Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Author Topic: Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK  (Read 13813 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Having Second thoughts.. SEUltra or  SERK
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2007, 07:51:37 AM »

I have found that here in [highlight]CA dealers do not want to sell "out-of-county" because (they claim)  it will reduce their alotment for that kind of bike in the following year[/highlight]. That may be no big deal with sportsters, but for a CVO, I am sure it is a BIG DEAL, if true. As a result, it would be imposssible to get  CVO at MSRP here unless you went to a local dealer. If this is a HD Corp policy, then the same must apply everywhere else. Has anyone encountered this?

I have just recently switched my deposit from a SERK to a SEUC. My rational being that the RK is bike that does both cruising and touring OK, but neither really well. Since I have CVO dyna for cruising, I think the SEUC is the right second bike for me.
I'm not sure I see logic in the CA dealers statement and think that's their own policy.  To me that doesn't make sense.  Allotments from the MoCo are based on sales of motorcycles and the locations of the dealerships as to whether they are a Northern or Southern dealership.  Southern dealerships get more motorcycles in the winter months, makes sense, than Northern dealerships.  If you are a producer for the MoCo and sell a lot of motorcycles, they will keep your allotment at better level than the dealership that doesn't sell as much.  I don't really think the MoCo cares if the dealership sells out of county, or out of state, the dealerships are independently owned and can sell to whomeever they want to.  I'm not sure why this dealership would restrict his sales to just county people.  If that were the case here, some of our dealerships would go out of business for lack of sales.  The counties that they reside just aren't big enough to support them.  I haven't been to a single dealer here or (anywhere else in my travels) that have not been willing to sell me a motorcycle because I was out of their state, let alone out of their county.  That's a unique policy to that dealership and to me they are stifling their own sales.  JMHO.
cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red
Back to the subject...Cobatman, my gut reaction, get your SEUC where ever you can get it, and if that means paying a little over MSRP, then so be it.  If you really want the bike, you have to be a little flexible.  Perhaps you can convince the dealership to give you some extra bennies free because of the higher sales price....just a thought

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2007, 08:08:20 AM »

Does "attract or earn" loyalty mean buying someones business by selling a bike, parts or service for less then what they are worth? I would think that would be a poor business plan but then thats JMHO ..but lets not beat a dead horse ...I[highlight] know I stand alone for the most part on my views on this forum ...and I suppose I should learn just to keep my mouth shut.[/highlight]

Dude
KHD,
Your opinion is, like all others in this forum, is what makes this forum a great place to come to for information and insight.  The only bad or stupid opinion is the one that's not given.  You are looking at it from the dealership perspective and I can appreciate that.  I do respect a dealership that puts travelers high on their list for service.  I know if I was broken down in Bumf**k, East Overshoe, I'd sure be appreciative if the local dealership put me high up on their list for service so that I can get back on the road as quick as possible.   I totally understand loyalty, that's a good thing.  I guess there's just a fine line that we, the customers look for in how we're treated by a dealership.  If I get snubbed by a dealership that I've been loyal to because I bought a bike from another dealership after trying to get that bike from them, then I will no longer be a customer at that dealership.  I've been fortunate, I spoke directly with the owner of "my dealership" and he totally understood why I went elsewhere with the SEUC, he just couldn't get one for me.  Will I keep going back to that dealership in the future?  You bet I will.  Will I continue to go to the dealership that I bought the bike from?  Sure, they did me right and they stated (guaranteed) they will honor my warranty and extended warranty with the mods I've done, because they were done by them.  So, I'm in a win-win situation...those are the kind of dealerships I like and will continue to do business with.   On the flip side, we have a dealership North of me, and TC, you know to whom I'm referring to here, that has a "first come, first serve", service policy.  There are no appointments, regardless of whether you bought the bike from them or not.  That's equal treatment to all, however, I personally don't like that policy.  I still work and I can't drop my bike off on a Monday morning, hope I'm one of the first in line for service, so that it doesn't sit at the dealership all week, waiting to be worked on and if it does get done by Tuesday, I have to take more time off of work because if I don't pick it up within three days after completion of work, they start charging a storage fee.  I wouldn't buy from that dealership for those reasons.  

God, I hate it when I get on a rant....sheesh... :-[  You just keep on giving your opinion KHD ;)

Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2007, 08:22:32 AM »

I've been in the Harley world since early 2003. In that span, the closest dealer has changed hands twice, inside people are different almost everytime you walk in. The other two local shops, while I don't frequent them that much, it seems like counter and service people change frequently. At the next town, where I bought my current bike, of the three sales people, two, including the guy I bought mine from, are gone.
 Also, since 02, I have bought four trucks from the same dealership (GM) from 4 different sales people. I would always ask for the same sales assoc, but they would be gone.  So I like loyalty, and would prefer to deal with the same, friendly, familiar faces, but it's just not possible in todays fast paced retail world. So I usually start at my favorite place to do business, but usually buy where the best deal on the particular vehicle I want is.  It's a little eaiser with vehicles as dealers will trade inventories, but the Harley dealers don't seem to want to do the same, at least not here.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2007, 09:25:58 AM »

KHD,
Your opinion is, like all others in this forum, is what makes this forum a great place to come to for information and insight.  The only bad or stupid opinion is the one that's not given.  You are looking at it from the dealership perspective and I can appreciate that.  I do respect a dealership that puts travelers high on their list for service.  I know if I was broken down in Bumf**k, East Overshoe, I'd sure be appreciative if the local dealership put me high up on their list for service so that I can get back on the road as quick as possible.   I totally understand loyalty, that's a good thing.  I guess there's just a fine line that we, the customers look for in how we're treated by a dealership.  [highlight]If I get snubbed by a dealership that I've been loyal to because I bought a bike from another dealership after trying to get that bike from them, then I will no longer be a customer at that dealership[/highlight].  I've been fortunate, I spoke directly with the owner of "my dealership" and he totally understood why I went elsewhere with the SEUC, he just couldn't get one for me.  Will I keep going back to that dealership in the future?  You bet I will.  Will I continue to go to the dealership that I bought the bike from?  Sure, they did me right and they stated (guaranteed) they will honor my warranty and extended warranty with the mods I've done, because they were done by them.  So, I'm in a win-win situation...those are the kind of dealerships I like and will continue to do business with.   On the flip side, we have a dealership North of me, and TC, you know to whom I'm referring to here, that has a "first come, first serve", service policy.  There are no appointments, regardless of whether you bought the bike from them or not.  That's equal treatment to all, however, I personally don't like that policy.  I still work and I can't drop my bike off on a Monday morning, hope I'm one of the first in line for service, so that it doesn't sit at the dealership all week, waiting to be worked on and if it does get done by Tuesday, I have to take more time off of work because if I don't pick it up within three days after completion of work, they start charging a storage fee.  I wouldn't buy from that dealership for those reasons.  

God, I hate it when I get on a rant....sheesh... :-[  You just keep on giving your opinion KHD ;)

Red
[highlight][/highlight]

Red that is an excellent point and I understand fully ...I do not think a dealer can or should expect a local customer to pay him $500 or more for a comprable bike he has in stock when he could purchase that bike else where for $500.00 less .... but when the customer starts brow beating his local dealer over $200.00 or $300.00 then I feel the Dealer has to take a stand ...his service should be worth something to a local buyer and if its not then he (the dealer) needs to address his service department ...I teach my sales team to sell their product ..sell themselves ..sell the service department and finally sell the dealership ...it is ALL of value to the buyer or it should be.

As for dealership turnover I can understand the frustration ...emlpoyee retention is a very high priority at our store ...its like family ...

Dude
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2007, 09:30:11 AM »

I have just recently switched my deposit from a SERK to a SEUC. My rational being that the RK is bike that does both cruising and touring OK, but neither really well. Since I have CVO dyna for cruising, I think the SEUC is the right second bike for me.

Might as well sell the Dyna now.  I have had both and since I started sharing garage space with my Ultras the Dyna seldom leaves the barn.  I could have saved thousands if I would have figured this out a couple years ago.

Anyone interested in a black DWG3 with 800 miles [smiley=nixweiss.gif] ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 09:32:36 AM by Rjob749 »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2007, 09:54:59 AM »

[highlight]Might as well sell the Dyna now[/highlight].  I have had both and since I started sharing garage space with my Ultras the Dyna seldom leaves the barn.  I could have saved thousands if I would have figured this out a couple years ago.

Anyone interested in a black DWG3 with 800 miles [smiley=nixweiss.gif] ;D
I don't believe the "older you get the more you go towards a touring rig" thing.  I have been riding touring rigs since 1985, let's see that would have made me 31 then.  Everyone can call them "geezer-glides" or say you have to be old to buy a tourer, then I guess I've been "old" just about my entire motorcycling life.  I've ridden the cruisers, did the bug in the teeth thing for about 15 years and then got on a touring bike, and well, the rest is history.  I just like the feel of a touring bike...I like to get somewhere, anywhere, no matter how short or long the ride is, in comfort.  I like the fairing, the radio, the intercom, the cruise control, the lowers, the bags and tour pak, etc, etc,etc...when I'm in the mountains on the twisties, I don't care to see how fast I can take them, I'd rather enjoy the view.  If I wanted to take the twisties as fast as I could, I'd have bought a crotch-rocket.   I guess the whole Harley group is getting very old, as the touring rigs are their number one sellers now.  I was down at a dealership outside of Orlando last summer, and was talking to the sales manager.  He told me that he wished he could only get EG's, he can't keep them on the floor long enough to even show them.  The only EG he had on the floor was that Maryland State Police colored one (olive green and black  [smiley=puke.gif]).  He said nobody was interested in that one...wonder why.   Anyway, each to his own riding style and type of bike they desire...Cobalt, go with your heart and what you want...
cheers  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2007, 10:05:41 AM »

I don't believe the "older you get the more you go towards a touring rig" thing.  

I guess the whole Harley group is getting very old, as the touring rigs are their number one sellers now.  He told me that he wished he could only get EG's, he can't keep them on the floor long enough to even show them.  Red

Red, I don't think its the getting older that gets a guy onto a Glide, its getting smarter.  My first Harley was a brand new 76 FLH.  Although I ran a solo seat and no bags a lot.

When you are young you into appearance and the other bikes have a lot of emotional pull, but once you put your butt on a RK or Glide of some description there aren't many that would give one up.  And you know as far as the twisties etc. we always seem to pull in with (or ahead of) the guys on the boulevard bikes anyway [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 10:06:53 AM by Rjob749 »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »

Red, I don't think its the getting older that gets a guy onto a Glide, its getting smarter.  My first Harley was a brand new 76 FLH.  Although I ran a solo seat and no bags a lot.

When you are young you into appearance and the other bikes have a lot of emotional pull, but once you put your butt on a RK or Glide of some description there aren't many that would give one up.  And you know as far as the twisties etc. we always seem to pull in with (or ahead of) the guys on the boulevard bikes anyway [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Amen to everything you said Bro!!  If you're gonna ride, do it on a glide.  ;)
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

Xmas camel

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2007, 06:06:58 PM »

I hope I don't lose the urge to go out and hot-rod around town now and then. For that a 110 cu inch dyna that is 200 lbs lighter sounds perfect. We will see!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2007, 06:59:41 PM »

I hope I don't lose the urge to go out and hot-rod around town now and then. For that a 110 cu inch dyna that is 200 lbs lighter sounds perfect. We will see!

You won't if you don't want to. You can hot-rod anything! The FLH/FLT platform is basicaly similar to the FXR design, but beefier. The FXR was the best, handling hot-rod bike HD ever made. The Touring line echos that. It all depends what you want out of your bike. The bike won't hold you back, It's all up to you! ;) Hoist! 8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2007, 07:05:50 PM »

You won't loose the urge.  But when you have a radio and tunes and the wide open spaces you may find yourself not worrying about around town and going farther on a ride than you do now because of the comfort level which relaxes you more and relieves your thoughts of the day etc. etc.  Plus the back seat rider ratio improves when they are more comfortable and having a better time because of it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:06:42 PM by Rjob749 »

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2007, 07:10:06 PM »

You won't loose the urge.  But when you have a radio and tunes and the wide open spaces you may find yourself not worrying about around town and going farther on a ride than you do now because of the comfort level which relaxes you more and relieves your thoughts of the day etc. etc.  [highlight]Plus the back seat rider ratio improves when they are more comfortable and having a better time because of it[/highlight].
Ain't that the truth....if mama's happy when she's riding, then I'm happy...nothin worse than a spouse that's not happy and sitting behind you.... :o
cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

2012 FLHXSE3

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2007, 10:31:25 PM »

Cobalt, I got in on this conversation late but you might try Route 66 H-D in Tulsa.  They are great people and that's where I got my SERK after the local dealers all wanted MSRP + $2K.  Route 66 sold me the SERK for a couple of hundred over MSRP and the experience was great.  If you call there, ask for Raymond Duran.  Raymond is the sales manager.  I don't know if they have any SEEC's or not but it's worth a call.
Have you ever ridden an UC?  If not, I suggest you test ride one.  More comfortable, yes but they are more top heavy.  I have a friend that moved from Road Kings to an UC.  He (and his wife) love the comfort but he says he cannot do things like turn around in the middle of the road without his wife getting off because it is just harder to handle at that slow pace.
That makes the difference even greater when compared to the 07 SERK because it has a lower center of gravity and handles better than any bike I've ever ridden (ask Hoist about that).
Anyway, just my $0.02.  Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will be happy.  Good luck
Bob
some days you gets da bear, other days da bear gets you...

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2007, 12:54:25 AM »

RBMNTX,

Thanks for the info.  I have found some great leads from the folks on this board.  Didn't get much time to follow up today as all of my regional reps are in the office this week.

I appreciate the additional lead.  I will follow up.

As for the comment someone made earlier on just paying over MSRP vs. paying travel and/or shipping costs, I would rather pay a dealer that treats me fairly and does a great job in prepping the bike (and give him as much referral business as I can muster) vs. paying over MSRP.  I know this sounds illogical, but I 'll go through the extra steps to get one out of state or area vs. paying a dealer $2K over.  You just have to take a stand sometime.

Just for giggles, I asked one local dealer about an Ultra today.  He said $2K over and an extremely low ball offer on my trade. :-?  Wow, I just don't get it and I am in a similar business to what Harley dealers do (automotive).

Again, thanks for all of your help so far folks.  You guys are the best.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

rbmntx

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2007, 09:10:54 AM »

Just a thought, but have you checked places like hdtrader.com?  That site has lots of dealer ads and may give you an idea quickly of who may have a SEUC.
some days you gets da bear, other days da bear gets you...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.