Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Fluid Changing 101  (Read 7956 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Fluid Changing 101
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2007, 10:56:40 PM »

Only if you use it to spell H O N D A

Good.  I planned to use it to spell goat effer, so it must be ok.

;)
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2007, 10:56:55 PM »

It seemed odd, since the Amsoil websites trash Syn-3 - no quarter given.  Amway woud have a 'free' bar of soap with each quart or a 'complimentary air freshener.   :huepfenlol2:

The veracity of the mystery button remains a pillar of truth by comparison.  :huepfenjump3:

Is dumping used oil in the middle of my neighbors yard considered bad form?   :nixweiss:
I've been surfing some of the sites tonight. Looks like most of the formal test results if you will place Amsoil as #1 and Mobil-1 as #2. Syn-3 is about #6 on the totem pole.

As far as you oil dumping, only if you get caught !  :bananarock:

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2007, 08:49:52 AM »

Appreciate the posting TCnBham. I currently do not service my own scoot, just too many warranty issues with her to this point. Since having the motor replaced, runs like a champ. I am now considering doing it on my own. The 5000 service will be done next week, prob the last by the dealer.

SOKOOL

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2007, 08:33:08 AM »

Syn-3 is Sunoco, not Amsoil.
Although the Milk/Anti-Freeze jug etc will work. Drag Specialties sells a nice little half round plastic oil filter drain deal with a notch for the connector on the engine and a drain that extends down from the outer end to allow the oil to drain into a pan. No fuss, no mess. Insert it under the oil filter, twist it toward the engine and drain.
I have had one since 2000 so I do not remember the part number, but it is still in the Big Book if you look. It is also easy to clean, wipe out with a paper towel, then wash with a little Dawn, use again next time.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2007, 09:24:54 AM »

Boatman,
Yes..... it does help.... thanks.
That's exactly why I opened the dialog for us new wrenchers.
I see 2 things I did wrong, the one and only time I changed the oil myself. I DID put it on my lift instead of the side stand, and I didn't put on new o-rings.
Thanks for those other tips...

Keep em coming guys  :2vrolijk_21:
Go to www.fixmyhog.com these guys offer a DVD step by step maintenance guide and it's a piece of cake to follow.  It even covers the tools you need to buy.
Happy wrenching

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2007, 11:09:37 AM »

Syn-3 is Sunoco, not Amsoil.
Although the Milk/Anti-Freeze jug etc will work. Drag Specialties sells a nice little half round plastic oil filter drain deal with a notch for the connector on the engine and a drain that extends down from the outer end to allow the oil to drain into a pan. No fuss, no mess. Insert it under the oil filter, twist it toward the engine and drain.
I have had one since 2000 so I do not remember the part number, but it is still in the Big Book if you look. It is also easy to clean, wipe out with a paper towel, then wash with a little Dawn, use again next time.
DW6019,
Thanks I'll check out the fat book on that... sounds like the trick

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2007, 11:10:51 AM »

Go to www.fixmyhog.com these guys offer a DVD step by step maintenance guide and it's a piece of cake to follow.  It even covers the tools you need to buy.
Happy wrenching
Smiler,
I was looking at their site last week and was curious if anyone had tried them and what their thoughts were.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2007, 05:20:17 PM »

That's a good picture. While it may be old hat for the vets, the newbees need a helping hand to get started. :)
Here, here

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2007, 11:45:26 AM »

Regarding the oil filter change, I have installed the new Definite 5 filter system and I have to say, ability to totally avoid the oil dripping all over the motor alone makes the mod worth while. Prior, I tried every trick and nothing really worked well.

Now with the D5 installed, you leave the bike on the kick stand, loosen the cap, and there are holes in the perimeter. All you need is a little funnel and walla, the entire job now is a total cinch.

One of the best mods I've done!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2007, 12:30:18 PM »

Regarding the oil filter change, I have installed the new Definite 5 filter system and I have to say, ability to totally avoid the oil dripping all over the motor alone makes the mod worth while. Prior, I tried every trick and nothing really worked well.

Now with the D5 installed, you leave the bike on the kick stand, loosen the cap, and there are holes in the perimeter. All you need is a little funnel and walla, the entire job now is a total cinch.

:worthless:

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2007, 01:40:17 PM »

Where did you purchase this ?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »

I've been surfing some of the sites tonight. Looks like most of the formal test results if you will place Amsoil as #1 and Mobil-1 as #2. Syn-3 is about #6 on the totem pole.

I read quite a bit when surfing for the HD oil manufacturer - after I found Sunoco.  Lots of sites put up by lots of Amsoil folks, so I tend to be more than a mite skeptical when somebody selling something trashes their competition.  No need for dissing if their product is truly superior, IMHO.  I know folks using all 3, who are pleased with all 3.  Most important is regular changes and regular maintenance - both dependent upon riding styles and conditions.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2007, 03:01:10 PM »

$270.00 ???? Wowsa!!!  :vrolijk27: Too rich for my wallet. I'll stick to the 29 cent rag and a catch pan, thank you. JMHO.

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2007, 03:31:32 PM »

$270.00 ???? Wowsa!!!  :vrolijk27: Too rich for my wallet. I'll stick to the 29 cent rag and a catch pan, thank you. JMHO.

:vrolijk27:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.