Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Cheap Garmin 1450 clone ??  (Read 11932 times)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Cheap Garmin 1450 clone ??
« on: October 31, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »

I took a chance last week and ordered a 5", bluetooth, FM transmitter to car/bike radio speakers, video viewer, MP3 player...from China. I've had it for about 3 days and the dam thing works. It looks like a Garmin 1450 and has iGO 8 maps with 3D and all that stuff. Terry says to get off the computer for now, but I'll report more later. Oh, by the way, I paid 103.50 with free shipping on ebay for it.  Doc
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 01:17:01 PM by grandpadoc »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Cheap Garmin 1450 clone ??
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 11:30:19 AM »

I took a chance last week and ordered a 5", bluetooth, FM transmitter to car/bike radio speakers, video viewer, MP3 player...from China. I've had it for about 3 days and the damb thing works. It looks like a Garmin 1450 and has iGO 8 maps with 3D and all that stuff. Terry says to get off the computer for now, but I'll report more later. Oh, by the way, I paid 103.50 with free shipping on ebay for it.  Doc

Got a link to it?

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »

:worthless:
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 02:11:12 PM »

Got a link to it?

This one comes with a 2GB SD card and its already up to 1.7GB  for the program. I noticed they have a 4GB and 8GB now which would use the newer SDHC cards I would think. If you scroll around they even offer a wireless backup camera.   Doc

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-0-GPS-NAV-Bluetooth-FM-Transmitter-2GB-SD-Card-G50_W0QQitemZ220502148130QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item3356f3c422

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 02:21:41 PM »

Here is the pdf for the iGO 8 mapping system. They have everyting the Garmin has as far as I could see. I measured it with calipers and its the same size as the Garmin 1450 so I ordered a new plate for my RAM holder.

The only quirk so far is that if you have too many functions running at the same time it runs out of memory eventually. So I just run bluetooth and gps, or gps and music, but not all three. I ordered a 4GB card for more music and picture downloads. It has a video player so watching a movie or reading a book while riding is possible.  :o  Doc

http://www.navngo.com/content/language/eng/dl/UM/iGO8_UserManual_English_UK.pdf

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 04:29:36 PM »

Interesting gear.  Found their listing with BiN for about $122 and the same unit with a wireless remote camera for about $140.  Only thing I didn't find in the online listings or in the PDF you linked was any mention of an IPX or other weather tight spec.  Would be nice to know if it'd die in the rain.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »

Interesting gear.  Found their listing with BiN for about $122 and the same unit with a wireless remote camera for about $140.  Only thing I didn't find in the online listings or in the PDF you linked was any mention of an IPX or other weather tight spec.  Would be nice to know if it'd die in the rain.

The user manual doen't list a IPX spec. I was on Froogle and someone listed a waterproof case and bike mount for the Garmin 1450 though.

Doc

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »

I seriously doubt, at those prices, that the units are water resistant, let alone weather resistant and would meet IPX standards.  They'll probably work fine in a vehicle, but doubt they'll last through the first rain shower....JMO...

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 07:08:24 PM »

I seriously doubt, at those prices, that the units are water resistant, let alone weather resistant and would meet IPX standards.  They'll probably work fine in a vehicle, but doubt they'll last through the first rain shower....JMO...

Manufacturer not specifying that it is almost certainly means that it is not IPX 7 or 8.  So you'd not want to shower with this thing.  Still a dandy price if it's got any kind of a life span though.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 07:48:40 PM »

Manufacturer not specifying that it is almost certainly means that it is not IPX 7 or 8.  So you'd not want to shower with this thing.  Still a dandy price if it's got any kind of a life span though.

At the prices you quoted for all the features they have, if you got a year's use out of them, they'd be worth it.  Those are almost "throw-away" prices.

2012 FLHXSE3

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 07:48:51 PM »

In SoCal that probably wouldn't be an issue, but if you did get caught in the rain it could just go in your pocket, or like on the RG one of the fairing compartments and listen to the directions or music through the radio/speakers. The RAM Aqua cover looks like it would take care of weather though.

Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 01:37:05 AM »

At the prices you quoted for all the features they have, if you got a year's use out of them, they'd be worth it.  Those are almost "throw-away" prices.

In general I'd agree with the premise.  The downside to accepting the regularity of potential failure like that though is the damn things will die at an inoportune time.  Makes you almost have to buy two to carry the extra for redundancy.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 08:59:23 AM »

In general I'd agree with the premise.  The downside to accepting the regularity of potential failure like that though is the damn things will die at an inoportune time.  Makes you almost have to buy two to carry the extra for redundancy.

I tend to plan a trip with a pc map like Microsoft's streets and trips and print it. There you can see the two laners and what's near by easier. I can't find any pc based software for iGO8 to plan and load. The unit does have the via feature though, but I'd rather do that kind of stuff on a pc or laptop.
There is a challenge for twolane...find the pc software on a dvd for me.
Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 09:06:45 AM »

I tend to plan a trip with a pc map like Microsoft's streets and trips and print it. There you can see the two laners and what's near by easier. I can't find any pc based software for iGO8 to plan and load. The unit does have the via feature though, but I'd rather do that kind of stuff on a pc or laptop.
There is a challenge for twolane...find the pc software on a dvd for me.
Doc

Looks like iGO8 is a mobile device only platform made to run on Windows mobile.  Designe only for PDA and other portable hardware.  An admittedly quick look here also didn't fine anything to bring it in a PC.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 12:21:29 PM »

Looks like iGO8 is a mobile device only platform made to run on Windows mobile.  Designe only for PDA and other portable hardware.  An admittedly quick look here also didn't fine anything to bring it in a PC.
It must be a Garmin thing because I can't do any PC routing and downloading for my Magellan 4250.  It's a great GPS unit, but like these IGOs, what you see it what you get.

2012 FLHXSE3

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 08:51:48 PM »

It must be a Garmin thing because I can't do any PC routing and downloading for my Magellan 4250.  It's a great GPS unit, but like these IGOs, what you see it what you get.

There are some pirate sites that claim to have iGO8 to pc software downloads. Has anyone had any luck with one of these sites ?  Doc

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »

I emailed the seller about transferring the files from the 2GB card to a 4GB card, and he said it can be done. The 4GB non-HC's are hard to find but I found one on line, the SDHC's won't work on my laptop or the GPS. I was surprised with another feature last night...the screen changes automatically when it gets dark outside. I tried watching a slide show on the picture viewer while navigating and it won't let you do it, so I guess watching a movie while riding won't work either...unless you turn off the navigator. Looks like I could hand it off to Terry if she gets bored and she could play games, watch of movie, or read a ebook...but that's not why we ride. I'll probably use it mostly to play music through the radio (wireless) and use the gps occasionally to find stuff like gas stations, motels, restaurants.
I use GPS on my boat all the time, but this auto/bike stuff is new to me as you can tell. Some of the best bike trips I've ever taken involved being lost at least part of the time. The depression of slowly running out of gas, and the high of finding a open station just in time. :zstupid: The joy of being unconnected to world for hours and days at a time is the best part of the ride and now this !!  I just packed it up and put it in the closet.  :P 

Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 11:43:59 AM »

Some of the best bike trips I've ever taken involved being lost at least part of the time. The depression of slowly running out of gas, and the high of finding a open station just in time. :zstupid:

Doc

The GPS-corrolary to that is one of my favorite part of the devices Doc.  Like you my best rides have often been non-destinatory travel (read: lost so far couldn't find my zipper if I had to).  Just heading that-a-way to see what's to be found.

The down side to such activities once in awhile has been that "oh chit" moment when you wonder if you've pushed it a bit too far, don't have a clue where you are and wonder if you might literally be pushing it.  That's when I now turn on the GPS and let it help.  Nice little tool for remembering how to get back to the hotel, fuel stop or whatever.  Actually allows more unstructured travel rather than limiting it that way.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 02:32:14 PM »

According to the ebay adv you can use it next time your in Bosnia! 
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 05:00:53 PM »

According to the ebay adv you can use it next time your in Bosnia! 

...is that over by Ohio ??     

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 08:23:31 PM »

I just got the RAM cradle for the Garmin Nuvi 1490 and it fit perfect with a little trimming for the power cord. You need the power cord to transmit through the FM radio/speakers ...acts like a antenna. I've used it for a few hours now and found that MP3 with bluetooth work well together. Navigating works best when other devices are not running at the same time. So far its been a handy little gadget. Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 08:30:09 PM »

Doc, did it come with any type of auto mount or dock?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 08:47:53 PM »

Doc, did it come with any type of auto mount or dock?

It came with a adjustable mount with a suction cup and cradle. The cradle is ok for a car but probably not secure enough for a bike so I ordered just the RAM cradle from a marine supply store.  Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 11:45:32 PM »

It came with a adjustable mount with a suction cup and cradle. The cradle is ok for a car but probably not secure enough for a bike so I ordered just the RAM cradle from a marine supply store.  Doc

Thanks Lou.  My sis isn't the greatest navigator in the world and her work has her driving to and in different cities and towns with some regularity.  She might get one for Christmas.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 05:42:56 PM »

I had a chance to play with the video player all morning and found it works well when downloads are converted to the flash format and played through the radio speakers. Playing music vidios at night would probably be a cop magnet though.  Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »

I had a chance to play with the video player all morning and found it works well when downloads are converted to the flash format and played through the radio speakers. Playing music vidios at night would probably be a cop magnet though.  Doc

Had one show up on today's mail.  Took right at three weeks from Hong Kong.  Haven't opened the package yet.  Will have to play with it just a bit before Christmas so can answer all the questions my sister will have about using.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 08:57:36 PM »

Had one show up on today's mail.  Took right at three weeks from Hong Kong.  Haven't opened the package yet.  Will have to play with it just a bit before Christmas so can answer all the questions my sister will have about using.

...for music convert to mp3, for videos convert to flash. There are some good free video converters out there that work well with anything on Utube. The bluetooth and GPS work best without any other program playing. I don't know what model you got, but if its the 2GB you might want to get a 4GB non HC SD card for more music and videos. Copy the files on the 2GB card when you first play with it and transfer all of them, one at a time, onto the 4GB card and every thing will work fine.

Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »

...for music convert to mp3, for videos convert to flash. There are some good free video converters out there that work well with anything on Utube. The bluetooth and GPS work best without any other program playing. I don't know what model you got, but if its the 2GB you might want to get a 4GB non HC SD card for more music and videos. Copy the files on the 2GB card when you first play with it and transfer all of them, one at a time, onto the 4GB card and every thing will work fine.

Doc

I got the unit they described as:

5.0" GPS NAV+Bluetooth+FM Transmitter+2GB SD Card G50

So whatever is onboard nearly fills the 2 gig card?  To play with anything else you need the larger card?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 12:04:08 AM »

I got the unit they described as:

5.0" GPS NAV+Bluetooth+FM Transmitter+2GB SD Card G50

So whatever is onboard nearly fills the 2 gig card?  To play with anything else you need the larger card?

I think the 2GB card has about 200mb left on it. You could download quite a few songs and music videos on it, but a cheap 4GB non HC can of course be better. Make sure you save the files on the stock card first just in case she gets a 4GB later.
Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 12:58:45 AM »

I think the 2GB card has about 200mb left on it. You could download quite a few songs and music videos on it, but a cheap 4GB non HC can of course be better. Make sure you save the files on the stock card first just in case she gets a 4GB later.
Doc

Appreciate the heads up Doc.  Could have easily turned it on to check against DOA and wrapped it for Christmas only to later have her yank the card for more music. 

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 09:47:28 AM »

Appreciate the heads up Doc.  Could have easily turned it on to check against DOA and wrapped it for Christmas only to later have her yank the card for more music. 

I hope she enjoys using it. The other day Panhead Jimmy and I were in the hills above my house and got really lost. Some of the roads are privately built and maintained and have no names, but open to the public. I brought the GPS  along in my TP and it found us and gave a route back to a nice bar in Temecula.  :drink:   

Doc

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 03:30:32 PM »

"Really lost" doesn't quite capture the moment.  Up to that point in time I couldn't have been less interested in a GPS.  I now love the concept and will have one of my own ASAP.  That $100 knockoff made me a believer.  I can't wait to get lost....after I hook up my own, of course.
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »

"Really lost" doesn't quite capture the moment.  Up to that point in time I couldn't have been less interested in a GPS.  I now love the concept and will have one of my own ASAP.  That $100 knockoff made me a believer.  I can't wait to get lost....after I hook up my own, of course.

...what a trip that was !!  We need to go back there again and plan a route through that beautiful country for your GTG Beach run...another cheap plug for the Pacific SouthWest GTG.  ::)   Doc

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2009, 07:44:10 PM »

Until last week I didn't get into the ebook function, but I thougt I'd give it a try. I found this site to download in the .txt format http://plaintextebooks.com  and am now into my third book. I'm really liking to read without holding the book and turning pages...keeps the hands free for  :drink: most of the time. The format isn't as sexy as some but its easy to get used to and you can listen to tunes at the same time.
Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »

Until last week I didn't get into the ebook function, but I thougt I'd give it a try. I found this site to download in the .txt format http://plaintextebooks.com  and am now into my third book. I'm really liking to read without holding the book and turning pages...keeps the hands free for  :drink: most of the time. The format isn't as sexy as some but its easy to get used to and you can listen to tunes at the same time.
Doc

I've had the one that my sis will get for Christmas out a couple of times.  Just gaining enough familiarity so can answer the basics she'll ask when she gets it.  So far have very pleasantly surprised though.  Nav functions are good as is battery life.  So far so good.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2009, 09:31:34 PM »

Glad to hear it Don. I have been using the trial version of this http://www.flvsoft.com/ for a couple weeks now to copy YouTube music videos to the unit. If you don't mind a small watermark it seems that the freeware will work forever. Download the videos in flash format. The files will be in My Documents under My Videos.  There will be two files per video (original and copy) if one isn't present or one has 0 mb's it won't work, this just means the download is corrupted. Use the smaller file for best results when transfering to the unit.

Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2009, 11:00:24 PM »

Glad to hear it Don. I have been using the trial version of this http://www.flvsoft.com/ for a couple weeks now to copy YouTube music videos to the unit. If you don't mind a small watermark it seems that the freeware will work forever. Download the videos in flash format. The files will be in My Documents under My Videos.  There will be two files per video (original and copy) if one isn't present or one has 0 mb's it won't work, this just means the download is corrupted. Use the smaller file for best results when transfering to the unit.

Doc

That's a good one.  I put a 4 gig cartridge in it and can easily see my sis loading some videos to keep my niece entertained sometimes.  For the more common local travel this unit is much more a multimedia/entertainment device than it is a nav unit.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 11:23:17 PM »

Has to be made in China, I have yet to have anything made in China make it a year. Definitely a throw away, but at the price, you probably can't beat it.  I would have to guess the HD model is made there as well.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2009, 11:57:09 PM »

Has to be made in China, I have yet to have anything made in China make it a year. Definitely a throw away, but at the price, you probably can't beat it.  I would have to guess the HD model is made there as well.

The case is exactly the same as the Garmin which made it easy to get the RAM motorcycle mount. I guess time will tell but it looks like it has a good OS as long as you don't try to make too many things run together at the same time.

Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2009, 02:06:43 AM »

Doc, does this thing need a standalone POI loader?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2009, 10:37:41 AM »

Doc, does this thing need a standalone POI loader?

The POI's (Points Of Interest) are already loaded. In the system set up you can decide which ones are important or it gets real busy. Otherwise in the simple mode just hit detour and it will ask you which POI category you want to persue or add a new one or make a new catagory and list. I'm getting a current map upgrade from the dealer shorly ($6USD) and will let you know what happens.  Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2009, 10:43:39 AM »

The POI's (Points Of Interest) are already loaded. In the system set up you can decide which ones are important or it gets real busy. Otherwise in the simple mode just hit detour and it will ask you which POI category you want to persue or add a new one or make a new catagory and list. I'm getting a current map upgrade from the dealer shorly ($6USD) and will let you know what happens.  Doc

So it only uses whatever POI's are in the package originally and other data sets can not be added?  Not unexpected.  Unfortunately of the several things with the device I had played with before giving it to my sis and brother-in-law I had not looked at its POI handling.  And that, of course, was one of the first four things he asked about.

Is it a downloadable map update?  Or they mailing it over?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2009, 11:44:45 AM »

So it only uses whatever POI's are in the package originally and other data sets can not be added?  Not unexpected.  Unfortunately of the several things with the device I had played with before giving it to my sis and brother-in-law I had not looked at its POI handling.  And that, of course, was one of the first four things he asked about.

Is it a downloadable map update?  Or they mailing it over?

You can add your own POI's manually to the stuff thats already there. The only pc to gps software I've ever seen is with the Garmin and Lowrance units.  There are some pirate sites that claim to have iGo8 to pc software but I don't think I'll bother with it. So far I have been using it more for the ebooks, MP3, and video player. Terry insist I bring when we go out anymore cause we (I) get lost a easily. So I guess you can say it will do a lot of stuff a Garmin can't do, but lacks the pc hook up for the navigating software. There has been some rumors iGo will have the pc software in the near future.  Doc

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »

You can add your own POI's manually to the stuff thats already there. The only pc to gps software I've ever seen is with the Garmin and Lowrance units.  There are some pirate sites that claim to have iGo8 to pc software but I don't think I'll bother with it. So far I have been using it more for the ebooks, MP3, and video player. Terry insist I bring when we go out anymore cause we (I) get lost a easily. So I guess you can say it will do a lot of stuff a Garmin can't do, but lacks the pc hook up for the navigating software. There has been some rumors iGo will have the pc software in the near future.  Doc

...I haven't received the new navigation software yet and not sure how it will be sent. The guy who sold me the unit is very helpful but not good with english language. Doc

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 11:59:36 PM »

So you've had this unit for awhile now. I'm interested it the unit with the remote back up cam for my truck. Would make backing my little 12' V-hull down the ramp a lot easier. :)
 If you're still happy with yours I may give the other model a try.
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 12:38:17 AM »

Its been working great, but I could kick myself for not getting the combo with the camera for a few bucks more. I would highly recommend this outfit to get it from. Doc

http://stores.ebay.com/magicshop88                                         
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:44:24 AM by grandpadoc »

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 08:43:36 PM »

Glad to hear it! I may talk myself into one ... ;D
 Then I can put the zumo back on the bike full time.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2010, 01:49:46 PM »

I damaged my Cheap Garmin Clone on our cross country trip and got another one. Its been updated with new software and is easier to use with convenient apps on the start up page. Now it has Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint along with all the other stuff on a 4GB SD card. There is 2GB left for ebooks, videos, pics, music and whatever. I was a little nervous about the fitment on the previous RAM Garmin 1400 bike mount, but it works as before.
Looks like it will act as a entertainment center and professional office tool now, although I can't imagine needing it for word processing or a presentation. When I get around to it I'll hook it up to my projector and printer and see what happens. This thing is getting nuts and did I mention its also a gps. :o   Doc

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »

I got the one with the remote backup camera and has worked great!. (for my truck...not the Harley!LOL) Its not a Garmin by any stretch, but it gets the job done. Even has a few bells and whistles that my ZUMO doesn't. For the price you can't beat it..
Thanks for your review on this Doc! How would we find out about new toys if it wasn't for these forums. ;)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 05:25:47 PM »

Doc, looked at the web site you posted, which model do you have, there are some as low as $75.00 heck of a deal.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 08:00:46 PM »

Doc, looked at the web site you posted, which model do you have, there are some as low as $75.00 heck of a deal.

I just received the 5" with the 4GB SD card and I paid 87.99 plus shipping.  Doc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360314197160&viewitem=
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:05:27 PM by grandpadoc »

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 08:10:27 PM »

Thanks Doc, did you get your bike back yet?
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »

Thanks Doc, did you get your bike back yet?

It's still in Ohio waiting for parts. I'm hoping to get everyting together again sometime in December.  Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »

It's still in Ohio waiting for parts. I'm hoping to get everyting together again sometime in December.  Doc

Had missed you were rebuilding the SERG Doc.  Read of the accident.  Memory was that it was considered a total.  How totaled was it?  Frame straight?

Is it waiting for parts in Ohio only enough to make it roll and get home?  Or will the bike be repaired when it returns?  Sorry for all the questions.  Hard not to be curious about the ever fewer examples of these great old bikes.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »

I'm happy to say they are repairing it and the tech sounds like he is into CVO's so its in good hands. I had them include shipping in with the estimate cause I'm not eager to pick up the bike in December in Ohio. I got another used trailer on line from a dealer and it looks like the color will work. This is all a little scarry since its site unseen with both the bike and trailer. Doc

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2010, 09:26:23 PM »

I'm happy to say they are repairing it and the tech sounds like he is into CVO's so its in good hands. I had them include shipping in with the estimate cause I'm not eager to pick up the bike in December in Ohio. I got another used trailer on line from a dealer and it looks like the color will work. This is all a little scarry since its site unseen with both the bike and trailer. Doc

It's good news this is a resurrection.  Really good.  Will keep my finger crossed that the bike comes home in great shape.  Is the shop sending any in progress pics and what model is the new trailer?

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2010, 11:40:38 PM »

No progress pics and the trailer is the Turbo + 2 Prestige Package with the garmet bag, rack, and funky bumper with Peterson lights. I'll probably ditch the bumper and get the 00 graphics done on it. I definitly will like the bigger tires and current shocks...Bushtec doesn't supply either one of them for the older "Ultimate" series.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2010, 10:51:45 AM »

I bought the earlier version from magicshop88 that Doc had and it's worked great.  Also, magicshop88 has been great for post sale support.  I screwed up the software and he sent me software to reboot the unit.  Siince Doc posted the newer offering, I contacted magicship88 about getting the 2010 map, and he's sending it to me w/o charge.

I have the unit hardwired to my bike for both charging and AUX so I can play music on the 4GB SD card and get voice directions via the bike's sound system.  Only thing it doesn't do is provide Bluetooth sound through the sound system; at least I haven't figured out how to get it to do this.  If it did, I'd buy the BOMM and see if it will work like the BOMM does with the Zumo GPS units.

Thanks to Doc for helping me with my original purchase, mounting bracket selection, and understanding how the unit works.

For $87, the newer version is an even better bargain.

Carl 

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2010, 11:27:43 AM »

I bought the earlier version from magicshop88 that Doc had and it's worked great.  Also, magicshop88 has been great for post sale support.  I screwed up the software and he sent me software to reboot the unit.  Since Doc posted the newer offering, I contacted magicship88 about getting the 2010 map, and he's sending it to me w/o charge.

I have the unit hardwired to my bike for both charging and AUX so I can play music on the 4GB SD card and get voice directions via the bike's sound system.  Only thing it doesn't do is provide Bluetooth sound through the sound system; at least I haven't figured out how to get it to do this.  If it did, I'd buy the BOMM and see if it will work like the BOMM does with the Zumo GPS units.

Thanks to Doc for helping me with my original purchase, mounting bracket selection, and understanding how the unit works.

For $87, the newer version is an even better bargain.

Carl 

I have had the same experience with the post sale support also. I sent him a 4GB card and had him upgrade my maps on it for free. The new maps are trick with the freeway signs and buildings going by as you see them. I haven't played with my new one enough yet to see if the bluetooth will work through the speakers, but I know it only works when the navigation is off. My micrometer says it still uses the Garmin 1400 series case so I could still use my previous RAM cradle and handlebar mounting system. The new cpu is stronger and the gps start up is significantly faster than the previous model and it sells for less...go figure. Next rainy day I'll play with it some more and see what happens with the new stuff cause it doesn't come with a very good operating manual, but neither does the Garmin for that matter. Oh by the way I drove with it for several days in the rain on the coast to coast trip and covered it with a zip lock freezer bag and it worked fine, it just won't survive a 60 mph crash !!  Doc

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2010, 10:12:04 PM »

We're certainly glad you survived!
I'll have to try dropping him a note on that upgrade.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2012, 11:15:30 PM »

The seller sent me the link with the new 2011 maps and POI's. Let me know if you want me to email it to you. I would suggest using a new 4G SD card. Follow the directions...unzip to documents and load all five files to the card. You will have to reset for region, language, voices and all that stuff again and may want to get rid of the saved routes that show up.   Doc

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2012, 12:25:51 AM »

Wow. I know it is China brand. But it looks great. The HD ones are China anyways.
 Thanks for sharing and keeping up wit this for years.
 Ray
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2012, 12:02:04 AM »

i cant find the seller on ebay ??

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2012, 11:19:58 PM »

OK here is a very useful accessory to the CGC. I've used it for the past two days on the way to the Spokane GTG and it works great. It gets a  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »

glarestomper.com

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2012, 12:05:45 AM »

So Doc, does the new model play MP3s while the nav is up? I know my original one doesn't. Its what kept me from putting it on my scooter. My ZUMO is on its last legs and I'm considering getting the new 5" screen like you have. (old eyes ya know)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »

So Doc, does the new model play MP3s while the nav is up? I know my original one doesn't. Its what kept me from putting it on my scooter. My ZUMO is on its last legs and I'm considering getting the new 5" screen like you have. (old eyes ya know)

I wasn't sure till today, but rode all day with Nav and MP3 and both worked fine together. Audio directions played over the music when needed. The POI's came in handy looking for gas stations while on some looong two laners.  Doc

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »

Great! Thanks Doc. Maybe you should start get a % of the units you've sold for them. ;)

hogasm

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »

Doc could not find the unit your listed earlier. Looking for a new GPS for Kathy

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 05:46:13 PM »

This one is simular.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130694027566&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160
But keep an eye on TigerDirect. Even Wally world. They have refurbished Garmins at great prices some times.
 These knockoffs are OK...but no Garmins.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »

This one is simular.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130694027566&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160
But keep an eye on TigerDirect. Even Wally world. They have refurbished Garmins at great prices some times.
 These knockoffs are OK...but no Garmins.

Does anyone have any first hand expierence with this model?

For the price I've paid more for just the cables!
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »

I have (had) that one. Works as expected. The only thing I didn't like about it was the screen. It wasn't hard like a Garmin or the one originally posted by Doc. I have that one also. I wanted to try the larger screen. This one just seemed "cheaper?" LOL
 Once it boots up its very accurate. Just takes awhile. I've since given it to a budy of mine.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »

Again for the price.... lol  ;)
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 21 queries.