Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Any feedback on rekluse 'auto' clutch?  (Read 11304 times)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Any feedback on rekluse 'auto' clutch?
« on: December 28, 2015, 09:09:57 PM »

looking to see if anyone has any feedback on the rekluse auto clutch for hd?  watched a couple of their videos and it seems very interesting.  wife likes the extra confidence that it could give when taking off on an incline.  and dealing with heavy traffic.

https://rekluse.com/product/harley-davidson-exp-clutch-kit/

also, what about their torqdrive as a replacement for the cvo assist and slip clutch?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Any feedback on rekluse 'auto' clutch?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 02:42:41 AM »

I did some research when I was looking at the rekluse auto clutch.  One thing I found, straight from the company:  Since the clutch is disengaged when the engine is stopped, you lose the "parking brake" effect of putting the bike in gear.  So don't park facing downhill.  Other than that, it seems like a big help for those who have difficulty with their clutch hand.  Hope it works out for you and wifey.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:04:51 AM »

OK, now that is sweet!  I said "cool" so much, my office mate turned around to see what I was viewing. 
I didn't see them at Black Hills HD this past year but I'm glad I didn't.  I would have been poorer in the wallet. 
That looks like a great product and if it works as stated over the long haul, would be a wonderful addition and save so much on the clutch hand in traffic.  Downtown Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge or rally traffic would be a breeze with the rekluse...... ;D

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:33:48 PM »

I did some research when I was looking at the rekluse auto clutch.  One thing I found, straight from the company:  Since the clutch is disengaged when the engine is stopped, you lose the "parking brake" effect of putting the bike in gear.  So don't park facing downhill.  Other than that, it seems like a big help for those who have difficulty with their clutch hand.  Hope it works out for you and wifey.

didn't think of that aspect, good to know.  i generally try to park in such a way that i don't have to try to push this big pig backwards uphill.  short legs you see..... but there could be other times that you could park downhill without it being a parking lot.  so that is a consideration. 

i could see between cruise control and this clutch, these old arthritic hands could catch a break.  :2vrolijk_21:  sometimes my knuckles just ache!

so you did research, what did you end up with?  and why?

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 05:05:13 PM »

I haven't done anything yet, but I think I'm going to try the Rekluse when it's time for a new clutch.  I have arthritis in the hand and tendonitis in the arm, so this will help a lot.

There are other auto clutches out there, but Rekluse has been in business a long time, and they make this one specifically for HDs, so it seems like the one to go with.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 06:45:36 PM »

I drove their demo bike at Daytona Bike Week.
Seems pretty neat. They say it will also work well with big horsepower. Takes some to get used to, and could be confusing if going back and forth with a standard clutch set up.
You need to find someone who has put mileage on one, to draw a conclusion.
John

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 10:20:22 PM »

You need to find someone who has put mileage on one, to draw a conclusion.
John

thats kinda what i was hoping for here.  i know no one in this area has one, hell, a lot of people around here think that customizing means 'stick a sticker on it'.....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 11:40:11 PM »

Just read this from beginning to this point.  The loss of any braking/stopping function when parked would be enough to keep me from trying this out.  You might think you can get by without that just fine; right up until the time you don't.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 12:46:14 AM »

I called the company when I blew up my clutch and was thinking about going their direction and they recommended against their standard rekluse due to my 124 and recommended their "torque" model which does not have the leverless feature fwiw.
Alan

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 02:32:48 AM »

I looked into one of these before since they are pretty neat and would be handy at times. The parking thing really isn't that big of an issue if you really want one. If the hill you park on is steep enough your bike will still creep in 1st gear anyway. I have a buddy I ride with that keeps his bike at another garage and the driveway is about 45* downhill. When I meet him there I turn my bike off while he is getting ready, put it in first, stay seated on the bike and it still creeps backwards if I don't hold one of the brakes. Well, just throw a little wheel chock in the saddlebag or pull the front brake lever on and use a little wedge of some sort to keep the brakes applied or do both if it makes you feel better. Remember some of those old quads or trikes that used a spring-loaded clip where you would squeeze the lever then push it in place to lock, then release the lever and the hydraulic pressure holds it in place til you squeeze harder to release it? A wedge would do the same thing so that problem is fixed.

Problem #2 ... This is a big "IF" and most likely would never happen BUT could so never say never. You are by yourself out in the sticks somewhere with no cel service and stop to take in the sights, have a smoke and a drink, take a break, whatever ... turn the bike off, leave the radio on kick back against a tree and fall asleep only to wake up and find your battery doesn't have enough balls to crank over the engine. No troubles, I'll just give it a little push, jump on, pop it in 2nd or 3rd, let the clutch rip and I'm good .... oooops, I forgot .... that doesn't work with a centrifugal clutch!

Problem 3 ... All your jealous buddies will rag on you for your "girly" auto-clutch that they really wished they had, but they blew their dough on more chrome do-dads to clean instead.

Last but not least is the price ... Are you willing to drop around $800 for it? I know that's not an issue for some and that's great, but some of us don't have that lying around to blow.     
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:35:28 AM by Phantom309 »
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 09:40:35 AM »

All good points, 309.  Your second point would only be for non fuel injected bikes. If you have no power, you have no fuel flow so no bump starting there anyway.  It would be an issue on carburetor scooters, however.... :2vrolijk_21:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »

Problem #2 ... This is a big "IF" and most likely would never happen BUT could so never say never. You are by yourself out in the sticks somewhere with no cel service and stop to take in the sights, have a smoke and a drink, take a break, whatever ... turn the bike off, leave the radio on kick back against a tree and fall asleep only to wake up and find your battery doesn't have enough balls to crank over the engine. No troubles, I'll just give it a little push, jump on, pop it in 2nd or 3rd, let the clutch rip and I'm good .... oooops, I forgot .... that doesn't work with a centrifugal clutch!

that isn't a problem, i keep a small lithium jumpstarter in my saddlebag.  plus, like haird mentioned, it's a small window for bump starting fi bikes anyway.

Problem 3 ... All your jealous buddies will rag on you for your "girly" auto-clutch that they really wished they had, but they blew their dough on more chrome do-dads to clean instead.

not that many people around here that i/we ride with.  most of them consider 50 miles a 'long' ride.

Last but not least is the price ... Are you willing to drop around $800 for it? I know that's not an issue for some and that's great, but some of us don't have that lying around to blow.     

and that there is an issue.  but, i do have some chrome cash that can knock that price down some so it isn't quite so painful.  and according to the mfg.  all their dealers will honor their 30 day money back guarantee.  waiting to hear back from them if they'll be at any closer rallies than sturgis next year to see it in person.  and there is always the income tax refund.....

just got an email from the company.  they'll be at bike week in daytona, and galveston next fall.  mancuso in houston comes recommended by them as well.  they offer a 10% military discount as well.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:16:53 PM by skratch »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 02:52:29 PM »

One thing that concern me about the centrifugal clutch is show speed parking lot turns where one normally feathers the clutch and possibly drags the rear brake to keep things (hopefully) under control.  Just wondering how much throttle one has to give to get the centrifugal clutch to engage and what minimum speed that equates to.  I wouldn't want to be forced to make those slow tight turns at a higher rate of speed that I would with a clutch I have full control over.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

msemersky

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 04:36:02 PM »

I've had my Rekluse installed at Sturgis in 2014 and love it. With the Sturgis traffic I figured it would come in handy and didn't think it would be a big deal when I got home to Chicago. It has ended up being one of my favorite mods on my bike. Super easy to use at low speed and so convenient when you do get in traffic. I also like that you can drive it like a normal clutch when you want too. I would highly recommend it. I've put about 9k miles on it and no issues at all. With parking on a hill they give you a strap for front brake. When engine is cold clutch holds. After engine warms up then it won't hold gear until you are above 1000 rpm. If you drive a modern dual clutch transmission in a car it engages in the same way. It reminds me of a Porsche PDK in first gear. Hope that helps.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 08:10:16 PM »

that does help.  thanks. 

i had the same concern about 'feathering' the clutch and using the 'friction zone' for low speed maneuvers also.  sounds like that is a non-issue.

gonna have to wait and see what the tax-man bringeth before i can commit to something like this.  just because some of us ride a cvo, that doesn't exactly mean we have money burning holes in our pockets.  or is the inverse?

anyway, filing this for future reference.  really do wish there was someone local where i could check it out in person......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 20 queries.