Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Request some photos  (Read 1723 times)

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
Request some photos
« on: March 31, 2009, 10:39:33 PM »

Looking for some help.

Next time you have the seat off your SEUC with the detachable tour back, would you please take some photos of the wiring and connectors?

I want to detach my tour pack but the local dealers are talking some $1500+ to mod the wiring and parts.  I may do it myself but I have never seen a modified bike.  If you have a detachable tour pack on your SE, I would like to see pics of what the teminals/connections/final product looks like.  I am assuming the connectors are Deutsch connectors.  One of the things I want to learn is how many connectors there are and how to best bundle the wires in the connectors, i.e. several large vs many small connnecters.

Appreciate any pics and help you can offer.  Thanks.

Road Hog

Thanks.
FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.

stonecoldhd

• 2008 FLHTCUSE3
Re: Request some photos
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:14:35 PM »

There are some others wtih detachable tour paks on the site.  Search for detachable tour pak and you should find some pics of the finished products.  Also check out hawg wired.  I just finished mine, no pics yet, but I just unplug the wiring from the back speaker pods, pull the wires out and you'll find the connectors.  Pull the liner from the tour pak and unplug the rest.  I just coil the wires up under the seat so I can reinstall the detachable tour pak and hook everything back up.

I pulled the factory amp and harness and put in the Hawg Wired 4 channel system under the front fairing.  This is a bit pricey but works great!  Put a hidden antenna under the front fairing, but use XM most of the time.  Just put on the Firestick no ground plane antenna on the rear luggage rack bracket, but waiting for the right CB connectors I found on ebay cheap.

Takes a little work, but looks slick.  Handles a ton better too without all that weight up high in the back, and the extra weight.  Figure to spend about $1500+ with the relocated amp.

Thre may be some out there that have added special connectors within the wiring harness for an easier quick disconnect, but I haven't tried that yet.  I think you can buy the connectors and pins separately and make your own quick connect system.

Go for it, hope this helps. 

Stonecold
'08 FLHTCUSE3"Coppertop"

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:12:02 AM »

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 02:02:01 PM »

I just finished mine, there is still a fairly good sized amount of wires when coiled under seat, am working on doing quick disconnects for the Tpack wiring under the seat.
Working up an order today from these folks for deutsch connectors:
http://www.deutschconnector.com/products/deutsch_dtm_2-way_connectors.html

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

Tom149

• 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate, 107CI
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate
    • CVO2: Non-CVO 98' Fatboy 95th Anniversary Edition - Wife's Ride
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »

Tom

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 03:31:50 PM »

Thanks folks for your pics but I have seen many pics of SE bikes without tour packs already.  That is my goal.

To get there via the pics I want are pics of the wires under the seats and their terminals.  Here is what I am trying to get a handle on.  As one gentleman reported, he uses many of the disconnects already in the tour pack and in the speakers and pulls all the wires back to coil under the seat.  Then when reinstalling the toup pack, he runs all those wires back into the tour pack and speaker cabinets.  Seems difficult and time consuming.  Is that what is going on in general with this effort here or are folks cutting the wires en masse under the seat and connecting it all back with deutsch connectors or other terminals under the seat with no rethreading of wires into packs and cabs?

Is that clear?

Maybe a phone number from someone who has experience in this and I can just call and discuss the details with them.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:42:34 PM by Road Hog »

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 03:51:06 PM »

not to mention that the se bikes have the amplifier mounted to the tour pak

so.... you have to remove the amp AND all the wires for the amp all the way to the front speakers in the fairing

AND then you can work on either coiling up the wires or making plugs

its a LOT of wire

one ray of hope is the 06 and newer sidecars - the sound control wire for both switches is a total of TWO wires. so all the data for both right and left controls are fed through two wires..... total for control and speakers is 6 wires....

to the tour pak there are 12... & 8 to the handle bars

someday the tour pak will have only 6 and 2 for the handlebars.

to

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »

I did remove the amp from tour pack and overlay harness and converted to the Hawg Wired, the link I gave in my post above was for a supplier of connectors. I am doing  plug under seat so when the tourpack comes off I don't have to disconnect indivual clips but just undo one plug under seat plus speaker wires seems cleanest way to go to me.
I am trying to find a way to do intercom with plug under seat too.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 11:48:51 PM »

so.... you have to remove the amp AND all the wires for the amp all the way to the front speakers in the fairing

I don't want to use the Hawg Wired amp, just the amp in the radio. so why do I need to remove the amp harness completely?  Can't I just disconnect at each end, hook up the front speakers to the radio?

I assuming removing the amp harness, because there are other wires in the cable, I would have to cut the sheath and separate the amp wires from the tour pack lighting wires, etc. . .  Is that right?

I did talk with a HD service tech today and he said that it takes only several larger connectors rather a bunch of small ones.  That is encouraging.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:54:29 PM by Road Hog »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 12:28:36 AM »

I don't want to use the Hawg Wired amp, just the amp in the radio. so why do I need to remove the amp harness completely?  Can't I just disconnect at each end, hook up the front speakers to the radio?

I assuming removing the amp harness, because there are other wires in the cable, I would have to cut the sheath and separate the amp wires from the tour pack lighting wires, etc. . .  Is that right?

I did talk with a HD service tech today and he said that it takes only several larger connectors rather a bunch of small ones.  That is encouraging.

You MUST remove the amp AND overlay harness for the radio to function without the tourpack and amp installed, unless you want to remove your outer fairing each time.

There is no other cables in the harness that you will need to worry about. It is dedicated to the amp add. It is typically not even run under the tank but over the top of it under the tank canopy.

Its easiest to visualize it like this: HD took a standard Ultra and added the amp and overlay harness on top of it. They interupt the signal at each of the four speakers and route them in the overlay harness back to the amp to be amplified. The amplified signals are then sent back to the speakers. If you unplg the amp the system will not work as the circuits to the speakers will be "open". The overlay is and add-on harness and is easiliy removed.
As far as the disconnect and adding connectors it is really only a 5 minute (if that)  job to detach the tour pack when the amp is removed.

I hope this helps, if not I will PM you my number...I have done dozens of these.

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 11:19:33 PM »

Thanks, hd-dude, for the clear and encouraging replay.  I PM'd you a response.

Road Hog

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 22 queries.