Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Has the CVO Moniker lost it's Luster?  (Read 12509 times)

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Has the CVO Moniker lost it's Luster?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 11:37:54 PM »

I agree with those that state the CVO is the best deal for the money if you want lots of upgrades compaired to a standard version and that a CVO holds it's value at trade-in time in general.
What gets me about CVOs is that in my mind I feel a CVO should be the top of the line version with all of the options and the most limited paint sets. In other words it should be the most unique and show off everything in the P&A book for that paticular model. The MOCO should develop the policy for CVOs "When in doubt,chrome it out!" Why is it that if we get the top of the line bike we still have to change things out to get the chrome version?" I know it's cost cutting but at the factory level the parts can't be that much more? Things like the radio , it has lots of neat features but if you want it all you have to buy extra modules for about $500 a pop and pay labor to get it? I know 2007 has the navagation as standard.
If they did it this way with nothing you could possibly add to it then the CVOs could hold it's luster even if the MOCO decided to let customers special order the bikes their way.
There has been talk before about the stockpile of bikes in the past and it affecting profits. I would think a special order program could help control inventory and maybe even prevent large stockpiles of bikes or unwanted parts?
Think about it, if the dealers weren't so busy doing upgrades and swaping parts maybe it wouldn't take so long to get an appointment for regular service or fix a breakdown? 8-)
No matter what HD puts on the CVO, just remember you can't please everybody. If they went w/ the nostalgic chrome theme then the next guy is going to like the ironside chrome theme better. One guy might like the chrome 5 spoke wheels, while the next perfers the 9 spoke etc. It is a matter of personal taste, especially w/ paint.
As far as a custom order program from harley, I don't think you will see it as it probably wouldn't be profitable enough to them. Its a lot easier to produce 4000 bikes just alike in 3 different color schemes than for every custom bike differently. Can you imagine all the different custom combinations possible if you could just go thru the parts/access catalog and check off your perferences and have the MoCo build your bike? I bet they couldn't (wouldn't) do it for anywhere near $33k. Just look at how many drink combinations Sonic advertises-- something like 168,000 some odd different drink combos possible-- I think this would be a nightmare for harley.
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2006, 04:26:25 AM »

My only objection about 2007s is about paints they got.They should have gone with more radical paint job at least like 2006 se fatboys have.I also would like to point out the painted frames on cvos.Its not only chrome and larger displacement motor but iF you want to build your own cvo you gotta paint the frame as well.That should add a lot of money on top of the cost.My favorite CVO this year is tangerine springer it looks flashy as a cvo bike should.I dont like the springer front tough.Some 1200-1300 bikes from each color combo lets say a production run every 5 years for a year for a specific model isnt over production in my opinion.This is the total production for the entire world.So if you consider the entire population the chances that the guy next door having one is very slim.CVOs take all the hassle of ordering parts and motor upgrades and cuts the labor costs.Thats a plus.So i want harley to continue CVO line and if i would buy another one yes unless they come up with nicer painjobs.
Ridin Legend

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2006, 11:19:59 AM »

The SEEGs and the Ultras do NOT (Sadly) have painted to match frames!  My Deuce and the SEFBs, yes, they did as well as the 03 SERK...I believe.

Having a frame colormatched to a bike is a very big expense after the fact...but it is only a blip for the factory if they do it up front...IMHO, this should have been done on them all.

/Bill

Poll Results so far:
Yes    14 (36.8%)
No    17 (44.7%)
undecided    7 (18.4%)

My only objection about 2007s is about paints they got.They should have gone with more radical paint job at least like 2006 se fatboys have.I also would like to [highlight]point out the painted frames on cvos.Its not only chrome and larger displacement motor but iF you want to build your own cvo you gotta paint the frame as well[/highlight].That should add a lot of money on top of the cost.My favorite CVO this year is tangerine springer it looks flashy as a cvo bike should.I dont like the springer front tough.Some 1200-1300 bikes from each color combo lets say a production run every 5 years for a year for a specific model isnt over production in my opinion.This is the total production for the entire world.So if you consider the entire population the chances that the guy next door having one is very slim.CVOs take all the hassle of ordering parts and motor upgrades and cuts the labor costs.Thats a plus.So i want harley to continue CVO line and if i would buy another one yes unless they come up with nicer painjobs.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 11:20:42 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2006, 12:39:26 PM »

Here's a case and point.  I've got a 2005 SEEG and with the goodies and etc. I got when I picked it up,  it was just over $35K.  A buddy of mine just bought a 2006 Ultra (not CVO), and buy the time he got it out the door,  he too was just over $35K (BTW,  this does not include any motor upgrades).  I had his bike on my lift last weekend,  and looked at the difference and there is no comparison what so ever.  Not just because I happen to love my bike,  but all the SE "touches that they put on our bikes makes the whole package.  I think it really boils down to the fact that when buying a CVO bike,  your not paying for parts twice.  Granted,  by doing a stocker and putting goodies on,  you wind up with a grip-o-parts that came off,  but what are those really worth....(mice nuts).
Now we all would like to think our bikes are "special" and they are to each and every one of us.  But from a long term investment thing,  and real value 20 years from now,  the only CVO that will be a real big collectors item will be the 2003 SERK (and only because it was the 100th aniversary).  I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're in the market for a bike,  and you would add lots of goodies to your bike anyway,  the CVO line up is a great way to get something a little different and save a bunch of money in the process. JMHO.

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Street Stalker

• Junior CVO Member
  • All show and no go, but about to change
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2006, 01:32:38 PM »

Allot of good points here.  I personally would like to see H.D. make portions of the SE motors, wheels and certain areas of chrome exclusive to the CVO's.  That way no other non CVO bike owners could purchase them.  Having a set of custom painted tins is nice, but not enough with all the competiton in paint especially coming from H.D.'s radical tin line and the awesome aftermarket custom paint facilities available.  Anybody can purchase the same chrome, wheels and motor if they want.  The biggest reason I went with the CVO was like stated before, all the chrome, motor, wheels and goodies are reflected in the book.  But, as we all know, the book is merely a guide, and the market will dictate what bikes will resell for.  Look on ebay, there are still plenty of new and used CVO's to be had and some for fairly cheap money.  I was going to trade my 04 S.E Deuce in on my current 06 S.E fatboy and was quoted $7000 less than what I paid for it a year earlier on trade.  So, if we all keep or bikes for long periods of time then most likely we'll have nothing to worry about.  But, if you like to switch bikes every couple years, hope you chose the right model!

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2006, 01:39:52 PM »

But from a long term investment thing,  and real value 20 years from now,  the only CVO that will be a real big collectors item will be the 2003 SERK (and only because it was the 100th aniversary).  I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're in the market for a bike,  and you would add lots of goodies to your bike anyway,  the CVO line up is a great way to get something a little different and save a bunch of money in the process. JMHO.

_Beagle

Beagle I sure hope your right ... I have heard mixed opinions on the 03SE's because they were all the same color but WHAT A COLOR ...and WHAT A PAINT JOB ... but personally I like that idea because when someone see's a Gold and Black SE they knows its an 03 ..no doubt ...

Bama

" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2006, 01:44:40 PM »

Nice ride.......I'd hang on to that one for a while.

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2006, 12:02:12 AM »

I happen to sell bikes for a living and all I can relate is my own experience. I sell a completely other brand of motorcycles ( in fact three of them ). I did not buy my CVO because it was the fastest, most powerful, most reliable motorcycle available on the market. I baught it because I have wanted a fatboy ever since the bike came out, but there were also some other models throughout the years that I wanted when they were out...like the springer "Bad Boy". When the time came and I had the means to go out and get my first brand new H-D that I wanted since I was about 11 or 12. I went looking around and this Heritage softail classic caught my eye. I had always also liked the Heritage in years past. I liked the idea of stripping it down to look like a fatboy with a different front fender and also having the saddle bags for a little touring. I bought her and brought her home. I will never stop loving her even though she is no longer mine. I loved the "Falcon" for what she was but I was also bitten. You see prior to this I only could afford Jap bikes.so in some wierd way I was spoiled. I expected more from my H-D that I loved so much. I took her on a nice little trip from Cleveland to Boston in a serious rain storm most of the way. We got to know each other well and she made it without any problem.well one HUGE problem.62 hp in a bike that weighs this much is ridiculously underpowered.  Also I began to have dreams of chrome front ends and do dads and such. Come on you know you had em! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]. I started circling things in my parts catalogue and picking things up at the parts counter dropping numerous dollars and seeming not to put a dent in my list of chit in that book, that doesnt even include the numerous other aftermarket parts catalogues. A screaming Eagle fatboy caught my eye. I found out how much it was. I went home and broke out the calculator and figured even with the hit I would take on trading in my Heritage in the same year as it was model year I would save a ton getting chit. SO I delved deeper into my possible idea. I found that the first fatboy off the production line in 1990 was silver. I also knew about the 15th year anniversary fatboy.....also silver. I compared the 15th ann with the CVO. Is the 15th ann more rare YES the CVO offered more . I wanted more and the CVO was the most I could get. Another good thing is they don't make my color bike the way they made it my model year. Even if they made a million of them, they only did it this year which makes it somewhat special and unique, they been making them H-Ds for a long time! They will probably never make it like this one ever again. It fit alot of the things I wanted in a bike "MY BIKE" I dont give a crap if there are ten billion of them this one is MINE! Its the one I liked and the one I love. When my grandkids tell their kids about it and how they inherited it will have statements attached to it like " They only made THIS bike like this back in the year 05, your great grandad loved this bike and he hopes you enjoy riding it as much as he did even if you never ride it your great grandpa did and he had some great stories to tell about this bike." Assuming I don't get kilt while riding it [smiley=drink.gif]. I never thought of owning two bikes but it did not take long for me to realize I need to have some other bike to ride and save just the good miles for the Screamin Eagle.........it don't make such a great commuter I love that about it. If I had my dream car 68 Camaro SS sitting in the garage I wouldnt drive that back and forth to work and beat on it daily either. That's what Hondas are for! Her is a pic of the old Falcon. You can see why I loved her, the sadness went away the first time I twisted the wick on the Fatboy though I still wonder how she is at times. BTW you have to have a CVO fatboy to have that little button on your leather dash that says custom vehicle operations, there is no part number for this button ( hey at least its exclusive to the CVO fatboy!)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:18:04 PM by flhtcse2004 »
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2006, 08:34:48 AM »

the results stay interesting:

Yes    19 (42.2%)
No    19 (42.2%)
undecided    7 (15.5%)

Appreciate everyones input...in a lot of what you say, I can hear myself speaking...

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2006, 11:38:46 AM »

No! I absolutely love my BnB, and there can be no doubt in anyone's mind that my wife loves her TT Cherry.  [smiley=cherry.gif] We have a ball riding together, and those that don't understand the CVO thing, sucks to be them.  But, those that know what we are riding are just plain jealous.  We make a statement just pulling into a parking lot.  I did not buy my bike for resale, for anyone else, or because it cost a lot of money and I wanted to make some kind of statement.  I bought my bike because it was the best bike HD had put out, I loved the way it looked and after riding it, I bought one just like it for my wife. I wanted her to have the great ride, I was having.  There is a lot more to our bikes than a nice paint job and a big engine.  Now, I don't like the fact that HD is watering down the value by making so many, but for me and mine, we got the best thing out there.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2006, 03:22:50 PM »

Yes    21 (39.6%)
No    25 (47.1%)
undecided    7 (13.2%)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 03:28:30 PM »

This is a very interestng poll you put up Bill.  It is roughly split in half.  The verbals seem to really pull to the extreme.  How do you feel now that you have not had a bad day at work?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2006, 04:00:43 PM »

I agree with Mr.WeCVO, I bought mine because it's different and a blast to ride. Nobody even knows what the hell I'm riding most of the time. Both HD riders and non-HD riders alike, everybody asks about it, the motor, the paint. It and all the CVO's are great bikes. No not "one of a kinds", but great bikes in there own right. I for one am pretty happy to own one.   8-)
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2006, 04:21:14 PM »

Billl you are right....I was thinking the same.....Before, the CVO had like a halo of "exclusivity". I remember back 2003 when I was in Milwaukee during the 100th Anniversary and I saw the SEEG (pumpkin) I couldn't believe that the MoCo could build that beauty....as soon as I get back home I contacted all the dealers in all Florida in order to get one........ finally I got one ordered and I had to wait [highlight]8 long months[/highlight] to be delivered....

Last week the 2007's are shown in the website and at the same time the trucks are running to the stealers full of CVO's...for the people who are eager to purchase them.....

I use to travel to Latin America for my business and I have seen CVO '06 in Mexico, Panama and Colombia....so the production is unlimited now?

Jorge

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2006, 10:39:38 AM »

If they have lost their luster,
then why isn't the market filled with used ones?  [smiley=oops.gif]
Actually they are still relatively hard to find to purchase and the prices are definately out of reach of most people (somebody making 30-35k a year is not likely gonna purchase a 25-30k scooter). Time will only make availability more exclusive allowing the high dollar value to be maintained. Remember that harley sells globally and a quantity of a couple of thousand seems a whole lot smaller.
For example an, '04 SEEG 2750 produced, america only, 275 million people that would mean 1 in 100,000 could own one, however how many were sold in Canada, Europe and Asia, do we see sell in Russia? So the numbers are probably more like 1 in 500,000 (think more like your at woodstock '69 and your the only one with a CVO that's pretty exclusive if you ask me)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:44:50 AM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 20 queries.