Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Dunflops  (Read 16715 times)

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
Re: Dunflops
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 10:39:26 PM »

Noticed this weekend my 2015 stock Dunlops are beginning to whine with 11,000 miles on them.  Have not checked closely but assume they are starting to cup. I normally get 15k-18k out of the stock tires if they do not cause me to change them due to noise and cupping.  These may get changed early.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

BASTOS

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »

On my Dunlops on my 2011 TK, with the 18" rims, I averages 18K per set of tires. At 88 HP and 106 TQ. Not real high, but good riding tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 FLHTKSE
2011 FLHTK
2006 V-Max
1986 FJ1200
1986 FJ1200
1986 1000R Ninja
1983 Maxim
1974 400F SS

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2016, 07:07:41 PM »

I just installed AE's on my 2014 CVO Road Glide. They seem to ride a little harder than the Night Dragons I had on the bike. I'll keep everyone posted. I have Dunlops on and changed due to cupping and vibration. I'm waiting on Michelin to make the 18' tire for the rear them I'll change both. Had Michelin's on my 2007 Electra Glide and had no problem.
I'm in a similar scenario coming up on 13k miles on my original tires. For me, cupping has happened beginning around 6k-7k miles on my 2010 Limited, 2011 FLTRUSE and now on my 2015 FLTRUSE. Trying to decide between Dunlop AE's (a different design than the HD Dunlops) and Michelin Commander II's. I'd welcome any forum opinions to help me decide.

BTW, didn't think the Road Glide was manufactured in 2014 ..........am I wrong :nixweiss:?
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2016, 09:13:28 PM »

I'm in a similar scenario coming up on 13k miles on my original tires. For me, cupping has happened beginning around 6k-7k miles on my 2010 Limited, 2011 FLTRUSE and now on my 2015 FLTRUSE. Trying to decide between Dunlop AE's (a different design than the HD Dunlops) and Michelin Commander II's. I'd welcome any forum opinions to help me decide.

BTW, didn't think the Road Glide was manufactured in 2014 ..........am I wrong :nixweiss:?

I have no experience with the AE's but after getting less then 12k miles on the first rear Dunlop and then only about 11k on the second rear Dunlop on my 11.5 CUSE6 I had a pair of the Commander II's installed and I think they are a better tire.  I have about 7k miles on them and no signs of cupping, handling has been improved over the OE Dunlops, and the wet traction has been good.

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2016, 08:22:24 AM »

Bruce, Coming up on 12k on my stock Dunlops and beginning to get a little whine.  Thinking of trying the Michelin's.  I've always just let Bumpus replace with original tires in the past because it was so easy and they gave me a discount.  No preordering or hauling tires, just go in tell them whats needed and look around the dealership for about an hour, leave with fresh tires.  If they find warranty items in the process they take care of that as well.  If I go with the Michelin's I may let the independent shop over near Triune on Hwy 96 mount them.  Friend in Franklin has had good work from them.  Shop name is Hooligans.  Their young mechanic is prior HD dealership mechanic for what that's worth.  Bumpus will mount Michelins if I order through their Drag Specialties supplier which is near retail price.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

CJB2011

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2016, 10:52:51 AM »

S
Sorry. I hit the wrong key. It's 2011. Had a senior moment.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2016, 12:33:56 PM »

Bruce, Coming up on 12k on my stock Dunlops and beginning to get a little whine.  Thinking of trying the Michelin's.  I've always just let Bumpus replace with original tires in the past because it was so easy and they gave me a discount.  No preordering or hauling tires, just go in tell them whats needed and look around the dealership for about an hour, leave with fresh tires.  If they find warranty items in the process they take care of that as well.  If I go with the Michelin's I may let the independent shop over near Triune on Hwy 96 mount them.  Friend in Franklin has had good work from them.  Shop name is Hooligans.  Their young mechanic is prior HD dealership mechanic for what that's worth.  Bumpus will mount Michelins if I order through their Drag Specialties supplier which is near retail price.

Good info to know about Bumpus and the tires. The dealer I used back when I was in CT gave me a good price no matter what brand of tire I purchased (I have Metzlers on the Fatboy). So next time I need tires I'll have to do a little comparison shopping.

Do you know if Bumpus will mount/balance them if I mail order the tires? That would be nice since they are so close to home.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2016, 01:56:25 PM »

They told me once before the tires had to be purchased through them and could be any tire they could get from their usual suppliers.  That's the reason I mention the independent shop but then you have to deal with hauling tires to them or removing rims yourself.  I know Bumpus get items from Drag Specialties and will give the MVP discount on them, not sure about other dealer supply companies they use.  Drag Specialties price with MVP discount is still several dollars higher than Jake Wilson but I guess convenience is worth something.  They were about an hour labor a tire last I had done.  I suspect rears are a bit more than front.  I'm seriously considering having them order in Michelin Commander's next go around and have them mount them even if its a bit more than the stock tires.  Just want a good tire that lasts until the tread wears out without developing a defect.

With the independent shop you get cheaper tire purchase and cheaper labor rate but have to deal with hauling tires or rims.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 02:00:34 PM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2016, 08:59:06 PM »

Hauling tires to the shop is easy - that's what bungie cords/nets are for  ;)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 08:17:57 PM »

got my $40 rebate handled today, card is in the mail.  :drink:

got this set for $320, which is more reasonable than alternative HD branded dunlops.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 10:27:32 AM »

My whining in the front wheel area is getting more pronounced at about 12,500 miles.  It seems to be present mostly when running straight at about 55-60 mph and is independent of rpm, gear or clutch engagement.  Front tire is not worn out yet but think I'm going to go ahead and replace with a Commander II and ask that the wheel bearing and brake pads be checked in the process.  My hearing is not what it used to be but pretty sure its coming from the front wheel as I hear it coming up through the fork opening of the fairing.  Surprisingly rear seems to still have about half its tread left.  I'll get it replaced in a few weeks before Maggie Valley GTG so I have time to break it in.  Don't like running mismatched tires but should be OK for a couple of months.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

911Shark

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2016, 12:00:20 AM »

15 CVO stock Dunlops. Just took off w 13897! No cupping and I still had another 500 to go! Put on the Metzler 888s for my 29 day 7k trip across country. Will compare.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 10:25:54 AM »

Have always ran Harley Dunlaps on my bikes, never had the cupping issue in over 30 years.  Maintain 40 to 42 lbs. front and rear.  May just be dumb luck but always get over 10k miles rear and 15k front.  Just had a new rear put on, old one had tread left and over 10k but figured change it for the new season before I get out on the road and have a issue.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

nytryder

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »

My '12 RGU started cupping bad at 6000 mi. My '15 RGUCVO has been wailing since about 4500 mi. I run 42-44 in rear and 40-42 in front. My fronts never cup but the rears do. Most of my riding 95% 2 up is just normal riding. I live in Fl so not a lot of twisty riding. I don't do burnouts or 100 mph riding. Just normal touring stuff. I have never had any type of tire problems until the "new" Dunlops arrived. As a matter of fact the Dunlops were always my go to tire. May have to try the Michelins next. I could get 18-20,000 mi out of a rear 402. I'm easy on tires.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2016, 10:10:31 AM »

Just peered at the Tires on Ol' Maybelle.  5000 miles.  The last 1200 of these miles are on the Big Motor, and obviously, I've run her a lot harder.  I can see a few flat spots, but nothing noticeable in feel, or sound, as of yet.  I dropped from 40 to 38 in the rear, and from 38 to 36 in the front.  Front looks like new, btw.  I'd say another 1000 or so miles, will be the life of that rear tire.  That's about 2000 more miles than I ever got out of the 16" on Ol' Maudie.  Big torque shortens the life of a rear tire.  Just another flea that comes with a "modified dog."  I don't ever do burn-outs, and the only time I power-shift is when neccessary, from 5th to 6th.  I think I stated somewhere I might consider Michelins next time, but I doubt it.  Pretty much set in my ways about MC tires.  I tried AVONS and Metzgers one time way back, and was very disapppointed.  Compound seemed too hard, to me.  Dangerous in the rain!  Nothing grips like a Dunlop, rain or shine.  To me, anyway.  Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 20 queries.