Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: New Handlebar Heater  (Read 17676 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: New Handlebar Heater
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2007, 09:35:07 PM »

Don, you can count me in (if Terry does it, 'cause I know he or you one will walk me thru any install probs)  :nervous: har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2007, 09:38:15 PM »

Is anyone feel they are using a better grip than the stock ones on an 05 SEEG2?
What do users of the Kuryakyn ISO grips think of them compared to the 05 SEEG2 stock grips?

Bob, speaking specifically to the grips without concern about warming elements of any kind I've been a fan of the ISO grips for a long long time.  Put them on the red bike when it was new.  Maybe two weeks old.  Immediatley upon doing so my hands went "ahhh, home again."

I don't even think they are the best looking grip out there.  They're not bad.  But there are others with better looks to them.  But the feel is great. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2007, 09:40:53 PM »

Don, you can count me in (if Terry does it, 'cause I know he or you one will walk me thru any install probs)  :nervous: har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder

Spyder, Terry's bike will have the heated grips stock.  So he might opt to fight warranty on his rather than going this way; at least for the duration of the warranty.  Of course he might also take advantage of the discount just to set them back for a time when the warranty has expired.

I'm sure getting a hand from him or me won't be a problem though.  So I'll add you to the list until such a time as you tell me to remove you. 

Sure am glad I put those HID headlights in awhile back.  Enough less draw on the charging system to allow grip warmers to operate (I hope).

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2007, 09:42:54 PM »

The wiring would be simple...just switch the two wires where they connect at the compressor.   Might be a good option if they don't come out with a mirror image switch.  I'm going to see if HD will replace my grips one time, IF they will just provide the part and let ME do the work.  I don't want them in there f'ing around with my bars and internal wiring if I can help it.

TC,

I guess it's up to the dealer, but I just had my neutral light go out and I took them the indicator cluster and they ordered a new one and handed it to me when it came in. No Problem. The handgrips are a whole different ballgame, but it's worth a try to keep Curious George out of your bars.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 09:45:10 PM »

TC,

I guess it's up to the dealer, but I just had my neutral light go out and I took them the indicator cluster and they ordered a new one and handed it to me when it came in. No Problem. The handgrips are a whole different ballgame, but it's worth a try to keep Curious George out of your bars.

You know the dealer is going to submit a parts and labor claim for the warranty job.  So they're making extra if they just hand us the parts.  The determining factor would be if that service writer or service manager trusted the owner enough to think that making extra the first time wouldn't cost him more in the long run.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 09:48:51 PM »

So I'll add you to the list until such a time as you tell me to remove you. 

Sure am glad I put those HID headlights in awhile back.  Enough less draw on the charging system to allow grip warmers to operate (I hope).
That's good.  The current draw is probably substantial on a 'heater', huh?  :oops: Wonder how much 'wiggle room' we've got on the ole SEEG's?  How much do you think you saved w/ the HID's?  :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 09:56:18 PM »

That's good.  The current draw is probably substantial on a 'heater', huh?  :oops: Wonder how much 'wiggle room' we've got on the ole SEEG's?  How much do you think you saved w/ the HID's?  :nixweiss: spyder

When I installed the HID lights I actually checked that specifically Spyder.  I don't remember the numbers now but the gain was significant. 

We did not get the larger charging system in the SEEGs.  The 06s got more there than we did.  I know on mine that when riding with everything on (stock headlights, seat heater, heated jacket liner and gloves, spot lights, etc etc etc) I was max'd out.  In fact if weather was cold enough I had on the heated clothes and seat I'd turn the spotlights off.

While I don't remember off hand what the draw and supply numbers specifically were I do remember that I went from pushing the charging to over 95% max capacity as described above to having about 15% reserve capacity after the HID lights were installed.  The seat heater and the headlights are my two biggest draws.  I got the family to get me heated pants to complete the clothes this past Christmas at least partly because their draw was a bit less than the seat's.  Had I known of the headlights then the pants would have been an even more selfish gift.  I'd have asked for them anyway though.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 10:01:06 PM »

as hot as my SEEG runs, I don't need no steekiin heated pants!  har!  spyder

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 10:07:34 PM »

Several things to consider here...I might be able to talk one of the SW's into letting me have the grips, so may get them, even if I don't put them on.  I could always e-bay them.  I've got an extended warranty, so could make them do this for the next 6 years if I wanted to.  BUT, I really don't want the aggravation of having to do this several times.  I have little or no confidence in the HD grips lasting, unless they redesign them soon.  Also, I've been looking at the Iso Grips myself.  I'd like to actually feel a pair though.  

These heaters look like a better solution...the heat on the hands is a real plus.  Mounting the switch on the right side, even upside down, wouldn't be a problem for me.  Because of the mods I've made to the Legends switch, moving it is not really something I want to do.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 10:08:31 PM »

as hot as my SEEG runs, I don't need no steekiin heated pants!  har!  spyder

45 or so and the seat is pretty nice.  Much below 40 and the couple of times I used them last winter the pants weren't bad either.  One night down that unexpectedly got down in the 20s my boys were damn glad to have them.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 10:12:08 PM »

Several things to consider here...I might be able to talk one of the SW's into letting me have the grips, so may get them, even if I don't put them on.  I could always e-bay them.  I've got an extended warranty, so could make them do this for the next 6 years if I wanted to.  BUT, I really don't want the aggravation of having to do this several times.  I have little or no confidence in the HD grips lasting, unless they redesign them soon.  Also, I've been looking at the Iso Grips myself.  I'd like to actually feel a pair though.  

These heaters look like a better solution...the heat on the hands is a real plus.  Mounting the switch on the right side, even upside down, wouldn't be a problem for me.  Because of the mods I've made to the Legends switch, moving it is not really something I want to do.

TC, take a look at the Dennis Kirk site.  Their pictures of this product show the black switches all on the left.  Pictures of the chromed product show the same switch inverted on the right.  Will give you an idea of look.

Especially with the addition of your Legends hardware inside the handlebar there's no way I'd let some ham fisted tech loose on it if it were my decision to make.

Did you feel the ISO grips on mine when I was at your place?  They are such a common grip that finding something to give a little squeeze to in about any collection of bikes on a parking lot usually isn't hard to do.  If not before, however, be sure and take mine for a spin during Hot Springs to see what they feel like.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 10:15:32 PM »

Even though I guess they are I don't consider the potentially heated grips and the heated gloves to be redundant either.  My expectation of use at this point would be to use the grips when the evenings or days cooled down enough that the regular gloves weren't cutting it enough anymore.  Something simply to keep the hands comfortable during those transitions before it actually gets damn cold. 

When it gets damn cold would be back in the heated clothes.  When fully suited up there I'd assume to not have the grips turned on.  Now if it got double damn cold I'd be switching on everything I could.  The best plan, however, is just not to be out on the bike when it's double damn cold.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2007, 10:22:58 PM »

The best plan, however, is just not to be out on the bike when it's double damn cold.
that's what I was just thinking......I try not to do DDC anymore.   Or, TDH either, for that matter.  ::) har!  :drink: spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2007, 10:30:43 PM »

that's what I was just thinking......I try not to do DDC anymore.   Or, TDH either, for that matter.  ::) har!  :drink: spyder

Amen to good intentions Spyder.  Still thinking a little auxiliary heat to keep comfy those otherwise beautiful nights that happen to get just a bit Chipper (proper citation to Silver-Black) when the sun goes down wouldn't be a bad thing though.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2007, 10:34:29 PM »

TC, take a look at the Dennis Kirk site.  Their pictures of this product show the black switches all on the left.  Pictures of the chromed product show the same switch inverted on the right.  Will give you an idea of look.

Especially with the addition of your Legends hardware inside the handlebar there's no way I'd let some ham fisted tech loose on it if it were my decision to make.

Did you feel the ISO grips on mine when I was at your place?  They are such a common grip that finding something to give a little squeeze to in about any collection of bikes on a parking lot usually isn't hard to do.  If not before, however, be sure and take mine for a spin during Hot Springs to see what they feel like.

No way some Richard Head is going into my bars...there is a certain way the left side of everything has to go together, and only I know the combination.

I'll find a set to feel in the next week or so.  It's probably a safe bet to put me on the list...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.