Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Prostate Cancer  (Read 7254 times)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
Prostate Cancer
« on: June 02, 2007, 07:34:02 PM »

I know it's been said many times how great this site it is, for me, it's helped me met great people from all over the world and some as close as two towns away. With that I want to give back something to our CVO family and beyond.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. At 42 I was considered pretty young to have it. I was told that had it not been found I would not have made it to see my 50th birthday.

Long story short, I had surgery and only have to keep up the now annual blood testing. The price I paid to get rid of cancer was a VERY small one. Some of you that have met me in person have asked about the yellow bracelet that I wear. It's to support cancer research, the Lance Armstrong foundation, and reminds me every day that I have been given another chance to try and get things right.

The reason I'm posting this is to let anybody that has concerns about prostate cancer or is going through it, gone through it or wants somebody to talk to about it. To PM or email me at any time. If there is somebody that you know that is a none member, doesn't matter, just help them get in touch with me.

This offer is also extended to the wives and girlfriends too, Donna helped me through my ordeal and learned a lot and will talk about how it has effected her too.

I just want to let people know that they are not alone going through this.

Thanks and Take Care,
Ed and Donna
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Prostate Cancer
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 07:39:55 PM »

Ed,
First off glad to hear you had an early diagnosis and successful treatment. :2vrolijk_21: Thanks for bringing this important subject to our attention as males we sometimes don't take care of our bodies (getting yearly physicals/exams/etc) as we should. I too wear the "Livestrong" bracelet as I've had family members succumb to cancer. It is very important to have a network of friends and family to help you thru situations like this. I pray that you continue having a clean bill of health. Livestrong!!!

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Binx

• Hoist's BSR
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 07:44:42 PM »

Ed...Congrats on beating cancer!! I, too, pray for your continued good health. Keep up the good work and positive attitude...you're an amazing guy!
wut?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 08:47:28 PM »

Ed...Congrats on beating cancer!! I, too, pray for your continued good health. Keep up the good work and positive attitude...you're an amazing guy!

Can't say it better than Binx! You'd never know you had it, and it's great you beat it! You're a really great guy Ed! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 09:07:09 PM »

I am so glad you beat that awful disease. I hate cancer. I lost my mom to cancer, she was eaten alive in less than three months.
My dad survived prostrate cancer, only to die 15 years later of hear failure (58 days after mom died).

Everyday is a gift, that is why it is called The Present.
Live well, live long, LIVESTRONG.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 06:14:29 AM »

Ed - how was it diagnosed?  I went for my MT last month to find I have a smooth enlrgedd prostrate but was told there was nothing to worry about.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 06:43:05 PM »

Ed - how was it diagnosed?  I went for my MT last month to find I have a smooth enlrgedd prostrate but was told there was nothing to worry about.

Smiler,

I had a PSA blood test, which at the time I didn't know I was having. The nurse practitioner wrote it down on the lab sheet to test my blood sample for PSA along with the normal yearly stuff, cholesterol and the like. My prostate was never enlarged, was smooth and I had no other symptoms. She explained to me that she was testing all her patients. She actually got in trouble because my insurance didn't want to pay for the test, only 42 and they start testing at 50. Afterward they wrote her a letter of apology because she ended up being right.

There are a lot of other things that can cause an enlargement but the PSA test is nothing more then a blood test. Sometimes they'll test PSA multiple times to get a base line reading as everybody can run different numbers. Other times they'll run PSA and watch the basline over the course of years.

One other thought, after (3) positive PSA tests and a positive PSA2 test I had a biopsy which also came back positive. After that I went and got a second opinion. Always worth having somebody else take a look at all the paperwork.

Hope that helps,

Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 06:45:30 PM »

Ed,
First off glad to hear you had an early diagnosis and successful treatment. :2vrolijk_21: Thanks for bringing this important subject to our attention as males we sometimes don't take care of our bodies (getting yearly physicals/exams/etc) as we should. I too wear the "Livestrong" bracelet as I've had family members succumb to cancer. It is very important to have a network of friends and family to help you thru situations like this. I pray that you continue having a clean bill of health. Livestrong!!!

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thanks Gary!

Donna and I were in Newport RI last summer and a women walking in front of us had a shirt on with the words and symbols, "F$%K Cancer!" how true is that!

Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 06:46:37 PM »

Thanks Binx and Howie! Life is good and getting better all the time.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 06:49:31 PM »

I am so glad you beat that awful disease. I hate cancer. I lost my mom to cancer, she was eaten alive in less than three months.
My dad survived prostrate cancer, only to die 15 years later of hear failure (58 days after mom died).

Everyday is a gift, that is why it is called The Present.
Live well, live long, LIVESTRONG.

Mark

Thanks Mark,
So sorry to hear about your Mom and Dad. There has been a lot of it in my family too and everywhere. Hopefully someday they'll find a cure.

Everyday is a gift to be sure!

Thanks,
Ed

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 06:52:18 PM »

Smiler, Ed and I have been chatting about this a bit in PMs.  We were both caught early (chronologically and pathologically).  I was 40. 

That PSA test can be literally a lifesaver.  In my case I'd noticed I wasn't sleeping through the night without having to get up and wizz.  That hadn't been an issue before.  Went to the doc, he pulled on the rubber glove and said "hmmmm."  Tests to confirm and, sure enough, positive at 40.

Gents, Ed is absolutely right.  Medical standard of care is 50-ish.  But sometimes it happens sooner.  If your insurance won't cover a test's cost in the lab or your doc thinks it's too early to worry about it don't hesitate to do something yourself.  You can do it cheaply and completely discretely.  There are home PSA tests now.  Buy them at the pharmacy, get a couple drops of blood out of your finger and mail the whole thing off somewhere.  A couple weeks later you've got a number.

If it's low.  Great.  You weren't worrying anyway.  You were just being careful.  If it's not low then visit your doc and ask him/her to check a little more.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 06:55:37 PM »

Smiler, Ed and I have been chatting about this a bit in PMs.  We were both caught early (chronologically and pathologically).  I was 40. 

That PSA test can be literally a lifesaver.  In my case I'd noticed I wasn't sleeping through the night without having to get up and wizz.  That hadn't been an issue before.  Went to the doc, he pulled on the rubber glove and said "hmmmm."  Tests to confirm and, sure enough, positive at 40.

Gents, Ed is absolutely right.  Medical standard of care is 50-ish.  But sometimes it happens sooner.  If your insurance won't cover a test's cost in the lab or your doc thinks it's too early to worry about it don't hesitate to do something yourself.  You can do it cheaply and completely discretely.  There are home PSA tests now.  Buy them at the pharmacy, get a couple drops of blood out of your finger and mail the whole thing off somewhere.  A couple weeks later you've got a number.

If it's low.  Great.  You weren't worrying anyway.  You were just being careful.  If it's not low then visit your doc and ask him/her to check a little more.

Hey Don,

Thanks for jumping in!

Ed :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 07:00:38 PM »

Hey Don,

Thanks for jumping in!

Seems like my sneakers are always wet from finding a puddle somewhere....

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 07:04:17 PM »

Seems like my sneakers are always wet from finding a puddle somewhere....

As long as it's only water you're stepping in... ;)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 07:05:58 PM »

As long as it's only water you're stepping in... ;)
LOL!!! We were thinking the same thing. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 10:02:55 PM »

Ed, First, Brother I think it is 100% AWESOME that you kicked cancer in the backside.  No pun intended.  Congratulations.  You are to be commended for fighting it, never giving up and winning the war.  My hat's off to you.
Second, I think it is an absolutely wonderful thing that you are doing by offering up your support not only to the members of this site, but also others who may not be members that members of this site know.   That is such a wonderful gift.  You're a good man.  I wish you the very best blessings and continued good health. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 11:36:24 PM »

Smiler,

I had a PSA blood test, which at the time I didn't know I was having. The nurse practitioner wrote it down on the lab sheet to test my blood sample for PSA along with the normal yearly stuff, cholesterol and the like. My prostate was never enlarged, was smooth and I had no other symptoms. She explained to me that she was testing all her patients. She actually got in trouble because my insurance didn't want to pay for the test, only 42 and they start testing at 50. Afterward they wrote her a letter of apology because she ended up being right.

There are a lot of other things that can cause an enlargement but the PSA test is nothing more then a blood test. Sometimes they'll test PSA multiple times to get a base line reading as everybody can run different numbers. Other times they'll run PSA and watch the basline over the course of years.

One other thought, after (3) positive PSA tests and a positive PSA2 test I had a biopsy which also came back positive. After that I went and got a second opinion. Always worth having somebody else take a look at all the paperwork.

Hope that helps,

Ed

Ed,

Your story is much like mine - at age 48 as part of a regular physical - I had a PSA test that came back elevated.  Long story short - I had a biopsy that came back positive.  I am currently being treated for Prostrate Cancer with radioactive seeds - 86 radioactive seeds implanted thru 25 needles.  So far, so good.  My PSA level has steadily dropped and is now less then 1.  The only side effect is fatigue from the radiation.  EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE REGULAR (YEARLY), THOROUGH PHYSICALS!!!

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 02:50:58 PM »

Cheers fellas,
Through my job I go for an MOT every 2 years my last one was in April and it did worry me at the time.  So thanks for sharing.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 03:08:53 PM »

Ed,

Your story is much like mine - at age 48 as part of a regular physical - I had a PSA test that came back elevated.  Long story short - I had a biopsy that came back positive.  I am currently being treated for Prostrate Cancer with radioactive seeds - 86 radioactive seeds implanted thru 25 needles.  So far, so good.  My PSA level has steadily dropped and is now less then 1.  The only side effect is fatigue from the radiation.  EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE REGULAR (YEARLY), THOROUGH PHYSICALS!!!

Scott

Hey Scott, I wish you a full recovery from the Evil C! Glad you caught it early. My thoughts are with you brother! Feel better Scott! Our body's are more prone to failures than these new 110" engines! Stay strong! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »

Ed, First, Brother I think it is 100% AWESOME that you kicked cancer in the backside.  No pun intended.  Congratulations.  You are to be commended for fighting it, never giving up and winning the war.  My hat's off to you.
Second, I think it is an absolutely wonderful thing that you are doing by offering up your support not only to the members of this site, but also others who may not be members that members of this site know.   That is such a wonderful gift.  You're a good man.  I wish you the very best blessings and continued good health. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Henry,
Thanks for the support. As I said what I went there was pretty minor to get rid of the "C" compared to so many others. I'm glad I have the chance to raise awareness even a small way.

Thanks again,
Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 05:13:07 PM »

Ed,

Scott

Scott,
So glad to here they found the problem early and are attacking it hard. Best of luck with the treatment. Thoughts and prayers are with you. That's awesome that your numbers are now so low! :2vrolijk_21:

Ed :pepper:

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 05:13:55 PM »

Hey Scott, I wish you a full recovery from the Evil C! Glad you caught it early. My thoughts are with you brother! Feel better Scott! Our body's are more prone to failures than these new 110" engines! Stay strong! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 05:16:05 PM »

Cheers fellas,
Through my job I go for an MOT every 2 years my last one was in April and it did worry me at the time.  So thanks for sharing.

Anytime Smiler, you know how to reach us!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »

Special Ed - glad you beat it!  Twolane gives great advice on this one as well - get checked.  Best of luck and prayers for Sandunbar. 

Cancer is not always a good conversation stater.  Had a different type a few years back - all clear now - have seen more than a few folks flummoxed by the topic of cancer. 

See your doc - get checked - being informed is the key to living long.  Lance Armstrong did a heckuva lot for this subject. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 05:57:57 PM »

Special Ed - glad you beat it!  Twolane gives great advice on this one as well - get checked.  Best of luck and prayers for Sandunbar. 

Cancer is not always a good conversation stater.  Had a different type a few years back - all clear now - have seen more than a few folks flummoxed by the topic of cancer. 

See your doc - get checked - being informed is the key to living long.  Lance Armstrong did a heckuva lot for this subject. 

Well said Mike. Glad you won your fight too.

I agree with your opinion, cancer is a tough conversation topic but it is one that needs to be out there and kicked around, a lot.

Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 09:30:42 AM »

Thought I'd bring this back up. There has been talk about various cancer walks this month. The kids and I will be walking on Sunday. Just want to throw my offer back out there for anybody that may want information or just want to talk, just shoot me a PM.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 09:33:59 AM by Special_Ed »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 09:51:38 AM »

Thought I'd bring this back up. There has been talk about various cancer walks this month. The kids and I will be walking on Sunday. Just want to throw my offer back out there for anybody that may want information or just want to talk, just shoot me a PM.

Ed,

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I missed it the first time around. And to all of you that have been stricken and have beat it successfully, cheers to you and congratulations.

As many of you know, Pinkie is a 3 year survivor of breast cancer as of this past July. It was a very scary time for both of us and has opened our eyes to a subject that isn't easily discussed.

Now that we've gotten involved with the Breast Cancer walks, the subject of healthy breasts is a good subject. Y'all should see my new helmet I got just for the upcoming walks. I'm sure it's going to be a big hit. Oh, that rhymes with ... and that's cool.

:indian_chief:

SE05

• Senior CVO Member
  • aka - Mrs. SBB
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 10:14:55 AM »

Y'all should see my new helmet I got just for the upcoming walks. I'm sure it's going to be a big hit.

:worthless:

(P.S. - It was great meeting you and Mrs. Chief!  Wait ... that doesn't rhyme with Kansas!)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 10:37:12 AM »

I was on vacation when this thread came up the first time.

It has been said here and elsewhere, you MUST, we  stay on top of this constantly.

My wife Cindy is a survivor although we don't look at it in the same light as many who have had a much tougher fight than she did.  She caught it at her first mammogram.  She was a "zero" but had it not been caught we know where it could have ended up.

With minor surgery and radiation she has been cancer free now for two years and the prognosis is excellant.

Interesting that this thread would come up today as we spoke yesterday of two of her co-workers who were diagnosed recently.  One is 40 and will need massive surgery for breast cancer and the other is 32 years old and has stage four cancer, they still don't have it nailed down, but her prognosis is not good.

I'm sure I could go on with the many friends and relatives affected by cancer as many of us can. 

Get your annual tests and don't let them slide. 

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 12:49:28 PM »

I was on vacation when this thread came up the first time.

It has been said here and elsewhere, you MUST, we  stay on top of this constantly.

My wife Cindy is a survivor although we don't look at it in the same light as many who have had a much tougher fight than she did.  She caught it at her first mammogram.  She was a "zero" but had it not been caught we know where it could have ended up.

With minor surgery and radiation she has been cancer free now for two years and the prognosis is excellant.

Interesting that this thread would come up today as we spoke yesterday of two of her co-workers who were diagnosed recently.  One is 40 and will need massive surgery for breast cancer and the other is 32 years old and has stage four cancer, they still don't have it nailed down, but her prognosis is not good.

I'm sure I could go on with the many friends and relatives affected by cancer as many of us can. 

Get your annual tests and don't let them slide. 

Agreed, Rog...in addition, some cancers do not present themselves in a way that is easily detectable.  Pay attention to what comes out of your body!!!  Had I not noticed two VERY small specs of red clotted material in my urine, I would NEVER had known I had a bladder tumor (they are ALL malignant).  I caught it early, had it removed immediately, and after 2 years all is still well.

Please don't ignore what you're body is trying to tell you, and get your check-ups!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 01:11:45 PM »

I too missed this thread the first time around so thanks for resurrecting it.  Every day is truly a gift and in spite of all the difficulties these blasted infernal machines of our cause us those are NOTHING compared to our health.  Cherish it.  Safeguard it.  Take care of yourself.    :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 03:34:09 PM »

Congrats to all that have beat or are beating that ugly "C".  A good friend of mine was diagnosed with prostate cancer, had his prostate removed and had treatments and is now living a good life.  Two years cancer-free.   My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago and she beat that one through early detection.  Two years cancer free for her too.  You never think it can happen to you until someone close gets it...then it makes you realize how vulnerable you really are.  I get mine checked (blood work included) annually during my physical.  It's worth it no matter how much it costs.

Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 03:39:50 PM »

:worthless:

(P.S. - It was great meeting you and Mrs. Chief!  Wait ... that doesn't rhyme with Kansas!)

I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures on the walk. I think they'll either love it or hate it. I offered it to AJ and he wouldn't wear it, regardless of how much I urged him to.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 04:25:59 PM »

Ed,
Thanks for sharing your story and I appreciate the way you have offered to talk with others.

I too am a cancer survivor.....21 years now - PTL!  I was diagnosed with malignant lymphoma (Hodgkins) when I was 26 years old.  After test, biopsies, surgeries, and treatments (about six months in all) >> I have been healthy ever since.

I am now 47 years old and may very well be the healthiest 47 year old that you could ever meet.  As Ed and others have said, EARLY DETECTION is key!  Pay attention to things that change and go get them checked-out by your doc.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2007, 07:32:42 AM »

Thanks.. and very glad you're a survivor.

This is something that takes far too many men.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

pumkinownerswife

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2007, 07:12:27 AM »

Ed, I too missed this thread when you posted it I am truly happy for your early diagnosis! You might know that I am a Registered Ultrasound Technologist my first ten years was in urology. I assisted the doctor in the transrectal ultrasound and biopsy and then the treatment using the ultrasound machine the placement of the seeds. I saw a lot of men that were young and surprised but it truly is more common than most men want to believe. I think that it was said to be genetic but now I work for the VA Hospital and I see lots of Veterans and they have it and are actually being compensated for it so I guess it has something to do with Agent Orange. I now perform all types of ultrasound and see more cancer but I feel good in the fact I help make a early diagnosis. I just this week registered in Breast Ultrasound we see such subtle changes in the shades of gray but it can make a big difference if we can find them. I didn't mean to ramble I just am very passionate about what I do. I am very happy to see that the men on this site seem to have a handle on there health and mental state it is very good to talk to others that are going through the same thing.  And I want to say I hope each and everyone has a full recovery.

Helen

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 11:34:06 AM »

The "Walk for a Cure" in central Massachusetts was Sunday afternoon. We had a beautiful day for it.

It was a really good experience for my girls. It was a long and hot 5 miles and the pace is fairly brisk. I pushed them along and they felt as though they had achieved something when they finished.

I wanted them to get a sense of giving for someone else and I think they did. Everybody had their custom printed shirts showing the names of loved ones who have passed from cancer, others supporting family members that are in the fight, cancer survivors and others just there to help. People pushing wheel chairs and strollers, elementary and high school cheerleaders cheering the crowd at the start and finish.

I wish I were better able to put into words how it feels. To better emphasize the happiness and strength of the crowds there and the heart felt weight for those who couldn't be. The lonely moments when you slip into your own thoughts.

A collection of all walks of life, no ethic lines drawn, a common fight. It truly brings out the best of what people can be.

According to the MC there were 10,000 walkers when we got there and another 3 to 4K looking for parking. It's great to see such turnout, such support.

Thanks for letting me share a few thoughts with everybody.

Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 11:36:06 AM »

Congrats to all that have beat or are beating that ugly "C".  A good friend of mine was diagnosed with prostate cancer, had his prostate removed and had treatments and is now living a good life.  Two years cancer-free.   My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago and she beat that one through early detection.  Two years cancer free for her too.  You never think it can happen to you until someone close gets it...then it makes you realize how vulnerable you really are.  I get mine checked (blood work included) annually during my physical.  It's worth it no matter how much it costs.

Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

Red,
So glad to hear the good news about your friend and Mom. My Mother is a 17 year survivor herself.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 11:37:10 AM »

Ed,
Thanks for sharing your story and I appreciate the way you have offered to talk with others.

I too am a cancer survivor.....21 years now - PTL!  I was diagnosed with malignant lymphoma (Hodgkins) when I was 26 years old.  After test, biopsies, surgeries, and treatments (about six months in all) >> I have been healthy ever since.

I am now 47 years old and may very well be the healthiest 47 year old that you could ever meet.  As Ed and others have said, EARLY DETECTION is key!  Pay attention to things that change and go get them checked-out by your doc.

LRebel,

21 Years!! Thats awesome!!

Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 11:38:24 AM »

Thanks.. and very glad you're a survivor.

This is something that takes far too many men.

I agree, thanks Nidan!

Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 11:40:40 AM »

Ed, I too missed this thread when you posted it I am truly happy for your early diagnosis! You might know that I am a Registered Ultrasound Technologist my first ten years was in urology. I assisted the doctor in the transrectal ultrasound and biopsy and then the treatment using the ultrasound machine the placement of the seeds. I saw a lot of men that were young and surprised but it truly is more common than most men want to believe. I think that it was said to be genetic but now I work for the VA Hospital and I see lots of Veterans and they have it and are actually being compensated for it so I guess it has something to do with Agent Orange. I now perform all types of ultrasound and see more cancer but I feel good in the fact I help make a early diagnosis. I just this week registered in Breast Ultrasound we see such subtle changes in the shades of gray but it can make a big difference if we can find them. I didn't mean to ramble I just am very passionate about what I do. I am very happy to see that the men on this site seem to have a handle on there health and mental state it is very good to talk to others that are going through the same thing.  And I want to say I hope each and everyone has a full recovery.

Helen

Helen,
Not rambling at all. It's great to hear you're passionate about your work and helping others with early detection too. :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks,
Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2007, 11:42:42 AM »

Thanks to all for keeping this post going.  :2vrolijk_21:

As I've said before, my offer is always open, PM me if you need to talk.

Ed

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2007, 11:52:07 AM »

The "Walk for a Cure" in central Massachusetts was Sunday afternoon. We had a beautiful day for it.

It was a really good experience for my girls. It was a long and hot 5 miles and the pace is fairly brisk. I pushed them along and they felt as though they had achieved something when they finished.

I wanted them to get a sense of giving for someone else and I think they did. Everybody had their custom printed shirts showing the names of loved ones who have passed from cancer, others supporting family members that are in the fight, cancer survivors and others just there to help. People pushing wheel chairs and strollers, elementary and high school cheerleaders cheering the crowd at the start and finish.

I wish I were better able to put into words how it feels. To better emphasize the happiness and strength of the crowds there and the heart felt weight for those who couldn't be. The lonely moments when you slip into your own thoughts.

A collection of all walks of life, no ethic lines drawn, a common fight. It truly brings out the best of what people can be.

According to the MC there were 10,000 walkers when we got there and another 3 to 4K looking for parking. It's great to see such turnout, such support.

Thanks for letting me share a few thoughts with everybody.

Ed

Ed, I know how you feel. The walks are very motivating, and so hard to describe in words. Congrats to you and your girls for being a part of something so wonderful.

Our season of walks kicks off this weekend with the Atlanta 2-Day Breast Cancer walk, 30 miles in all. Two weeks later is the Atlanta 3-Day (60 miles) and then the next weekend I'm doing the Tampa 3-Day, 60 miles again. I'm not walking, but am part of the Route Safety (Moto) Crew.

Starting this Saturday at the Omni hotel in downtown Atlanta, 'Chief' and 'Pinkie'

will be out in public once again.

If you can make it out to any of the events, please do come and find me. Really, it ain't that hard.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 12:03:02 PM »

Chief, congrats to you and Pinkie for all of the work you guys do! Can't make it down this year but if I were, I agree, I don't think I would have a problem picking you out of the crowd. ;)

Take care,
Ed

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2007, 12:41:51 PM »

Chief, we were expecting to see you special "Fight Breat Cancer" Helmet, not you Indian Headress! ::)

Hoist! 8)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2007, 12:48:09 PM »

Chief, we were expecting to see you special "Fight Breat Cancer" Helmet, not you Indian Headress! ::)

Hoist! 8)

AJ saw it. For some reason he wouldn't wear it to dinner. He mumbled something about not wanting to look like a boob. I couldn't understand what he was talking about, but then again, he IS from South Carolina.  :D

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2007, 12:51:50 PM »

Chief, congrats to you and Pinkie for all of the work you guys do! Can't make it down this year but if I were, I agree, I don't think I would have a problem picking you out of the crowd. ;)

Take care,
Ed

Ed,

It's so funny that what I do, the Moto Crew, doesn't seem like work. Sure, I'm TOTALLY wiped out afterwards, but talk about being on a 'high' for three whole days.

The walkers have it tough, we've got the easy gig!  ;D

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 12:55:40 PM by Chief »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2007, 08:34:59 AM »

Great that you could do the motorcrew thing again.  I did it once, the most heart touching effort I have ever participated in.  In fact, you have reminded me to check into this for next year.  It is a great three days helping the walkers cross intersections safely. 

Did I miss the thread with the pic of the boob helmet? 

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2007, 08:39:49 AM »

Great that you could do the motorcrew thing again.  I did it once, the most heart touching effort I have ever participated in.  In fact, you have reminded me to check into this for next year.  It is a great three days helping the walkers cross intersections safely. 

Did I miss the thread with the pic of the boob helmet? 

Not yet. I'm waiting for the event to show my boob.   :D

I did get my new safety vest in the mail yesterday. I got one that says 'CHIEF' front and back.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
Prostate Cancer.
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 10:31:08 AM »

This is a re-re-post of a thread from several years ago. I wanted to bump it again as it's been way too long that I made this offer. Being now 6 years out I thought I'd post my offer again as there are a lot of new members. Please use my e-mail  edw_baird@yahoo.com if I miss getting back to you from the site.

Ed

I know it's been said many times how great this site is, for me, it's helped me meet great people from all over the world and some as close as two towns away. With that I want to give back something to our CVO family and beyond.

Six years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. At 42 I was considered pretty young to have it. I was told that had it not been found I would not have made it to see my 50th birthday.

Long story short, I had surgery and only have to keep up the now annual blood testing. The price I paid to get rid of cancer was a VERY small one. Some of you that have met me in person have asked about the yellow bracelet that I wear. It's to support cancer research, the Lance Armstrong foundation, and reminds me every day that I have been given another chance to try and get things right.

The reason I'm posting this is to let anybody that has concerns about prostate cancer or is going through it, gone through it or wants somebody to talk to about it. To PM or email me at any time. If there is somebody that you know that is a none member, doesn't matter, just help them get in touch with me.

This offer is also extended to the wives and girlfriends too, Donna helped me through my ordeal and learned a lot and will talk about how it has effected her too.

Thanks and Take Care,
Ed and Donna
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:31:41 PM by Special_Ed »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

Re: Prostate Cancer.
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2008, 10:40:55 AM »

This is a re-post of a thread from last year. On my way in to work this morning there was an article on the radio about prostate cancer. Being now 2-1/2 years out I thought I'd post my offer again as there are a lot of new members.

Ed

I know it's been said many times how great this site is, for me, it's helped me meet great people from all over the world and some as close as two towns away. With that I want to give back something to our CVO family and beyond.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. At 42 I was considered pretty young to have it. I was told that had it not been found I would not have made it to see my 50th birthday.

Thanks and Take Care,
Ed and Donna

I am now 1 1/2 years out from my prostate cancer - I was age 47 when diagonsed during a normal routine yearly physical.  I was early enough that I did not require surgery - I had 88 radioactive seeds inserted into the prostate.  (I will spare everyone the details of how that takes place  :-X)  The result of the treatment has been very good.  I am currently at the stage of being tested every 6 months.  So far my results have been excellent...

My story continues a bit - when I was diagnosed, I mentioned it to the CFO of our company at lunch one day.  He also was 47.  He went and had a physical - and also was diagonosed with prostate cancer.  His was a bit more advanced, so he opted for surgery.  His surgery was successful, and he also is at the 6 month testing interval.

He and I are both very lucky that my family doctor was so thorough in my yearly physical exam...

I am also available to anyone who would like to contact me about my experience or anyone who would like to discuss their experience.
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2008, 10:48:42 AM »

You two guy's are great . This is a subject that no one wants to talk about but knowing others have made it through and is willing to talk about it is truly helpful. :2vrolijk_21:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Firechief2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCU3
    • Calgary Red Knights
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 11:14:32 AM »

I don't know whether you have this ride in your area.  http://www.motorcycleridefordad.org/
Two years ago we started the Calgary chapter of the ride with great success. It is a subject that needs to be brought to the attention of all.
Roy J
Past President Calgary Red Knights
Deputy Chief (retired) SFD

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »

I don't know whether you have this ride in your area.  http://www.motorcycleridefordad.org/
Two years ago we started the Calgary chapter of the ride with great success. It is a subject that needs to be brought to the attention of all.
This is awesome, thanks so much for posting this.  Next time we drive North, we check and see if there is a ride going on.  I have not heard this going on in our local area at all. 

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2008, 11:19:13 AM »

Didn't know about it either, Thanks for posting it!

Ed

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2008, 11:24:23 AM »

We have that ride up in my area in Ontario Canada. I go if I am in town. One of my best friends passed away before his 50th birthday from prostate cancer.Said physicals were a waste of time & hadn't had one until it was too far advanced.  Tell that to his two kids that aren't teenagers yet. GET CHECKED. 
The Muffman

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2008, 11:31:52 AM »

Wow Ed and Scott, hats off to you two. It is OUTSTANDING that you guys step up like this in support of those with cancer. For that there's a cold one or two on me  :2vrolijk_21:

Great goin' guys.

Howie

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2008, 11:55:48 AM »

I just had my yearly physical the Wed before the Adirondack trip, bloodwork the whole 9 yards. When the doctor asked me about checking the prostate I just cringed. Having just turned fifty I knew this would be part of it. I'ts just something we have to do if we want to live a healthy and stay alive. My brother had colon cancer 13 yrs ago, he's cancer free still today. So that is something else to keep an eye on once you turn 50. I'm glad your healthy there Special Fuzz I mean Ed.
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »

I just had my yearly physical the Wed before the Adirondack trip, bloodwork the whole 9 yards. When the doctor asked me about checking the prostate I just cringed. Having just turned fifty I knew this would be part of it. I'ts just something we have to do if we want to live a healthy and stay alive. My brother had colon cancer 13 yrs ago, he's cancer free still today. So that is something else to keep an eye on once you turn 50. I'm glad your healthy there Special Fuzz I mean Ed.

As important as the "cringe exam" is a PSA blood test.  I passed the "cringe test" with flying colors, but failed the PSA test, which led to a biopsy and so on.... ;)
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »

Thanks for the posts and updates. I lost my father, 51, and his father, 73, to prostate cancer. I get my tests annually and so far so good. I am glad you are doing fine now and are here for those of us who may need you!

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2008, 01:17:47 PM »

As important as the "cringe exam" is a PSA blood test.  I passed the "cringe test" with flying colors, but failed the PSA test, which led to a biopsy and so on.... ;)

Same for me...

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »

Same for me...
Perhaps you could expand on the PSA test for some. I believe it's important to get one early on to have a baseline to guage future tests on. Am I correct on this?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »

Perhaps you could expand on the PSA test for some. I believe it's important to get one early on to have a baseline to guage future tests on. Am I correct on this?

Yes, that is correct.  Also, there can be reasons other then prostate cancer that cause abnormal PSA readings.  It is just one of several indicators.  When I initially received an abnormal PSA result, my doctor sent me to a urologist, who told me a biopsy was the next step, but not to worry because at my age, the PSA result was likely caused by other factors - such as calcium buildup.  My family doctor had told me the same thing.  He said truck drivers frequently have high PSA numbers that are not cancer related because of the amount of sitting they do.  For those who have high PSA readings, but don't have cancer, it is important to have a base line - in case later in life they develop prostate cancer.

Your raise a good point!
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2008, 03:59:54 PM »

Yes, that is correct.  Also, there can be reasons other then prostate cancer that cause abnormal PSA readings.  It is just one of several indicators.  When I initially received an abnormal PSA result, my doctor sent me to a urologist, who told me a biopsy was the next step, but not to worry because at my age, the PSA result was likely caused by other factors - such as calcium buildup.  My family doctor had told me the same thing.  He said truck drivers frequently have high PSA numbers that are not cancer related because of the amount of sitting they do.  For those who have high PSA readings, but don't have cancer, it is important to have a base line - in case later in life they develop prostate cancer.

Your raise a good point!

Excellent point and the blood test is by far the easiest part, well worth having a baseline established. Because of my age at the time. The insurance didn't want to pay for the test, guys are not normally tested till 50. I'm glad the nurse partitioner went ahead and checked off the right box on the lab sheet. Saved my life.

Ed

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »

Its important to be on the alert for all cancers. A lot of them have no symtoms until its spread and then your in deep guano. I was having my prostate and psa checked yearly only to find out that i had stage 4 thyroid cancer that had spread to most of the lymph nodes in the chest and neck. I had never had it checked. 13 hours of surgery and treatment with I-131 radioactive iodine and im in pretty good condition for the condition im in. Now we do lots of tests every few months and stay aware of that or any other possible recurense. I think most of these types of ca are inherited so if mom and dad have something be on the lookout- :bananarock:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:39:04 PM by VANAMAL »

Hotrodstitcher

• Senior CVO Member
    • Sid Chavers Company
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »

I'm going to turn 55 this month and five years ago I went for all the tests they want you to have at 50. I'm sure glad I did, it turn out I had a high PSA number for my age. I was sent to a Urologist and had a biopsy and they found cancer. I had the surgery and have no problems. This September I will have my semi annual six month  PSA test and that will be five years for me. For those of you that don't no at five years they consider you "cured". Of course no one knows for sure but it works for me. Like a lot have mention before, it's just a blood test. Go do it, I even tell my much younger friends to have it checked, it's to easy and it may save your life. There is also another good event in So-Cal called cruising for a cure, it's a Hot Rod event.  http://www.cruisinforacure.com/  I'm here for anyone also...Sid

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2008, 04:54:16 PM »

I'm going to turn 55 this month and five years ago I went for all the tests they want you to have at 50. I'm sure glad I did, it turn out I had a high PSA number for my age. I was sent to a Urologist and had a biopsy and they found cancer. I had the surgery and have no problems. This September I will have my semi annual six month  PSA test and that will be five years for me. For those of you that don't no at five years they consider you "cured". Of course no one knows for sure but it works for me. Like a lot have mention before, it's just a blood test. Go do it, I even tell my much younger friends to have it checked, it's to easy and it may save your life. There is also another good event in So-Cal called cruising for a cure, it's a Hot Rod event.  http://www.cruisinforacure.com/  I'm here for anyone also...Sid

That's awesome!!! 5 Years is the big number! Congrats!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »

You guys ROCK!  No one likes the Digital Rectal Exam (DRE).  It's more analog than digital (reference to finger or "digit") but it should be used in conjunction with the PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) test (Invented by Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY!).  Admit it guys, no one likes growing older but accepting responsibility for your health is the best thing you can ever do for your families.  We've all been to funerals of friends and family members and thought, "what a shame, he was so young, his poor kids...."

I guarantee both Ed and Scott were asymptomatic.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2008, 05:27:04 PM »

Well I for one am happy that you 2 have staved off the big C. I at my last physical a few months back was asked by my doctor if I had a problem with the prostate exam. He said it is not a normal practice at my age(38) but better safe than sorry. So I went ahead with it, it was brief but alls good. I guess knowing is better than not so do what you can to help yourself and ultimately your family from the grief of cancer. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2008, 05:35:27 PM »

You guys ROCK!  No one likes the Digital Rectal Exam (DRE).  It's more analog than digital (reference to finger or "digit") but it should be used in conjunction with the PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) test (Invented by Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY!).  Admit it guys, no one likes growing older but accepting responsibility for your health is the best thing you can ever do for your families.  We've all been to funerals of friends and family members and thought, "what a shame, he was so young, his poor kids...."

absolutely correct, in my case...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »

Same for me too, I'm glad Donna pushed me to go.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
Prostate Cancer.
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »

This is a re-post of a thread from 2 years ago. On my way in to work this morning there was an article on the radio about prostate cancer. Being now 3 years out I thought I'd post my offer again as there are a lot of new members.

Ed

Thanks and Take Care,
Ed and Donna

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2009, 07:33:31 PM »

Ed, you're a good guy for bringing this up again. Nice to know you're there if we ever need you. Roger

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »

Thanks Ed. You are a true gentleman and friend.  :2vrolijk_21: How about a  drink in Naples next time your down.

Dave

09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »

Being a graduate of Prostate Cancer survivor school myself, at age 48, I thank you - Special Ed - for posting this reminder to all!!   :2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »

No problem at all. Offer is always open, I know you guys would help me out if I needed it.  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Guys!
Ed

PS. Dave, next time I'll plan a little better and take you up on that drink!

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2009, 06:38:35 PM »

Ed my brother was just diagnosed and had it removed. They told him it had gone to his limphnodes  and that they would have to wait to do anything until he was healed. He seems to be clamming up and not wanting to talk any suggestions .
 I don't want to pry but I'm worried he's not being proactive.. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 06:42:37 PM by BIGDOG »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2009, 12:38:41 PM »

Thanks Ed, with all the discussion pro and con on the PSA competancy now, this is timely.

Rog

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2009, 04:52:22 PM »

Ed my brother was just diagnosed and had it removed. They told him it had gone to his limphnodes  and that they would have to wait to do anything until he was healed. He seems to be clamming up and not wanting to talk any suggestions .

You have a PM! (now you have 2)

Ed

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 05:17:30 PM by Special_Ed »

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2009, 05:05:57 PM »

Thanks Ed, with all the discussion pro and con on the PSA competancy now, this is timely.

Rog

Thanks Roger!

There has been a lot of talk about the PSA test with test results shows many false positives. I had (2) standard PSA tests and a PSA-2 test before biopsy. Even with the false positives I think, and again just my opinion, it's at very least a good place to set a base line. 

Listened to Don Imus the other morning talking about his prostate cancer and I wish he would be a little more realistic about it. I like the idea he's drawing attention to it but he belittles it and all cancers. The last thing I would want is for him to make guys more afraid of it. It needs to be talked about but in a way that will promote prevention and testing with some compassion and respect for those who have it and those that might.

Ed

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »

Please pass on my numbers to your brother if you think it would help.
Ed

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2009, 05:08:52 PM »

Hi Ed.......long time no speak. Good to see you offering some sage advice and a shoulder to lean on. Nothing is as hard as seeing someone go through this kind of heartbreak and it is a great boost to know that others are there to share your burden.

Here's to you and yours.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »

Thanks so much for the info. I will try to direct him to Fred Hutch. Again Thank You very much.

Luigi

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2009, 07:59:52 AM »

I AM ONE YEAR OUT, CELEBRATE EVERYDAY I GET TO RIDE. TEST EVERY YEAR, IT SAVED MY LIFE . WITH ROBOTIC SURGERY, I RODE A 5000 MILE TRIP TWO MONTHS LATER.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2009, 08:01:18 AM »

I AM ONE YEAR OUT, CELEBRATE EVERYDAY I GET TO RIDE. TEST EVERY YEAR, IT SAVED MY LIFE . WITH ROBOTIC SURGERY, I RODE A 5000 MILE TRIP TWO MONTHS LATER.

Awesome! Congrats Luigi! :2vrolijk_21:

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2009, 08:02:03 PM »

One more bump for now. ;)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »

This is a re-re-post of a thread from several years ago. I wanted to bump it again as it's been way too long that I made this offer. Being now 6 years out I thought I'd post my offer again as there are a lot of new members. Please use my e-mail  edw_baird@yahoo.com if I miss getting back to you from the site.

Ed

Six years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. At 42 I was considered pretty young to have it. I was told that had it not been found I would not have made it to see my 50th birthday.

Thanks and Take Care,
Ed and Donna

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »

:-\
While mine was not protate cancer......but bladder cancer back in the mid '80s,  I can relate to the tests and most of it.   I had trouble peeing in my mid 40's and an old Urologist thought I had a "congested" prostate..........a couple of trips to him didn't get me any better.  Got refered to a new Urologist who found blood in the urine and a subsequent set of xrays with dye......showed a bladder tumor. :(

Had surgery to remove the tumor and had a recurrence (common) about 6 months later.........Never had to take any chemo or anything else.  Developed an enlarged prostate a few yrs later..........also common for many.  Take pills for that to allow good flow..........(Flowmax) and later on had to add Avodart (which is supposed to shrink the prostate)..........Now I take Jayln (which combines flomax and avodart) into one pill.

All this meant I had to get annual checks..........not fun as the Doc. goes in with his TV camera and looks around :'(  Not fun at all..........but just had it done yesterday and it's now 26 years later and I'm 70 and bladder checks out A-OK.............All is good. :cherry:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 21 queries.