V&H system on the bike for less than a week. They made great torque but only moderate HP (yes other usual mods also – SERT, & A/C). In search of more power and matched to other mods I went with the Rineharts. (again – had them on my ’03 Ultra, and ’06 CUSE) I had NO fitment problems on my '07 CUSE2. In fact they went on fairly simply. No cutting, no modifying, no grinding! The only problem I had was with the instructions and bracket for the rear pipe  [smiley=furious3.gif]. The instructions are wrong (admitted by Karen at Bub) and they are going to re-print the corrected instructions. It seems early versions of the pipes had been shipped with instructions for the 88”/103” platform and they are not even remotely close for the 96”/110” platform. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] After mock up & clarification everything got torqued and works fine with no clearance problems either  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif].

The other issue Bub had was that pipes from late ’06 were making they’re way into ’07 packaging  [smiley=wall.gif] which could be the fitment problem. (again confirmed by Karen at Bub) CHECK THE PART NUMBERS and VERIFY with the distributor be it Drag Specialties or your HD dealer when ordering and then verify again when you get them before installing. It seems Bub began building the Rineharts with dual 02 sensors in the same position in the pipe as the ‘07s but were designed for the previous powertrain platform (88"/103”) late last year. This could most definitely be your problem. The new (correct) version fits very well. No brake pedal interference, no O2 sensor clearnce issues, chrome is perfect, etc. etc. with loads of power and a sweet sound!  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Hey, that's encouraging!!!

In your opinion, how is the volume difference in going from the V&H to the Rineharts?

Thanks,

Chief
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:29:32 AM by HarleyDudeAtl »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2007, 10:41:14 AM »

Guys,

I did verify part numbers and I have the new version  07 pipes.  My only issue was with the 02 sensor interference on the front pipe.  After discussion with Rinehart, it appears they were having a slight variation of the location of the bung for the front pipe in their manufacturing process - enough to cause the problem I had.  If I had known this early in the installation, I would have returned that pipe for a replacement pipe - but now that I have made the modifications and have acceptable fitment, I am fine leaving well enough alone.  I did not have an interference issue with the brake lever.

Scott
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

hdfatboy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2007, 10:46:34 AM »

Hey, that's encouraging!!!

In your opinion, how is the volume difference in going from the V&H to the Rineharts?

Thanks,

Chief

I had been following this thread so I was aprehensive outta the chute and was cautious as I started bolting it up. But when I was done I was very happy. They are only slightly louder at idle. They bark from 4500 up. Unfortunately I cannot give you more than that since I was in it most of the time for a good hour! Only putted through the hood on the way back home and they're not bad when you ride it normally.

Mike

hdfatboy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2007, 10:53:22 AM »

I did verify part numbers and I have the new version  07 pipes.  My only issue was with the 02 sensor interference on the front pipe.  After discussion with Rinehart, it appears they were having a slight variation of the location of the bung for the front pipe in their manufacturing process - enough to cause the problem I had.  If I had known this early in the installation, I would have returned that pipe for a replacement pipe - but now that I have made the modifications and have acceptable fitment, I am fine leaving well enough alone.  I did not have an interference issue with the brake lever.

Scott

It sounds like you had a tough time with that front pipe. Totally sucks, I feel for ya. Karen did allude to their uncertainty of location of the O2 sensors due to fitment on the new powertrain platform (different oil cooler, different transmission, etc.) apparently they must have made up their mind becuase I had no clearance problems with either the front or rear sensor (i did install the sensor before installing the pipe). How long ago did you get your Rineharts Scott? I've only had my pipes for two weeks and like I said, no issue. Wheewww!
Mike
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:54:49 AM by hdfatboy »

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »

The stock O2 sensors fit without any issues but the Zippers O2 sensors are longer which is causing the problem. I am not going to start modifying the oil filter / cooler just to make the whole setup work. If I need to re-position the oil filter adapter I will do so but I WILL NOT start grinding,milling, or doing any major permanent altering to a $34k motorcycle. I spoke with Bill Lam at Zippers this morning (very helpful and patient with me  ;D) who informed me to remove the entire right side exhaust (including muffler) and install the new O2 sensor before re-fitting the header. He said to go in at an angle and secure the header before clamping the lower part of the pipe in place. He said it is a tight fit but will work without moving the filter adapter. However, if it does not work I will try to move the adapter but don't know how to do it. Can someone give me a brief overview of how to move the adapter incase I need to tackle it ?? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:16:32 AM by copout221 »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2007, 11:50:15 AM »

I had been following this thread so I was aprehensive outta the chute and was cautious as I started bolting it up. But when I was done I was very happy. They are only slightly louder at idle. They bark from 4500 up. Unfortunately I cannot give you more than that since I was in it most of the time for a good hour! Only putted through the hood on the way back home and they're not bad when you ride it normally.

Mike

OK man, I'll give you some leeway on that one, but when you can calm your right wrist down a bit, I want a full RPM range sound report. Only joking, kind of.

Enjoy it,

Chief

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2007, 05:06:47 PM »

It sounds like you had a tough time with that front pipe. Totally sucks, I feel for ya. Karen did allude to their uncertainty of location of the O2 sensors due to fitment on the new powertrain platform (different oil cooler, different transmission, etc.) apparently they must have made up their mind becuase I had no clearance problems with either the front or rear sensor (i did install the sensor before installing the pipe). How long ago did you get your Rineharts Scott? I've only had my pipes for two weeks and like I said, no issue. Wheewww!
Mike

I received my pipes the first week of December...

Scott
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2007, 05:09:20 PM »

The stock O2 sensors fit without any issues but the Zippers O2 sensors are longer which is causing the problem. I am not going to start modifying the oil filter / cooler just to make the whole setup work. If I need to re-position the oil filter adapter I will do so but I WILL NOT start grinding,milling, or doing any major permanent altering to a $34k motorcycle. I spoke with Bill Lam at Zippers this morning (very helpful and patient with me  ;D) who informed me to remove the entire right side exhaust (including muffler) and install the new O2 sensor before re-fitting the header. He said to go in at an angle and secure the header before clamping the lower part of the pipe in place. He said it is a tight fit but will work without moving the filter adapter. However, if it does not work I will try to move the adapter but don't know how to do it. Can someone give me a brief overview of how to move the adapter incase I need to tackle it ?? Thanks in advance.

Anyone. Anyone with the answer to this question. Can the oil cooler adaptor be adjusted at all ? If so, what is the best way to do it ??

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2007, 05:14:14 PM »

It is relatively easy to adjust the cooler adapter.  Remove the oil filter.  The cooler adapter is retained by a center bolt that can be loosened with a 7/16 allen wrench.  Loosen the center bolt, rotate the cooler adapter to its furthest location (it will hit a cast internal stop), tighten the center bolt, replace the filter.  I understand you not wanting to alter your bike, but if you wanted to mill or grind some clearance on the cooler adapter, that would be the time to do it.  There is plenty of material - probably well over a quarter of an inch of thickness.  I milled the clearance I needed, painted the milled area black and reassembled.  But, as I said, I understand your reluctance to do this to a new SE bike...

Scott
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2007, 05:25:57 PM »

It is relatively easy to adjust the cooler adapter.  Remove the oil filter.  The cooler adapter is retained by a center bolt that can be loosened with a 7/16 allen wrench.  Loosen the center bolt, rotate the cooler adapter to its furthest location (it will hit a cast internal stop), tighten the center bolt, replace the filter.  I understand you not wanting to alter your bike, but if you wanted to mill or grind some clearance on the cooler adapter, that would be the time to do it.  There is plenty of material - probably well over a quarter of an inch of thickness.  I milled the clearance I needed, painted the milled area black and reassembled.  But, as I said, I understand your reluctance to do this to a new SE bike...

Scott

Thanks Scott. I am in my garage right now wating for a 7/16 allen to arrive (via my wife) so I can loosen the adaptor. All I need is approx 5/16 on an inch or so to get this O2 sensor in and aligned. How did you mill the top of the adaptor? Did you have to remove the entire adaptor ? I also think my adaptor was positioned a bit high from the MOCO so I hope moving it will work for me ...

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2007, 07:44:18 PM »

Thanks Scott. I am in my garage right now wating for a 7/16 allen to arrive (via my wife) so I can loosen the adaptor. All I need is approx 5/16 on an inch or so to get this O2 sensor in and aligned. How did you mill the top of the adaptor? Did you have to remove the entire adaptor ? I also think my adaptor was positioned a bit high from the MOCO so I hope moving it will work for me ...

I don't think you will get 5/16 of an inch movement.  The cast internal stops will not allow for this much movement regardless of where it was originally positioned at the factory.

Once you remove the 7/16 attachment bolt, you only need to remove the two oil delivery and return lines from the fittings to completely remove the coolant adapter.  If you intend to do this, make sure you accurately mark the area you need machined from the adapter before you disassemble it from your bike.  As I said earlier, you can grind clearance or mill clearance.  There is plenty of excess material in the area of your interference.  Be careful not to damage the gasket on the back side of the adapter.

Scott
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 20 queries.