Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: I don't want to be associated with HD  (Read 18723 times)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: I don't want to be associated with HD
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 07:52:34 AM »

Several months back I had an engine problem on my nearly new CVO. HD didn't stand behind the product and that upset me. I vowed to sell my bike over it.

Please elaborate about the opening statement you made in regard to problems with HD and customer service.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 08:12:45 AM »

Please elaborate about the opening statement you made in regard to problems with HD and customer service.

TN
See this thread - Whole in the case.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 08:38:31 AM »

TN

To make a long story short, he bought the bike in the US and shipped it back to Israel.  At approximately 2000 km something let go in the bottom end and holed the crankcase.  Since it was a US bike that he exported to Israel, Harley chose to void the US warranty and screw him over.  While they were within their legal rights to void the warranty, IMHO it was a very chitty thing to do.  But considering the other things Harley has done over the past decade or two, it's not surprising.  I fully understand why he has no further use for H-D.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 08:56:54 AM »

Yitzak,

Sorry to hear you had problems with your bike. It does sound like a lemon. Sometimes you get them, my 2001 Ultra was a lemon, went through a stator every year or so. My 2006 CVO Ultra has been bullet proof. Best bike I have ever owned. Before buying your next bike, study and review consumer reports about repair and reliability. You will be surprised to find that HD may rank higher than BMW in this category.

Like EVERY segment of society you will find people who rub you the wrong way. I do not believe it is limited only to folks who ride HD. If you choose to limit your association by brands, you will find the world a limited place. I try and remember that it is the man and not the machine that makes the biggest difference. The machine is merely an extension of the man, and if the man is a Jerk, his machine will be seen likewise.

I do believe that regardless of whatever brand you migrate to, you will find jerks. There are jerks on BMWs, Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas, Victory, Can-Am, Ducati, Kawasakis, Triumph, and Ural. There will be those who sport tattoos, speak loudly and brashly and hog the road with their selfish acts. You come across them every day. Only you can make the decisions that most comfortably suit your lifestyle. All I'm saying is that if you think in one specific brand you will discover a utopia of well behaved, shaved, polite, properly manicured and ink free riders you are sadly mistaken.

Here, in the US we all make fun of each other to some degree. The sport bike riders call HD riders "The Village People" because they wear leather chaps and vests. The HD Riders call the sport bike riders "Power Rangers" because they dress in loud and colorful racing suits, and The GoldWing/BMW riders are often called "EuroTrash", because their long distance bikes are usually filthy as the riders see layers of bugs, grime, and dirt as badges of honor.  But I guarantee no matter which group you gravitate to you will find the jerks, or more accurately, the jerks will find you.

I loved your statement that HD needs to rebrand it's image. That image has been carefully marketed and advertised for over 100 years. The true product that HD sells is not motorcycle, but the image of Freedom and Independence. Truth be told, ANY motorcycle can do what the other does, simple fact. So to get you to buy their product, they sell you the concept of freedom and independence. And for HD that image is the open road on a black bike wearing HD clothes and attending massive HOG rallys, the antithesis of what freedom and independence is.  And in that, you will find jerks.

Regardless of whatever brand you buy for whatever reason you choose, know that you are still welcome here. Although this is a CVO forum, and the members mostly ride CVO, know that we have members who do not. Many of our members "graduate" to BMWs. Some ride GoldWings, and some like you have sold their bikes but still remain.

When I finally get to meet you in person, I hope this 5'8", 160lb, bald, tattoo free, non-smoking, rule following, Shakespeare quoting asian does not rub you the wrong way. But if I do, please know that's me, and not my machine.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:01:47 AM by Ironhorse »
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »

Yitzak,

Sorry to hear you had problems with your bike. It does sound like a lemon. Sometimes you get them, my 2001 Ultra was a lemon, went through a stator every year or so. My 2006 CVO Ultra has been bullet proof. Best bike I have ever owned. Before buying your next bike, study and review consumer reports about repair and reliability. You will be surprised to find that HD may rank higher than BMW in this category.

Like EVERY segment of society you will find people who rub you the wrong way. I do not believe it is limited only to folks who ride HD. If you choose to limit your association by brands, you will find the world a limited place. I try and remember that it is the man and not the machine that makes the biggest difference. The machine is merely an extension of the man, and if the man is a Jerk, his machine will be seen likewise.

I do believe that regardless of whatever brand you migrate to, you will find jerks. There are jerks on BMWs, Hondas, Suzukis, Yamahas, Victory, Can-Am, Ducati, Kawasakis, Triumph, and Ural. There will be those who sport tattoos, speak loudly and brashly and hog the road with their selfish acts. You come across them every day. Only you can make the decisions that most comfortably suit your lifestyle. All I'm saying is that if you think in one specific brand you will a utopia of well behaved, shaved, polite, properly manicured and ink free riders you are sadly mistaken.

Here, in the US we all make fun of each other to some degree. The sport bike riders call HD riders "The Village People" because they wear leather chaps and vests. The HD Riders call the sport bike riders "Power Rangers" because they dress in loud and colorful racing suits, and The GoldWing/BMW riders are often called "EuroTrash", because their long distance bikes are usually filthy as the riders see layers of bugs, grime, and dirt as badges of honor.  But I guarantee no matter which group you gravitate to you will find the jerks, or more accurately, the jerks will find you.

I loved your statement that HD needs to rebrand it's image. That image has been carefully marketed and advertised for over 100 years. The true product that HD sells is not motorcycle, but the image of Freedom and Independence. Truth be told, ANY motorcycle can do what the other does, simple fact. So to get you to buy their product, they sell you the concept of freedom and independence. And for HD that image is the open road on a black bike wearing HD clothes and attending massive HOG rallys, the antithesis of what freedom and independence is.  And in that, you will find jerks.

Regardless of whatever brand you buy for whatever reason you choose, know that you are still welcome here. Although this is a CVO forum, and the members mostly ride CVO, know that we have members who do not. Many of our members "graduate" to BMWs. Some ride GoldWings, and some like you have sold their bikes but still remain.

When I finally get to meet you in person, I hope this 5'8", 160lb, bald, tattoo free, non-smoking, rule following, Shakespeare quoting asian does not rub you the wrong way. But if I do, please know that's me, and not my machine.

Mark

Wow Mark.  I've never quite seen "kiss my arse" written with such wonderful prose... :huepfenlol2:

Seriously, very well said and so true in all your statements, sir.

Yitsak, best wishes to you in wherever the road takes you and with whatever you decide to ride on it.  Keep it between the ditches.

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2020 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 09:08:01 AM »

I have owned 7 different motorcycle marques. 11 of my bikes have been Harleys, although I started with my Norton 850 Commando. I currently have a 2014 RK CVO, a 2012 Triumph Thunderbird and a Vespa 300 GTi. I have also owned a Victory within the past 2 years. I follow the forums on each of the brands I own and there always is one common theme:
the manufacturer sucks with a long list of gripes about product flaws etc. Even Apple gets these same complaints.

Many of the complaints are valid, although customer reviews and ratings for e-commerce is rapidly changing that space as far as customer service. The bottom line in customer service really ends with the dealership and what they are willing to do to preserve a loyal and long term relationship.

As far as HD, they seem to be no better or worse than the other brands I have had. I suspect with the recent sales challenges, they will be more accommodating. They already are far better than many other in test rides. Try to test a Metric bike in southern Florida.

BUT as far as the HD image, lifestyle, and community, no one has come close to their success. In the end a motorcycle for most of us, especially those of us on this forum with CVOs, are not measured by "value" or practicality, they have none; we don't require a motorcycle. The measure is lifestyle, enjoyment, and the intangible returns from an impractical purchase done primarily for the fun of it. As you might guess I love motorcycles, but the intangible return for me is the real "value" of my Harley and no other bike has it at that level. That being said this is a very unfortunate set of events.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 09:10:47 AM »

You'll find law enforcement officers and ex-cons both riding Harley Davidson....some with good experiences with the MoCo and some with bad experiences with the MoCo.  At times, you'll even find them riding together but please, don't judge one by the actions of another.  Jusayinzall.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 09:33:38 AM »

I don't disagree with everything you've said quoted above. I do think the wannabe's are a negative for this brand however.

I was riding in Northern California recently just before deciding to sell, in a city called Santa Cruz. Wonderful roads. A great place called Alice's in the area which I stopped in for lunch. Many loud pipes ridden by tattooed and long mustache men. Ok, no problem. But they talk in a way that represents the brand poorly. A group of four left the restaurant about ten minutes in front me me. Within 20 minutes I arrived at a traffic jam of no less than 15 cars. I passed each until I could get to the bus blocking the way. The problem is, it was not a bus at all. It was the four Harley's refusing to move over for the traffic that they were holding up. Their badass persona had them projecting the image of they're the greatest and nobody should mess with them. It was completely selfish to block traffic and with total disregard for the number of vehicles behind them, to block the road. That was the straw that broke the camel back. I didn't want to be associated with thy crowd no more. That sight is too often seen for me to be comfortable representing myself as supporting this lifestyle. One must always think of others.
    Gotta be careful in Santa Cruz and Alice's It"s  a Del Fuegos Hang out . They will get you in trouble and before you know it they"ve got you buying Alumin siding for your house
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 10:03:38 AM »

Well said, Mark!   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 10:15:10 AM »

Now I travel in the US and I see "wanna be badasses" on their HD. Barely clothed, long mustache, and usually tattoos. Without a doubt, these people are on HD the majority of the time. They are obnoxious and call attention to themselves; revving at lights, or just having stupidly loud pipes. This persona doesn't represent me.

Certainly, I am not the only one to feel this way. I think HD needs to work hard to clean up the image, as do we as riders.

You are not alone in the way you see others, the negatives do not fit my persona either but I choose to make my own image. Just like anything else we do in life, whether it is our religious beliefs, our political ideology, or our careers, there are some among us that we may share a common interest or belief with but, aside from that, we have nothing else in common. Those few that we are not in agreement with shouldn't taint the pleasure or satisfaction we get from our common interests.

I enjoy fishing and hunting and do those things quite often, observing the rules and regulations at all times. I am also aware there are fishermen and hunters that will neglect every rule, get caught and bring negative attention to those of us who play by the rules. The rule breakers have and will continue to cause those of us who are more ethical to endure closer scrutiny and harsher regulations, they can not take away my passion for the sport though. It is up to the individual to project the image that best represents their own core beliefs. Best of luck to you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:28:30 AM by TinSpinner »

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 11:46:09 AM »

Get yourself a BMW K1600GTL. At least the Harley guys won't run you off the road on that bike.

I am still laughing!  (about the video)    :D

M
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 04:14:25 PM by AMEDD_SFC »

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »

I don't disagree with everything you've said quoted above. I do think the wannabe's are a negative for this brand however.

I was riding in Northern California recently just before deciding to sell, in a city called Santa Cruz. Wonderful roads. A great place called Alice's in the area which I stopped in for lunch. Many loud pipes ridden by tattooed and long mustache men. Ok, no problem. But they talk in a way that represents the brand poorly. A group of four left the restaurant about ten minutes in front me me. Within 20 minutes I arrived at a traffic jam of no less than 15 cars. I passed each until I could get to the bus blocking the way. The problem is, it was not a bus at all. It was the four Harley's refusing to move over for the traffic that they were holding up. Their badass persona had them projecting the image of they're the greatest and nobody should mess with them. It was completely selfish to block traffic and with total disregard for the number of vehicles behind them, to block the road. That was the straw that broke the camel back. I didn't want to be associated with thy crowd no more. That sight is too often seen for me to be comfortable representing myself as supporting this lifestyle. One must always think of others.

'Very familiar with Alice's and the area, all very twisty 2 lanes throughout the surrounding forests, usually a fair amount of traffic.

Yea those big burley "biker types" with the hairy faces, tattoos, and loud pipes, scare me too, just not nearly as much as the asshat that was passing (15+ vehicles) because they were impatient, another dumbass on a Harley ...

'Still feelin' queasy, 'think I'm going to hurl again... 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 02:02:06 PM »

My 2 cents!  Sorry you had such bad luck with your Harley.  Lemons can occur in any brand.  I don't worry about what other people think and I don't judge other people especially by what they wear or how they live. I make my option on the actions taken.  I have found most riders are good people and will all help out regardless of what you are riding. There are also some that are just an a...ss which you will find anywhere.  I find most people that are riding for years simply love to ride. The ones starting out still think it all about being cool and most will get rid of their bike within a year or so or they just sit in the garage (again to look cool).  Harley has a look that I like in bikes (old school). I have owned many brands and enjoyed riding each when I had them but when I could finally get the HAWG I loved the ride and love to ride. Yes I have tattoos, yes I am independent, no large mustache but rather a trimmed mustache and beard and yes I have been known to not follow the rules.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 02:07:02 PM »

Although I agree with all the comments regarding his past experience with the MoCo and all good reason to give up on Harley......... The main body of "this" thread is lame at best......... I'm sorry but that's a pretty piss poor reason to not want to be associated with Harley's. Harley riders / "Bikers" overall, are the friendliest most giving individuals you will find anywhere.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

rockytop117

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 03:12:24 PM »

'Very familiar with Alice's and the area, all very twisty 2 lanes throughout the surrounding forests, usually a fair amount of traffic.

Yea those big burley "biker types" with the hairy faces, tattoos, and loud pipes, scare me too, just not nearly as much as the asshat that was passing (15+ vehicles) because they were impatient, another dumbass on a Harley ...

'Still feelin' queasy, 'think I'm going to hurl again...
Winner, winner chicken dinner!
11 SERG.
117ci
570G S&S
RB RACING 2-1
SE 58MM TB
HPI INJECTORS
WFO LARRY HEADS
COMP 10:2 CCP 190
DIRECT LINK TUNE BY STROKERJLK
SAE128.09/STD131.32 HP  TQ135.89 std 139.31
RC COMPONENTS WHEELS & A/C
VPC 92 CLUTCH
FOSGATE AMP, FOCAL SPEAKERS
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 21 queries.