Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: What is the one change that you'd ask HD for?  (Read 11772 times)

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: What is the one change that you'd ask HD for?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2005, 06:52:03 PM »

I'm w/ MFG. I've ordered my family's last 3 vehicles, I would like to have some options packages to choose from; drivetrain, suspension, audio, comfort (seat & bar choice) and wheel styles...........I guess then the dealers couldn't get rich off of us, huh?

yellowsed

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2005, 01:21:48 AM »

Here's a response copied from another site that I visit.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2005, 07:24:28 AM »

Two Lane

I agree 100%

Well said

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2005, 10:50:43 AM »

Twolane.....point well taken and no argument here.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 10:51:30 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2005, 11:45:21 AM »

JC, you're right in that dealerships fronting all the major automotive manufacturers are better now than they were when most of them were still mom and pops operations.  Though sometimes the farm kid who grew up wrenching in the little dealership is the best thing you're going to find.

Part of the difference may be the most dealerships anymore are bigger both physically and financially.  And they've got real competition that usually isn't too much distance away.  They also have less autonomy from their manufacturer than they use to.

All those things may be why the support given us by the Harley dealerships can be so spotty and so varied.  They often don't have any close local competition for their products and a lot of their owners don't always understand that their services could be acquired elsewhere or even done at home.  Harley has also never completely gotten away from the AMF days when it was begging for dealerships, selling dealer rights for a song, and granting little fiefdoms in the process.  It's no longer begging for dealers nor selling dealer rights for a song, but the dealers maintain their little fiefdoms to a surprising extent.  So the service departments know their corporate oversight and monitoring is minimal except for circumstances of marketing or pretty extreme error.  Some shops are good.  Too many (one would be too many) arent' though.  And way too many make you feel like a target rather than a client or a friend.

If Harley really wanted to do something to define the owner experience in a more pleasurable, stable and favorable light it would lay out some hard core definitions and set a high bar for minimal operating requirements for service departments in the dealerships.  I'm not talking about specific staffing questions here.  That's tough to mandate from above and too easily leads to draconian mandates.  But, instead, things like removing latitude on warranty questions where there really shouldn't be any, telling everyone that the corporation stands behind the rider as well as the dealership, and letting the dealership know that when standards for minimal respect to the rider weren't met they'd be sanctioned in later product allocations.

I know, these kinds of things are already in place on paper.  But they're rarely executed and they're almost never taken seriously by the local dealerships and service departments.  That's one thing that could change for the better.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2005, 12:02:59 PM »

Quality control is where it really all begins!! If the MOCO had people that really cared about the products they were sending out the door we and the dealerships would not have to deal with so many warranty issues. Issues like hand prints and the paint, runs in the clearcoat, fairings hitting fenders are all very easy to spot during a QC check. I think Harley needs to step up in the QC department BIGTIME!

There are of course other warranty items that would not be so easy to spot. That is where and when the local dealers really need to step up and the MOCO needs to be there to cover the costs. I think what has happened to some of these dealers is they may have been burned a time or to by the MOCO not backing them up after doing the work.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2005, 12:27:32 PM »

Quality control is where it really all begins!! If the MOCO had people that really cared about the products they were sending out the door we and the dealerships would not have to deal with so many warranty issues. Issues like hand prints and the paint, runs in the clearcoat, fairings hitting fenders are all very easy to spot during a QC check. I think Harley needs to step up in the QC department BIGTIME!

There are of course other warranty items that would not be so easy to spot. That is where and when the local dealers really need to step up and the MOCO needs to be there to cover the costs. I think what has happened to some of these dealers is they may have been burned a time or to by the MOCO not backing them up after doing the work.

Agreed dude, agreed.  We were just talking about exactly this issue in Mobe's "Bad Paint" thread and after his latest product supply failure.

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2005, 11:35:47 AM »

ABS would be high on my list!

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2005, 12:07:39 PM »

I'll go along with letting us order a bike the way we want it, like the auto manufacturers do. Let us make our own CVO bike.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2005, 09:19:16 PM »

would it be too much to ask for a harley that you wouldn't have to change the exhaust system, especially a CVO. If we are paying for performance, then these bikes should flow a lot better. How many pipes do you have in your garage rafters that you can't give away?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2005, 11:04:28 PM »

would it be too much to ask for a harley that you wouldn't have to change the exhaust system, especially a CVO. If we are paying for performance, then these bikes should flow a lot better. How many pipes do you have in your garage rafters that you can't give away?

As many questionable or simply parsimonious decisions Harley might (and does) make on these bikes the exhaust is something I really don't fault them for.  And it's not just a question of no two guys wanting different levels of loudness or "look."

Their master on a good deal of the exhaust decision making isn't us but the EPA.  That being so any stock exhaust (and fuel mapping) is always going to be a poor compromise relative to what the end user is most commonly looking for.

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2005, 11:24:15 PM »

Their master on a good deal of the exhaust decision making isn't us but the EPA.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 11:35:26 PM by yellowsedeuce »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2005, 01:20:22 AM »

Latest California emission's test for motorcycles.  All bikes have to go only slow enough and put out emissions such that a parakeet can hold on, keep its  little beak tucked in the muffler itself, not die, and at the end the ride still smell minty fresh.

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2005, 08:56:40 AM »

As many questionable or simply parsimonious decisions Harley might (and does) make on these bikes the exhaust is something I really don't fault them for.

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2005, 09:15:14 AM »

i would like to see different motor pkgs available from the factory.
i had to go through the dealer to have my 103 installed.
and if i wanted to buy the whole motor, than i would have had my 88" to take home.
pretty stupid if you ask me.
i wanted the cvo motor, but i wanted a rk classic.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 20 queries.