Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Extended warranty  (Read 3834 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Extended warranty
« on: December 31, 2006, 04:20:32 PM »

I have never bought an extened warranty  on my other bikes or anything for taht matter but am wondering if maybe itis necassary with athe Se 110 I ride about 10,000 miles per year so I should find major problems in that time but wonder how much and if anyone thinkd that it is worht the price? thanks [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Extended warranty
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 05:06:25 PM »

I've used mine three times, on my 04 SEEG.  I guess the one that more than paid for itself was the last time.........when my cam chain tensioner shoes went south, on the way back from Sturgis.  I was really greatful that I had the extended warranty then.

By the way, the cost of the extended service plan is negotiable and can be bought from any dealership (doesn't have to be the one that you bought the bike from).  If your dealership will not negotiate or budge, call Chicago Harley Davidson.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 05:08:07 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Bagger

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 05:19:46 PM »

I bought what everyone refers to as an "extended warranty."  After reading it, it is actually better termed an "extended service plan."  After all, if it was a true warranty, we wouldn't have to pay the $50 fee each time we used it.  Anyway..........
I bought it for peace of mind......especially with things like the cam chain tensioners and their unpredictable failure.  Even if I go nuts modifying my engine, there are still plenty of other things on the bike for which it could be used.  I think it is worth the price.  

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 06:04:03 PM »

I have never bought an extened warranty  on my other bikes or anything for taht matter but am wondering if maybe itis necassary with athe Se 110 I ride about 10,000 miles per year so I should find major problems in that time but wonder how much and if anyone thinkd that it is worht the price? thanks [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I never bought it before either. Now they have 2 years standard. That's a first for me too. It's a little more money to buy it later, but I'll wait until it's almost expired before deciding. Everything that's gonna fail, should happen within the first 2 years. It's probably worth it on a full dresser with all the electronics and stuff. And all that fiber glass and paint. But for SERK's, Dynas and Springers, I'm not sure it's worth it. You should have everything all squared away within those 2 years. My $.02. Surprise everybody! ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 10:20:56 PM »

I never bought it before either. Now they have 2 years standard. That's a first for me too. It's a little more money to buy it later, but I'll wait until it's almost expired before deciding. Everything that's gonna fail, should happen within the first 2 years. It's probably worth it on a full dresser with all the electronics and stuff. And all that [highlight]fiber glass and paint[/highlight]. But for SERK's, Dynas and Springers, I'm not sure it's worth it. You should have everything all squared away within those 2 years. My $.02. Surprise everybody! ;) Hoist!  8-)
Before anyone decides to plunk down the cash, you need to read the actual contract carefully.  I believe you will find that it does not cover things like paint.  As noted earlier, this is not an extension of the factory warranty, it is a service contract.  Even H-D does not call it an extended warranty; they call it an "Extended Service Plan" (I have the brochure they mailed to me sitting here; reminding me my warranty will be up shortly and trying to sell me one direct.  So much for the idea you have to buy it through a dealer.)  The thing I really do not like about the way they promote and sell this product is the fact that they do not tell you up front, in plain English, what this thing does and does not cover.  The following is a direct quote: "Your Harley-Davidson Extended Service Plan covers [highlight]about[/highlight] every major component on your Harley - your engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, and other major systems."  No mention of any appearance items, or electronics for that matter.

I've made my feelings about "extended service contracts" known many times on this site, so I won't bore you again with the whole dissertation but just cut to the chase.  Take the money you would have spent on the "plan" and invest it.  After your two year warranty expires, if you need repairs the money will be sitting in your account.  If you don't need repairs, you are at least $1k+ ahead of the game.  The majority of people who buy service contracts never recoup their investment; it all boils down to my favorite Dirty Harry quote, "Do you feel lucky?".

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 10:44:51 PM »

When I bought my SEEG I also purchased the Extended Service Plan. I ended up requesting and getting a refund on the plan because i have made so many mods to the bike that the dealers would most likely not cover anything anyway. The other issue is that i do not trust any dealer in my area to work on my bike. The plan is effective from day one so when I got my refund they pro-rated it and I did not get the full amount back.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 01:27:30 AM »

I bought the ESP, cost me $2500 CAN if I remember correctly. Since then I have had about $4000 work done at the local dealer - no charge to me. I may have to cancel it however as I have started pulling a trailer & they won't cover anything related if you do. I had some motor work done at another dealer on my way back f/ Sturgis last summer & the claim was denied a month after I got home. I have no intention of paying it & I told them as much. If it goes any further I think I'd have a good case.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 01:54:25 AM by bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

dereck

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHXSE2.ORG

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: sold FLHRSE3 Black Ice
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 01:22:53 PM »

I bought the VROD in '03, and although nothing "major" was wrong with it I said I would never own another first generation HD anything.  Well, never say never.  This is a first generation 110" / six-speed combo so I ponied up for an additional 2 years.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 01:31:45 PM »

Save the money for chrome- It will be better spent on oil and hotels. Riding it as much as you plan on it will fail before then- If you do  have a look at the extended warrenty besure to understand just what is covered and what is not after buying it you may have wished for the chrome.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 02:01:38 PM »

Save the money for chrome- It will be better spent on oil and hotels. Riding it as much as you plan on it will fail before then- [highlight]If you do  have a look at the extended warrenty besure to understand just what is covered and what is not after buying it you may have wished for the chrome.[/highlight]

Not the 1st time I've heard this... I've never bought one and have never needed one. If I was inclined to buy one, I'd take a copy of it home and read it letter by letter to completely understand what I'm getting (or not getting) for my money. Most extended warrantys have a deductible that must be paid before getting a benefit.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 02:13:42 PM »

The term extended warranty is a holdover from the 70’s when the plans first started to come about, and it remains a generic term.
It is an “Extended Service Plan”
The thing I really do not like about the way they promote and sell this product is the fact that they do not tell you up front, in plain English, what this thing does and does not cover.

Jerry, I’m looking at my plan brochure right now and it lists every covered component.

No mention of any appearance items, or electronics for that matter

My brochure lists over 35 electrical items and separately lists the CD player, receiver and tape deck along with all of the CB intercom components. For those with sidecars, those components are also covered.

just cut to the chase.  Take the money you would have spent on the "plan" and invest it.  After your two year warranty expires, if you need repairs the money will be sitting in your account.  If you don't need repairs, you are at least $1k+ ahead of the game.  The majority of people who buy service contracts never recoup their investment

This can be a wise decision. Something you have to sit down and think about.
Will you really take the money and save it? Are you financially able to not let it be a concern?
I do agree, most people will probably not recoup their investment.

My opinion? I worked in the new car field for over 17 years and I have to tell you it is so much easier to call up Joe Customer and say “Joe, I have bad news and good news for you…. Your transmission is totally fried and the replacement is over $3000.00, but your extended plan does cover it along with the $250 tow. Your deductible will be $100.00”.

The plans are expensive, but they can give you piece of mind. Most plans can be rolled into the purchase agreement and financed along with the rest of the vehicle. That can be important to many people.

Note that I do not believe in contracts for most consumer items, the cost / benefit ratio is very one sided, example, TV’s cameras, appliances etc.

Example would be;
$30,000 SEEG, $1300 service plan, roughly 4.5% of the cost
$3500 LCD TV, $650 service plan, roughly 18.5% of the cost

You buy a new car and you will put miles on every month of the year, good chance any problems will surface before the basic typical 3 year - 36000 mile warranty runs out.

You buy a new bike and you may only put a few thousand miles a year on it and run out time way before you have sufficient miles on it to have any problems crop up (except maybe mine).

Most service plans have benefits that begin on day one of ownership, such as trip interruption, rentals, hotel coverage etc.

Harley also offers an extra cost option to cover tires and wheels damaged by road conditions, which also begin on the 1st day of ownership.

Probably the biggest selling point though is that you can sell your bike and offer the extended coverage plan to the buyer. Think it would help sell your 5 year old performance dresser if you offer the buyer the remaining 2 year warranty?

So, I did buy it for my 05 SEEG, because of all the extras on that bike. Had I bought the Night Train instead, I probably would have passed it up.
I did not buy it for either of my last 2 new cars.

I did buy my wife a 3 month old Lincoln Continental a few years ago. Because it was a “Certified Used Lincoln” it came with an extended warranty rolled into the price. (many dealers do this with their “certified pre-owned” vehicles).

I don’t know how much that plan cost, but it included a rental every time we went for service and the repairs over the last few years have been expensive (not to us). We have had engine, a/c and other problems over the last few years. The last A/C repair alone was almost $2000.

If you decide to buy any extended plan, consider this. Only buy factory offered plans.
Over the years there have been many extended plans sold at dealers that were nothing more then in house plans, they are banking on you not having any problems. Many insurance companies offer plans too.

Bottom line here is, if you came into my dealer with an other then Chrysler plan we made you pay for the repair and then you would have to “try” and collect for the repair.

My 2 cents
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 02:54:48 PM »

The term extended warranty is a holdover from the 70’s when the plans first started to come about, and it remains a generic term.
It is an “Extended Service Plan”

My opinion? I worked in the new car field for over 17 years and I have to tell you it is so much easier to call up Joe Customer and say “Joe, I have bad news and good news for you…. Your transmission is totally fried and the replacement is over $3000.00, but your extended plan does cover it along with the $250 tow. Your deductible will be $100.00”.

If it only worked that way!!!

Had an engine problem in a '97 Dodge Ram, 5.9 Gas engine...idiot light was on...truck was still running fine.  Had the extended warrantee.

Diagnosis required the removal and scanning of both heads.  found crack in one.  Warrantee paid for one head and the removal and installation of ONE head.

I was on the hook for the labor and valve job to re-seat the other head that was removed in the process of correcting the problem that was covered under warrantee.  I also had to cover the x-ray costs for the second no-broken head.

Sorry, but this was all one repair and should have been fully covered.

I lost the battle and in the end, ~$1500.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 03:49:27 PM »

If it only worked that way!!!

Had an engine problem in a '97 Dodge Ram, 5.9 Gas engine...idiot light was on...truck was still running fine.  Had the extended warrantee.

Diagnosis required the removal and scanning of both heads.  found crack in one.  Warrantee paid for one head and the removal and installation of ONE head.

I was on the hook for the labor and valve job to re-seat the other head that was removed in the process of correcting the problem that was covered under warrantee.  I also had to cover the x-ray costs for the second no-broken head.

Sorry, but this was all one repair and should have been fully covered.

I lost the battle and in the end, ~$1500.

/Bill

Bill,

It would have been covered in any of the shops I worked in, and there is no valid reason why not was not covered.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 04:20:59 PM »

I have purchased extended warranties on the last 4 or 5 vehicles I own, including the SEUC and the VROD.  Ex-wifey had a Toronado...radio went out after 3 years...cost of radio repair was 1K...cost of extended service plan was $795...that and a couple of other things, I figure I got three times my money out of the warranty.  I have 7 years 100K on my Subaru Outback...will probably never use it, but it has every bell and whistle you can get on an Outback, so just ONE repair will pay for it, in most cases. Have 7 years on both bikes, plus the wheel/tire coverage on the SEUC...had a flat in MV so the tire coverage has already paid for itself with just one tire replacement/mount/balance...my cost in MV = $0  God forbid I ever bend a wheel, but if so, that would probably be around 1K to replace tire/wheel.  I just look at it as an insurance policy...you hope you'll never need it, and you hate to pay for it, but if you do need it, even just once, it will generally pay for itself at least.  On average, I've come out ahead of the game over the years by purchasing the extended coverage on vehicles. But, I drive things for a number of years.  Of course, I have to finance all my stuff, so that's one reason I get the warranty...limited liquid assets....I'm poor  :'(
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 04:26:48 PM »

I have purchased extended warranties on the last 4 or 5 vehicles I own, including the SEUC and the VROD.  Ex-wifey had a Toronado...radio went out after 3 years...cost of radio repair was 1K...cost of extended service plan was $795...that and a couple of other things, I figure I got three times my money out of the warranty.  I have 7 years 100K on my Subaru Outback...will probably never use it, but it has every bell and whistle you can get on an Outback, so just ONE repair will pay for it, in most cases. Have 7 years on both bikes, plus the wheel/tire coverage on the SEUC...had a flat in MV so the tire coverage has already paid for itself with just one tire replacement/mount/balance...my cost in MV = $0  God forbid I ever bend a wheel, but if so, that would probably be around 1K to replace tire/wheel.  I just look at it as an insurance policy...you hope you'll never need it, and you hate to pay for it, but if you do need it, even just once, it will generally pay for itself at least.  On average, I've come out ahead of the game over the years by purchasing the extended coverage on vehicles. But, I drive things for a number of years.  Of course, I have to finance all my stuff, so that's one reason I get the warranty...limited liquid assets....I'm poor  :'(

Terry, what about the engine mods? Cams coming soon! How's that gonna work? Warranty, Scmarranty or stealth or 1 agreeable dealer or Sorry Terry, you've been denied? Oh the stress is killing me! ;D ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 24 queries.