Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: H.O.G Membership  (Read 13280 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: H.O.G Membership
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 04:29:22 PM »

My recommendation is to buy a new CVO each year and the HOG membership is free as a consequence.  This is the logic I use on my imaginary wife who lives on as a figment of my imagination within the theater of the absurd constantly playing in my mind....   :bananarock:
And as an added benefit you don't have to pay for the extended warranty either!

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 04:48:24 PM »

Only time I had to use the HOG towing it was a disaster.  Had to get someone from over 50 miles away and then he did not have proper equipment to load my ultra.  Oh well, it's a crap shoot just depending on where you are when you break down.  Of course it is not 'really' HOG or HD for that matter - they just contract it out to Road America (as I'm sure other services do also).

But that's not why I support HOG.  Met lots of friends through HOG, been on several really nice road trips and gotten to know many of the execs at HOG and HD.  Gotten to know dozens of great folks at local chapter who I can ride with.  So all is all a big, big plus for me and HQ. 

But to each his (or her) own.  That's why they make chocolate & vanilla, Chevys & Fords.  Heck if everyone liked and supported that very same thing it'd be a pretty dull world.

I am with you mi amigo Jerry and with Mike (iski)....Hog made us to meet each other and having the opportunity to share three Posse's.....also I enjoy the mags. I had to use twice their road assistance service and it was ok. On the top of that is that I haven't had to spend in the membership renewal since I got extra year everytime that I purchase a bike.......I only have to pay for the "ladies of Harley" for Martha's membership......I like to be a HOG member.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »

AJ, you can pay a little extra to Road America ($25, I think??) and get the unlimited package - no limit on tows or distance to nearest Harley dealer.  Since I'm not a AAA member that's what I do.  Cheaper that the upgrade at AAA and way cheaper if you're not a AAA member at all.

BTW most insurance policies will also pay for tows - may not arrange them but will reimburse some if not all.

I had to get the "GOOD SAM" in order to be covered my toy hauler and now my vehicles and motorcycles are covered as well  :huepfenjump3:

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 04:53:28 PM »

I'm due to renew by EOM August, but I'm gonna let it lapse.  Pretty much done with HOG.  All of this began with  the screwed up paint on Thumper and the fact that the dealership from which I bought the bike (Appleton) wouldn't support me when trying to get the paint replaced.  Once the paint challenge was met (through my own efforts), Appleton still had the gall to send promotional rags to me.  I asked them to stop and further asked them how they could, in good faith, solicit my business after they kicked me to the curb over my paint.  So, they agreed to stop sending marketing materials to me, and also decided to blackball my membership and my family's membership in the local HOG chapter (Tuckessee).  That pretty much did it for me.  The local chapter refunded my dues along with Renea's and Stephanie's dues, but I never cashed the check.  It is in a scrapbook on one of the numerous curios in our house.  Can't deal with the arrogance.  I'd rather pay for my own towing vice continuing subscription to a hoity-toity "club."  Not for me.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 04:55:30 PM »

I've been in HOG since it started and was cheap to be a life member. I participate in two chapters and go on runs that interest me and my wife. We have met some great folks to ride with, but don't go to many meetings. I think one of the biggest reasons to join a local chapter is to get the discounts, but that is changing at some locations. Now some dealers are making you buy and get credit for the next purchase if done at the same location and within a year. The corporate folks a thinking too much again and about to screw up a good thing. Its a difficult program for the dealership to manage and amounts to a 10% discount anyway only with a experation date.  Doc

hogasm

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 04:55:54 PM »

I am a member of both national and local chapter for one reason..................free tire mounting at the local dealership :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Between 3 dressers we go through at least 5 new rear tires a year. So far this year we have gone through 6 rear tires and 3 fronts. At over $100 each, it is not a bad deal to spend $60 a year for that.

Had to modify this.....if the local dealership stops, so will I.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:58:37 PM by hogasm »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 05:06:59 PM »

AJ, you can pay a little extra to Road America ($25, I think??) and get the unlimited package - no limit on tows or distance to nearest Harley dealer.  Since I'm not a AAA member that's what I do.  Cheaper that the upgrade at AAA and way cheaper if you're not a AAA member at all.

BTW most insurance policies will also pay for tows - may not arrange them but will reimburse some if not all.

Jerry, I just went to the HOG site and this is what it says:
"For a minimal fee, MAXIMIZE the Roadside Assistance Program to suit your needs – by upgrading to one of the following options:

Deluxe Package (optional – only $19.95* per year)
Greatly reduce your worries with the optional Deluxe P ackage, which adds the following benefits for up to two Harley-Davidson motorcycles:

Unlimited towing to the nearest Harley-Davidson dealership. (Please note that Harley-Davidson dealerships are not open 24/7.)

"Sign and Ride" benefit (all covered towing/roadside assistance costs are covered in full).

If you are a full or full life H.O.G. member and would like to upgrade to this increased benefit level, please contact Road America to enroll. Certain restrictions and/or exclusions apply."

There is also and Ultra package which reimburses you $333 per day for travel expenses for $29.95/yr.
I think I'm going to call HOG now.
AJ

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 05:32:46 PM »

I've been a member for two years.  December 1997 through December 1998 when I bought the Fat Boy, and December 2006 through December 2007 when I bought the Millstone.  I think I still have the little atlas they sent me the first time, and I got a pin at the HOG hospitality event at the Expo in Rapid City last year.  They had popcorn.   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »

I'm due to renew by EOM August, but I'm gonna let it lapse.  Pretty much done with HOG.  All of this began with  the screwed up paint on Thumper and the fact that the dealership from which I bought the bike (Appleton) wouldn't support me when trying to get the paint replaced.  Once the paint challenge was met (through my own efforts), Appleton still had the gall to send promotional rags to me.  I asked them to stop and further asked them how they could, in good faith, solicit my business after they kicked me to the curb over my paint.  So, they agreed to stop sending marketing materials to me, and also decided to blackball my membership and my family's membership in the local HOG chapter (Tuckessee).  That pretty much did it for me.  The local chapter refunded my dues along with Renea's and Stephanie's dues, but I never cashed the check.  It is in a scrapbook on one of the numerous curios in our house.  Can't deal with the arrogance.  I'd rather pay for my own towing vice continuing subscription to a hoity-toity "club."  Not for me.
Henry, really sorry to hear about your experience with an obviously chitty dealer.  Sure you know that there is National HOG memberships and then local chapter.  The local chapter is obviously where the dealer stuck it to you.  Since local chapters must be sponsored by a dealer they can call the shots there but never before heard of such horrific treatment.  Like anything in life there are good and bad.  Perhaps the local chapter near you now would be worth a visit.  Anyway, you can join National HOG and get the roadside assistance without involving any local chapter.

Jerry

IBA member # 45520

Sean M Cary

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 05:34:13 PM »

I am a member of both national and local chapter for one reason..................free tire mounting at the local dealership :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Between 3 dressers we go through at least 5 new rear tires a year. So far this year we have gone through 6 rear tires and 3 fronts. At over $100 each, it is not a bad deal to spend $60 a year for that.

What if your a cheap bastard like me and bring a tire in with you??

Sean

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 05:35:03 PM »

Jerry, I just went to the HOG site and this is what it says:
"For a minimal fee, MAXIMIZE the Roadside Assistance Program to suit your needs – by upgrading to one of the following options:

Deluxe Package (optional – only $19.95* per year)
Greatly reduce your worries with the optional Deluxe P ackage, which adds the following benefits for up to two Harley-Davidson motorcycles:

Unlimited towing to the nearest Harley-Davidson dealership. (Please note that Harley-Davidson dealerships are not open 24/7.)

"Sign and Ride" benefit (all covered towing/roadside assistance costs are covered in full).

If you are a full or full life H.O.G. member and would like to upgrade to this increased benefit level, please contact Road America to enroll. Certain restrictions and/or exclusions apply."

There is also and Ultra package which reimburses you $333 per day for travel expenses for $29.95/yr.
I think I'm going to call HOG now.
AJ
:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 05:37:43 PM »

That's a really good benefit.  Do you have to remove the wheel from the bike and bring it in or does the dealer do the whole job gratis?

IBA member # 45520

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 05:38:06 PM »

No HOG HD discounts at our local dealers. They suck when it comes to towing. The local members are a buncha hoity-toity yuppie pukes! No HOG for me than you! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 05:46:51 PM »

What if your a cheap bastard like me and bring a tire in with you??

Sean

They take your picture, send it to Corp. Milwaukee, and write "This SOB is a Cheap Bastard" on it in big red letters.  Then they send it to every HD dealership in the world, and the 2 they have on other planets. 

Nobody does anything with the picture though so it amounts to nothing, but it's in the file, just in case.  Next to my picture, probably. 

;)

AJ - I have the $29.95 package.  Never used it, but if I had to use it once it would pay for itself.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »

Life Member!
ex:
Director x2
Asst Director x2
Road Captain / 6 years
Safety Officer
Editor
Activity Officer

Now do nothing.  period.  Chitty dealership kicked me, and I walked.  Won't be back.   >:(
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 21 queries.