Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: EZ Pass placement  (Read 24387 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: EZ Pass placement
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2014, 12:39:29 PM »

I used to have mine mounted at the front of the right saddlebag lid, but at a few select toll booths, I consistently had a problem with reading them.  I now just keep it in my windshield bag and I haven't had any problems with it in there.  When I had the problems in the past, they still matched things up using my license plate to charge me appropriately.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2014, 01:37:42 PM »

I have one for when I ride through IL. Keeping in the Tourpack. I really don't care if it reads or not.

If it does not read and their camera see my license plate they will just automatically draw the amount since the plate is linked to the ipass.

If the camera don't see my plate under the Tourpack it's really not my problem  :2vrolijk_21:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »

Well this area is finally going to get tolls and the E-ZPass system...... :wall:

For those of you who have had to use the transponders do you have any updates on what works or doesn't work?

Quote from Virginia's website about motorcycle use....

26. Can I get an E-ZPass transponder for my motorcycle?

Yes. However, we do not currently have a transponder that is designed for use with motorcycles. The transponder is designed to function best at an angle, similar to the one created by the windshield of a passenger vehicle. A transponder mounted on a motorcycle is at the customer's "own risk and liability." Please call 1-877-762-7824 for additional information and assistance.

I wonder if the Virginia transponder is waterproof or could withstand motorcycle vibration?

I "use" to keep mine under the fairing. But after a couple of multiple toll charges for when the bike is in the camper I pulled it out.
I now keep it attached to the inside, left side saddlebag lid, same orientation that it would be if on a windshield.

New Jersey EZPass recently sent me a new transponder for the bike since mine was of the original batch. It is the new small style and most of the time does not work, so i sent it back and am stilling using a spare car tag.

On the occasion that the tag does not register the toll - the picture and plate don't miss.

My Old, Big EZpass lived inside the fairing for 5 years, Tywrapped on top of the radio.  Stopped triggering the tolls, and EZPass service center said that was a fairly normal life span.  Got the new one, about 1/3 the size, put in the same location.  Works great.  

The first one came with a note, saying to only use it on the motorcycle, as it was set up for one, as some tolls are different for bikes vs cars.  

Over the years since our illustrious governor decided to pay for the system in NJ with toll violators, NJ has since eliminated, off peak, express lane, motorcycle discounts etc. Went from no charge for paper statements to a monthly fee. When everyone stopped the mail statements they added a $1 monthly fee just so you have the privilege of saving them money.

I used to have mine mounted at the front of the right saddlebag lid, but at a few select toll booths, I consistently had a problem with reading them.  

Yeah - all those old PA tollbooths with gates ......................
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2014, 01:54:29 PM »

I hate that they pass a law or policy etc. without knowing it will work in the real world. Such as require a transponder on a bike but then not make one to fit a bike and to work 100% of the time. Those who don't worry about the transponder and just let the photo license registration technique work....in Virginia you will be charged about double for that toll.
Also read that in Chesapeake Virginia on the expressway they have EZ Pass lanes you can use but on weekends it's $3.00 for cars since it's peak time, if a bike uses the old lane with toll taker they charge bikes $1.00 but  if a bike with a transponder uses the EZ Pass lane they get billed $3.00 since their system can't tell a bike from a car?????
The governor approved a "toll reduction" for the first year, then a price bump for the next year or two then the full price and allowing price increases for the next 50+ years! Kind of like cooking the frog routine for us drivers...small increase in tolls until we are used to paying and just take it........

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »

Our former governer, the one who said the 9-11 pile was safe, planned the ezpass to be bankrolled by toll scofflaws!

The new Jersey estimate for toll cheats at the time was hovering around 110-112 MILLION dollars a year. Surely these cheats would pay for teh $750 million installation in as little as 7 years.

The reality though is that toll cheating dropped significantly to an average of 8-10 million per year.
So, all the discounts went out the window with the loose change being thrown in the baskets.

MV 2013

mslcpa

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2014, 07:21:33 PM »

My vehicles (cars and bikes) are all registered to my EZ Pass account. Don't need to have the transponder present. Tolls charged to account based on license plate. No penalties or adminstrative charges, at least on the east coast. Check with your local EZ Pass agency.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2014, 09:51:23 PM »

My vehicles (cars and bikes) are all registered to my EZ Pass account. Don't need to have the transponder present. Tolls charged to account based on license plate. No penalties or adminstrative charges, at least on the east coast. Check with your local EZ Pass agency.

That is an issue in Delaware with Jersey plates

MV 2013

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »

I hate that they pass a law or policy etc. without knowing it will work in the real world. Such as require a transponder on a bike but then not make one to fit a bike and to work 100% of the time. Those who don't worry about the transponder and just let the photo license registration technique work....in Virginia you will be charged about double for that toll.
Also read that in Chesapeake Virginia on the expressway they have EZ Pass lanes you can use but on weekends it's $3.00 for cars since it's peak time, if a bike uses the old lane with toll taker they charge bikes $1.00 but  if a bike with a transponder uses the EZ Pass lane they get billed $3.00 since their system can't tell a bike from a car?????
The governor approved a "toll reduction" for the first year, then a price bump for the next year or two then the full price and allowing price increases for the next 50+ years! Kind of like cooking the frog routine for us drivers...small increase in tolls until we are used to paying and just take it........

You need to have a motorcycle assigned EZ-Pass.  This is from my account:

010 - VDOT   Interior   Active   2 axles, 4 tires (up to 7,000 lbs) = class 72   72   Pearl
010 - VDOT   Interior   Active   2 axles, 4 tires (up to 7,000 lbs) = class 72   72   Pearl
010 - VDOT   Interior   Active   2 axles, 2 or 3 tires (includes trikes or a side car. Up to 7,000 lbs) = class 136   136   Pearl

So, apparently, you can have an EZ-Pass assigned to a motorcycle instead of using the automobile one on your bike.  That being said, I have used the EZ-Pass from my Land Rover on a loaner bike when mine was in the shop.  The 495 EZ-Pass Express lanes in NOVA recognized the vehicle as being a MC and charged me $0.00 on the transaction.  I have used the Chesapeake Expressway with the transponder and only been charged $1.00.  While they say that they do not offer a "Motorcycle Transponder", they mean that it's not rated to be mounted on a bare bike.  You absolutely should have a transponder registered as a MC. 

Interesting corollary to your experience.  When pulling a trailer with the bike and paying cash, it's a toss up whether I get charged for 2 or 3 axles.  Most will only charge the standard rate, but occasionally I have had to pay the much higher 3 axle rate (Skyway into Chicago cost me $7.00).  EZ-Pass always charges the lower rate.  I rode with a friend up to NJ to pick up a 2 axle travel trailer.  We asked at the toll booth if we could pull the trailer thru the express lanes and they said "no problem".

YMMV
Spada84
NoSofa!

Mutant

• NH

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout (Red)
    • CVO2: 2022 RG Limited (Hightail Yelow)
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2014, 05:19:52 PM »

I live in NH but have my EZ Pass from NY. They have a specific "M" pass for motorcycles. Initially I tried my auto pass and got flagged with the yellow warning light. Now with my "M" pass I am ok as long as it is mounted on the left handlebar. Ugly but it works every time. It will not work in my leather jacket pocket. The NY group have been very helpful and courteous.
Life is short - Create Adventure

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »

I have a cool black vinyl pouch made by Kuryakyn which is made for the EZ Pass transponder.  it has a rubber stretch band that can be wrapped around anything like  handlebars, engine bars etc and stays really secure.  I attach mine to the passenger grab strap just behind me.
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »

I have a cool black vinyl pouch made by Kuryakyn which is made for the EZ Pass transponder.  it has a rubber stretch band that can be wrapped around anything like  handlebars, engine bars etc and stays really secure.  I attach mine to the passenger grab strap just behind me.

What is the part # ??? I like to look in to one.
DND
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.