Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Extended warranty  (Read 3836 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Extended warranty
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 04:31:10 PM »

Terry, what about the engine mods? Cams coming soon! How's that gonna work? Warranty, Scmarranty or stealth or 1 agreeable dealer or Sorry Terry, you've been denied? Oh the stress is killing me! ;D ;) Hoist!  8-)
They have to prove that the failure was caused by aftermarket parts, otherwise it's covered. Plus the parts that have been replaced are much better then what the MoCo has anyway.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 04:44:40 PM »

They have to prove that the failure was caused by aftermarket parts, otherwise it's covered. Plus the parts that have been replaced are much better then what the MoCo has anyway.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

They don't prove anything to deny your claim. You have to fight to get them to accept it. Maybe sue them. What happens when their defense is that all these mods violate EPA, DOT and whatever else they want to use to screw you? d00d, I'm gonna have a rough enough time fighting with them 2 years let alone 7. You can always extend it before the 2 years are up (more money then). So if you got bad issues you can either extend it then or sell the bike. And this is coming from the "Defender of the Warranty"! ;) Hoist!  8-)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 04:46:05 PM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 04:51:08 PM »

They don't prove anything to deny your claim. You have to fight to get them to accept it. Maybe sue them. What happens when their defense is that all these mods violate EPA, DOT and whatever else they want to use to screw you? d00d, I'm gonna have a rough enough time fighting with them 2 years let alone 7. You can always extend it before the 2 years are up (more money then). So if you got bad issues you can either extend it then or sell the bike. And this is coming from the "Defender of the Warranty"! ;) Hoist!  8-)
They will have to prove it to my laywer or me. Remember I don't have a '07 also.... what EPA, DOT??? ;D BTW - I do have the extended warranty (7 years w/wheel & tire) and have confidence in my dealer. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 04:55:42 PM »

The mods to my bike have never even came into question when I've used my extended warranty on this bike or my 02 Ultra Classic.  On this bike, they've replaced cam chain tensioners and all that went with that.  Early on (I'm riding an 04 SEEG) they had to replace the valve seal guides.....in so doing, they stained the cylinders so had to replace those, too.  

On my 02 Ultraclassic the stator went and took out everything in there and all of that was taken care of with no problem.  I've also had various electrical problems on both bikes and the inner primary seal on the Ultraclassic, too.

I think it pretty much depends on the dealership wether or not they treat the Magnussen Moss Warranty Act the way that it was intended.  That is, that the failure is supposed to be directly related to the aftermarket part(s) in order for them to void the warranty.  It's not supposed to be voided just simply because you've made alterations.  However, as discussed elsewhere on this site......many dealerships (and automotive dealerships, too) are banking that you'll not push the issue with the MMWA.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 04:56:40 PM »

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

There you go, d00d...that's the bottom line.  Once the cams and other stuff happens, I know they're not going to cover certain things on the motor, and I'll have to eat that if something happens...BUT, there are starters, radios, intercom systems, charging systems, potential leaks...all sorts of things that would be covered without question.  But then I've got an 06, and they don't have their panties all wadded up over EPA stuff on them.  IF they had wanted to, they could have said that my pipes, PC, and Dyno (not done by them) caused my comp nut to come loose, and the truth is, it probably did make the problem show itself sooner, but they fixed it without any questions.  The extended warranty, is, in fact, an insurance policy.

Plus, whatever goes into my motor will be better than what was there before, and stronger...so if I get the top end right, I'm not really going to worry so much about the bottom.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 05:00:49 PM »

To add to that..... All the mods that have been done to my bike (pipes/SERT/Cams/etc) were done by a dealer. One of the reasons for doing this is so that it couldn't be said that it was a poor installation or something done while installing caused another part to malfunction. The ball (and my money) is in their court. ;D

Simple fact is that there was a known weakness (cam chain tensioners - whether it happens on one bike or many) that I wanted to protect myself from was the reason that I did engine mods. If one was to choose to know about a potential problem and choose not to eliminate just for the sake of their warranty that is on them. Myself I would rather eliminate the problem and not have it worry (fail) me while I was many miles away from home.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 05:06:02 PM »

They will have to prove it to my laywer or me. Remember I don't have a '07 also.... what EPA, DOT??? ;D BTW - I do have the extended warranty (7 years w/wheel & tire) and have confidence in my dealer. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Who wants to deal with lawyers? Read my signature man! If it gets to that point, you've already lost. Lost every second you spend dealing with it. Look at this! d00d arguing to keep Warranty in tact and Hoist arguing to blow it off. I think there was a Star Trek episode about that. Something about Parallel Universes? ;D ;D ;D ;) Hoist!  8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 05:11:07 PM »

To add to that..... All the mods that have been done to my bike (pipes/SERT/Cams/etc) were done by a dealer. One of the reasons for doing this is so that it couldn't be said that it was a poor installation or something done while installing caused another part to malfunction. The ball (and my money) is in their court. ;D

Simple fact is that there was a known weakness (cam chain tensioners - whether it happens on one bike or many) that I wanted to protect myself from was the reason that I did engine mods. If one was to choose to know about a potential problem and choose not to eliminate just for the sake of their warranty that is on them. Myself I would rather eliminate the problem and not have it worry (fail) me while I was many miles away from home.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

You've got it all rationalized out nicely there, Gary... ;D ;D  Just kidding of course.  You are correct though...one of the reasons I want to do the gear drives/cams is because I have some two year out trips planned, and I don't want to be out in the middle of Death Friggin' Valley and my oil pump eat itself and ruin a vacation I've had planned for two years because of some POS part the MOCO knows will go bad, but refused to acknowledge and do something about.  So I'll have good parts in there, either done with my own two hands, or by somebody I know and trust, and will be confident taking off on a 5 thousand mile trip.

TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 05:14:17 PM »

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Terry, I'm just kinda toying with you and playing devil's advocate at the same time. Most items will never be an issue. And as d00d said, he has confidence in his dealer. Others might not have so much confidence in theirs. So doods mods are covered too. If the factory has to get involved and inspect the bike... Well Mike L can tell you those stories. Personally, I'm waiting til I find out if I got a Monday bike or Wednesday bike to decide whether or not to buy it. I just don't want to spend any more time than necessary fighting with those idiots, if I can help it. This doesn't mean much cause it's only my opinion! ;) Hoist!  8-)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 05:23:41 PM »

Who wants to deal with lawyers? Read my signature man! If it gets to that point, you've already lost. Lost every second you spend dealing with it. Look at this! d00d arguing to keep Warranty in tact and Hoist arguing to blow it off. I think there was a Star Trek episode about that. Something about Parallel Universes? ;D ;D ;D ;) Hoist!  8-)
You got it wrong Bro, I'm not arguing to keep the warranty, just going to get what I paid for if the cause/need arises (plus that’s why I pay every month to keep lawyers on retainers ;)). I'm just doing what I want to my bike to make it dependable/reliable/road worthy. Then I'm going to ride the hell out of it. ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 06:17:02 PM »

Terry, I'm just kinda toying with you and playing devil's advocate at the same time. Most items will never be an issue. And as d00d said, he has confidence in his dealer. Others might not have so much confidence in theirs. So doods mods are covered too. If the factory has to get involved and inspect the bike... Well Mike L can tell you those stories. Personally, I'm waiting til I find out if I got a Monday bike or Wednesday bike to decide whether or not to buy it. I just don't want to spend any more time than necessary fighting with those idiots, if I can help it. This doesn't mean much cause it's only my opinion! ;) Hoist!  8-)

I understand where you're coming from, Hoist, and respect your opinion, and choices.  I have little confidence in my dealer at this point in time, but I'm working on it, trying to find the best they have in service...already know the best in sales and parts.

Like JC said, I think all but the biggest A-hole dealers will do all they can for you when you have a problem, especially on the road.  From my two or three minor issues, it seems they bend over backwards, particularly for these CVO bikes.  Not all of them, mind you, but more of them than not.  I hope I never have to see Dron's out where Mike lives, or a few others I've heard about.

I wouldn't put too much credence in whether one of these CVO bikes is built on a particular day of the week, but that is just my opinion.

And getting lawyers involved in things is never any fun, but if somebody is trying to screw me over and I know I'm right, it becomes a matter of principle for me, and I'll take it wherever it needs to go.  Some things just aren't worth gettin' my knickers all twisted up about, but some things are.  Of course, I'm always nice to people first, and give them every opportunity to do the right thing, compromise, or work with me to resolve the issue because you can always catch more bees with flowers than with cacti...

TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 06:56:08 PM »

Just another random thought to throw out for your consideration:

You know, the more I think about this warranty issue (regular or extended service plan), after being a member of this site for a couple years and reading about the piles of money people are spending to customize these "custom" bikes, the more I think it's a non-issue.  Why would anyone willing and able to drop several thousands of dollars customizing a new $30k motorcycle be concerned about repair costs?  Screw it - do what you want and forget the warranty.  What's the worse that could happen, five or six grand for a new crate engine?  If it came to that, you could buy something from S&S, TP, etc. and get some real performance. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Black_Dog

• Full CVO Member
  • CVO Forum Member #157
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 11:38:08 AM »

I bought the extended warranty for $1,498.  In November of 2006 my dealer replaced both wheels, the front for the 3rd time and the back for the 2nd, also replaced the engine side cover, the total cost of the parts at retail was about $2,500.  They ordered all the parts for me when I had the bike in for new tires, they installed it all at no charge.

Black Dog [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 08:17:40 AM »

Haven't had it on either of my HD's , however if I was to go with a new 110" CVO I'd consider it , at least until the first year bugs are worked out.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 10:14:04 AM »

Bill,
It would have been covered in any of the shops I worked in, and there is no valid reason why not was not covered.

Porthole, you are right no valid reason.  The reason however is that the dealer screwed Bill when he should have been going to bat for him with Chrysler.

I have it on my SRT 10, my SEUC, my DWG3, my two jet skis and my computer.

I have had three computer repairs (in home), multiple SRT repairs although still on factory warranty, these warranties are a crap shoot, but I have always figured if I am keeping something beyond the factory warranty may as well have the additional coverage.  I look at it like health insurance, you sure as hell hope you never need it but if something happens and you do you are sure glad you have it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 24 queries.