Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Dunflops  (Read 16813 times)

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Re: Dunflops
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2016, 11:14:07 AM »

I love the AE's on my '15 RGU... but I need to ask you guys, 15K on a set of motorcycle tires? Really? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but man these are heavy bikes and I just want a sticky tire with lots of tread. I changed mine out at 8K. They weren't quite due, but I was facing a 2,000 mile trip and for the sake of $500 I'm just not one to push the issue.
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »

just got the AE installed on the rear, of coarse it feels great as it always dose after getting the worn out cupped out tire changed out. i was getting 9k to12k out of the HD dunlop , so will see how the AE works out....44k miles on bike and 4 of the HD dunlops at 400. bucks a crack (installed)...at least this AE is a hundred bucks cheaper and will be a real bonus if it dont start cupping at 6 or 7k miles
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2016, 04:34:37 PM »

I love the AE's on my '15 RGU... but I need to ask you guys, 15K on a set of motorcycle tires? Really? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but man these are heavy bikes and I just want a sticky tire with lots of tread. I changed mine out at 8K. They weren't quite due, but I was facing a 2,000 mile trip and for the sake of $500 I'm just not one to push the issue.

the wife and I are getting ready to head out on a two week trip so I wanted to put new shoes on my ride.  I went with the ae, got them from j&p for a little over $320 for the set, plus a $40 rebate.

my old tires still had quite a bit of tread left, but I wanted to replace them due to cupping.  I was right at 20k.  this is my first tire replacement on this bike.  20k seems to be about the sweet spot for me on these new multi-tread tires from Dunlop.  changed out the set on my last bike at the same mileage.

so far am very pleased with the ride on the elites.  hope I get at least the same mileage out of them.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2016, 08:18:56 AM »

I don't judge tires by how many miles I get out of them, I'd rather have tires that grip in dry/wet conditions, have sidewalls stout enough for hard cornering, don't cup, are quiet and smooth. So far Avon, and Michelin meet my criteria. Metzler and the HD branded Dunlop do not. I am going to try AE, have heard good reviews.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2016, 11:37:05 PM »

I don't judge tires by how many miles I get out of them, I'd rather have tires that grip in dry/wet conditions, have sidewalls stout enough for hard cornering, don't cup, are quiet and smooth. So far Avon, and Michelin meet my criteria. Metzler and the HD branded Dunlop do not. I am going to try AE, have heard good reviews.
Why do the Metzlers not? was about to put them on
Alan

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 12:30:10 AM »

JP has 207 for rear and 148 for front...how did you pull off $320? or are you including the rebate off?
Will

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 07:50:13 AM »

Why do the Metzlers not? was about to put them on

I ran Metzlers for many years and thought them to be the best. Then about 2009 or 10 they switched from producing them in Germany to Brazil. At that time I ordered a set not knowing about the change. The tires were undersized, the 150 rear I had been used to now was the same width as a 130. Sidewalls weak and more failures reported on the tech sites than there should be. When I contacted Metzler/Pirelli, their techs were rude and customer service is non-existent. Failures were not air pressure related. Riding 2 up in a curve was downright scary. Some shops I know stopped dealing with them. Maybe they have cleaned up their act since then, but I'm off 'em for life.
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:56 PM »

JP has 207 for rear and 148 for front...how did you pull off $320? or are you including the rebate off?

I paid $120 for the front, and $211 for the rear, so it was $331 not $320.  I had also ordered some other stuff, so had just made a quick guesstimate based on what I remembered the other stuff costing.

interesting how much the price has changed in just a couple of weeks though.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

nytryder

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2016, 08:33:24 PM »

Guys I'm scratching my head here. My last 3 bikes have been RGs with slight engine mods. I don't beat on my bikes but am not geezer riding either. I'm in Fl and well over 90% of my riding is 2 up on really hot roads. It boggles my mind trying to understand how tires are wearing out at 10,000 mi or less. I would say it's the roads but many of my miles ridden are as far north as Maine. My wife is from just South of Green Bay Wi and we ride up there too. I've been in nearly every state east of the Mississippi River. When fully loaded we weigh in at 400#s +or- 10 or so #s. Just curious as to the huge differences in tire wear regardless of tire brands.

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2016, 02:54:03 AM »

I ran Metzlers for many years and thought them to be the best. Then about 2009 or 10 they switched from producing them in Germany to Brazil. At that time I ordered a set not knowing about the change. The tires were undersized, the 150 rear I had been used to now was the same width as a 130. Sidewalls weak and more failures reported on the tech sites than there should be. When I contacted Metzler/Pirelli, their techs were rude and customer service is non-existent. Failures were not air pressure related. Riding 2 up in a curve was downright scary. Some shops I know stopped dealing with them. Maybe they have cleaned up their act since then, but I'm off 'em for life.

I too had no issues with Metzelers until I had a set of Brazilian manufactured 880s on my 2013 Street Glide and they were lethal in the wet.  I did contact a couple of tyre retailers subsequently who told me their later stock was from Germany and China and shouldn't have the same issues but I opted for Avons instead.

On my current bike I'm using Dunlop AEs and while I believe they are generally an improvement on the HD Dunlops I'm still having issues on wet greasy roads, the rear spins up way too easily.  I really wish HD would work with one of their tyre partners to come up with a tyre with more focus on grip than longevity.   

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2016, 07:36:14 AM »

"I really wish HD would work with one of their tyre partners"

I also wish HD would quit changing wheel sizes like one changes their socks. Who can blame Avon and others for not re-tooling every other year.
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2016, 09:37:45 AM »

Guys I'm scratching my head here. My last 3 bikes have been RGs with slight engine mods. I don't beat on my bikes but am not geezer riding either. I'm in Fl and well over 90% of my riding is 2 up on really hot roads. It boggles my mind trying to understand how tires are wearing out at 10,000 mi or less. I would say it's the roads but many of my miles ridden are as far north as Maine. My wife is from just South of Green Bay Wi and we ride up there too. I've been in nearly every state east of the Mississippi River. When fully loaded we weigh in at 400#s +or- 10 or so #s. Just curious as to the huge differences in tire wear regardless of tire brands.
I've wondered as well and assume it's perhaps at least partially based on the riders perspective. When the "wear nubs" in the tread grooves are even with the tire surface, it's a manufacturers "legal liability" indicator it's time for new tires ......even though the tread depth is still (barely) legal. Conservative riders might regard the tire as "worn out" at that point .......but other (more frugal) riders might think there's plenty of tread left and ride on for another few thousand miles. Then there's the "bragging rights" thing LOL ;)!

I'm ready for new rubber and am considering either the Dunlop AE or Michelin Commander II. I've read the Michelin is made in China.............is the Dunlop the only tire now made in the USA?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2016, 09:52:48 AM »

I once again am pretty sure that no one but Dunlop meets the load rating on the big bikes. I have noticed that the AE's are slightly taller than the HD Dunlops. I have air ride on the rear and with the standard Dunlops it doesn't rub when I dump the air, on the AE's it will not roll?

BigLew

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2016, 10:00:48 AM »

Main reason I'm changing mine at 10k is they are at the ware indicator, they are cupped and noisey at about half life, have learned to live with the noise...wish I knew how I am causing the premature ware :nixweiss: or maybe I'm just hard on things
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2016, 10:13:42 AM »

I understand Freddy. With the new ones they get noisy and square much worse than the old ones. Flat spot in the middle where they are hard but fall off to the sidewall. Feels very dangerous. Hope the AR's are better.

BigLew
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.