Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK  (Read 13731 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2007, 06:54:25 PM »

Thawing out!!! ;D Hoist! 8-)
I can understand that...glad to see you got your new ride today.  I know you've been waiting long and hard for it. ;)
cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2007, 07:02:55 PM »

To consider the full scenario does your sales department discourage non-locals from buying bikes at your dealership because that buyer's home shop might not treat them as preferentially as if they had bought at home?  If not then the service prefernce practice is at least a bit hypocritical.  

Twolander you see here again we look at it from two different views ..you the buyer and me the seller ...hypocritical to me would be the guy who drives 100 miles to save $2 or 300 dollars then wants to come to us to use our service department, and we have to listen to his complaints over a warranty or service issues ...not that he does not have the right to complain but it sure makes the medicine go down easier on our end when he is one of our customers...as I said earlier we will gladly service or do warranty on anyones Harley ...its just that we feel we owe it to OUR cutomers to always take care of their needs first ...they help keep our store open, helps us be a profitable business ... I suppose its called loyalty .....also when he brings his new bike in he bought at "Down the Road Harley" and wants a discount on parts and labor at our store ...it just seems to me loyalty should go both ways .... you want that from the Dealer then you should return it with in reason ....this is JMHO ....how I as an indovidual see it

Dude
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 07:15:42 PM by BamaHarleyDude »
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2007, 07:45:47 PM »

I'll throw in an opinion on Ultra Classic -vs- Road King.  I've had both and if I could only have one, it would be the Ultra and I'd make the tour pack detachable.  You can't beat the Ultra for the long haul and passenger comfort, but it can get you where you want to go locally too.  If I could only have one, it's the Ultra (but, two is better).

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2007, 07:57:46 PM »

I think many here have voiced that age is a partial factor here but with few excceptions on this list I went 76 FLH, Lowrider, FXRSSP, Springer, DWG, Springer, DWG, DWG2, RK, RK, FLHUC, DWG3, SEUC.

I had the DWG2 and the RK, wife got on the RK and that was that, she wasn't getting back on the DWG.  So then one day I walked into the HD shop and they had a Black UC with chrome front forks and lace wheels (it had me at hello), I figured if it was her bike I may as well have all the chit to go along with the baloon tires and cruiser mentallity.  

I ended up with the SEUC really from saying if they ever make a SE Ultra Classic I'm a deal since she didn't wish to give up the intercom and I knew better than to mess with her bike.  She only back seats but it gets me two bikes if she has one.  

So mostly the DWG3 sits.  I think I'll spring for a SERK this summer replacing the DWG3, only time will tell.  I'll try to wait until we know what 2008 holds in the August time frame.  

Now I'd never be without an Ultra though.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2007, 08:06:05 PM »

Twolander you see here again we look at it from two different views ..you the buyer and me the seller ...hypocritical to me would be the guy who drives 100 miles to save $2 or 300 dollars then wants to come to us to use our service department, and we have to listen to his complaints over a warranty or service issues ...not that he does not have the right to complain but it sure makes the medicine go down easier on our end when he is one of our customers...as I said earlier we will gladly service or do warranty on anyones Harley ...its just that we feel we owe it to OUR cutomers to always take care of their needs first ...they help keep our store open, helps us be a profitable business ... I suppose its called loyalty .....also when he brings his new bike in he bought at "Down the Road Harley" and wants a discount on parts and labor at our store ...it just seems to me loyalty should go both ways .... you want that from the Dealer then you should return it with in reason ....this is JMHO ....how I as an indovidual see it

Dude
What do you do for the guy that has been a loyal customer at your dealership, but cannot get the bike he wants at your dealership, say a CVO Ultra, and he goes elsewhere?  Do you still treat him as a loyal customer or is he now a "Dealer X" buyer and shouldn't be given that customer treatment anymore?  It's not the buyer's fault that he couldn't get the bike at your dealership.  That's a point in case with me, I couldn't get, even though I tried on numerous occasions, my SEUC from the dealership that I have always bought from and been a loyal customer.  I don't think I'll be treated differently, at least by the owner, because he understood that with a CVO, you got to buy them where you can get them, but that may not hold true with the service department, even though they have a good bunch of people there.

Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »

What do you do for the guy that has been a loyal customer at your dealership, but cannot get the bike he wants at your dealership, say a CVO Ultra, and he goes elsewhere?  Do you still treat him as a loyal customer or is he now a "Dealer X" buyer and shouldn't be given that customer treatment anymore?  It's not the buyer's fault that he couldn't get the bike at your dealership.  That's a point in case with me, I couldn't get, even though I tried on numerous occasions, my SEUC from the dealership that I have always bought from and been a loyal customer.  I don't think I'll be treated differently, at least by the owner, because he understood that with a CVO, you got to buy them where you can get them, but that may not hold true with the service department, even though they have a good bunch of people there.

Red

Red thats a great point and there are always exceptions to the case.

Dude

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2007, 08:17:21 PM »

Red
Red,
Had similar situation when I purchased my CVO. I went to dealer I had purchased bike from before, but they could only put me on the list, and couldn't guarantee me a bike. I spoke w/the owner of local dealership and asked him would there be any hard feelings and he promised me there wouldn't and understood me getting a bike where I could. They have treated me the same up to this day. I make all my appointments in advance and show up when scheduled. This particular dealership does have the policy to fix traveling bikers first if they show up w/a breakdown and I understand and appreciate that. I could be stranded on the road one day and would appreciate that treatment from a dealer on the road.

I guess I'm just lucky to be blessed to have an understanding local dealer that sells bikes at MSRP, understands when you can't get a CVO from them, and doesn't let that effect the relationship.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2007, 08:30:33 PM »

Red,
Had similar situation when I purchased my CVO. I went to dealer I had purchased bike from before, but they could only put me on the list, and couldn't guarantee me a bike. I spoke w/the owner of local dealership and asked him would there be any hard feelings and he promised me there wouldn't and understood me getting a bike where I could. They have treated me the same up to this day. I make all my appointments in advance and show up when scheduled. This particular dealership does have the policy to fix traveling bikers first if they show up w/a breakdown and I understand and appreciate that. I could be stranded on the road one day and would appreciate that treatment from a dealer on the road.

I guess I'm just lucky to be blessed to have an understanding local dealer that sells bikes at MSRP, understands when you can't get a CVO from them, and doesn't let that effect the relationship.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Red and Gary,
I'm pretty sure I know who you guys are talking about, but won't mention any names here.  I've had the same experience with "the" dealer, but some of my friends have not been as fortunate and have taken their business elsewhere.  I'm a firm believer in loyalty - both ways, but agree with Red - sometimes, especially with CVO's you just can't get what you want from "your" dealer.  We're fortunate!
Tony

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2007, 09:32:18 PM »

Like Red and Fired00d I have had occasion to buy at a dealer outside of town when a cike was not available.  

Actually I have bought about every other bike out of town.  They still treat me great in town and I get really good sdervice no matter where my bike came from.  They have had some turnover and in another post I was disenchanted with them, but I have stayed loyal and it paid off with my SEUC paint issues which they have worked hard to resolve.

In my business if I can't supply a product I have no issue with a customer going elsewhere to get what they want, I may even direct them to a dealer that has it.  It hurts though, when they go elsewhere and I have the product, but I figure we screwed up and work just as hard to please them and hope on getting the next sale when it comes.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2007, 09:50:03 PM »

also when he brings his new bike in he bought at "Down the Road Harley" and wants a discount on parts and labor at our store

Dude

There I completely agree with you.  Those are benefits above and beyond the baseline.  It would be the height of hubis to walk in and say "I've got a new bike, I didn't buy it from you, give me something extra."  Whatever that "extra" might be it should come from the selling dealer (if it's even coming from anyone).  The difference seems to be whether or not ordered and orderly service is perceived as part of the baseline.

You're right in that it is a loyalty thing.  And I do look at it from a businessman's perspective.  I'm just taking a longer view.  From a businessowner's perspective the goal is to attract ("earn" would be the better word) as much loyalty as you can.  A man who bought his bike elsewhere but is giving you perhaps the only opportunity you'll get to impress him and earn his future loyalty (and purchases) is going to be neither impressed nor loyal when he learns that someone who presented after him got to go first.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:52:21 PM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2007, 09:54:51 PM »

In my business if I can't supply a product I have no issue with a customer going elsewhere to get what they want, I may even direct them to a dealer that has it.  It hurts though, when they go elsewhere and I have the product, but I figure we screwed up and work just as hard to please them and hope on getting the next sale when it comes.

And there, my friends, is the ideal example.

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2007, 10:32:20 PM »

There I completely agree with you.  
You're right in that it is a loyalty thing.   From a businessowner's perspective the goal is to attract ("earn" would be the better word) as much loyalty as you can.  

Does "attract or earn" loyalty mean buying someones business by selling a bike, parts or service for less then what they are worth? I would think that would be a poor business plan but then thats JMHO ..but lets not beat a dead horse ...I know I stand alone for the most part on my views on this forum ...and I suppose I should learn just to keep my mouth shut.

Dude

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2007, 11:21:43 PM »

Wow has this thread been jacked,retaken and jacked again.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

As far as dealers and service is concerned I can see both side of the issue. NO business can stay in business for long if they are moving product or providing a service below costs.
As in buying a car ,I do my research and make a decision on what is a fair price to pay for a product and will try to get it for that price. I don't mind a salesman making a fair profit and providing for his family I just don't want to send his kids through 4 years of college based on my sale alone. If I am treated in an inteligent and mature manner I will return to buy again and I will provide good P.R. to that dealer by word of mouth,internet etc.

As for a service department I can understand having to triage bikes that come in for work if there is more work than a department can handle. I agree with what has been said about helping stranded bikers on the road and other emergency type situations.
I can see situations where a service department can cost a dealership in ruined reputation and future sales if a customer comes in and feels like he is a second or third class citizen.
If a service department chooses to prioritize by letting bikes sold at their dealership get serviced first is it a clearly stated policy? In my area there is a very large military presence and there are many riders who got their bikes in other parts of the country and got transfered, should they be treated differently? How about us CVO folks should we have a gold card (Or maybe chrome) ;D that gets us to the head of the line for service,maybe a loaner bike or a courtesy ride home etc.?
I would think one way to help build a business would be for the service department to treat every person as if they were important reguardless of where the bike was purchased and win the customer over with kindness if the dealership is treated with understanding and respect as well. At times I have seen the servce department at a bike or car dealership make or break a reputation. Since many people may only deal with the salesman every couple of years or so but they will see a service department many times a year.

Meanwhile back to the original posting. ;D

I love my SEUC and If I could only have one bike this would be it. It is NOT that much different than a softail in town to ride yet on a long ride or on the highway it is nice to have the storage space and extra stuff. The video tape "Ride like a Pro" has great tips for low speed handling. The steering may seen a little heavy for some but that would be one reason for the Roadglide. You still have all the luxury but with the frame mounted fairing the steering is lighter and not as affected by wind. Maybe 2008 will bring a Screamin Eagle version back?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2007, 01:41:15 AM »

Does "attract or earn" loyalty mean buying someones business by selling a bike, parts or service for less then what they are worth? I would think that would be a poor business plan but then thats JMHO ..but lets not beat a dead horse ...I know I stand alone for the most part on my views on this forum ...and I suppose I should learn just to keep my mouth shut.

Dude

KY, now you're diverting from the question.  No one said a word about working below margin or what you might be expected to earn.  We're talking about how you treat clientele and potential clientele no matter where they come from.  It's unfortunate that their treatment is equated with a dead horse.

You spoke earlier of recognizing the business owner's perspective.  That likely is the issue.  It is common for a department foreman or manager to assume that is the perspective they've learned to take.  When in fact it's the nearer term and more isolated perspective of their department they grasp.  The person or board with responsibility and oversight for all of them are far more commonly the only members of an organization who effectively grasp the overall and the long term.  

That's ok.  You want your subordinate staff to be dedicated to their own missions.  That's also why there is oversight; or at least should be.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:43:13 AM by twolanerider »

Xmas camel

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2007, 04:37:05 AM »

I have found that here in CA dealers do not want to sell "out-of-county" because (they claim)  it will reduce their alotment for that kind of bike in the following year. That may be no big deal with sportsters, but for a CVO, I am sure it is a BIG DEAL, if true. As a result, it would be imposssible to get  CVO at MSRP here unless you went to a local dealer. If this is a HD Corp policy, then the same must apply everywhere else. Has anyone encountered this?

I have just recently switched my deposit from a SERK to a SEUC. My rational being that the RK is bike that does both cruising and touring OK, but neither really well. Since I have CVO dyna for cruising, I think the SEUC is the right second bike for me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 21 queries.