Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: cam tensioners  (Read 9173 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
cam tensioners
« on: May 08, 2008, 01:43:49 PM »

SERK is going in on tues. for normal maintennece and to have tensioners checked (45k on originals)

i'm looking at what options i might have. i dont want to change the cams. does anyone have any real world experiece using the new SE cam plate and oil pump in a stock 02 95" engine?

what other parts are needed doesnt look like it comes with tensioners? is this compatible with my existing cams?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

REGGAB

Re: cam tensioners
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 01:54:08 PM »

Lifters!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 02:01:25 PM »

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 02:07:14 PM »

why would in need them?

They've been in there for 45K miles.  Seems chancey to me, to risk a bleed down, when it can be easily prevented by replacing them while you're in the cam chest.  JMHO, Neal.   :2vrolijk_21:

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »

gotcha

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:54:54 PM »

I believe Jim (Hd-dude) has done the new oil pump and cam plate to change over to like the 07-up tensioners using your existing cams.

I'm with Henry in changing out the lifters.  I've heard too many times everything was perfect before cam work and then an old lifter wouldn't pump back up..

If they don't take off the rocker boxes you will need adjustable pushrods.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 03:50:23 PM »

I with you Neal 42,000 on the pumpkin and wonder how much longer they will hold up.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »

I thought I was sure about the new cam plate and oil pump situation until I started to type this, but now I'll have to go back and look again.  Damn it sucks getting old!

OK, my senior moment has passed.  The 25283-07 plate and oil pump kit is the one that fits the bikes with the old style spring loaded tensioners.  This kit doesn't convert the bike to hydraulic tensioners, it just upgrades the pump and the cam plate for a little more oil flow.  You will still need to replace the spring loaded tensioners or go to gear drives with this setup.  If you want to convert to the latest hydraulic tensioner system, new cams will be required as well as the new cam plate, tensioners, roller chain, etc.  Andrew's has a list of required components along with the special camshafts for this conversion on their web site.
http://www.andrews-products.com/motorcycle/cams/T88_99-2006_Conv_cams.htm
http://www.andrews-products.com/motorcycle/cams/T88_99_Conv_install_Kit.htm

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 06:11:17 PM »

SERK is going in on tues. for normal maintennece and to have tensioners checked (45k on originals)

i'm looking at what options i might have. i dont want to change the cams. does anyone have any real world experiece using the new SE cam plate and oil pump in a stock 02 95" engine?

what other parts are needed doesnt look like it comes with tensioners? is this compatible with my existing cams?

I put the new plate and oil pump in an 05 95ci motor. It holds better pressure at both idle and hwy speed. dont know if it runs cooler but I get no oil out of the breather now. Guess it has somthing to do with the larger scavenger gear. I would replace the lifters. There not expensive for the trouble they can cause.

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1981 FXSS
    • CVO2: 1983 FXRT
    • Big Boyz Head Porting
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 08:45:09 PM »

Definitely lifters.  Stock HD lifters are fine to use.

The obvious, tensioners.

And I would have them replace the inner cam bearings.  I would recommend using a Full Compliment bearing, typically refereed to as a "Torrington" bearing.

This is from our website....

Inner cam bearings, Whats the difference?

The very first time we go into the cam chest for anything, we replace the inner cam bearings with Torringtons. This is good practice for all L92 and up EVO's and Twin Cams.

The cam bearings shown are inner cam bearings for '99-'06 TC88, except '06 Dyna

The Torrington bearing has 31 captive needle bearings. The cut away drawing shows the basic construction. The red indicates the outer shell and the blue shows the bearing. '99-'06 TC88, except '06 Dyna Torrington PN B-148, TC96 and '06 Dyna Torrington PN B-168.

The INA bearing has 23 loose bearings held in place by a cage. The cut away drawing shows the basic construction. The red indicates the outer shell, the blue shows the bearing and the black shows the cage. Note the cage is the only thing holding the rollers in place. If the cage becomes damaged or wears, there is nothing to hold the bearings in place.

Note in the bottom picture the bearings are reversed.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 12:58:04 AM »

I believe Jim (Hd-dude) has done the new oil pump and cam plate to change over to like the 07-up tensioners using your existing cams.

I'm with Henry in changing out the lifters.  I've heard too many times everything was perfect before cam work and then an old lifter wouldn't pump back up..

If they don't take off the rocker boxes you will need adjustable pushrods.

I have done several, both with stock cams / tensioners and gear sets.

Definately do the lifters and inner bearings while in there. I would also change the outer bearings as well. The new plate only comes with the plate and pump. You will need to get the new bearings, cam shoes, cir-clips, and chain guide.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 02:05:24 AM »

This is from our website....

Since this has been mentioned several times and no one here seems to mind the info  8)

Perhaps you should the website to your signature

http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 08:59:01 AM »

remember if converting to the new tensioners and chains, you need the andrews cams with the letter N at end of part number. and also, use h-d stock lifters, they are better than the SE lifters!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 09:54:37 AM »

Definately do the lifters and inner bearings while in there. I would also change the outer bearings as well. The new plate only comes with the plate and pump. You will need to get the new bearings, cam shoes, cir-clips, and chain guide.

ok, if i'm following along correctly the new cam plate requires new bearings also? doesnt come with them?

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »

Jim, here's another twist, I have an 05, I think I want to go gear drive, would you recommend the newer plate and pump with gear drive, or go feuling plate and pump?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.