Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Painted Sheet Metal  (Read 11677 times)

Deuces_Wild

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Painted Sheet Metal
« on: January 14, 2005, 10:19:39 AM »

How do you get replacment prepainted CVO sheet metal.  I have an 04 SE deuce in cobalt blue.  Took it to the dealer for it's 1000 mile service.  The bike came back with 2 large 1 to 2" scratched down to the primer in the rear fender and one on the lower left of the tank, along with scratches in the air breather cover and clutch cover.  Dealer refuses to replace fender, tank or chrome parts.  He will only send the fender and tank out to a guy he uses and have the partically repainted, but will not replace the chrome parts at all. Long story, terrible dealership. So is it possible to get this sheet metal replaced through Harley.  Advice needed.

Thanks

Tony

New to the Forum.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Painted Sheet Metal
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 12:04:41 PM »

OUCH!!!, Be sure to post the dealer name so we all know where not to go!!! As far as your parts if they scratched them they are responsible to repair or replace them.

Deuces_Wild

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 01:08:29 PM »

Yes, I know they are, but they are dead set on repaint only and not replacment. I ask you, would you want you new CVO bike partly repainted?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 01:12:51 PM »

Yes, I know they are, but they are dead set on repaint only and not replacment. I ask you, would you want you new CVO bike partly repainted?

You might want to call customer service at HD.  I'd not accept a repaint from an indipendent painter, either.  I say if it's going to be repainted, it's going to be HD that does it.  I believe the Customer Service number is in your owner's manuel.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 01:18:54 PM »

Absolutley not!!! But if they are willing to fix it they may be your only choice, If they have a good painter that can repair so you can't tell it was damaged.
As far as the chrome goes there is no way to repair those parts so they will have to replace them. I would take lots of pictures of the damage and prepare for a legal battle.

I would hate to be in your postition!!! [smiley=furious.gif] Do tell us all the Dealer ......

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 01:20:04 PM »

OUCH!!!, Be sure to post the dealer name so we all know where not to go!!! As far as your parts if they scratched them they are responsible to repair or replace them.

Deuces_Wild, We would like to know the Dealer that is giving you this run around. Also, are you dealing with a manager?  The paint to purchase yourself is an awful lot of money. I think I'd be going to customer service, also.  If they scratched it, they gotta fix it, but do they have to fix by replacement?   [smiley=oops.gif]

What a bummer, but can I tell you, I really like your bike.

To contact the Motor Company directly, please write:

Harley-Davidson customer service  
3700 W. Juneau Avenue  
Milwaukee, WI 53208  

To speak with a Harley-Davidson customer service representative call (414) 343-4056.
Sorry, we're unable to receive e-mail at this time.

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 02:16:09 PM »

Tony;   All of the CVO painted parts are available from HD. Since it is a non current model year bike, I believe they will be sourced from HD's independent paint contractor, (caliber). I understand how you feel about the paint and I would not settle for less than new parts or parts refinished at the factory's paint shop, (caliber).
 I recently had my dealer damage one of my saddlebags while I was having some other parts replaced, but they stepped up to the plate and ordered me a new saddlebag lower.
 What I will probably do in the future is take my bags off before service and take date stamped photos of the bike before I turn them loose with it.
MObe

Deuces_Wild

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 02:40:35 PM »

At this point I'm still trying to get something done, so I feel I need to wait before posting any names.  But I do have a rough draft of the whole ordeal I will be sending to Harley Corperate like I said at this point it's a rough draft, alot of rambling, but you should understand where I coming from and how POed I really ambling... Also I am taking the bike over to a real shop Monday to have it retuned, off idle to 2200rpms it runs like crap, the dealer in question says thats the way it's suppose to run and doesn't tun e anything below 2000rpms and won't fix it either.  

Rough Draft

On December 10, 2004, I took my new 2004 Screamin Eagle Deuce into my local Harley Dealer for its 1000 mile service, stage 1 breather kit, Vance & Hines pipes, Harley pager system and a Dyno Tune.  Before delivery of the bike to their service department, I asked for a written estimate for the service and the installation of the Breather Kit, pipes, pager, HD race tuner and the dyno tune, and that I would supply all the parts for the work beyond the 1000 mile service. The guy behind the counter acted real nervous about giving me a written estimate, he then explained he was new and didn

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 03:06:11 PM »

Man....Oh......Man.....you have got to tell us the name of this dealership. I am amazed that you didn't go wild over the " quit whining and ride comment". I would for sure copy that invoice and sent it to the MOCO. I'm sure that they would be real interested to see it. I can't believe that the MOCO wouldn't at least be giving them a call on that one. I can't believe that they want those kinds of clowns as dealers!
MObe

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 04:03:27 PM »

I may be in the minority here, but I think Tony's doing the right thing by not posting the dealer's name at this point.  A guy on another forum smeared a dealer's name there for all to see and ended up getting NOWHERE once the dealer found out about it.  No doubt you had a terrible experience to say the least but I agree with JC that taking it up the chain of command to H-D customer service is the right thing to do and your letter seems like a good start.  Run the spell check before sending, though. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 06:16:14 PM »

I'm with 103 with this one in fronting the dealers' name on the web at this point.  It's one of the most powerful tools left available to you.  Without mentioning the name, I can guess the dealership in Central FL and they are not without many similar incidents, both in shoddy work and p....ss poor attitude.  Fortunately, one of the best HD District Managers covers the area that you are in.  I would call customer service, (they will provide you with a fax number), fax your final draft memo and request a face to face meeting with the District Manager prior to your retaining counsel and/or pursuing a fraud allegation with the district attorney.  (I think you will find that the meeting will be scheduled promptly.)  Be aware that HD will only address the issue from a corporate reputation standpoint as they do not stand behind independent dealer negligence.  They can, however, put pressure on this dealership that you can't.  Good luck and very sorry to hear about the grief.  

Deuces_Wild

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2005, 04:59:28 PM »

"UPDATE"

After weeks of bickering, the dealer has replace the 2 scratched chrome covers, although they weren't happy to do it.  On another note, I had the bike retuned,  the dyno work during the before mentioned service left the bike hardly ridable under 2200 rpm's, bucked, missed, popped and even on occasion backfired. The dealer told me that this was all normal, caused by the SE203 cam that came stock in my bike.  Well after hearing this, along with the other problems, I took it to a respected performance shop and had them re-tune it.  Man what a difference, the bike now runs great with no pops, missing or any other malfuction.  Hats off to the guys at Cycle Rama. Real pro's. I decided this was the last straw and turn the before posted letter over to Harley's Customer Service, (edited of course) so far not much has happened, but then again it's only been a few days.  The customer service person told me they really didn't have much power over the dealer.  I explain, I wanted to contact the district Manager and I was told that would possibly not happen, unless they felt it was relavant, what ever that means. So I'm still waiting to hear the final word from Harley.  Does anyone know who the Central Florida district rep is and how to contact him.  I really think my issues warrant a face to face talk and to allow him to look at the damage they caused my ride.  

Thanks Guys, I'll keep you posted, on the latest developments.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2005, 07:07:11 PM »

"UPDATE"

After weeks of bickering, the dealer has replace the 2 scratched chrome covers, although they weren't happy to do it.

Deuces_Wild

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 07:42:21 PM »

No, they haven't done anything, but what they offered earlier, to have a Chrysler dealership painter re-paint half the rear fencer and do a blend on the tank, which Harley says they shouldn't be doing on a CVO bike, go figure! Although Harley stated this Harley's home office still hasn't done much as of yet.  I will give them till Monday and then will contact them again.  As of today Harley customer service has refused to put me in contact with the district rep and or Manager.  The dealership did show me a custom job this painter did for them, I must say I wasn't impressed at all.  Alot of orange peal in it and a real nasty uneven coat system, I was floored when they stated what ngreat work the guy does.  I've seen people do work with sray bombs and look better, get this because of the Ghost flames and the dealership installed fat tire kit thier asking 30 grand for this bike. A stock 05 softail with ghost flames and fat tire kit and wheels.  Does this justify the price?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 01:23:17 AM »

No, they haven't done anything, but what they offered earlier, to have a Chrysler dealership painter re-paint half the rear fencer and do a blend on the tank, which Harley says they shouldn't be doing on a CVO bike, go figure! Although Harley stated this Harley's home office still hasn't done much as of yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 20 queries.