Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harmon Kardon CVO Ultra Speakers - pictures? Specs? Replace first?  (Read 3476 times)

cus

• Junior CVO Member

BEFORE doing a major upgrade with HW amp and speakers, I may spend $150 to upgrade the existing 2 ohm HK speakers.  How good are they?  I am looking at replacing them with Infiniti Kappa - good speaks, good sensativity, directional tweeter.  Anyone have a picture of the Harmon Kardon speaker I can check out.  Once I open up the fairing, I want to upgrade speaker and hardwire my GPS.  These have a 2" mounting depth so assume I can get them in the rear location. 

When I have more time (and money) next winter, I may setup my trunk to be removable and do the Hawg Wired 4 in the face.  Maybe this will be an easy and not very expensive interim solution - thanks!

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Re: Harmon Kardon CVO Ultra Speakers - pictures? Specs? Replace first?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 10:27:53 AM »

What speakers are you going to upgrade?  And you are going to use the Hawg Wired amp?  If you are going with the Four in the Face you can run your tour pak off the stereo head unit.  You can probably do the same with the double shot.

Here are some links as to what some members have done:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=8813.msg132173;topicseen#msg132173

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=7014.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=34824.0

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 05:47:03 AM »

The stock speakers are 2 ohm and tragically bad. For the life of me, i will never understand Harley specking those speakers. Harman actually owns infinity and JBL, so it's not like Harley didn't have access to some really great stuff. The Kapas are a great sounding speakers, considerable upgrade.

cus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »

I pulled a rear speaker out for a look.  NOT a high quality speaker visually looking at materials, magnet, etc.  So much for a "premium" sound system.   At OEM cost, you have to wonder what it would have taken Harley to place a "decent" speaker in there.  I'll replace them for now and do a significant upgrade over next winter. 

cus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »

The rear speaker is very easy to inspect - remove 4 torx bolts - you'll be disappointed in what you see.  I can post a picture if anyone is interested...

2009FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 06:14:56 PM »

here is a 2ohm speaker compared to the Hawg-Wired speaker. the hogwired is a component speaker with a crossover

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 05:38:38 AM »

great comparison pic. got to wonder WTF was Harley thinking when they specked those speakers. Hope the guys at Hawg Wired sent them a thank you note.

2009FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 03:34:12 PM »

Yea you would think it would be best to design and build the best bike possible and charge for it if you are going to call it a CVO. instead we end up disappointed and less trusting.

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »

BEFORE doing a major upgrade with HW amp and speakers, I may spend $150 to upgrade the existing 2 ohm HK speakers.  How good are they?  I am looking at replacing them with Infiniti Kappa - good speaks, good sensativity, directional tweeter.  Anyone have a picture of the Harmon Kardon speaker I can check out.  Once I open up the fairing, I want to upgrade speaker and hardwire my GPS.  These have a 2" mounting depth so assume I can get them in the rear location. 

When I have more time (and money) next winter, I may setup my trunk to be removable and do the Hawg Wired 4 in the face.  Maybe this will be an easy and not very expensive interim solution - thanks!

Contact Jim (hd-dude) and order the Hawg Wired setup. 

Before taking your time to change out speakers just get the best and be done with it.  The sound and clarity are EXCELLENT.  With 4 in the face you can make the tourpak detachable.  The amp and harness can be sold here or ebay to recoup a little .  It is one of the best mods I have made.  You will not regret it!  While you are at it order the HID kit too another mod worth every penny -you can actually SEE when you drive at night - imagine being able to SEE and HEAR! :stars:
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

cus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 12:09:08 AM »

I'll always take good advice  - HID kit - tell me more!  What is it?  Is it HD?  If it is HD, wonder why they do not put it on their CVO?

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »

Do a search for HID and a lot of info will pop up.

2-Lane has a very informative thread - don't know how to attach that link here?

I also think AJ (hard10) has put a group buy together for these so you may want to read that thread in Group Buy section.

Jim (hd-dude) carries them- that is where I purchased my kit and I know you will not beat his service.  He customer service is EXCELLENT!
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 03:28:45 PM »

I'll always take good advice  - HID kit - tell me more!  What is it?  Is it HD?  If it is HD, wonder why they do not put it on their CVO?

Here's a link to the full thread. Some people have had some isolated problems but I have not experienced any and Puzzled has purchased 7 sets. If you feel more comfortable, by all means, order from Jim (HD Dude). He's a very reputable distributor and member here.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.