Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: We found some more power! New Fullsac perforated muffler sleeves.  (Read 25055 times)

nevadabob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010
Re: We found some more power! New Fullsac perforated muffler sleeves.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »

;) folks you don't need the screen or the glass, it adds nothing to the after you change out the baffle. the glass if bunched only causes hot spots on the can with eventual discoloring. mind sounds right, loud and not to loud to hear the tunes.
Nevadabob

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2007 FLSTN
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2013, 11:57:31 PM »

;) folks you don't need the screen or the glass, it adds nothing to the after you change out the baffle. the glass if bunched only causes hot spots on the can with eventual discoloring. mind sounds right, loud and not to loud to hear the tunes.

What sounds right to you maybe to loud for me.  We know we can run the mufflers without any packing.  However many of us find the mufflers to be to loud with no packing.

If you're going to reinstall the packing, the screens will keep it from bunching at the end of the muffler and provides the necessary space between the core and packing needed to maximize the torque.

Go back and read Steve's original post.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:59:15 PM by HDGearHead »

RBFB

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 01:05:23 AM »

I installed the screens today in mine, went pretty easy. Sounded good and made a noticeable difference in performance. I use the Power Vision with Autotune and it started changing the map. Seat of the pants felt more responsive and pulled harder. Worth the money to me. I wouldn't say it was louder, just maybe a tad different, at first I thought it might have been quieter actually. I'm just glad it wasn't louder.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 09:45:08 AM »

Any troubles getting the baffles back out again?  My left one needed some coaxing to get on. :nervous:

SHRK2TH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Street Glide / Black traded
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / White Starfire Black
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »

Any troubles getting the baffles back out again?  My left one needed some coaxing to get on. :nervous:

Mine were a little tight as well.  Held on to the baffle and used a dead blow hammer lightly around the
perimeter of the muffler, one was a little stubborn.  Worked really well.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 12:48:42 PM »

Use a 1" pipe you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes
Insert to inlet side & hold muffler in upright position with both hands then hammer down to jar loose baffle.
Works every time, thanks to Steve's instruction.
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »

Use a 1" pipe you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes
Insert to inlet side & hold muffler in upright position with both hands then hammer down to jar loose baffle.
Works every time, thanks to Steve's instruction.

That only works with the stock cores.  A different approach is required to remove the Fullsac cores which are open all the way through.

I just removed mine to install the screens/sleeves and had to use a rubber mallet around the perimeter of the outlet end of the muffler.

I wrapped the outlet end of the core with a piece of bicycle inner tube to prevent it from being marred up and placed it into the jaws of a large channel lock plier.  I slid the channel lock handles into a vise below the jaws and tightened it (my vice has a perfect area below the jaws to hold the handles that prevents them from moving while I am persuading the muffler can with my mallet.   I then used a block of wood and a rubber mallet to persuade the muffler can to slide off the core.  It took some love but they came out without damaging anything.

The inlet end of my core is pressed over a inlet pipe having a mesh type gasket attached to it.  I think this is what made mine hard to come out.  When I put them in originally and again this time, I had to persuade them in the last .25-.5 inched with a rubber mallet.

I though about drilling a vertical hole through the core just before the plate on the outlet end and installing a bolt across it before putting them back in. This would enable me to knock them out in the future using a dowel just like the OE core.  Since I didn't know how this would impact performance or sound, and In was concerned that it may come loose and rattle I choose not to.

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 02:07:34 AM »

So the mufflers need to come off the bike to do this?
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

SHRK2TH

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 06:50:05 AM »

So the mufflers need to come off the bike to do this?

Yep...

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2013, 08:00:53 AM »

Yep...

Why?

I removed my fullsac 2.25 SD baffles while on the bike to find the packing all bunched up at the end.  Removed the packing and put the baffle back in.

So I figure I should be able to once my screens come in put the packing around them, insert it into the cans while on the bike and put baffle back in again.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

SHRK2TH

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »

Why?

I removed my fullsac 2.25 SD baffles while on the bike to find the packing all bunched up at the end.  Removed the packing and put the baffle back in.

So I figure I should be able to once my screens come in put the packing around them, insert it into the cans while on the bike and put baffle back in again.

Dave,

Guess I wasnt so lucky then.  One of my 2.25 took a little coaxing and patience to get it back out, the other came out with a few taps.
Without the muffler being off, I would have most likely damage the core end trying to pry or pull with vise grips.  My above post as to how I did it worked fine.
You will have no problem :)

Danny

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2013, 11:21:28 AM »

Hard to install and remove cores are not the norm. After you have ground the welds and removed the stock cores, its important to go back in and smooth everything out.
About one in five mufflers will have a small amount of weld burnt through the case at the mounting brackets. Failure to remove this will make the core difficult to install and remove as it binds up the last half inch of install. When the muffler case is free of all burs, lumps and bumps, the cores can typically be slid in and out by hand or with minimal tapping. I swap them out on the dyno tray all the time during testing. Next time you have your cores out, look directly under the welds of the mounting bracket for high spots.

Steve George
Fullsac performance

Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

HDGearHead

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »

Steve,  I ground out the welds and throughly smoothed everything out afterwards.  If if flip the core over, I can easily slide it in the muffler past the point the bold goes it.

That's why I believe it's the inlet end thats binding/tight in mine.  I have 2012 mufflers and when I pull the cores and look inside down at the inlet pipe, their is wire mesh type gasket material around the inlet pipe that the core must slip over.  When I slide the core in, I have to tap it in the last quarter inch.

That said, I'll double check the welds under the mounting brackets the next time I have these apart.

I have another 2010 muffler set with 2" cores that I'm going to install the sleeves in this weekend and will make a comparison then.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:22:38 PM by HDGearHead »

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2013, 10:27:26 PM »

I'm really debating on paying the shipping and having mine done from Steve's place an not rolling the dice on F*king them up...
:)
2013 SERG Longhorn Burnt Orange
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams
C&C custom gel seat, pillion and tour pack rest.
Buky custom made these 12's x 1'&1/2
Custom paint done by Doug Starbuck in Riverside CA.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2013, 10:57:59 PM »

Steve,  I ground out the welds and throughly smoothed everything out afterwards.  If if flip the core over, I can easily slide it in the muffler past the point the bold goes it.

That's why I believe it's the inlet end thats binding/tight in mine.  I have 2012 mufflers and when I pull the cores and look inside down at the inlet pipe, their is wire mesh type gasket material around the inlet pipe that the core must slip over.  When I slide the core in, I have to tap it in the last quarter inch.

That said, I'll double check the welds under the mounting brackets the next time I have these apart.

I have another 2010 muffler set with 2" cores that I'm going to install the sleeves in this weekend and will make a comparison then.

Tapping it in the last quarter inch is pretty normal. Having to really beat on it to go in or out is not. Sounds like you did it right!

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.