Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Has the CVO Moniker lost it's Luster?  (Read 12475 times)

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Has the CVO Moniker lost it's Luster?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 04:17:39 PM »

My sentiments exactly. Who ever said CVO stood for "limited" production or "collectible"? When I bought my CUSE I saw it as a factory assembly of various performance and appearance options all tied to a production chassis. I did the math and knew that if individually purchased, the various motor and chrome upgrades would total far more than the dealers asking price for the CVO. In my mind, that justified my decision to buy my CUSE rather than a Street glide to which I would have undertaken similar upgrades at greater expense. No one at the dealership ever lead me to believe CVO meant more resale value, limited production numbers or any other traits attributed to "special productions models".
If I were the MOCO, I'd build as many high option machines as their channel partners (dealers) can sell. Higher optioned machines mean higher margins which will translate into a stronger SVA (Stockholder Value Added) factor. That means Wall Street is happy and they have the capital to build motorcycles for another year.
That's my opinion and I encourage you to differ.  [smiley=soapbox.gif]

Well it don't take a rocket scientist  to figure out WHO has stock in HD !!

Bama
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 04:43:31 PM »

from the 2001 PR for the SERK

Harley-Davidson's CVO program, which created the enormously successful Custom FXR line and the Screamin' Eagle Road Glide, was established in order to test Harley-Davidson's ability to produce highly customized and accessorized, [highlight]low-volume[/highlight], niche motorcycles. The overwhelming success of these elite custom lines has proven that Harley-Davidson's CVO program is second to none.

guess they forgot about that part of the plan
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

RedFXR2

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 05:14:49 PM »

Harley-Davidson's CVO program, which created the enormously successful Custom FXR line and the Screamin' Eagle Road Glide, was established in order to test Harley-Davidson's ability to produce highly customized and accessorized, [highlight]low-volume[/highlight], niche motorcycles. The overwhelming success of these elite custom lines has proven that Harley-Davidson's CVO program is second to none.

I would also say they forgot the "highly customized part":  I mean really, the only thing custom at all is the paint.  They got the "accessorized" part right.  Niche?  Nope.  Not now.  Too many examples.

But the part about "overwhelming success" really tells the whole story.  Again, I don't blame them--theirs is a for-profit business.  Why shouldn't they make as many as they can of what sells?  This is what made them forget about the "low volume" part.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 05:23:00 PM »

......guess they forgot about that part of the plan
Probably got hidden under all the paper? You know the "McKinley's, Franklin's, Grant's, and Jackson's", other wise known as "Dead Presidents" on our currency. ::)

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 05:32:04 PM »

I guess the question begs to be asked....how many Ultras, EG's, etc were built and sold in any given year when there was a CVO version of that model, and what percentage of those totals were CVO bikes.  Then come up with your own definition of what low production numbers mean...5%, 10%, etc % of total model sales?  It's all relative....most motorcycle manufacturers would be tickled to death to sell 4500 of ANY model in ANY given year, much less that many 30+ thousand dollar bikes.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 06:19:12 PM »

My sentiments exactly. Who ever said CVO stood for "limited" production or "collectible"? When I bought my CUSE I saw it as a factory assembly of various performance and appearance options all tied to a production chassis. I did the math and knew that if individually purchased, the various motor and chrome upgrades would total far more than the dealers asking price for the CVO. In my mind, that justified my decision to buy my CUSE rather than a Street glide to which I would have undertaken similar upgrades at greater expense. No one at the dealership ever lead me to believe CVO meant more resale value, limited production numbers or any other traits attributed to "special productions models".
If I were the MOCO, I'd build as many high option machines as their channel partners (dealers) can sell. Higher optioned machines mean higher margins which will translate into a stronger SVA (Stockholder Value Added) factor. That means Wall Street is happy and they have the capital to build motorcycles for another year.
That's my opinion and I encourage you to differ.  [smiley=soapbox.gif]

I AGREE

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 07:38:40 PM »

I could not have said better WFP. I think the paint/graphics on the ultras look like chit [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

BobD

• Senior CVO Member
  • '06 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 08:11:26 PM »

When did they ever say it was to be low volume? I never read that. I was never told that they just wanted to make a few of them. Truth is they wanted to test the waters and see what the limits were. They wanted to see what people would be willing to pay for premium "dressed" motorcycles. Well guess what? The demand has grown every year and they have responded to that demand with increased production like any good business would do. To my knowledge, they've never as a company had to discount CVO's to move them.
As far as the '07's and criticism of the paint, who amongst us has laid eyes on one in person? I remember the first SERG and SEEG pictures I saw were less than positive first impressions but I've grown to love and appreciate them both. Give the '07's a chance. Don't pass judgment until you see them. I would estimate no less than 20% of us will own one by years end.
  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 08:12:44 PM by ezrider4 »
We will be remembered for all the rules we break.

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 09:49:22 PM »

One advantage to consider about the CVO's is that they don't depreciate as much as a non-CVO. Retail, wholesale, and trade-in book values are determined on a percentage of the original MSPR, (you lose your a#$ on add-on items, chrome, bigger motor etc.) I asked the dealer today what my 99 Roadking classic is worth and I almost fainted when he told me 11-12k. I said what about the 12k of extras I have on her (just spent 2K last month on add-ons). He said it didnt matter because banks are going to only loan so much money to a buyer on book value which is based on original MSRP. A CVO already comes pretty well loaded w/ a sh!+ load of extras (sure, we all are going to change a few things on our CVO). Let's say you want to build your own "CVO-clone" ultra. So you shell out 20-22 K for the basic ultra off the show room floor. Then you add the big engine, all the chrome, custom paint, gps, etc., etc. In two or three years you go to sell it, it is still just an ultra and unless you can find someone with cash who wants it real bad, the dealer (who is taking your trade) &/or bank (who is financing the bike for your buyer) will base its value on the MSRP of a plain stock ultra less depreciation. They could care less about the $17k+ in parts and God-only knows  how much in labor you spent to install all those goodies to get your bike to be the "CVO-clone " that meets your custom taste. So you just took a real big hit or you pretty much have to hang on to the bike from now on. The CVO factory models have a high MSRP so all of the factory supplied add-ons dont take that big hit. Of course if  you go out and spend 5-10k in extras on the CVO then you will take a big hit on your add-on just like everybody else.So for the money, a stock CVO ultra at MSRP of $33495 holds its value much better in relation to a regular ultra which someone has spent a total of $33495 on the stock bike plus add-ons. Yeah, they may not be as exclusive as they once were, but dollar for dollar, you cant beat the value and resale of a CVO. Seems like I read somewhere that if you went out and bought a stock ultra and added the same goodies to make it look just like the CVO ultra, then you would have about $50k total invested in bike, parts, and labor. I would much rather pay the $34K for the CVO to begin with and not lose my a$$ when I go to sale or trade it in if a few years. Just a thought.
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 09:56:05 PM »

Well most likely you can remove most of the add ons without hurting the value of the 99 and put them on a new bike or put them on Ebay and sell them seperatly ...then sell your 99 for 12 ... with the CVO if you take off the stock chrome it would really hurt the value of the bike ..

Bama
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 06:59:34 AM by BamaHarleyDude »
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 10:13:42 PM »

Well most likelt you can remove most of the add ons without hurting the value of the 99 and put them on a new bike or put them on Ebay and sell them seperatly ...then sell your 99 for 12 ... with the CVO id you take off the stock chrome it would really hurt the value of the bike ..

Bama
Yea, but if you did like I said and bought a stock ultra and did all the upgrades as I mentioned to make it like a CVO, when you sell it you might could remove some of the chrome parts, but the major things like motor upgrade, custom paint etc. would be impossible or cost prohibitive to return to stock . The point I was trying to make is that even though a CVO ultra at $33k sounds like a lot of money, you couldnt come close to customizing a stock bike and end up with a "CVO" for anywher close to $33k and even if you could, later when you sell it, it won't be worth near as much as the factory built CVO.  As far as my Road King goes, I threw away all my stock parts because they were just cluttering my garage.

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 10:47:42 PM »

I have owned three CVO's (Black and Orange, Dark Teal and Light Teal --> and now my best combination with the new Stereo, NAV, XM-Radio, etc. my 2006 CVO).

CVO for me is getting everything I want (103 motor, paint kit, hydralic clutch, rims and chrome) for less money than if I did it  myself.

Even if I were to purchase a "Paint Kit" for my CVO it still comes out cheaper than if one where to get the same options.

[smiley=drink.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 11:19:31 PM »

Exactly what I've been trying to say,John, CVO is the best bike for the $$.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 11:22:44 PM »

I agree with those that state the CVO is the best deal for the money if you want lots of upgrades compaired to a standard version and that a CVO holds it's value at trade-in time in general.
What gets me about CVOs is that in my mind I feel a CVO should be the top of the line version with all of the options and the most limited paint sets. In other words it should be the most unique and show off everything in the P&A book for that paticular model. The MOCO should develop the policy for CVOs "When in doubt,chrome it out!" Why is it that if we get the top of the line bike we still have to change things out to get the chrome version?" I know it's cost cutting but at the factory level the parts can't be that much more? Things like the radio , it has lots of neat features but if you want it all you have to buy extra modules for about $500 a pop and pay labor to get it? I know 2007 has the navagation as standard.
If they did it this way with nothing you could possibly add to it then the CVOs could hold it's luster even if the MOCO decided to let customers special order the bikes their way.
There has been talk before about the stockpile of bikes in the past and it affecting profits. I would think a special order program could help control inventory and maybe even prevent large stockpiles of bikes or unwanted parts?
Think about it, if the dealers weren't so busy doing upgrades and swaping parts maybe it wouldn't take so long to get an appointment for regular service or fix a breakdown? 8-)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 11:31:55 PM »

I have owned three CVO's (Black and Orange, Dark Teal and Light Teal --> and now my best combination with the new Stereo, NAV, XM-Radio, etc. my 2006 CVO).

[highlight]CVO for me is getting everything I want (103 motor, paint kit, hydralic clutch, rims and chrome) for less money than if I did it  myself.[/highlight]

Even if I were to purchase a "Paint Kit" for my CVO it still comes out cheaper than if one where to get the same options.

[smiley=drink.gif]
John,

That is exactly why I bought my SEEG, especially the factory assembled 103 versus having someone tear into an 88 and build it to the power level I felt was needed for a touring bike.  The rims and hydraulic clutch were a bonus, and even though all the extra chrome wasn't one of my normal "wants", I've grown to appreciate that as well.  The paint was the least important item to me (I've stated before that I would just as soon have a solid black paint job).  Exclusivity didn't enter into the equation, nor did resale value since I usually keep a bike at least 5 years.  I just wish the quality level had been even half as good as my regular production '99 Dyna.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Page created in 0.702 seconds with 21 queries.