Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Removal of Tour Pak  (Read 15279 times)

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
Removal of Tour Pak
« on: December 17, 2007, 07:40:55 PM »

OK folks sorry if I did this before but I am going to make my 2007 SEUC Tour Pak detachable. I know a few of you folks have done this so I need to know what ya did with the AMP and how you mounted it and where? Pictures would be great and when I do mine I will take before, during and after pictures for those who wish to follow.

Any other problems you can help me avoid would be great and how do you like it without the TP? Kind of like a Street Glide on roids? When you put TP on is there any noise from not being directly attached? How did ya manage the wiring (Speakers) and auto locks? I don't want to give up my CB or any radio functions so what did ya do with those antennas? Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

Dave :nixweiss:

daytime email is: david.chester@susquehanna.net
Thanks

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Removal of Tour Pak
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 07:50:24 PM »

OK folks sorry if I did this before but I am going to make my 2007 SEUC Tour Pak detachable. I know a few of you folks have done this so I need to know what ya did with the AMP and how you mounted it and where? Pictures would be great and when I do mine I will take before, during and after pictures for those who wish to follow.

Any other problems you can help me avoid would be great and how do you like it without the TP? Kind of like a Street Glide on roids? When you put TP on is there any noise from not being directly attached? How did ya manage the wiring (Speakers) and auto locks? I don't want to give up my CB or any radio functions so what did ya do with those antennas? Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

Dave :nixweiss:

daytime email is: david.chester@susquehanna.net
Thanks

Please don't do as HogBreath did and cut a hole in your saddle bag. :huepfenlol2:

Talk to Jim (HD Dude) about a HawgWired system.

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 05:21:21 AM »

Thanks, I agree no holes.... Yo Jim any help?
Dave

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:25:01 AM »

If you search the site, there are plenty of threads discussing the steps to detatching the TP. As a side note, the amp is not required to play the radio. If it is removed, you will have the standard audio system which ain't too shabby. I removed the amp when I removed the TP and haven't missed it. You can save yourself a lot of money and time by simply removing the amp and going without it. Upgrading the stock speakers will do a lot to improve the stock audio system. Later, if you feel you need to take the audio system up a couple of notches, then the Hawg-Wired set up can be added.

:indian_chief:

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 09:04:01 AM »

Thanks so much. I will try the search. How do you like it with the TP off?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 09:08:30 AM »

Love it. It's like having two bikes for the price of 1.5.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon

rmarion

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 08:38:52 PM »

All the help you need....i'll PM you my number.

A couple of threads:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14463.15

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11955.0

07 Hawg Wired With Detach TP - But First ??

Has anyone made the 06 tour pack detachable

More $$$

NO MORE CARGO PACK !! 

KAZ

HD-Dude is THE MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He'll get you everything you need and walk you thru it!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy, Good Luck and YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2006 FLHTCUSE - Candy/Black
SERT
SEAC
Branch Head Work
BP 595 cam gear drive
2:1 RB Racing Black Hole
Hawgwired Speakers & Amps
Rock & Roll Paint
Danny Grey Seat

rmarion

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 08:40:23 PM »

Love it. It's like having two bikes for the price of 1.5.

Chief, thats funny right thur..............
2006 FLHTCUSE - Candy/Black
SERT
SEAC
Branch Head Work
BP 595 cam gear drive
2:1 RB Racing Black Hole
Hawgwired Speakers & Amps
Rock & Roll Paint
Danny Grey Seat

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 02:07:44 AM »

All the help you need....i'll PM you my number.

A couple of threads:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=14463.15

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=11955.0

07 Hawg Wired With Detach TP - But First ??

Has anyone made the 06 tour pack detachable

More $$$

NO MORE CARGO PACK !! 

Jim,
I'm considering the HW setup you've been talking to others about, but I'd like your help to determine what I need.

I have an 07 CUSE2 and just finished making my tourpak removable.  I'd like to install an HW amp, speakers and internal antenna.

First, I'd like to get your recommendations and prices for components to just run 2 speakers in the fairing, but allow me to later add 2 more speakers in the lower glove boxes.

Is the PSC3004 what I need, or is the PSC3002 best for my needs?

I've seen you recommend the CX series speakers to replace the stock fairing speakers.  Looks like these would work with either amp, right?  Which speaker would you then recommend for the lower glove boxes, to match the chosen amp?

What antenna would you recommend for hiding inside the fairing?
Is HW Model GBV525 the kit I would use to mount speakers in my lower glove boxes?

I know you're busy with your new shop, and I'm sure everyone's taking advantage of the downtime, so feel free to take your time getting back to me.

Thanks.
Charles...

2007 Smurf SEUC, Birthdate 9/11/06

Proud to be an American Infidel!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 09:37:08 AM »

Jim,
I'm considering the HW setup you've been talking to others about, but I'd like your help to determine what I need.

I have an 07 CUSE2 and just finished making my tourpak removable.  I'd like to install an HW amp, speakers and internal antenna.

First, I'd like to get your recommendations and prices for components to just run 2 speakers in the fairing, but allow me to later add 2 more speakers in the lower glove boxes.

Is the PSC3004 what I need, or is the PSC3002 best for my needs?

I've seen you recommend the CX series speakers to replace the stock fairing speakers.  Looks like these would work with either amp, right?  Which speaker would you then recommend for the lower glove boxes, to match the chosen amp?

What antenna would you recommend for hiding inside the fairing?
Is HW Model GBV525 the kit I would use to mount speakers in my lower glove boxes?

I know you're busy with your new shop, and I'm sure everyone's taking advantage of the downtime, so feel free to take your time getting back to me.

Thanks.
Charles...

Charles;

You are correct on the amp part numbers. If you go with the 2 channel amp (PSC-1502 $599.95) now you will not be able to add speakers to the lowers later. You can either get the 4 channel amp (PSC-3004 $999.95) now and only use 2 channels or you can get  a 2 channel upgradable (PSC-3002 $749.95) and add the satelite amps (PSA-150 $349.95) when you are ready to expand. If you go with the expandable version and get the satelite amps later it ends up costing you a about a hundred bucks more. If you think you will be doing the lowers or want 4-channel capability then its best just to get the 4-channel kit now. The speakers I would use for the lowers and fairing are the CX series ($229.95 pr.) or the BT series for the tour pack pods ($109.95 pr.) The GBV525 adapters are correct for your lowers. For the internal antenna there are many options, Tune trapper, etc.. It seems with these that the results have been anywhere from no difference to stock to they all suck.

Prices above are retail and as always there is 10% off for the site. I hope this answers your questions.

Jim

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 06:35:13 PM »

Charles;

You are correct on the amp part numbers. If you go with the 2 channel amp (PSC-1502 $599.95) now you will not be able to add speakers to the lowers later. You can either get the 4 channel amp (PSC-3004 $999.95) now and only use 2 channels or you can get  a 2 channel upgradable (PSC-3002 $749.95) and add the satelite amps (PSA-150 $349.95) when you are ready to expand. If you go with the expandable version and get the satelite amps later it ends up costing you a about a hundred bucks more. If you think you will be doing the lowers or want 4-channel capability then its best just to get the 4-channel kit now. The speakers I would use for the lowers and fairing are the CX series ($229.95 pr.) or the BT series for the tour pack pods ($109.95 pr.) The GBV525 adapters are correct for your lowers. For the internal antenna there are many options, Tune trapper, etc.. It seems with these that the results have been anywhere from no difference to stock to they all suck.

Prices above are retail and as always there is 10% off for the site. I hope this answers your questions.

Jim

Jim,
Thanks.  I'm clear on the parts now.  What material are the speakers and cones made of?  How well have they been standing up to weather and weekly washings?  I'm impressed with what I read about the HW amps--not much info on the speakers.

When I'm ready to order, can you ship using US Mail?  I'll need to get this to my Military APO AP address (it's a CA zip code, and I normally have stuff sent here using USPS).

Open question to all who've done this upgrade--which hidden antenna have you found to be at least as good as the original?  I know I've read about different models on this site--J&M sticks in my head.

Thanks.
Charles...

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 08:59:26 PM »

Jim,
Thanks.  I'm clear on the parts now.  What material are the speakers and cones made of?  How well have they been standing up to weather and weekly washings?  I'm impressed with what I read about the HW amps--not much info on the speakers.

When I'm ready to order, can you ship using US Mail?  I'll need to get this to my Military APO AP address (it's a CA zip code, and I normally have stuff sent here using USPS).

Open question to all who've done this upgrade--which hidden antenna have you found to be at least as good as the original?  I know I've read about different models on this site--J&M sticks in my head.

Thanks.
Charles...

Charles;
The speaker cones are a poly material and are COMPLETELY sealed from the voice coil. There is no way any moisture can get behind and damage the speaker. I have had them in my own bike in the fairing and the lowers for about 2 years now. Several others as well.

No problem on the US mail shipping.

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 09:04:34 PM »

Charles;
The speaker cones are a poly material and are COMPLETELY sealed from the voice coil. There is no way any moisture can get behind and damage the speaker. I have had them in my own bike in the fairing and the lowers for about 2 years now. Several others as well.

No problem on the US mail shipping.

Thanks again, Jim...  I'll place my order through you as soon as I'm able.

Merry Christmas.
Charles...

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 10:30:28 PM »

I noticed a big change in the balance of the bike, especially a low speeds. Not having a heavy tour pak behind you is definitely a plus. I also agree with Chief as far as eliminating the amp. I've never missed mine for a second.
We will be remembered for all the rules we break.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 10:49:46 PM »

I already know how Chief is going to answer this question but for anyone else: How can one remove the TP and retain the CB? I don't really need the amp and don't have room for the HawgWired in the fairing because of the BlueTooth module being inside.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 07:42:06 AM »

I already know how Chief is going to answer this question but for anyone else: How can one remove the TP and retain the CB? I don't really need the amp and don't have room for the HawgWired in the fairing because of the BlueTooth module being inside.

The problem with keeping the CB without the TP is the big load coil that is buried down in the corner of the TP. It needs to remain a part of the installation. If you can find something to do with that, then I think the rest of the job should be pretty easy.

How'd I do?

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 09:10:18 AM »

HD has two CB antennas you can use, 76340-98 (Road Glide) and 76415-06 (Street Glide), moves the antenna to the back, opposite side of the radio antenna. 

Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • One Day At A Time
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 11:28:59 AM »

Hi, Decided on Hawg Wired products for my conversion. Bought from HD-Dude. Great sound. I went with a powered hidden antenna inside front fairing. My thinking was that I would only need CB when on a trip and I would probably have the tour pack on and Cb hooked up. I also decided to eliminate stock license plate bar and go with the HD Street Glide turn signal bar using the Kuryakyn curved license plate frame. The only goog thing about having 12 inches of snow on the ground is that it gives me several months to spend more $$$. Good luck.

Jim
SE A/f
SE Mufflers
SE Race Tuner

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 05:01:15 AM »

I noticed a big change in the balance of the bike, especially a low speeds. Not having a heavy tour pak behind you is definitely a plus. I also agree with Chief as far as eliminating the amp. I've never missed mine for a second.

Hey BobD...  Are you saying you still had sound from the front two speakers, after you removed the amp and rear two speakers?  I don't get sound, unless my amp is connected.  What did I miss?  I'm going with the HW setup, eventually--but until then, I'd like to have the option.
Thanks.
Charles...

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2007, 05:51:04 AM »

I second that ;D

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2007, 09:02:25 AM »

Hey BobD...  Are you saying you still had sound from the front two speakers, after you removed the amp and rear two speakers?  I don't get sound, unless my amp is connected.  What did I miss?  I'm going with the HW setup, eventually--but until then, I'd like to have the option.
Thanks.
Charles...

Charles,

If the amp is removed, the harness needs to be removed also to use the front speakers. It is an all-or-nothing proposition. The harness for the amp connects between the radio and the front speakers. When the amp is removed, the circuit is no longer complete. If the harness is removed and the speakers are connected in std, read non-CVO, fashion, the front speakers work fine.

Pbody

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2007, 05:02:30 AM »

Charles,

If the amp is removed, the harness needs to be removed also to use the front speakers. It is an all-or-nothing proposition. The harness for the amp connects between the radio and the front speakers. When the amp is removed, the circuit is no longer complete. If the harness is removed and the speakers are connected in std, read non-CVO, fashion, the front speakers work fine.

Ohhhhh....  Thanks Chief.  Ya, I left the harness in place--not sure why at this point.  I did disconnect the cable at the radio, just to test this theory, and no change.  There must be something more involved in the harness, so tomorrow I'll do the job the right way and completely remove it.

Thanks. 

Merry Christmas!
Charles...

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2007, 11:44:52 AM »

Dear Mr Mod - can we make this topic a sticky? I'll probably be doin' this to the '08 next winter & it'll make it much easier to find when i do - thx in advance.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 22 queries.