Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: What is your highest oil temp?  (Read 18370 times)

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE in black & fire quartz
Re: What is your highest oil temp?
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2010, 02:08:20 AM »

Okay, I missed something...
If the engine has already put the oil through 320 or 340 degree internal areas, what does it matter if the brown water measure 250 in the oil bag?
It is already compromised, no?
Methinks the Used Oil Analysis studies I perused online (not here)
are conservative, the time at failure temp plays a significant role, or all our engines are degrading at an alarming rate.
Thoughts?

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »

I have an FLSTSE Softail Convertible 110 with an analog dipstick gauge and an oil cooler. I've never gone over 240 degrees. That's in the high ninety's air temperature. I have a pair of V&H slip ons and a Thundermax Autotune which helps keep the temperature down.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2010, 03:20:12 AM »

We had just finished a 1200 mile trip to Niagra Falls,Upstate NY,down to Route 6 across Pennsy and back home to Jersey. Temps in the 90.s and she ran like a champ.Took her in for the 10,000 mile, 2 tires and brakes. Picked her up and within 20 miles,the beast forgot how to pass, sent out heat waves like I've NEVER seen before, up through the seat to my personality. Went home to the garage with my tail between my legs wondering what happened. I pushed the magic button on the digital and it read 315.WTF. Dealer checked-no codes, sensors ok, plugs etc all checked out.After 2 years and almost 11,000 miles you get to know your ride so It's not my imagination. Said ok, took bike out on the highway and at about 22 miles it started again. This time,I pushed it 1 1/2 miles home as I saw the oil light flicker once before I shut  her down.The dealer now thinks that the oil is hanging out in the crankcase, what he called sumping. Well I knew sumping was wrong the first time(bad pun).What is it, and was something that they did at the 10,000 the cause? I'm not looking for someone to blame, just some answers.Never had any issues from mile 1, did the "enhancement" and it's been a great ride-a little warm at times- but not like this.Any ideas?Dealer called and said that the normal causes for sumping- bad o rings, oil pump wear, all were non-existent.They brought the motor up to temp then measured the amount of oil in the case.He said that there was 16 oz. in the case and there should have been 8-10.Doesn't seem exessive to me from a 4 qt system.They were calling Extreme Tech at the moco for advice. I came to the only place that has never steered me wrong before.HERE at CVO. So speak up boys if only to ease my mind.Bike will be at dealers until fixed.Maybe I'm just suffering from no bikitis and this is going to be the coolest weekend so far this summer. F**K.

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2010, 05:28:37 AM »

We had just finished a 1200 mile trip to Niagra Falls,Upstate NY,down to Route 6 across Pennsy and back home to Jersey. Temps in the 90.s and she ran like a champ.Took her in for the 10,000 mile, 2 tires and brakes. Picked her up and within 20 miles,the beast forgot how to pass, sent out heat waves like I've NEVER seen before, up through the seat to my personality. Went home to the garage with my tail between my legs wondering what happened. I pushed the magic button on the digital and it read 315.WTF. Dealer checked-no codes, sensors ok, plugs etc all checked out.After 2 years and almost 11,000 miles you get to know your ride so It's not my imagination. Said ok, took bike out on the highway and at about 22 miles it started again. This time,I pushed it 1 1/2 miles home as I saw the oil light flicker once before I shut  her down.The dealer now thinks that the oil is hanging out in the crankcase, what he called sumping. Well I knew sumping was wrong the first time(bad pun).What is it, and was something that they did at the 10,000 the cause? I'm not looking for someone to blame, just some answers.Never had any issues from mile 1, did the "enhancement" and it's been a great ride-a little warm at times- but not like this.Any ideas?Dealer called and said that the normal causes for sumping- bad o rings, oil pump wear, all were non-existent.They brought the motor up to temp then measured the amount of oil in the case.He said that there was 16 oz. in the case and there should have been 8-10.Doesn't seem exessive to me from a 4 qt system.They were calling Extreme Tech at the moco for advice. I came to the only place that has never steered me wrong before.HERE at CVO. So speak up boys if only to ease my mind.Bike will be at dealers until fixed.Maybe I'm just suffering from no bikitis and this is going to be the coolest weekend so far this summer. F**K.

Follow up: Got a call from Service MNGR. yesterday and told me they were replacing the cam plate.ok not what I expected.Is there anything that I should ask for or about while the bike is apart?

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2010, 07:33:20 AM »

After a number of miles of 2nd gear curves, then idling for a couple minutes waiting for traffic, then crawling through Hill City in said traffic: 244 on the digital dipstick.  Usually it stays around 215.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Big C.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: Stardust Silver & Platinum Dust FLTRSE3
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »

My 09 SERG runs between 180 and 200.  I have never seen it go over 235 in traffic in 90 plus heat.  I'm running woods tw7h cams, se race tuner "tuned by Rob's Dyno in Groton Ma., D and D boss 2 into 1 "that I sent out and had jet coated inside and out", with Torco straight 50w oil.  Temp numbers were taken from a sump mounted sensor to gauge in fairing.  My lcd dipstick also reads 8 to 12 degrees cooler than gauge temp and that its over filled, useless peice of S#!t.

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2010, 07:50:25 PM »

Follow up: Got a call from Service MNGR. yesterday and told me they were replacing the cam plate.ok not what I expected.Is there anything that I should ask for or about while the bike is apart?
Follow up to follow up: todays call told me that they received another call from mother milwaukee who told them it could be a blockage in the screen of the oil take-up, which is on left side of motor and would require taking the whole motor apart. But they are not going to do it. Going to try the cam plate first. FIRST? The first time they told me nothing was wrong; this is the second time in for this, which had to be something that they did as it didn't start until after the 10k turnaround in their shop. Somebody ell me that I'm not getting greased.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2011, 09:20:11 PM »

Well after reading this thread, I guess I feel better, or at least I feel my high oil temps are the norm......

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »

On the way back from Monterey today, running up I-5 with temps in the triple digits the temp on my dakota digital gauges (probe in the bottom of the case) was at 250 a couple of times.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.